Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    It's supposed to be nice again by Friday. Which is great, because Sophia's birthday is at the Zoo on Sunday.

Yeah we have a lot of yo-yo weather lately. Have fun at the zoo - that sounds nice! We are doing a 10-mile run on Saturday on the Atlanta Half Marathon course. It will be nice to get a preview of the course, and the warmer weather will be good.
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Wow everyone is getting out there and achieving some wonderful results! Good to see Varda back too :)

Went out today on my 'long' run and did 7miles in 1:18 which I'm happy enough with. Felt a bit like I was running out of steam around 4.5miles but then I got my mojo back around 5miles and made my target.

That's the furthest I've run and I think I'll go to 7.5 next week and maybe stick at that for a few weeks to see if I can improve on the time.

Spent the rest of my 'day off' redecorating the dining room so plenty of up and down ladders, bending and stretching ... think that took more out of me than the run lol
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Wow everyone is getting out there and achieving some wonderful results! Good to see Varda back too :)

Went out today on my 'long' run and did 7miles in 1:18 which I'm happy enough with. Felt a bit like I was running out of steam around 4.5miles but then I got my mojo back around 5miles and made my target.

That's the furthest I've run and I think I'll go to 7.5 next week and maybe stick at that for a few weeks to see if I can improve on the time.

Spent the rest of my 'day off' redecorating the dining room so plenty of up and down ladders, bending and stretching ... think that took more out of me than the run lol

Great job. 7 miles was where it started to hurt for me. Coming home, I run down a big hill and there came a point where I just had to stop and walk because my legs were too tired to move up and down on the hill anymore. After that, I started to do my long runs strictly on the trail.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    And, Yay!, I should be ok to run again on Tuesday. I have Rduhlir's Reconditioning Run all tee'd up on Endomondo :)

Double yay! What is Rduhlir's Reconditioning Run like?
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    All your posts make me want to run miles & miles! Going to have to suck it up & treadmill run tomorrow & probably Thursday (roads are currently too icy for me to want to run on them in the dark) but I'm already looking forward to next weekend's run.
  • joedfro
    joedfro Posts: 270
    Options
    since 5k on saturday, i had 2.5 on sunday and 3 this morning...tomorrow is 2 miles easy, but it will be 19degrees F...after being 60 this morning.

i hear you about leg pain..i have been relatively pain free until the 5K...the harsh reality of running on a track for the most part, left my muscles unprepared for the pace and hills of a 5K..

so no more track for me...road and trails, and definitely no treadmill(mostly in part to not having access to one.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    since 5k on saturday, i had 2.5 on sunday and 3 this morning...tomorrow is 2 miles easy, but it will be 19degrees F...after being 60 this morning.

i hear you about leg pain..i have been relatively pain free until the 5K...the harsh reality of running on a track for the most part, left my muscles unprepared for the pace and hills of a 5K..

so no more track for me...road and trails, and definitely no treadmill(mostly in part to not having access to one.

Road & trails are FAR more interesting anyway. If you can work in some hills, all the better. I've only completely run one 5K start to finish and I have to tell you passing people on the big hill in the middle felt pretty sweet.
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Terrific runs!

Great about you doing a half marathon training run and feeling good afterward, Tim!

So glad you were able to get out on your bike in TX, Ceci.

Nice 5 miler, Laura, ice and all! Winter is here.

Joedfro, nice time on the 5k! Glad you were able to get out to it despite being so busy.

And Solardippo, terrific getting out to your 5k and doing a good job with it, despite everything that life was throwing you.

bttrthanevr, congratulations on getting to 7 miles! Especially good with finishing faster than you started. I haven't mastered that yet.

As for me, I drove south to Virginia Beach, VA last weekend to go to a Barnhunt Test with my dogs. It messed up my Friday run as I needed to take off down south as soon as I finished my half day a work to try to avoid the worst of the Washington, DC traffic. My plan was to do the run in Virginia Beach, but DC traffic was bad, costing me 45 minutes in additional time on the road and then an accident that occurred on the bridge into Virginia Beach meant another half hour delay. It was really too late once I got there and checked in, to find a place to run safely for me and for my dog or dogs (depending if I brought Fells or not) to stay safely and warm enough while I ran. So we just went to bed fairly soon after we got in.

