Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• feelgoodnic
    feelgoodnic Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies. Hope nobody minds me dropping into the chat thread! I'm 26 years old, living in Ireland, and should be finishing Stage 2 tomorrow morning.

I went to college in Cork where I'm from. I studied Multimedia. I actually ended up paying a visit to my college while I was at my parent's house for the weekend to use the Leisure Centre nearby for my workout, made me a little bit nostalgic! Of course in the four years I was there I never set foot inside the Leisure Centre :tongue: typical!
  • LB2LL
    LB2LL Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Stage 3. I did the B workout last night. What I don't love so much is the YTWL. No thanks. Lol.

Tonight will be a 35 minute tempo run. My shoes are in! I didn't end up getting the minimalist shoes since I have a race in 2 weeks. That is not enough time for me to get used to such a drastic change. I also talked to some marathoners I know and about half switched from their minimalist back to the shoes they wore before so that made me a bit nervous to buy them this go around. If I come up with some extra cash in my off season I might buy them but now that I'm hitting full on training season that is jam-packed with races, I don't want to risk it.

Food-wise I was within my calories but 25 over where I wanted to be and mainly because I made some poor choices with sweets. Today is a new day!
  • jcjsjones
    jcjsjones Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    omg @ DW "every year"....there are NO words.

Thankfully, we are in year 2 of a 5-year moratorium on theme-parks. I hope we stretch it to 7 years, actually....

YES :grumble: Don't get me wrong, I love the place too. But going every year and sometimes twice a year like this year, it has lost the magic for me.

Tmi: TOM is here. My plans were to be back in the gym today since I have all bags unpacked and laundry done. The fatigue has been too severe the past 2 days to do anything extra.

OH, update on my back. I've been taking Lodine 2xdaily. ZERO pain in weeks.
    I don't know how people do DW every year. The one year nearly killed me. 3,500 for 5 days. It takes my over two years to save that much. I'm sure I could do it cheaper, but where's he fun in that? We LOVE theme parks. Six Flags GA is practically in our back yard, well less than an hour away. This year we will do a quickie vacation to Bush Garden hopefully. time will tell.

Haha! I hear ya!! We've done DW twice, and I have no desire to return any time soon. We have a really nice family-owned amusement park about 30 minutes away, so we go there 1 or 2 x a year. If anyone ever decides to come to the area, look it up!! The name is Holiday World. I've been to Six Flags, Dollywood, DW, Carowinds, and Kings Island. HW is my favorite!
  • kmsairam
    kmsairam Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    jcjs - Carowinds is in my backyard! Actually I used to be able to see it from my work desk (worked in SC); now I work in downtown Charlotte.

Beeps - I'm still undecided about what's next. Mostly likely New Rules for Life...but that's not 100%. I'm going to take off from an official program until after my half marathon on Apr. 21. Until then, I'll just make up my own routine with some of my favorite New Rules moves.

Anyhoo, I went to Carnegie Mellon University in good 'ole Pittsburgh, PA. I have a degree in technical writing and that's pretty much what I do for a living. :)

Have a great day ladies!
  • jcjsjones
    Options
    Haha! Small world!! My father lived in Asheville for a long time, and I eventually moved there with my husband about 7 years ago. About a year later, we moved to North Columbia right off of I77. Moved back home to Kentucky about 1 1/2 years after, but I would go back in a heartbeat!! Everyone told me I would hate it there, but I LOVED it in Columbia!! Where else can you live 2 hrs away from the mountains, and 1 1/2 - 2 hrs away from the beach???

ETA: Working in Downtown Charlotte (awesome place, BTW) you may know the company my husband worked for. It's called Earthfare. He opened the store in DT Charlotte, and then transferred to Columbia.
  • emgel9
    emgel9 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Sigh, I slept through my workout today. I have been SO tired lately I decided (it was actually a conscious decision) to reset the alarm and get an extra 1.5 hours of sleep. I will lift tomorrow and have a long run this weekend - I think this is why the program is taking me so long!

Lcuconly - yay barefoot running! I recently discovered (when I went to buy new shoes) that there is a whole new world of vibram five fingers since I bought my first pair three years ago. I LOVE the Bikilas and will probably buy a pair soon...but if you want shoes (and not something with separated toes) I highly recommend trying either merrell dash gloves or new balance minimus. all of them are great for lifting also!

