Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,986 Member
    Options
    Welcome back, Sue.

samntha - sometimes I log on here on the weekend and there haven't been ANY posts since my last one!

chubby - go rock STAGE 7 - WOO HOO!

gadennie & rachie - congrats on some "soreness" - especially if it makes you want to go BACK to the gym for MORE!

jcs - if you still have fat to lose, I wouldn't go all the way back up to 1,800 calories. How tall are you? If you've truly been eating ONLY 1,200 calories, per day, for the last 4 months (i.e. NO cheats....), then I would suggest going up 100 calories, per day, at a time. Make it 1,300 calories for next week. See what happens. If no "whoosh" on the scale, make it 1,400 calories, per day, for next week. The closer you are to "goal", the longer it will take to lose the weight. But, at 1,800 calories per day, I would lose NOTHING (I'm 5'9"). Period.

LB2LL - congrats on nearing the end of Stage 1.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    My streak is good....started on Friday, and have done a work-out every single day since then! Today, I lift.
  • Holmfridur_Gestsdottir
    Options
    Jcjsjones:

I would think that you'd have a hard time gaining muscle on only 1800 cals. I don't even have an idea how people are able to survive on 1200 cals a day, much less exercise 6 times a week, so you must be some kind of a superwoman ;) But seriously, I would think that you should aim for either one, not both at the same time. Lou explains very well in the book that the goal of the program is to speed up the metabolism and build muscle, not to slow it down. Which means that he recommends eating more, not less. It is a lot of stress on the body to be simultaneously eating only 75% of it's needs, as well as doing such a demanding physical program. Besides, it is very, very hard for us ladies to build muscles, and when you are so far behind your caloric needs, it is probably next to impossible to build muscle. I suggest that you re-read the nutrition part of the book, because he explains this mechanism very well IMHO. I wouldn't be surprised that you would find your workouts much more productive when you are properly nourished and have the extra energy.

ETA - just saw what Beeps said. She has a point. Eventually, I think it's about what you want. If you think losing weight is more important, then you should eat below maintainance. However if you think building strength is more important, then there is nothing much going to happen if you're eating 1200 or 1300 cals a day. Your body will not see a reason to build tissue that requires more calories than before when you are only eating 55-60% of what you need to break even - essentially in starvation mode. .I would think that what you get out of the workouts is to (hopefully) keep what you already have, that is, stopping your body from breaking down more muscle tissue to try to conserve energy.
  • jcjsjones
    jcjsjones Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I say 1200, but I would eat back some of my exercise calories most of the time. That was also doing nothing but cardio (running, Zumba, walking..etc). If I move up to 1800 calories I will not eat any of my exercise calories I earn, so I guess it would actually only be about a 300-400 calorie increase instead of a 600. May not be as much of a shock to my system as I think.

I am 5'6".
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Another newbie to lifting here. I have been wanting to lift for about a year now, but joining a gym wasn't really a practical option for me, so I was doing home DVD's, and while that did make me stronger than I was, coming from a zero exercise background, it wasn't giving me the body I want. So, I finally got off my rear end and found a weight set on Craigslist. Consumed the NROL4W book in about 2 days, and did my first workout yesterday. I'm 49, almost 50, and I know I need to build some strength before I get any older. Plus, I want to look hot in that mid-life crisis sort of way, I'd love to dress like a 25 year old but not unless I have the body of one. LOL!

I've been eating at TDEE - % for about a year now so the nutrition end of the book is not new to me. I don't have a lot of weight to lose so I have been at about 10-12% deficit. My plan was to keep that deficit, but I was really hungry after the workout, and with the double protein shake I drank, that put me at about maintenance level yesterday. So now I'm thinking maybe eat maintenance on workout days, and deficit on non-workout days. But I'll see how that goes and reevaluate if necessary.
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    jcjs - welcome! I'm 5'6" and when I'm eating aroung 1800, I do still lose, but it's slow, which is really how it should be. I was not being very diligent for a few months and got up to 158 lbs, but I lost almost 4 lbs last month eating at 1800 calories lifting 3 days a week, going yoga 3 days a week (on lifting days) and cardio 2-3 days a week (non lifting days).

deksgrl - welcome! sounds like you have a good plan to start. Good luck!

