BE Support Group Conversation Thread - 2013

Options

Replies

• Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I tend to feel very bad if I miss exercise myself, and for some reason, doing less can often trigger hunger in me, or the urge to eat bad things, but think to yourself, 'this is illogical. I could not complete my exercise, but as long as I stay within my goal by a few hundred calories, I am perfectly fine'. Life happens, including interruptions to schedule(which I hate, incidentally, being in the autistic spectrum). Instead of binging, have a really nice dinner, something you might normally consider too indulgent for dinner, and enjoy it. Missing half your training will not impact your weight, it does not work like that. In fact, often when people take a rest for a day and eat a little more, they lose more. It is to do with hormonal responses and giving your body a slight shock. Hope you manage to fight the urge and remember, you do deserve food. We are supposed to eat, regardless of exercise. Exercise should, in truth, be for health, stamina. Strength, wellbeing, fitness. Not a method of burning off calories. In the non dieting world, that just does not come into play. People eat well, within reason, with some indulgences here and there, and exercise because they enjoy it and it keeps them feeling well. Try and work on your mindset a little, it might help,

This is so true, and so beautifully put. I really believe weight loss is 90% mindset and 10% application.

I can talk to people and usually tell whether they are ready to succeed or not, its the same vibe I get when I talk to other people who have achieved their goals. Its like an undefined realization deep inside that can only be reached through personal growth. One things for sure though, you reach that level only by failing multiple times, and because of that every time we fail we need to grow from it.

Totally agree, and would also add that this seems to apply to so many areas in life. It might seem terrible at the time, but with each failure we experience in life, whether it be relationship, diet, career or other aspect, we need to grow and learn from it or we just keep on repeating the same mistake over and over, a bit like groundhog day. I think humans can be very resistant to accepting that something they are doing is not working... to making themselves vulnerable and taking another direction.
  • angelaengbrecht
    angelaengbrecht Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Last night I binged, and today I'm trying to eat normal. I'm under my calories for the day, so I need to eat dinner, but I can feel a binge coming again, and I'm terrified that if I start I won't be able to stop.

I'm probably feeling like binging because I only ran 1/2 of my daily training schedule, then I got a call from my boyfriend (who currently lives 8000 miles away) and I stopped. Now I don't feel motivated to start again, and I'm also feeling like I don't "deserve" food, which I realize is insane, and just setting myself up for a later binge.

I'm not sure what to do, but being able to vent about it (for the first time ever... I'm so glad I found like forum!) really helps...

I tend to feel very bad if I miss exercise myself, and for some reason, doing less can often trigger hunger in me, or the urge to eat bad things, but think to yourself, 'this is illogical. I could not complete my exercise, but as long as I stay within my goal by a few hundred calories, I am perfectly fine'. Life happens, including interruptions to schedule(which I hate, incidentally, being in the autistic spectrum). Instead of binging, have a really nice dinner, something you might normally consider too indulgent for dinner, and enjoy it. Missing half your training will not impact your weight, it does not work like that. In fact, often when people take a rest for a day and eat a little more, they lose more. It is to do with hormonal responses and giving your body a slight shock. Hope you manage to fight the urge and remember, you do deserve food. We are supposed to eat, regardless of exercise. Exercise should, in truth, be for health, stamina. Strength, wellbeing, fitness. Not a method of burning off calories. In the non dieting world, that just does not come into play. People eat well, within reason, with some indulgences here and there, and exercise because they enjoy it and it keeps them feeling well. Try and work on your mindset a little, it might help,

Thank you for the words of wisdom!

I did beat it, which is a FIRST for me. I can sometimes see binges coming, but I've never successfully stopped on UNTIL LAST NIGHT.

It's really nice to know that I'm not alone. All of you are so inspiring to me. Knowing that other people have fought (and won!) this battle makes it so much easier for me.

I did eat a healthy dinner. I bought a bit of healthy fruit on the way home, and ate it slowly and carefully. I managed to walk past multiple bakeries and convenience stores that normally might have been a disaster for me. Then, I decided that I could eat some dinner, and still manage to stay in control.

I bought a healthy take out option, which I portioned into two, so as to stay under my calorie goal!

THE OTHER HALF IS STILL IN MY FRIDGE! That never happens. For months I've avoided keeping any food in my house, as I will eat it all uncontrollably. This is a huge victory for me.

Thank you (all) for the support!
  • angelaengbrecht
    Options
    I often binge when I get up during the night and I usually get up 2-3 times a night. I had a great day with no bingeing yesterday but did binge during the night. I logged it all which is a first for me. I am determined to deal with this issue.

I think keeping your behaviour in your awareness and being accountable is a good step

I absolutely agree.

The best first step you can take is a determination to log it all. I think it's so important, because it shows a willingness to accept and be honest with yourself. And of course, if you can't be honest with yourself, you'll have a hard time moving forward.
  • dladisheff
    Options
    Hi
    I have been logging every last thing that goes into my mouth....I've never done this before, I only wrote down the good stuff and maybe some of the excess but not all of it. I can really see the huge amount of calories I am taking in and it is an eye opener.

I wish I could stop this eating during the night. I wish I didn't wake up at all but I wake frequently and every time I do all I want to do is eat. Any suggestions?

Donna L.
  • mom2izzyandallen
    mom2izzyandallen Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I often binge when I get up during the night and I usually get up 2-3 times a night. I had a great day with no bingeing yesterday but did binge during the night. I logged it all which is a first for me. I am determined to deal with this issue.

I do this too! I will be doing great and then I'm up all night long. I'll keep getting up, if I know there is something out there that I want. Is this a common thing for ya'll? This is literally, the first time, I've heard of anyone else struggling with is.

When I KNOW I'm going to be tempted, AND when I CARE....I'll have my older children, put the "XYZ" in their rooms. I won't wake them up to get it...so it helps me be safe.
  • dladisheff
    Options

I do this too! I will be doing great and then I'm up all night long. I'll keep getting up, if I know there is something out there that I want. Is this a common thing for ya'll? This is literally, the first time, I've heard of anyone else struggling with is.

When I KNOW I'm going to be tempted, AND when I CARE....I'll have my older children, put the "XYZ" in their rooms. I won't wake them up to get it...so it helps me be safe.
  • dladisheff
    Options
    One thing I do....drastic though it may be....is I have my husband lock the refrigerator and keep the key on his side of the bed. I would never go over there to get it for fear of waking him. I haven't done this in a long time but I just asked my husband now if he would lock the fridge tonight....so here's hoping for a binge free day!

Donna L.
  • angelaengbrecht
    Options
    Hi
    I have been logging every last thing that goes into my mouth....I've never done this before, I only wrote down the good stuff and maybe some of the excess but not all of it. I can really see the huge amount of calories I am taking in and it is an eye opener.

I wish I could stop this eating during the night. I wish I didn't wake up at all but I wake frequently and every time I do all I want to do is eat. Any suggestions?

Donna L.

I have a similar problem, although it won't be in the middle of the night, it'll be more toward evening. Since I live alone I'm "free" to binge just about anytime. I'm guessing that you're binging at night because that's an easy time to engage in bingeing without fear of interruption.

Anyhow, the strategy I employ is to simply not keep food at home. I buy all my consumables for the day, during the day thatIi will eat them. The only thing in my fridge right now is condiments. This might (or might not) be a practical solution for you depending on your lifestyle.

I hope to eventually be able to keep food in my house, but I'm just not there yet.
  • Candycane777
    Options
    Last night I binged, and today I'm trying to eat normal. I'm under my calories for the day, so I need to eat dinner, but I can feel a binge coming again, and I'm terrified that if I start I won't be able to stop.

I'm probably feeling like binging because I only ran 1/2 of my daily training schedule, then I got a call from my boyfriend (who currently lives 8000 miles away) and I stopped. Now I don't feel motivated to start again, and I'm also feeling like I don't "deserve" food, which I realize is insane, and just setting myself up for a later binge.

I'm not sure what to do, but being able to vent about it (for the first time ever... I'm so glad I found like forum!) really helps...

Thank you for the words of wisdom!

I did beat it, which is a FIRST for me. I can sometimes see binges coming, but I've never successfully stopped on UNTIL LAST NIGHT.

It's really nice to know that I'm not alone. All of you are so inspiring to me. Knowing that other people have fought (and won!) this battle makes it so much easier for me.

I did eat a healthy dinner. I bought a bit of healthy fruit on the way home, and ate it slowly and carefully. I managed to walk past multiple bakeries and convenience stores that normally might have been a disaster for me. Then, I decided that I could eat some dinner, and still manage to stay in control.

I bought a healthy take out option, which I portioned into two, so as to stay under my calorie goal!

THE OTHER HALF IS STILL IN MY FRIDGE! That never happens. For months I've avoided keeping any food in my house, as I will eat it all uncontrollably. This is a huge victory for me.

Thank you (all) for the support!

Good for you!!! Stopping a binge is the ultimate achievement!
  • Candycane777
    Options
    One thing I do....drastic though it may be....is I have my husband lock the refrigerator and keep the key on his side of the bed. I would never go over there to get it for fear of waking him. I haven't done this in a long time but I just asked my husband now if he would lock the fridge tonight....so here's hoping for a binge free day!