Since my dogs were not scheduled to run in the test until after noon, I found a nearby park that had a measured 1.5 mile loop around a lake and we ran in the morning. It was chilly, but the sun was shining and Colin would be comfortable enough in the car while I was gone. Despite in still being in the (high) 40's, I ran in just my shorts and t-shirt. The park was full of runners and walkers and the attire varied from as little as I was wearing to people in parkas, gloves, and thick pants. I randomly chose to run the lake counter-clockwise, I think because there were less trees in that direction at the start and I was cold! The drawback to that was that the sun was in my eyes for the first half mile it seemed. It was a really pleasant run on a nice dirt and gravel path. You wouldn't want to run here in the dark or after a serious rain, but last weekend, it was terrific! Fells and I circled the lake twice at a really good pace for me and then went just a bit more to complete the 5k. Then we went to the test and both dogs qualified with Colin taking first place among all the dogs that day and Fells taking second in his height class.

Some friends of mine asked me to go with them out to dinner, but I didn't really feel like it, so we arranged to meet the next day at 10 am at Cracker Barrel. I have been craving pancakes with fruit topping and whipped cream for a month now. I don't know how it got into my head, but it wasn't leaving and I knew that actually walking into Cracker Barrel would be the straw that broke my will and I wasn't going to resist them.

So at 7:30 am the next morning, Fells and I were back in the park and circled the lake another two times. This achieved three things. I got some exercise, burned some calories, and I didn't feel like eating until 10 am when I got to Cracker Barrel and I wasn't even ravenous then, just a little hungry. I restricted myself to just what I was craving and didn't add on the eggs and sausage or bacon or anything else. I really enjoyed the pancakes though and was glad I went.

The dogs also did well on Sunday, although not as well as they did Saturday and between the weather, the company, and the lake surround by absolutely beautiful Fall trees, I had a terrific weekend.

Did you start running because of your dogs?

Great idea on the extra running and how it helped you stick with just your cravings.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    I'm finally coming to terms with treadmill running, at least during the week. The fact that it was 7 degrees this morning definitely swayed me toward the treadmill. Ha. I still want to get outside for longer runs on the weekends. Yesterday a friend of mine told me she'd show me some local trails where she runs on the weekends in the winter when the snow banks make it dangerous to run on the roads (they get awfully narrow).

I'm back to running for time vs. distance. For whatever reason that's easier for me to deal with on the treadmill. I'm getting more comfortable with my stride on it. Went just one tick faster today than I did last time, which is at least getting closer to my outdoor pace. This morning I walked for 5, ran for 30, walked for 5.
  • madmiss
    madmiss Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I'm so proud of everyone, you are all doing so great!!! I can't even fathom a 31 minute 5K right now :) Especially in the rain and sleet!!!

Update for me! Got full time at my job on Friday (from 4 days a week) so that was a very nice present so I treated myself to some new vibram 5 finger running shoes - WIERD but strangely comfy.

Sunday hubby and I went to the beach and I ran the longest ever - 5 miles - in my old Newtons (I say old, they are 3 months with about 200 or so miles on them) and it was epically awesome - faster pace than on the road and it was so awesome! I loved it! (I did stop for a one minute walk at each mile marker starting at mile 2 tho - not sure if that had something to do with it? I decided it wasn't cheating because beach running is hard!

Yesterday I went for a run in the new kicks. You are so much closer to the ground, I had no idea what to expect. They say don't go far at first, like 1/4 mile. I poo pooh'd that and went 4 miles - that's what my run called for) and it felt great! I foam rolled for a while and then today I feel pretty good - just one sore spot on the back of my right heel - so I guess I'm striking that side apparently. They definately force you to pplace your feet correctly! I am excited to see how the transition goes to a zero drop shoe. I had 2 foot surgeries on my right ankle for ligament reconstruction in the past, so I'm always afraid I will hurt it, but I will hold on to the hope that it will just learn to deal and be as awesome as it has been thus far! Just been a twinge of pain here and there, but that could also be my mileage has increased 3 fold, I did 20 miles in total last week!!!! (Note, I did put my half-shoe orthotics in these, as I did in my Newtons) otherwise I was worried about my ankle stability).

But all in all, a happy me!!!!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I'm so proud of everyone, you are all doing so great!!! I can't even fathom a 31 minute 5K right now :) Especially in the rain and sleet!!!

Update for me! Got full time at my job on Friday (from 4 days a week) so that was a very nice present so I treated myself to some new vibram 5 finger running shoes - WIERD but strangely comfy.

