Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I love all the "running in the dark" stories. Makes me feel like I'm not the only weird one.

Varda, I think you are right about us at the end of our newbie gains. I wish it weren't so. I haven't gotten fast enough yet...I don't want to take seconds off my mile pace, I want to take minutes off!!

Beth - I love the parking garage idea for hill repeats!

Anyway, it's good to read how everyone is doing. I'm in a bit of a funk (I think due to sugar and my work schedule), so I need to hang out here to get inspired so that I get back on track this next week.

I think we can still take minutes off, it's just going to take more than giving our bodies time to physiologically adapt.
  • madmiss
    madmiss Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I love all the "running in the dark" stories. Makes me feel like I'm not the only weird one.

Varda, I think you are right about us at the end of our newbie gains. I wish it weren't so. I haven't gotten fast enough yet...I don't want to take seconds off my mile pace, I want to take minutes off!!

Anyway, it's good to read how everyone is doing. I'm in a bit of a funk (I think due to sugar and my work schedule), so I need to hang out here to get inspired so that I get back on track this next week.

I think we can still take minutes off, it's just going to take more than giving our bodies time to physiologically adapt.

I seem to be about to take big chunks of time off in competition situations, but on my day to day runs I'm useless - maybe I need to chase a bunny like a greyhound at a track or something - someone in front of me with tequilla or something;) or more like with a water bottle and a banana since nothing really sounds good to me food or drink wise except a giant steak!!! ;) I bought some sugar free power are today, will be trying it out on tomorrow's run!!!
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    11 miles this morning at 9:44 pace. I rewarded myself with a big slice of pizza at Costco.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

I seem to be about to take big chunks of time off in competition situations, but on my day to day runs I'm useless - maybe I need to chase a bunny like a greyhound at a track or something - someone in front of me with tequilla or something;) or more like with a water bottle and a banana since nothing really sounds good to me food or drink wise except a giant steak!!! ;) I bought some sugar free power are today, will be trying it out on tomorrow's run!!!

You're supposed to be slow in your normal runs. Vmclach who runs like 7 mins/mile during marathons says that she's done easy runs that were a strenuous 13 minute mile.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    11 miles this morning at 9:44 pace. I rewarded myself with a big slice of pizza at Costco.

That's an wonderful run!!! Way to go!! A slice of pizza was a good call, too.
  • PaytraB
    Options
    I had a great run this morning. I ran 7K in 57:54. The sun was shining and I ran along the riverfront. It was gorgeous.
  • timeasterday
    Options
    That's an wonderful run!!! Way to go!! A slice of pizza was a good call, too.

Thanks! The pizza was good, but I was hungry again a couple of hours later. We cooked up salmon fillets for an afternoon snack.

I gotta say the last mile of my run was not fun. My legs didn't feel good and my IT bands were getting tight. My wife went through the same thing. Each week she could run a little farther before getting to that point. Hopefully next week I will be able to hit 12 miles.
  • timeasterday
    Options
    I had a great run this morning. I ran 7K in 57:54. The sun was shining and I ran along the riverfront. It was gorgeous.

Sounds awesome!! Nice run!
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I ran my second 6 miler today in 1:14. It was good, but cold! The wind was biting and the sun had sunk behind the hills on the last 2 miles and it made a marked difference in temp. I ran in tights, shorts, and a quarter zip neck long sleeve technical pullover (thank you Laura for the Target tip!), and gloves. I think a windblocking but breathable fleece would have been the right layer after the sun sank. What was great was that my last mile was faster than miles 3, 4 and 5. I still tend to start out too fast though...I have to work on that. But I found my stride, and was breathing easy the entire time. Mile 6 was a full 30 seconds per mile faster thank mile 4 despite a nice little 100 ft climb! Hill work is paying off! :-)
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Yay 10k!

Because I overshot the run way last week and did 5.5 miles I thought why not try for 6.22 this week? Just to see ... nothing ventured, nothing gained and all that.

So off I went when the sun came up (day off today) at a chilly 3 centigrade. Started off slowish (1st mile 11.3) and just kept going, getting a bit faster in subsequent miles as I got more confident I could do this.

Final time was 1hr 8mins 19secs which was good enough for me today as I did part of it on trails and had to stop to cross traffic a lot and a train at one point. Fastest mile was 10.17 which wasn't bad for a long run.

Even though it was chilly heading out I'd done my warm up by walking the dog just before I went for my run so I made do with a long sleeved top and capris as I was able to start running from the end of my street. My blast furnace internal heating served me well and I didn't feel cold even on the mile cool down walk (wasn't meant to be a mile but the college next door had closed one of the paths - doh!)

