Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Felt like the best run I have done in ages. Told myself I was going to do a 3 mile loop around back to my flat, no more and I quickly realised I was going relatively fast and nothing hurt too much. Did the miles, came home, and am glad I went out even if I did have to wear a pair of wooly gloves for the first 15 minutes.

I think it was the catering at work that fueled that one. Lamb curry then banoffee pie. Oh dear.

Sounds awesome!! Love those kind of runs! Now I'm craving lamb curry.
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Like Ceci and solardippo, my run last night was quick and easy, just 2 miles, and I enjoyed it throughout. I can't believe that 2 miles really was just a quick and easy run. I wasn't even breathing that hard at the end, despite running as quickly as I could under those conditions (quite dark). The temp was 41 or 42F and my hands were cold, but the rest of me was fine wearing my skirt sports tough girl top and bottoms and headband and feeling very coordinated. Most of the time my clothing is clashing with each other, but not this outfit, the only outfit that I have only worn when it's pitch dark outside. Did my stretching, but forgot to ice the knee and so it wouldn't bend for a while this morning. Really annoyed with myself.

Nice ticker, Ceci!

Nice runs, Tim. Hope your wife heals from her stress reaction quickly. Good luck with the half.

Sorry about stepping on the nut, madmiss. I've stepped in holes, luckily shallow, enough that I'm always looking down when it's dark out. Since lately that's only been Wednesday night, I'm hoping that the rest of my runs will help me not get into the habit when I don't have to.

Last Sunday I ran/walked 5 miles with the running totalling 4 miles and the walking 1 mile. Since this weekend is a flyball tournament, and it's a 5 hour drive from home, I won't be getting any running in on Saturday or Sunday and may not be able to squeeze my Friday run in either. I'm driving with someone else and won't be in a position to bring much food with me and we'll be at a fairground with very little choice of what we can eat. So this is going to be a difficult weekend as far as food choices as well as formal exercise, but I'll be on my feet for pretty much two days straight.

A couple of things I've been thinking about. Just in curiousity at the last flyball tournament I asked my friend Amy, who's been a first responder for her local fire department for 20+ years about some "known" safety/health things.
    - Using I.C.E. on your cellphone for "In case of emergency" contacts -- she's heard of this, but just from other friends, it's never been mentioned at the job at all or in any kind of training; plus she personally thinks that people should lock their phones in case of theft which means that emergency personel wouldn't be able to see your phone contacts
    - Having ID on your person (shoe, dog tag) when you're running or bicycling -- she said that it would never occur to her to look at someone's shoe for id or search for a dog tag. She's never heard of someone putting id on their shoe.
    Now, of course, this is a poll of one person, not scientific at all, but it might be a good idea for running and/or bicycling groups to approach their local emergency responders and help with some useful education on both sides. I would like to know things that I can do to be safer when out exercising.

Don't you hate it when you've been doing upper body and/or chest exercises and it hurts to sneeze?
  • timeasterday
    Options
    - Using I.C.E. on your cellphone for "In case of emergency" contacts -- she's heard of this, but just from other friends, it's never been mentioned at the job at all or in any kind of training; plus she personally thinks that people should lock their phones in case of theft which means that emergency personel wouldn't be able to see your phone contacts

My wife's iPhone shows emergency contact info on the lock screen. I think it's an app (there's an app for everything, right?). I'm one of the few people without an iPhone. Just have my company Crapberry, I don't see a need to pay for another phone, I always wear my RoadID bracelet.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    No run or ride for me yesterday, it was dark by the time I got off work. Today it's raining, tomorrow I need to take it easy because I have a 10k on Saturday. Sure was hoping to get in one more run or ride before Saturday!

:grumble:
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Last night we ran six 400m intervals at race pace. Pretty much everyone in the group has a race next week so our coach wanted us to get a good feel for our target pace. It was a big difference from last week when we were running 800m intervals at a sub-7:00 pace. Running 400m at 9:00 pace felt slow but it did help me get a feel for my race pace. I nailed every interval within one second of my target time. That's the last speedwork session I'll be doing for a few weeks. I'll take a recovery break after the half marathon. And so will my wife due to a "stress reaction" in her upper tibia. She needs 2-3 weeks totally off running so it doesn't turn into a stress fracture.

Great work everyone! Keep up the fantastic progress!

Yikes. Good wishes for health to you and your wife!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I stepped on a giant nut with one foot while I was in my neighborhood rounds, and it hurt. I was looking up at the rain at the time in my headlamp because it looked like bugs. Stupid stupid! Owey! I've tried to train myself not to look down, but apparently at night it's a good idea ;)

Ouch. Luckily (?) the only bad thing I've stepped in at night, I was able to scrape off with a stick.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Having ID on your person (shoe, dog tag) when you're running or bicycling -- she said that it would never occur to her to look at someone's shoe for id or search for a dog tag. She's never heard of someone putting id on their shoe.

Wouldn't they do an assessment and check if something were constricting the neck and kind of look at the whole person? My bracelet is bright pink and my shoe tag is readily apparent. Road ID has a bunch of stories where it really was effective.

From my conversations with police officers, that's the kind of thing that they would notice (not that I've specifically asked a cop, but I have heard cops describe people and they're very detailed) so there's a good chance they'd check it out just to see what it was.

I agree with the running/biking community having an ongoing dialogue with first responders. I think we'd all be better off with a bit more education.
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options

Ouch. Luckily (?) the only bad thing I've stepped in at night, I was able to scrape off with a stick.

:laugh: Nothing to do with me - I bag my dog's poop lol
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Time for a quick 2miles today at an average 10.25min mile. Was absolutely freezing cold with an icy wind blowing so I was in a hurry to get back into the warm :)

Next week I'm going to have a longer run if it kills me although I really did enjoy today's run even if it was a bit nippy - absence makes the heart grow fonder even when it comes to running, it would appear :)

PS: Ceci .... you rock :bigsmile:
  • likitisplit
    Options
    This morning's run was terrific: light and fluid. Running is really becoming...dare I say it? Easy. Also, I'm not going to be able to go to Kroger and back for a 45 minute run. I need a more distant point - perhaps the terrific local bakery that's about a half mile up the road? With the amazing cheese danishes...this could be BAD.
  • timeasterday
    Options
    This morning's run was terrific: light and fluid. Running is really becoming...dare I say it? Easy. Also, I'm not going to be able to go to Kroger and back for a 45 minute run. I need a more distant point - perhaps the terrific local bakery that's about a half mile up the road? With the amazing cheese danishes...this could be BAD.

LOL - my wife & I have already mapped out a good running route from the local greenway to a Korean bakery/coffee house.

That's great that your running is feeling easy! Gotta love that!
  • solardippo
    solardippo Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Yay for easy runs and boo to dog poo. Sorry to hear about your wife being injured Tim.

I hadn't thought about ID when I am out. I do always have my phone on me and it is not locked. It has both ICE contacts in it and 'home'. I remember there being a push on adding ICE to your phone a few years ago and I think it generally is checked for here. The main thing I always make sure to carry with me bar my phone is £10 or £20. I don't imagine anything disastrous happening to me, but think that a twisted ankle or the like is going to happen eventually and being able to get a taxi home or to hospital needs to be covered.

I had a decent nearly 6 mile run this morning. The cold didn't bother me too much and it has been mostly dry so not too icy. I tackled that hill in the park again. I only made it all the way up once in 6 tries last week. This time... 7 times to the top! I ran slowly down the long shallow way on go 1 and 7 but otherwise walked back down the steeper way. Pretty much felt like a near death experience at the time but it made for a comedy Runtastic graph again with my runs to and from the park on either side.

26196584_6249.jpg
  • Rindy12
    Rindy12 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Road ID has an app for iPhones, Android is still to come. It sends out a text to predefined contacts with a link to your location if you don't move for 5 minutes. You have the option to turn it off if you stop on pupose.
  • joedfro
    joedfro Posts: 270
    Options
    Progression since completing C25K has ben very well. Took my son out last night for a 5 mile build up run(1 mile warm and cool down down)
    mile 1 10:28
    mile 2 9:42
    mile 3 9:21
    mile 4 9:04
    mile 5 9:34

Felt great! I feel like over the last month a 5 mile run has replaced what a 3 mile run felt. Gonna go for a fist this weekend and tackle a LS of 8 miles. Sorry that I have not been commenting much lately, but I do read daily, in between the insane amount of work I have had lately.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Great job!
  • madmiss
    madmiss Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Finished hell week, looking forward to something other than 3 miles tomorrow ;) I feel the need for beer and cigars tonight which I am currently doing and a loooong run tomorrow am! ;) I contemplated a pleasantly tipsy night run but then thought better of hurling up my shrimp quesadillas ;)
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    This summer I bought a GoSportID (Earndit had a reward for $10 off) after realizing if I was unconscious, or worse, nobody would have any idea who I am. It has my name & my emergency contact's name & phone number. I bought a fairly inexpensive one where the tag can go on one of 8 different colored wrist bands (similar to the Livestrong bands). I wear it every time I run.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    Finished hell week, looking forward to something other than 3 miles tomorrow ;) I feel the need for beer and cigars tonight which I am currently doing and a loooong run tomorrow am! ;) I contemplated a pleasantly tipsy night run but then thought better of hurling up my shrimp quesadillas ;)

Hurling up shrimp quesdaillas....that's all kinds of wrong. :smile:
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    I had a decent nearly 6 mile run this morning. The cold didn't bother me too much and it has been mostly dry so not too icy. I tackled that hill in the park again. I only made it all the way up once in 6 tries last week. This time... 7 times to the top! I ran slowly down the long shallow way on go 1 and 7 but otherwise walked back down the steeper way. Pretty much felt like a near death experience at the time but it made for a comedy Runtastic graph again with my runs to and from the park on either side.

Awesome job with the hills!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options

If by "bad" you mean "amazing," then yes.