Donna L.

I think that is pretty smart :)
  • Graelwyn75
    Options
    Hi

Donna L.

I have a similar problem, although it won't be in the middle of the night, it'll be more toward evening. Since I live alone I'm "free" to binge just about anytime. I'm guessing that you're binging at night because that's an easy time to engage in bingeing without fear of interruption.

Anyhow, the strategy I employ is to simply not keep food at home. I buy all my consumables for the day, during the day thatIi will eat them. The only thing in my fridge right now is condiments. This might (or might not) be a practical solution for you depending on your lifestyle.

I hope to eventually be able to keep food in my house, but I'm just not there yet.

I live totally alone too, but my fridge, freezer and cupboards are well stocked with chicken breasts, fish, fruit, greek yoghurt, almonds, peanut butter, sweet potatoes, pasta, black rice, canned beans, steak, cottage cheese, hard boiled eggs, frozen berries, quinoa, avocado and protein infused oatmeal. I do not tend to binge on that sort of food. I might occasionally go crazy on the almonds, but oddly, not the peanut butter. I also keep dark chocolate here, and no issues there either. It is only things like ice cream, sugar infused yoghurts, milk chocolate, cake, bread, cookies, pastries and the like, that I have to keep out, or keep in individual, occasional servings.
  • karendee4
    karendee4 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Just ready to give up today. I am not getting treatment for BE from my therapist. Seeing the Doc today,

I keep thinking about BE treatment centers but then I would miss out on my kids lives for the time. Also, I have 2 volunteer jobs I do hoping to land a real job for next school year.

The Doctor does not believe there is any medical treatment for BE. She says it is not a disorder yet? HUH So confused.

Anyone done the residental programs? I am trying to find one that lets me go home each day and do my volunteer work 2x a week.
  • Candycane777
    Options
    Just ready to give up today. I am not getting treatment for BE from my therapist. Seeing the Doc today,

I keep thinking about BE treatment centers but then I would miss out on my kids lives for the time. Also, I have 2 volunteer jobs I do hoping to land a real job for next school year.

The Doctor does not believe there is any medical treatment for BE. She says it is not a disorder yet? HUH So confused.

Anyone done the residental programs? I am trying to find one that lets me go home each day and do my volunteer work 2x a week.

What you are talking about would be outpatient/day programs. I would look up eating disorders and your town/city and see what comes up. Did you look up the Fairburn book? that seems to be what ppl's therapists are recommending
  • rani_87
    rani_87 Posts: 5
    Options
    Had the worst weekend ever and let it beat me the past three days in a row. Gained five lbs from it too... I was doing so well with this diet but lately it keeps kicking me back down and making me hate it all over again. So yes, I'm new to this group, and hoping it helps. Because any little bit helps, right?
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    Had the worst weekend ever and let it beat me the past three days in a row. Gained five lbs from it too... I was doing so well with this diet but lately it keeps kicking me back down and making me hate it all over again. So yes, I'm new to this group, and hoping it helps. Because any little bit helps, right?

Right! I hope it helps for you too. It does for me.
  • rani_87
    rani_87 Posts: 5
    Options
    Thank you : )
  • rincoglionita
    rincoglionita Posts: 177 Member
    Options

Your doctor is flat-out WRONG. It's in the new DSM coming out soon: http://www.nepsy.com/articles/leading-stories/dsm-5-to-include-binge-eating-disorder/

If a disorder makes it to the voting stage, as this one finally did, it's for sure legitimate, and it angers me (for you) that she is so ill-informed.

There actually is pharmaceutical treatment for BED, though it is not without risks. Check into Topamax if you're interested (I took it for several years, and it helped me IMMENSELY).
  • Graelwyn75
    Options

Welcome, and I am fairly sure a lot of those 5 Ibs will be water weight, not genuine gain as you would seriously need to have overeaten by a total of at least 16k calories for a genuine 5 Ib gain. Wait for the water weight to come off. And check your diet is not too strict or too low in calories as both can lead to developing issues with binge eating.
  • Graelwyn75
    Options

There are certain medications that can help, often anti depressants since depression is linked to BED, but also there are specific therapy programmes used, specifically, DBT and CBT. DBT is often done in groups and teaches you to recognise your feelings and deal with them in a healthier way. There are books available as well where you can learn DBT techniques by yourself.
  • hdkerr
    hdkerr Posts: 145 Member
    Options

First of all I think your avatar is pretty cute. Second I think you finding this group has been a great step in the right direction. There's probably no one here that hasn't been in your shoes or felt what you are feeling right now. I know I have. :) Heather
This discussion has been closed.