All in all I'm very happy with that and as I've kind of spoiled my 10k training plan by hitting 10k ahead of schedule I'll use the next couple of weeks to improve my time - I'd like to be doing 10k sub 60mins before spring which now doesn't seem such a silly idea :bigsmile:
  • joedfro
    joedfro Posts: 270
    Options
    First 5K this saturday, was gonna do a 3 mile easy, but a hard rain at a mile and a half changed it to a 2 mile run
  • Rindy12
    Rindy12 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I ran the Hot Chocolate 5k yesterday in Chicago. They were also running a 15k at the same time. There were a little over 34,000 runners. I was in a corral about half way back in the second wave of runners. The first wave started at 7am, the second wave at 7:45, I didn't start until 8:05. It was 36 degrees at the start of the race, I was dressed for it, but started to get really cold the last 15 minutes or so before I started running. It was beyond crowded, to the point of being elbowed, pushed and my feet stepped on quite a bit. The crowd didn't start to thin out at all until the last 1/4 mile where we hit a hill and the 15k course took a different path. I had my music on with one earbud in as usual and most of the time I couldn't hear the music above the crowd noise, and no I'm not complaining about that. The energy in the crowd was amazing. The post race party where we got our hot chocolate and finisher's mugs was in the park. It had rained off and on for the past 3 days so the ground was rather muddy. I seriously need to clean my shoes. It took forever to make our way through the crowd. Even with wall to wall people and the crowd hardly moving everyone was so nice and polite. Overall for me it was an awesome experience even though my time was 2 seconds slower than the last one, 39:18.
  • Rindy12
    Rindy12 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I am determined not to let winter rain on my parade. HM training must proceed in earnest. Snow is in our forecast for tonight and tomorrow, but I just had a comforting thought...The parking garage in town. Perfect! It's covered, lit, and is made for hill repeats! :-) I know what I'll be doing when the snow and ice come. Did I mention how much I detest the treadmill, I will avoid it any way I can. I have yak-trax (ice cleat thingys). I also have been thinking about cross-country skis...Anyone experienced training through the snowy winter? I'm not a year old yet, each running season brings new challenges (and rewards)!

That's a great idea! When it's snow covered here I'm going to have to do that. The one here in town is 4 floors and it's open, so the wind gets through. The ramp is in the middle so it shouldn't have blown snow on it.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I got a good run in yesterday. The weather was great other than being a little windy!

My knee is better. I guess I just needed to let it rest for a few days. Three weeks until my 10k. I have some work to do!

11-3-13_zps070b116c.jpg
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Nothing to report for me this weekend, as far as running, but just wanted to say that it's great to read how well everyone is doing!
  • PaytraB
    Options
    Yay 10k!

Because I overshot the run way last week and did 5.5 miles I thought why not try for 6.22 this week? Just to see ... nothing ventured, nothing gained and all that.

So off I went when the sun came up (day off today) at a chilly 3 centigrade. Started off slowish (1st mile 11.3) and just kept going, getting a bit faster in subsequent miles as I got more confident I could do this.

Final time was 1hr 8mins 19secs which was good enough for me today as I did part of it on trails and had to stop to cross traffic a lot and a train at one point. Fastest mile was 10.17 which wasn't bad for a long run.

Even though it was chilly heading out I'd done my warm up by walking the dog just before I went for my run so I made do with a long sleeved top and capris as I was able to start running from the end of my street. My blast furnace internal heating served me well and I didn't feel cold even on the mile cool down walk (wasn't meant to be a mile but the college next door had closed one of the paths - doh!)

All in all I'm very happy with that and as I've kind of spoiled my 10k training plan by hitting 10k ahead of schedule I'll use the next couple of weeks to improve my time - I'd like to be doing 10k sub 60mins before spring which now doesn't seem such a silly idea :bigsmile:

Congratulations on running 10K!!! I think your time is awesome. What a great run.

I hope to be running 10K by spring, too. I'm sure I'll be able to manage that but it won't be in 60 minutes. You rock!!
  • PaytraB
    Options
    I ran the Hot Chocolate 5k yesterday in Chicago. They were also running a 15k at the same time. There were a little over 34,000 runners. I was in a corral about half way back in the second wave of runners. The first wave started at 7am, the second wave at 7:45, I didn't start until 8:05. It was 36 degrees at the start of the race, I was dressed for it, but started to get really cold the last 15 minutes or so before I started running. It was beyond crowded, to the point of being elbowed, pushed and my feet stepped on quite a bit. The crowd didn't start to thin out at all until the last 1/4 mile where we hit a hill and the 15k course took a different path. I had my music on with one earbud in as usual and most of the time I couldn't hear the music above the crowd noise, and no I'm not complaining about that. The energy in the crowd was amazing. The post race party where we got our hot chocolate and finisher's mugs was in the park. It had rained off and on for the past 3 days so the ground was rather muddy. I seriously need to clean my shoes. It took forever to make our way through the crowd. Even with wall to wall people and the crowd hardly moving everyone was so nice and polite. Overall for me it was an awesome experience even though my time was 2 seconds slower than the last one, 39:18.

Phew! That sounds chaotic and fun at the same time. Congratulations on the run. I think you made great time.
  • PaytraB
    Options
    I am determined not to let winter rain on my parade. HM training must proceed in earnest. Snow is in our forecast for tonight and tomorrow, but I just had a comforting thought...The parking garage in town. Perfect! It's covered, lit, and is made for hill repeats! :-) I know what I'll be doing when the snow and ice come. Did I mention how much I detest the treadmill, I will avoid it any way I can. I have yak-trax (ice cleat thingys). I also have been thinking about cross-country skis...Anyone experienced training through the snowy winter? I'm not a year old yet, each running season brings new challenges (and rewards)!

That's a great idea! There are no parkades anywhere near my place otherwise I'd steal this idea.
    I'm barely a year old now :laugh: . Last winter, I trained on the treadmill and will do the same this winter but I'll be getting outdoors as much as I can. I plan on an incline of 3-4 on the treadmill when I use it. Hopefully that will help me in the spring when I go back outdoors; at least, I hope it helps with hills.
    I've been half-heartedly training for 10K on the weekends. On the treadmill I am more inclined to follow a schedule/plan so aim on being able to run 10K by spring or sooner.
  • PaytraB
    Options
    I got a good run in yesterday. The weather was great other than being a little windy!

My knee is better. I guess I just needed to let it rest for a few days. Three weeks until my 10k. I have some work to do!

Good news about your knee. Glad you had a good run. Love it when that happens.
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options

Sounds like you had a great time - and a great 'time' too!

I've yet to run a proper race so thanks for the great description of the event :bigsmile: