Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!!

I'm going to pick up the abs book when I get home this weekend. Plan to start around the same time as Mary. I' know Alwyn may have said it's no "designed" for fat loss, but I've lost an estimated 10%. Let's face it, I eat kinda crappy, but I'm a veggie/chicken crap eating kinda girl. Maybe that has something to do with it. I'm high sugar, low fat, fairly good on cals. I'm way over today, but did good yesterday, considering the few opportunities to eat well here in the mountains. I'm meeting with a PT next week. Not sure what to do with that. Always a sales pitch, but I obviously am not in "need" of his services, but curious about what he thinks he can do for me...besides check on form. I have seen some of those guys teaching their folks "bad" form. So, what should I do with this guy? Ideas? Also, is there a way to access the forums from the mobile app?

I actually have to get on the web on my phone and go to the regular website to look at the forums. I've posted here from my phone a couple of times and sounded like an idiot though.

A PT can be good or bad. There is one in my gym that has approached me 3-4 times (def not hitting on me) and I swear nothing makes my blood boil more that that. I honestly take it as a slap in the face. Remember, I'm at a gym with AMAZING women. Just yesterday there was a lady doing all kinds of crazy pushups with absolute perfect form. Do you think he's going up and asking them? Doubt it! Plus, I'm pretty confrontational so unless he's a complete moron, he has to know that it irritates me for him to ask.

That being said, these women that are in pysique contests get a PT so there's definately some benefit if you go with the right one.

For instance, anyone see this thread? Look at the last page at the woman that went from probably where a lot of us started out in November and then did a fitness comp in April. WTF? 5 months? I want to know the secret to that sauce.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/589405-real-mfp-women-weight-training-befores-and-afters?page=5
  • Bluemountain22
    Bluemountain22 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    How much weight are you trying to lose (well, that you *think* you're trying to lose)? I mean, a 3lb loss is actually pretty fantastic considering your gains and the fact that you're more than likely retaining quite a bit of water still.

I'm 5ft5 and currenly 155lb trying to get down to 140lb so still have 15lb to lose. I need to lose 5lb to have a healthy BMI.
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    How much weight are you trying to lose (well, that you *think* you're trying to lose)? I mean, a 3lb loss is actually pretty fantastic considering your gains and the fact that you're more than likely retaining quite a bit of water still.

I'm 5ft5 and currenly 155lb trying to get down to 140lb so still have 15lb to lose. I need to lose 5lb to have a healthy BMI.

Hmmm....I'd stick with it. That's about the equivalent to what a lot of us (including me) are battling. It's been a mental game for me to stay the course though. I mentally know that this is what I need to be doing but I'm used to being able to EASILY shed these last 10lbs so it's frustrating. I just have to remind myself that I can lose that last 10lbs easily but the ALWAYS COME BACK. It's time for something different (for me).

After this, I still plan on doing Insanity if I can work it out logistically. I workout at the gym during lunch and only during lunch so I'd have to find a place in my office building to do it which may be kinda weird. My husband is doing it and I know he's a male but whoa, he's got muscles popping out all over the place (in between his whining and moaning). I wanted this foundation because as I've stated before, I've lost a lot of muscle over the years. I don't think I'll be finish gaining them back, but I certainly don't think I'll lose any muscle during Insanity either.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,966 Member
    Options
    I think you are confusing what "BMI" reports.....meaning, the BMI has NEVER worked for muscle-heads. Ever. My husband is "overweight" by BMI standards - he's 6'3" and about 215 lbs. Most of which is muscle....so, he has NEVER paid attention to BMI because it is NOT a correct measurement for people with low body fat %. True story.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I have a BB, so there is NO "forum-posting" on that app....I can just log food and exercise. Period.

(I'm okay with this....I spend entirely TOO much time on mfp, in my opinion.)
  • Bluemountain22
    Options
    I think you are confusing what "BMI" reports.....meaning, the BMI has NEVER worked for muscle-heads. Ever. My husband is "overweight" by BMI standards - he's 6'3" and about 215 lbs. Most of which is muscle....so, he has NEVER paid attention to BMI because it is NOT a correct measurement for people with low body fat %. True story.

Ah but I'm not a muscle head, an athlete or someone with a large frame; I definitely do not have a low body fat percentage and a lot of muscle! So right now BMI seems like a good indicator for health :) .

Obviously I'm working on the fat loss and muscle retentaining/building though :)
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    For instance, anyone see this thread? Look at the last page at the woman that went from probably where a lot of us started out in November and then did a fitness comp in April. WTF? 5 months? I want to know the secret to that sauce.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/589405-real-mfp-women-weight-training-befores-and-afters?page=5

I just spit my drink everywhere.
    This is proof that my macros suck and I suck and am going to get enough damn protein today I suck suck suck.

Also, my android app wont allow forum posting either. Only just got the update to look at food diaries.. wish I didn't. I can spend hours looking at what other people are eating.

I'm about to do one of these stage 3 workouts. I forget which one.
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!!

I'm going to pick up the abs book when I get home this weekend. Plan to start around the same time as Mary. I' know Alwyn may have said it's no "designed" for fat loss, but I've lost an estimated 10%. Let's face it, I eat kinda crappy, but I'm a veggie/chicken crap eating kinda girl. Maybe that has something to do with it. I'm high sugar, low fat, fairly good on cals. I'm way over today, but did good yesterday, considering the few opportunities to eat well here in the mountains. I'm meeting with a PT next week. Not sure what to do with that. Always a sales pitch, but I obviously am not in "need" of his services, but curious about what he thinks he can do for me...besides check on form. I have seen some of those guys teaching their folks "bad" form. So, what should I do with this guy? Ideas? Also, is there a way to access the forums from the mobile app?