LB2LL - some people love long distance barefoot running - not me! I wear my five fingers only for runs 5 miles and under. More than that and I wear minimalist shoes. You are smart not to change anything before a race! My next race is in two weeks also...I am not feeling prepared!

I went to college at the University of Michigan and came right back to the east coast for law school. I practice in DC.
  • LB2LL
    Options
    Good luck with your race as well emgel!

I forgot to answer the question: I went to the University of Massachusetts.
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    good morning all -

I went to Smith College...so near UMass Amherst, LB2LL. Loved it! Univ of Chicago for grad school.

no workout this am...soccer game tonight. Then date night...will try not to undo all of the work of the soccer game!!

Emgel - I have definitely learned that sometimes, your body needs a break. Your workout will be so much better tomorrow!

jcjs & kmsai - I have done a bit of work in health systems in NC and I love it there. Except for the prevalance of smoking, I think it is awesome from mountains to coast!

nic - welcome to the thread...we will be starting stage 3 together...I hope to start in tomorrow am!

rach - i am totall with you on "a long time ago"! my 25 year reunion is coming up in May!!
  • LB2LL
    Options
    Small world lcu! I'm very familiar with the five college area :)
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,960 Member
    Options
    Did 2 degrees in Calgary (including law) and did my masters' degree in Toronto.

sue - did you know that women actually PUT ON "lean muscle" as they age?? True story. So, even at YOUR age, you can still work those muscles, grow those muscles, slim down and strengthen up. If you haven't seen "californiagirl"'s story, yet, I suggest you 'search' her here on mfp. She's AWESOME!

I'm afraid I'm going to only have time to do lame-o yoga at lunch with small work-out group....it's gonna snow 15 cm here, today, and I'm basically snowed in, frankly.
  • kmsairam
    Options
    small word! great thread lcu!!

emgel - I have a bunch of friends who practice law in the DC area. OK not a bunch. My best friend from CMU went to American U. Law School and her group of friends all stayed in the area and practice there. My friend used to work at the SEC and now does something with enforcing financial regulations. I lived in DC from '92-'95; those were some good times. :)

beeps - lol at lame yoga. It's a workout, c'mon! I am trying to convince my mom to do New Rules and that it's never too late. She's only 62, a very young at heart kind of person. She has come to the gym with me a few times, but gets discouraged when she can't lift the weight that I'm lifting. Yes, that's where I get my competitive streak.
  • cphaneuf16
    cphaneuf16 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    @kmsairam -- I'm a tech writer, too! I stumbled upon it as a college intern and continued to do it as *part of* my job for years, but ten years ago, I discovered it could be a job all by itself. I love it!!

I went to Drew University in NJ, and studied math/comp sci with a minor in writing. I also had a "mid-life" crisis in my mid twenties where I dropped everything and went to culinary school. So, I also have a pastry degree. :) Itt was after that that I found a full-time tech writing job and met my husband.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Frankly, I might have to start logging my "yoga" exercise, here at mfp, as just "stretching", because I'm getting WAY TOO MANY "QUESTIONS" as to the "yoga" note on my thread, lol.

I AM NOT A YOGI.

I don't even like yoga. I just figure it's probably a better way to spend 30 minutes than, say, surfing the internet!

I *do* get a stretch out of it. My posing is RIDONKULOUS. And, today, my shoulders were simply TOO SORE from yesterday's lifting to hold all those "downward dogs". "*kitten* off downward dog!" is what I wanted to scream at the instructor, today!
  • bevmcarthur
    bevmcarthur Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Yoga is very good for you it really helps me relax i dont think of anything when i am on my mat . And its a very good workout also
    i am just starting back to weight training i haven't did it for years and i have a very strong core and body
    so if you think its dosnt help to straighten you think again

Frankly, I might have to start logging my "yoga" exercise, here at mfp, as just "stretching", because I'm getting WAY TOO MANY "QUESTIONS" as to the "yoga" note on my thread, lol.

I AM NOT A YOGI.