My streak is still in tact. However since I was lazy this morning, I have to try to get my lifting in this afternoon when I get home, before I leave for my bible study but after my 7th graders basketball game. Normally I would just go to the gym at lunch, but I have to work thru lunch so I can leave early for the game.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Darn it... i had a lovely little message all typed up and ready to send when poof, IE crashed. :grumble:

So I eat 1500-1800 on nonlifting days and 1800-2100 on days I lift. Sometimes I struggle to get the cals in and I think I'm going to add a protein drink before bed since I have read that can help with muscle recovery. My numbers are on par with the NROL4W calculations, and I really try to get 150gms of protein daily though I don't follow the meal plan closely. At the moment, I'm focused on building muscle, however, I don't want to gain weight.

I am good on the challenge, My alarm didn't go off this morning (human error!!) so no lifting today. I've been doing stairs though, since I won't have time to do anything after work.

Tomorrow I will be at the gym bright (????) and early (!!!) and get started on Stage 4. I'm hoping to see some serious improvement over Stage 2, though I'm in about the same situation as I was when I started that stage - just returning from several days of vacation. I didn't heavy lift this vacation but did BW work and also had my bands for upper body work. We'll see what happens!

Glad to see all you new posters!
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Hello

Well I started today, but wow that kicked my *kitten*. I'm in worse shape than I thought. :noway: I struggled so much with the press ups on (about) a 45 angle and my thighs are killing already from the squats. Oh well, at least I can only get better.

What do people do about stretching afterwards? I did some general stretching - but not sure if I should be doing anything specific.

Thanks all :drinker:
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Hi, Newme! As for stretching, I do the basics. The other ladies can/will give better instructions.

Last time around , I focused on how much I could lift. This time, I'm really focusing on form and the muscles working. My squats are much deeper than previously . :bigsmile: Maybe just maybe I'll see some results along with adding cardio.

I used a 10 bar for the squat today . A couple of trainers at the gym told me I would be able to lift heavy again but to take it slow. I'm just excited I squatted deep!
  • emgel9
    emgel9 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Hey newme! Welcome! Everything will only get better, easier, and more natural...and then you will start a new stage and it will be all great soreness and pain again! It does get easier to go through though.

As for stretches: I suck. I almost never stretch because I am so strapped for time when I workout. On days I end up with bad DOMS I use my foam roller (which I have at home)

My best advice for soreness: do some cardio on your off days and get those muscles moving!

Hit 95 on my squat today! My form did suffer a little so I am not quite ready for 100...but MENTALLY I am ready! I finish stage 3 on Wednesday and I think I am going to miss it!
  • LB2LL
    LB2LL Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Ditto on cardio on the off days to help with DOMs. It doesn't have to be anything intense either. Hit up the bike or go for a walk on the treadmill, just something to loosen your muscles up!

As for stretching I do all of the basics that I used to back in the day for sports. If I have time I do a bit of dynamic stretching and then close with the standard stretches. Half of the time I am BAD and I do like 1-2 minutes of dynamic and another minute or two of standard stationary. Oops :embarassed:
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I think stretching AFTER a strength work-out is MANDATORY! (At least, for me....)

I stretch my quads, my hams and my glutes. For sure. I also roll my IT band - and am now rumble-rolling, so have these loverly bruises all up-and-down the sides of my legs (to prove it).

I also try to stretch my calves, my chest and my back, but am less inclined to stretch my upper- body than I do my lower- body.

I usually forget to stretch my bi's and tri's - but, my Saturday class has a good all-over stretch session at the end, so all my muscles, at least, get a once-weekly stretch!
  • kmsairam
    kmsairam Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies,

I was a little lazy about reading all the posts from the past few days. But I see Sue is back - welcome back! And some new folks started the program: welcome!

I started Stage 6 today!!!! The optional "strength" stage. I was soooo scared of the negative chinup, but I did it just fine! I used the assisted pull-up machine b/c it's the only one with "steps" that allow short folk like me to grab the bars. But I did not use the assist part.The 10 sets of 2 rep lat pulldowns were a little odd. I was definitely hogging the machine and felt guilty.

Manic - Congrats for finishing Stage 6 (did you like it?) and revving up for Stage 7. What's next for you after this program?