Sunday hubby and I went to the beach and I ran the longest ever - 5 miles - in my old Newtons (I say old, they are 3 months with about 200 or so miles on them) and it was epically awesome - faster pace than on the road and it was so awesome! I loved it! (I did stop for a one minute walk at each mile marker starting at mile 2 tho - not sure if that had something to do with it? I decided it wasn't cheating because beach running is hard!

Yesterday I went for a run in the new kicks. You are so much closer to the ground, I had no idea what to expect. They say don't go far at first, like 1/4 mile. I poo pooh'd that and went 4 miles - that's what my run called for) and it felt great! I foam rolled for a while and then today I feel pretty good - just one sore spot on the back of my right heel - so I guess I'm striking that side apparently. They definately force you to pplace your feet correctly! I am excited to see how the transition goes to a zero drop shoe. I had 2 foot surgeries on my right ankle for ligament reconstruction in the past, so I'm always afraid I will hurt it, but I will hold on to the hope that it will just learn to deal and be as awesome as it has been thus far! Just been a twinge of pain here and there, but that could also be my mileage has increased 3 fold, I did 20 miles in total last week!!!! (Note, I did put my half-shoe orthotics in these, as I did in my Newtons) otherwise I was worried about my ankle stability).

But all in all, a happy me!!!!

What a great run! I actually saw a guy running in Vibrams on the sidewalk and his strike was distinctly different and very smooth. It's got to be great for all your foot muscles.

Running on the beach is one of the things that I've always wanted to be able to do and it's definitely on my bucket list now that I can.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I'm finally coming to terms with treadmill running, at least during the week. The fact that it was 7 degrees this morning definitely swayed me toward the treadmill. Ha. I still want to get outside for longer runs on the weekends. Yesterday a friend of mine told me she'd show me some local trails where she runs on the weekends in the winter when the snow banks make it dangerous to run on the roads (they get awfully narrow).

I'm back to running for time vs. distance. For whatever reason that's easier for me to deal with on the treadmill. I'm getting more comfortable with my stride on it. Went just one tick faster today than I did last time, which is at least getting closer to my outdoor pace. This morning I walked for 5, ran for 30, walked for 5.

Great job! I know I'm going to put some time in on the treadmill this "winter." The key I found last year is that it needs to be a tool/game. Just running for 30 minutes is really hard. Focusing on one or more aspects of one's form makes it a lot easier - it's actually a really nice experience because it's such a predictable surface.

Actually, on that note, I did a quick google and found some great tips and ideas:

1) Move your treadmill outside

2) Run hard and watch your form get more efficient (http://www.runningfit.com/index.php?Itemid=85&task=view&option=com_content&id=192)

3) Random Pickup

Tom Holland, a triathlete and physiologist in Darien, Connecticut, suggests watching a 30-minute TV program, like the nightly news. Increase your speed so that you're running hard (about 80 percent of your maximum) during the commercials. When Katie Couric returns, slow your pace to an easy jog.

4) Intervals (http://triathlon.competitor.com/2012/02/training/three-running-workouts-for-the-treadmill_26232/1)

5) Pro workouts (http://www.runnersworld.com/workouts/how-real-runners-train-treadmills?page=single)
  • likitisplit
    Options
    If you haven't yet, everybody should go read btsinmd's story on the 5k board - It's under Becky's "Success Stories" thread. Wow!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    And, Yay!, I should be ok to run again on Tuesday. I have Rduhlir's Reconditioning Run all tee'd up on Endomondo :)

Run a half mile, walk a minute - repeat four times. Becky invented the schedule for me when I didn't know what to do after my LAST bout of kid-crud.

Today, I feel like I'm going to be staging a "come-back" every 6 months. I just get to the point where it feels REALLY good and then it all falls apart :( And I was SO looking forward to applying my half-marathon base to a 5k. :sad:

Oh, well. It's not like it really matters as long as I'm still running, right? :happy:
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I got a run in on Sunday morning before all the partying commenced:

11-10-2013_zps666688af.jpg

I was running at a city park near where my daughter lives in southeast Texas- very flat and concrete. :frown:

I'm also adding the data from my 2 mile run last Wednesday, because I'm so dang proud of the pace! (I didn't post the data before because I was at my mom's.)

11-6-2013_zpse93b2125.jpg
  • solardippo
    solardippo Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Ouch ouch ouch. I have ordered a foam roller and some spiky torture balls, and not a moment too soon. I may have done too much this morning. The C210K app had me on 3x 17 minute runs this morning with 2x 1 minute walk breaks, but I did that thing of skipping the walk breaks (bar a minute at a set of never-changing traffic lights) and kept going. Round and round and up and down the local park - not the route I had planned at all, but kept going for what measured at 7 miles (but is probably more like 6.5. Squiggly GPS). It felt fine at the time, and while I was not breaking any records for speed my legs have been nagging me all day. Odd inner ankle niggles/ sore spots and arches. I have feet so flat you could build on them, but can't wear any sort of arch support at all without crying. Hmmmm. The trainers I ended up with when starting C25K - after well over an hour of being fitted at an impressively dedicated local running shop - were described to me as "neutral" and I love them, but now I am worrying they are not right (Brooks Ghost 5 I think).

Anyway, ouch and ache. I did batter myself with the kitchen rolling pin when I got in, but this ankle thing is new. I probably have *terrible* form!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Ouch ouch ouch. I have ordered a foam roller and some spiky torture balls, and not a moment too soon. I may have done too much this morning. The C210K app had me on 3x 17 minute runs this morning with 2x 1 minute walk breaks, but I did that thing of skipping the walk breaks (bar a minute at a set of never-changing traffic lights) and kept going. Round and round and up and down the local park - not the route I had planned at all, but kept going for what measured at 7 miles (but is probably more like 6.5. Squiggly GPS). It felt fine at the time, and while I was not breaking any records for speed my legs have been nagging me all day. Odd inner ankle niggles/ sore spots and arches. I have feet so flat you could build on them, but can't wear any sort of arch support at all without crying. Hmmmm. The trainers I ended up with when starting C25K - after well over an hour of being fitted at an impressively dedicated local running shop - were described to me as "neutral" and I love them, but now I am worrying they are not right (Brooks Ghost 5 I think).

Anyway, ouch and ache. I did batter myself with the kitchen rolling pin when I got in, but this ankle thing is new. I probably have *terrible* form!

Stretch, stretch, stretch your calves - the way the muscles work, they will bang the hell out of your feet and ankles when running if they aren't able to flex easily. And then they'll tie up all the ligaments through your ankles and heel when they don't relax during your rest days.

That can also be developing foot muscles. Ice baths are what I do, especially if my legs feel tired. I had a massage therapist literally rub out a sore spot on the side of my foot that I'd been icing for two days. Something just got misaligned in there.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options

Run a half mile, walk a minute - repeat four times. Becky invented the schedule for me when I didn't know what to do after my LAST bout of kid-crud.

Today, I feel like I'm going to be staging a "come-back" every 6 months. I just get to the point where it feels REALLY good and then it all falls apart :( And I was SO looking forward to applying my half-marathon base to a 5k. :sad:

Oh, well. It's not like it really matters as long as I'm still running, right? :happy:

EXACTLY! As long as you're still running.

Thanks for the links. I'll check those out. I like the commercial break idea! I also wrote out Galloway's "hill run" and "long run" that I found online one night to try.

Also having a moment picturing the gym manager's face if I asked her to help me shove one of the treadmills outside. I bet that is way more fun. Even if I owned my own I doubt the electronics would hold up to Minnesota winters. Maybe if it was a self-propelled one?
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Also having a moment picturing the gym manager's face if I asked her to help me shove one of the treadmills outside. I bet that is way more fun. Even if I owned my own I doubt the electronics would hold up to Minnesota winters. Maybe if it was a self-propelled one?
    Maybe get a bubble tent http://www.bubbletree.fr/bbtree/racine/default.asp?id=1107
    and a space heater
    Put the treadmill on a trailer. Then put a bubble tent over it. Add the space heater. Then you have two choices.
    1) (One person) Drag the trailer to a different place each day
    2) (Two people) Haul the trailer as the person runs so the scenary varies -- HEY This might be the brand new thing in workouts. We could start a business, then go national!
  • joedfro
    joedfro Posts: 270
    Options
    Maybe get a bubble tent http://www.bubbletree.fr/bbtree/racine/default.asp?id=1107
    and a space heater
    Put the treadmill on a trailer. Then put a bubble tent over it. Add the space heater. Then you have two choices.
    1) (One person) Drag the trailer to a different place each day
    2) (Two people) Haul the trailer as the person runs so the scenary varies -- HEY This might be the brand new thing in workouts. We could start a business, then go national!

this suggestion cracked me up!

5 miles today..cold and very windy..one of those it really sucked to get going, thought about cutting it short, ended up finishing it feeling pretty good.