I don't even like yoga. I just figure it's probably a better way to spend 30 minutes than, say, surfing the internet!

I *do* get a stretch out of it. My posing is RIDONKULOUS. And, today, my shoulders were simply TOO SORE from yesterday's lifting to hold all those "downward dogs". "*kitten* off downward dog!" is what I wanted to scream at the instructor, today!
    [/quote]
  • kmsairam
    Options
    cphaneuf16 - fellow tech writer - cool!! I love that you have a pastry degree too. That sounds like me over the years. I have strayed from tech writing a few times, but always come back to it. I headed down the path to get my MBA and a law degree, but never followed through. I've mostly done software documentation, but currently do policy and procedure type stuff now.

In other news, I'm ANNOYED at my husband for waking me up last night (coughing, getting up). So guess who didn't get up and lift at 5:30? Not a happy camper. I will try to go at lunchtime today.

Tomorrow is a rest day and Sunday is my long run. I ran yesterday and realized I'm having some serious allergy problems. When I run in the afternoons, I can't breathe properly -- I am pretty certain it's due to the pollen. It really makes running a chore. I could not get into a rhythm with my breathing but just powered through it. This has happened twice now. When I run in the mornings or on the treadmill, it's a breeze (at certain speeds). My allergies have been out of control due to the crazy weather - one day it's 70, the next day it's 40. Welcome to the Carolinas! :-/
  • lcuconley
    Options
    Hi All - FRIDAY'S QUESTION: what is your favorite color? Has your favorite color changed over the years?

kmsai - about once a week my hubby keeps me up in one way or the other, he's a snorer...hope your man feels better today! Good luck getting to the gym today.

beeps - let me weigh in on the pro-yoga side. I must not love it as much as I say I do, as I find it very hard to carve out time for it. I find the stretching to be a great antidote to all of the other working out.

bev - it really matters what kind of yoga you do, but there is some that is pretty aerobic and some that focuses on building stregth.

so, last night I played soccer. too many subs again, so I only played half of the game. I find as I get in better shape, I am more annoyed at lack of playing time!!

This morning I did stage 1A3. I got up extra early to make time for the BW matrix, but still ran out of time. Did you all actually wait 105 seconds between sets? there is no way I am going to sit around for more than 90.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I'm cool if you like yoga, bevm - I don't. And, with very little (and therefore) precious time, in my life, devoted to "exercise", it makes sense to me to do the things I like! Yoga isn't one of 'em....but, yes, sometimes I still do it.

Booooo on husbands who keep wives awake in the night! My husband has been in a biz trip this week and frankly, I'm sleeping LIKE A BABY!

Today, I lift!

My favourite colour is purple....was red in elementary school - but purple for as long as I can remember! I like your questions, lcuconley.
  • rachietuk
    rachietuk Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    My husband really doesn't wake me too much, however I wake him alot. He recorded me snoring the other night..... its not attractive!!!!

My favourite color is red, it always has been.

Tomorrow I am going with my cousin to a crossfit workshop. I am intrested in this, but I know its going to be HARD.

Sunday is lifting day, looking forward to Stage 3 A again.
  • jcjsjones
    Options
    Hey, Ladies! My favorite color is purple. Always has been. Sparkles make it better! Typical girl..lol! :laugh:

My husband I I work opposite shifts, so we are both used to having the whole bed (minus what the dog takes) to ourselves. On weekends when he is home I really have a hard time sleeping. He is off all next week, so I'll be pretty tired..lol!

Rest day today, running in a 5k tomorrow, and probably indoor workout Sunday since it will be snowing. Where are you Spring?? :cry:

Happy Friday!!
  • lcuconley
    Options
    my favorite color is blue...intense dark cobalt blue. However, I love pink and purple...one of them might overtake blue someday. I think pre-college, my favorite color was red.

My husband is going to a basketball tournament and is sleeping over in a hotel for the next two nights. No bad influence with alcohol/staying up too late!!! I am going the other direction for my 9yo's basketball tourney, but we are not staying over night.

jcjs - as the guy on the radio said, "this is not march...just a really long february"!

oh rachie, that was NOT nice of him ;-((( can't wait to hear about the crossfit! I have thought about that for after nrolfw.