I'm thinking about Starting Strength or the Nia Shanks program that Megan mentioned awhile back. Then maybe New Rules Abs after that. I'm ready to mix it up a bit and learn more about making up my own workouts.

Beeps - agreed. I MUST stretch after my workouts (whether lifting or cardio). My muscles get sooo tight that it's painful if I don't stretch. I must always stretch my hamstrings, quads, and calves. Always. Then I stretch my upper body a bit.

emgel - 95 squats - woo hoo!!!
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Ladies! I have figured my TDEE and it says to maintain I should consume 2212 calories a day. That is on light exercise. I actually workout about 6 days a week (lift 3, cardio 3), but I do have a desk job. I am looking to still lose about 25# and gain muscle, so I figure maybe 1800 calories a day? After eatlng only 1200 for a year that's going to take some adjusting! However, I have been on a plateau for over 4 months now, so I'm ready to do anything to get it moving again! I'll just make sure I stay off the scale for a month or so while my body adjusts! :wink:

Just try something for a month or two and see how it works. I really don't think you can go wrong with the book's calculations or a TDEE-% plan. I eat at about a 10%-20% deficit and it evens out to around 2100 cals/day. I lose fine when I actually STICK with it and don't blow it on the weekends. As you are getting close to your goal weight, you might find that your "goal" changes and you want to focus more on BF% than scale weight. If you eat enough and lose slowly, you will see amazing changes in your body! Just be patient and realize that you will fluctuate a lot with this program.

Sue, I hope you had a wonderful vacation!

Regarding stretching: I didn't do ANY in the first Stages. Now I do, but I don't really notice a difference in DOMS. The only thing that helps is walking on my non-lifting days. I really need to get a foam roller as I've heard amazing things about it.

emgel, 95lbs is awesome!

kms, Stage 6 completely confused my body, LOL. I couldn't do the neg chin-ups to save my life, so you are much stronger than I am! I loved having shorter workouts again in Stage 6. I'm pretty much decided I will do Supercharged. I like the NROL format and being able to "design" my own workout is appealing.

I am on a 3 day no scale streak!
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    KMS, I did not complete stage 6. A pull up was not one of my goals. When I finished stage 7, I played around with NrOL4abs. I couldn't stick with it. I don't know why. Maybe my life was too busy at the time?? I don't know.
  • Vicki_78
    Vicki_78 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    wel I decided to take my weekend off and enjoy it with my family so bad for my workouts but good for the family :) I still ate pretty good so all was not lost! Today I drove back home... 300 miles and headed straight to the gym for some cardio so I'm proud of myself for that! Plan to go back tomorrow for another round of cardio... stole some of my boyfriends wieghts to start using at home. But... I did carry them in from the car - does that count as weight training??? :) lol! Plan to do NROL wednesday and friday this week - wish me luck!
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    wel I decided to take my weekend off and enjoy it with my family so bad for my workouts but good for the family :) I still ate pretty good so all was not lost! Today I drove back home... 300 miles and headed straight to the gym for some cardio so I'm proud of myself for that! Plan to go back tomorrow for another round of cardio... stole some of my boyfriends wieghts to start using at home. But... I did carry them in from the car - does that count as weight training??? :) lol! Plan to do NROL wednesday and friday this week - wish me luck!

Activities like driving 300 miles should burn more calories than they do! Glad you got good family time and were able to eat right. Good luck getting started!!!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    stole some of my boyfriends wieghts to start using at home. But... I did carry them in from the car - does that count as weight training??? :) lol! Plan to do NROL wednesday and friday this week - wish me luck!

Sunday before my first workout I carried a whole weight set upstairs to the second floor, a few pieces at a time, and I counted that as my warmup.
  • LB2LL
    LB2LL Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Had a great workout last night! I upped the weight so I did 60# step ups (my forearms hurt the most out of anything) and I was able to squat 75#. I'm thinking I could up the weight for the squats another 10# for next time. We shall see. It's exciting to see my strength increasing!
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    emgel - great job on the squats!

As for stretching - generally I don't. I think everyone should stretch, even if it's just a few basic stretches, and it's something I'm trying to work on.

I got my workout in last night after bible study so my streak is still going. Too tired to get up again this morning (got to get to bed earlier), but will be in the gym during lunch today. I'm working on kipping for my pull ups.