I actually have to get on the web on my phone and go to the regular website to look at the forums. I've posted here from my phone a couple of times and sounded like an idiot though.

A PT can be good or bad. There is one in my gym that has approached me 3-4 times (def not hitting on me) and I swear nothing makes my blood boil more that that. I honestly take it as a slap in the face. Remember, I'm at a gym with AMAZING women. Just yesterday there was a lady doing all kinds of crazy pushups with absolute perfect form. Do you think he's going up and asking them? Doubt it! Plus, I'm pretty confrontational so unless he's a complete moron, he has to know that it irritates me for him to ask.

That being said, these women that are in pysique contests get a PT so there's definately some benefit if you go with the right one.

I PMed her. I'll send you what she sent me. It's vague, imho.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I hear ya, TheFunBun.

I think you also have to think of these things:

1. How badly do I want *IT*? (Meaning: the shape the woman in the thread is in.)
    2. How much time am I going to expend on this adventure?
    3. How much energy am I going to expend on this adventure?
    4. How much can I sacrifice or am I willing to sacrifice for this adventure?
    5. How old am I?

I think, if I REALLY wanted *it*, I would have to devote 3-4 hours PER DAY to the endeavour (that means measuring out foods, cooking all foods cleanly, exercising, etc.). I am not willing to devote 3-4 hours PER DAY to this endeavour.

So, that is REALLY where it starts and ends, for me.

Plus, I'm 43. I might FEEL 23, but I'm not. So, it's tougher to get to the place that I want to....I have 25 years of experience that has taught me how TOUGH it is to LOOK THAT WAY.

Most of the women I know, who have the sort of figure that can "compete", already have a CAREER that lends itself to fitness. Meaning: they are personal trainers, or fitness instructors, or, or, or. They don't have a desk job, like I do (which, of course, is 100% my choice!)
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    PS - I stepped on the scale, today, for the first time in 33 days. I have gained a whole 0.9 lbs. And, given how much weight can fluctuate, one way or the other, I really am THE SAME.

This was *good* news!! (Especially considering I had 5 date-nights, IN A ROW, with my husband last week!)

I am now in a good place and really want to keep away from the scale. So, I'll continue with my plan to ONLY weight once-per-month, at the end-of-the-month when I take my fitness challenge measurements and photos!

YEAH!!
  • manic4titans
    Options
    fatty, ( I don't like typing that :frown: ) I would stick with the program. As JNH, stated we ALL have been there.

Beeps, I hear ya. I will be 41 this year and I just want to lose my saddlebags, be a little leaner, and healthier. No desire to be a fitness model, competitor, or look like an Olympian. Well, I would like to but I am not willing to adhere to strict diets or hours in the gym. I want to LIVE.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

Holy crap... I would never look that good at 220 even at my best physically! DAMN!! Beeps you nailed it. I will never ever have the time, or the desire to do the work necessary to look like that. I want my butt to be back where it's supposed to be, I want that bowl of jelly that is my belly to be not jiggly, I want my thighs to stop moving when my legs do, not 5 minutes afterwards AND, I want my batwings GONE!!

Yup I'll do the work needed, but I'm not going to stress about getting a real body builders physique. That's just not where I want to go. And Beeps like you, I'm not even sweating the scale right now. I'm working on muscles and feeding them properly which means I have to be more diligent about the protein! It's wicked hard to get it all each day I'll tell you!!

I deadlifted 80 today! I'm a happy camper!
  • manic4titans
    Options
    Sue ! That is great! You are way ahead of me. I didn't start lifting that heavy until late stage 3 early 4. I totally wimped out the first half of this program.

AWESOME JOB!
  • Bluemountain22
    Options
    fatty, ( I don't like typing that :frown: ) I would stick with the program. As JNH, stated we ALL have been there.

Sorry, I don't men to cause any offence with my username...it's a long suffering nickname by my two cousins.

Onto stage 2 next week :)
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Beeps - Awesome scale victory!!!! and I'm with you on not wanting to devote my days to the lifstyle. Besides I just don't have the time. I was up 5 lbs after vacation at the beginning of July and didn't weigh all month and am down almost a lb, which is pretty good considering I've been eating terribly and not drinking enough water.

I don't remember who posted a link to Nia Shank's blog originally, but I am absolutely loving her posts. Here is the most recent one - http://www.niashanks.com/2012/07/10-commandments-for-simple-fat-loss/

5B1 done today - used my gym at work (which means no barbell) but was able to use 40lb dumbbells for the RDL/row. I only go up to 25lbs at home, so just may need to use the gym at work for the rest of this stage and just forego using the barbell. Only thing is they don't have a cable machine either so won't be able to do the wood chop unless I do it at home later.

Oh - and great job Sue!!!
  • manic4titans
    Options
    If you aren't offended at it, I'm ok with it. I just only type out the 1st part of the username and feel weird to call you "fatty" .
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I say we use "fbb" instead of "fatty" :bigsmile:
  • Bluemountain22
    Options

Absolutely fine :)
  • celeste_xo
    celeste_xo Posts: 88
    Options
    Hi all! I'm about to start NROL4W tonight. Super excited! it looks like a lot of you have had amazing results from it! Feel free to add me, the more friends the merrier :)
  • manic4titans
    Options

:happy: sounds good

why didn't I think of that?:ohwell: