Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• LB2LL
    LB2LL Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    LB2LL - I HATE 3 sets! That being said I tend to try and up my weights on the second set. I'll do what I did for the last workout first and then up it for the my second set and then see how I feel for my third. Give it a try that way!

Also, I am gearing up for Beeps' february challenge already!!! My hubby LOVES Tim Ferris (the writer of the 4 hour body and creator of the slow carb diet) and he created a website called dietbet.com Basically we had to buy in ($50) and we have 30 days to lose 4% of our body weight - this means I HAVE to stick to my "cut" value or I'll lose my $! This is excellent motivation for me! Back to my regular schedule next week (I have 2 offices and I can only go to the gym from one office) so I'll get to lift 3 days instead of 2!

I think I will use that method for today! First day of three sets! I went for a run yesterday and thankfully I'm not sore. I was not feeling the gym but pushed through, which I'm pretty happy about.

I've decided to do a couple road races in the middle of all of this. I am hesitant because I know in the further stages this might be tough to pull off but maybe I will just go down to 2x/wk of lifting. I sort of miss running. I signed up for a mud race and now I need to think of a baller team name!
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    OMG I'm going to change your names to Chatty Cathy!! I can't keep up with you!!

I am leaving in 30 minutes for the airport! Whoop whoop!!! 9 days in FL. Went to the gym today for my last "break" workout. Damn my trainer is tough! He says "we're going to mix it up a bit" and proceeded to KILL me with circuits! Hell I was beat after his warm up! The first circuit was 4 exercises 4 times 1 minute each exercise 15 sec break in between.. TRX lunges, pushups, bent over db rows and jumping jacks. Then I had a 5 min rest and the 2nd circuit. 10 straight arm pulldowns, 5 jump squats with 6# medicine ball, 15 swissball crunches and 5 each step ups kick back lunges - AMRAP in 15. OMG!! My HRM kept beeping at me cuz I was over the heart rate! LOL

I will sleep on the plane for sure!

I'll check in as I can, and I am bringing my bands so I'll do some light workouts in the morning before we head out.
  • LB2LL
    LB2LL Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Sue - Have fun! It sounds like you got in a kick *kitten* workout! You deserve a break :)
  • rachietuk
    rachietuk Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    LB2LL - I HATE 3 sets! That being said I tend to try and up my weights on the second set. I'll do what I did for the last workout first and then up it for the my second set and then see how I feel for my third. Give it a try that way!

Thjis is a great idea, I will be using this method.
    Thanks
  • tennesseeleigh
    Options
    Hey guys,

Here's a little bit about me.

I'm in Jackson, TN. Lived in Nashville for a while and loved it but have been back in West TN for more than a decade now.

I'm very excited to get started. I lifted heavy when I was in law school and really enjoyed it. Then I worked out at a hole in the wall gym and the owner trained me for free. Since then I've dabbled with weights but mostly been on and off the cardio wagon. Got into running a few years back and did that almost exclusively until I had to have surgery (not running related) on both feet. After my surgeries, DH and I started TTC so fitness took a backseat. Now our son is 15 months old and I'm ready to really get back into working out. I'm down 33 lbs from my all time heaviest and have lost my pregnancy weight and then some but still need to lose a good bit. My exercise over the last year has been walking and some limited running.

Right now I weigh almost exactly what I weighed when I graduated law school but I'm wearing clothes at least two sizes bigger because I am carrying around fat instead of muscle. My once awesome booty has disappeared without regular weight workouts and I feel just sort of flabby and soft all over. I'm in a size 14 right now and would like to make it to a size 8 or so.

There is a new gym opening up downtown where I work and that means I'll be able to do most of my workouts on an extended lunch hour without having to take extra time away from the kiddo. Devouring NROL4W this weekend and plan to get started on Monday.

Thanks to all for the warm welcome. :-)
  • Jessica1274
    Jessica1274 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Good gracious! I can't keep up!

Mary, how is your back feeling?

So far so good! I am taking this time around slow and really focusing on the muscles and form. No pain BUT I have been using very little weights .
    Today:

deadlift: bar only
    2 lbs for shoulder press (but as most of us know I have nerve damage in the right shoulder so I can't press up much anyway)
    wide grip pull down 48 pounds
    lunges no weights
    crunch no weight

30 minutes elliptical

Thanks for asking:flowerforyou:

Glad you're doing well. :smile:
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,971 Member
    Options
    sue, have a great trip!

Alright, for the "newcomers" to the DAILY CHAT THREAD, please report in as to whether (or not), you are going to join the FEBRUARY CHALLENGE!

It is a 4-week challenge. The purpose? To create the LONGEST streak that you can! It can be any type of streak, here are some examples:

1. daily work-outs
    2. <daily alotted calories
    3. getting in all your water on a daily basis
    4. getting all your protein in on a daily basis
    5. making sure you are getting 7 - 8 hours of sleep every night

So, pick your poison!

Studies have shown that when a person gets a "streak" going, they are LESS likely to deviate from that behaviour....so, streaks are a GREAT WAY to get a "healthy, new habit" into your lifestyle.

Just let me know WHAT your "streak" is gonna be about, and I'll add you in.

Remember, it's TOTALLY OKAY to "break your streak" - you can always start a new one the next day!

A *perfect* February challenge would mean you have earned 28 points (one for each day of your streak). But, if you blew your streak 4 times during the month, you'd still end up with 24 points!

We start Feb. 1. I'll report results on a weekly basis.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Got my lifting in, today. And, lost another 0.6 lbs!

So, yay, I guess all that holiday nonsense was PURE BLOAT! Yahoo!!!!!

i now weigh less than I did before I left on vacation. This is very good for my 6-month challenge results and my 8-week-NON-challenge results, lol.

PS - I broke my 'streak' yesterday. But, just started a new one, today, when I got my lifting session in and done!
  • emgel9
    emgel9 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    yay Beeps!!!! I love when a weight gain turns out to be water weight =D

As for me, I need to change my February challenge. Eating is a big issue for me and even though I HAVE been sticking to my cut value I haven't been great about macros or anything so I'm not "feeling" great. I am also doing Tim Ferris' February dietbet (www.dietbet.com) with my husband (to help him get back on track!) so I am going to slow carb it for february. SO my streak is still food related, but rather than eating only 1800/day it will be to stick to the slow carb diet (this is how hubby eats so when he is on track I am on track because we don't eat carbs at home).

It's crazy because I am in, by far, the best shape of my life (running 10+ miles, lifting 2-3x a week, working out 6 days a week, i can do push ups!) but I let all that exercise be an excuse for poor food choices. SO NO MORE! GO TEAM!
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Dude, how long was I gone? I swear, I've been so busy this year I can't keep up with anything. Hi everyone!! So doctor says still no lifting, and Don't even get me started about the to do with my GYN about the breast, but I'll be seeing my GP instead. (I feel much better.

I MISS LIFTING!!!!

I'm doing classes right now because I'm a machine moron. This program has taught me something...how to lift actual weights, so I really have no idea what machines I would even use. I may not be able to lift for real for another couple weeks. I can't even carry groceries bags. I used to carry huge grocery bags :( To quote the PA, "You're getting older, you don't heal as fast as you used to. " thanks for the uplifting bit.

Ladies, I'm sorry. I' know I've really been MIA and whenever I do come here I b*tch. Classes are fun at least. I'll really have to watch my calories though. I just don't work as hard jumping around as I do pumping iron.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    emgel - I've updated your "streak" challenge!

samntha - come join THE STREAK CHALLENGE! You can make it diet-related, sleep-related, whatever your pleasure.
  • kmsairam
    kmsairam Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I can't keep up!! :( I had a terrible week. I went to the gym ONCE and did ONE lifting session. Maybe if a miracle happens I can get there tomorrow and do my 5B workout. I'm so ready to be done with Stage 5. That said, even though I'm not going 3X/week like I used to, I'm still getting stronger! I'm doing 32.5 on the dumbbell overhead snatch thing. And 35 (each) on my incline bench press. I miss pushups and squats though doing Stages 3 and 5. (I also hate these stages, btw)

Welcome to the newbies!
  • samntha14
    Options
    emgel - I've updated your "streak" challenge!

samntha - come join THE STREAK CHALLENGE! You can make it diet-related, sleep-related, whatever your pleasure.
    I did join, you have me on the list., but thanks for the encouragement.
  • samntha14
    Options
    Hi all. I can't keep up!! :( I had a terrible week. I went to the gym ONCE and did ONE lifting session. Maybe if a miracle happens I can get there tomorrow and do my 5B workout. I'm so ready to be done with Stage 5. That said, even though I'm not going 3X/week like I used to, I'm still getting stronger! I'm doing 32.5 on the dumbbell overhead snatch thing. And 35 (each) on my incline bench press. I miss pushups and squats though doing Stages 3 and 5. (I also hate these stages, btw)

Welcome to the newbies!
    I'm so jealous of your snatch weight. Way to go!!
  • samntha14
    Options
    Well, I finally was able to take the Friday night Zumba class. I've been wanting to take this class for a while because of the instructor, but I lift on Fridays' normally. She didn't push hard because of her own recent injury, but she is one bad-*kitten* chick. SHe is a trainer who does competitive body-building (but she's a little thing upgrading to the physique class.) We got to talking, she was amazed by my story, and I think I'm going to have to find a way to take her class on the regular.
  • samntha14
    Options
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    sue, have a great trip!

Alright, for the "newcomers" to the DAILY CHAT THREAD, please report in as to whether (or not), you are going to join the FEBRUARY CHALLENGE!

It is a 4-week challenge. The purpose? To create the LONGEST streak that you can! It can be any type of streak, here are some examples:

1. daily work-outs
    2. <daily alotted calories
    3. getting in all your water on a daily basis
    4. getting all your protein in on a daily basis
    5. making sure you are getting 7 - 8 hours of sleep every night

So, pick your poison!

Studies have shown that when a person gets a "streak" going, they are LESS likely to deviate from that behaviour....so, streaks are a GREAT WAY to get a "healthy, new habit" into your lifestyle.

Just let me know WHAT your "streak" is gonna be about, and I'll add you in.

Remember, it's TOTALLY OKAY to "break your streak" - you can always start a new one the next day!

A *perfect* February challenge would mean you have earned 28 points (one for each day of your streak). But, if you blew your streak 4 times during the month, you'd still end up with 24 points!

We start Feb. 1. I'll report results on a weekly basis.

Ahh I really need to work on my water and macros. How do I sign up for the challenge?
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    katwhelton - what would you prefer for the challenge: "daily water" or "daily macros"?

I had a very nice weekend. My parents arrived for a visit! It was busy as heck, though, with basketball games, ice hockey games and swimming times for the kids. Whew! I'm kind of exhausted.

Anyway, I'll get to the gym, today. I'll lift. And I'll feel better for it!
  • emgel9
    emgel9 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    woohoo! Great lifting day today! I got up to 90lbs for the first time ever on my squats! I did 7lb/15lb on my one handed overhead squat thing and 70lbs on my bent over row! These are all PRs for me =D

Today is Day 1 of slow carbing it for me...not sure I packed enough snacks! I also need to get off of MFP forums so i can concentrate on work! Have a great day everyone!
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    katwhelton - what would you prefer for the challenge: "daily water" or "daily macros"?

I had a very nice weekend. My parents arrived for a visit! It was busy as heck, though, with basketball games, ice hockey games and swimming times for the kids. Whew! I'm kind of exhausted.

Anyway, I'll get to the gym, today. I'll lift. And I'll feel better for it!

Hi Beeps, I'll go with "daily macros". Trying to get back on track with my clean eating!

I just got back to the gym last night after over a week off for the flu. So glad to be back and I was able to increase my squat, seated row, and kettlebell swing weights for this workout :smile: