Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Today I did something awesome! 7 miles in 1.24 hrs, and only one minute of walking at mile 5 to reset my feet which we're getting a bit numb. I had a hat, gloves, the open road the wind and an amazing reality that I am a runner, with the quickest mile being mile 7 at 11.33. I started running 4 months ago Tuesday - and I'm at 55 miles for the month. I'm so very proud of myself. Thanks for the encouragement in here, I love this place!

That is all kinds of awesome!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    This morning I did a 6.2 trail run just down the road at Buford Dam. It was 30°F out and a bit windy but the sun was out. The trail was covered with leaves in most places making it dangerous. I couldn't see the tree roots and rocks. Nearly rolled my ankles many times but fortunately didn't hurt anything. I was aiming for 8 miles but cut it short. I don't want to risk an injury so close to a race. I wore the same clothes I plan to wear to the Thanksgiving half marathon just to make sure I'm warm enough. Race morning should be 28°F.

My one trail run there were areas of the trail covered by leaves, which freaked me out. In addition to hiding roots & rocks the trail was also damp making the leaves slippery too. Good call cutting it just a bit short so you didn't sprain an ankle. Were you warm enough?
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    My one trail run there were areas of the trail covered by leaves, which freaked me out. In addition to hiding roots & rocks the trail was also damp making the leaves slippery too. Good call cutting it just a bit short so you didn't sprain an ankle. Were you warm enough?

Yep - plenty warm once I got warmed up. Two layers of long-sleeved tech shirts, CW-X tights with shorts over that, gloves, and a regular cap. The race is encouraging runners to wear clothes to the start line that can be donated. I have so many fleece jackets and sweatshirts so I might layer a couple on before the race to donate.
  • timeasterday
    Options
    Oh, now the forecast for Thanksgiving morning is 23°F. And a chance of snow the day before. And sleet tomorrow morning (and we need to head downtown for the expo). Yikes!
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    My 10k went really well, I think! Official time 1:04:51.5, pace 10:28. I finished 104 overall out of 136 and 9th (last) in my age group. (I did finish just ahead of a guy my age- I had more left at the end than him- he walked the last 100 yds or so, which I sprinted!)

I think the temp was about 27F when we started. I dressed in layers and felt pretty good. After about 2 miles, I unzipped the jacket. At just before the 3 mile mark, I took off the gloves. I had to stop once to adjust my sock, but felt pretty good the whole way!

The weather promises to be entirely too cold to get out and do much most of this week. :grumble:

Good news is, I get to join a gym next week! :bigsmile:
  • timeasterday
    Options
    My 10k went really well, I think! Official time 1:04:51.5, pace 10:28. I finished 104 overall out of 136 and 9th (last) in my age group. (I did finish just ahead of a guy my age- I had more left at the end than him- he walked the last 100 yds or so, which I sprinted!)

Great job!!! Sounds like you dealt with the cold very well. And enjoy the gym! Joining a gym a few months ago was one of the best things I ever did for my fitness (especially during the time I couldn't run).
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    And a chance of "snow" the day before.

Fixed your typo. So, do I get bread and milk now or wait until Tuesday?

I keep going back and forth on taking Nina with me to the Gobble Jog. 23 seems a little nippy for her to be pushed in a stroller :(
  • likitisplit
    Options

I think the temp was about 27F when we started. I dressed in layers and felt pretty good. After about 2 miles, I unzipped the jacket. At just before the 3 mile mark, I took off the gloves. I had to stop once to adjust my sock, but felt pretty good the whole way!

The weather promises to be entirely too cold to get out and do much most of this week. :grumble:

Good news is, I get to join a gym next week! :bigsmile:

Great job!

And joining a gym is wonderful - cross train those critical muscles.
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Well I did my 1.5hr run and it went ok all things considered (that is, considering I've been a right slacker the past week or so!).

Managed 7.75miles. I was tempted to push on the last quarter of a mile to make it up to 8miles but if I'm being honest, I was pretty done in by then plus my return journey was at a faster pace so I was already having to walk up and down my street several times like some sort of dayglo cat burglar in order to cool down before going indoors.

Ceci that was a great time for your 10k - even better that you still had some in the tank at the end :)
  • joedfro
    joedfro Posts: 270
    Options
    Finished first 8 mile long run today @ 9:31mile/min...

felt great during the run, but afterwards felt weirdish, and couldn't understand why...i didn't eat supper last night and only had about 600 calories before the run...anyways i found out today that 8 miles was my limit if i am low on food for the day

I felt weirdish after my first 8 mile run last week too. I think I might be getting into GU territory. Time to figure out race gels. I have heard that after 1 hour you need a little something, but I have been trying to not use anything other than a little water until I absolutely have to...Apparently 1 hour and 15 minutes is about when I need a boost.

Umm, whats GU territory? I'm reading Giant Unicorns, but i may still be a bit weirdish...everyone seems to be doing great...plan called for an easy 2 miles this morning (which is irritating to get all bundled up for, but I am a stickler when it comes to following a plan. 5 mile tempo planned for wednesday, 3 miles on thursday, and another 8 miler set for saturday.

december 7th is my second 5k, and it's in my hometown, so i'm hoping to do well...no other races planned until the 25k on february 15th and so far I have covered half that distance, so it's looking pretty good so far.

BTW...last week i broke 20 miles for a week :)
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Really nice going to all! That sounded like a nice 10k Ceci.

I just wanted to wish everyone doing them, well on their upcoming Thanksgiving runs.

I had planned to do a run today, and may well still, but am feeling very stiff after being on my feet all weekend and might opt to go to water aerobics instead. I'm so excited that Wednesday through Sunday I will have the option to run and/or bike while it's still light outside. The pool will be closed during that time too, so I very well might do the pool today and tomorrow and run or bike the rest of the week.
  • likitisplit
    Options

felt great during the run, but afterwards felt weirdish, and couldn't understand why...i didn't eat supper last night and only had about 600 calories before the run...anyways i found out today that 8 miles was my limit if i am low on food for the day

I felt weirdish after my first 8 mile run last week too. I think I might be getting into GU territory. Time to figure out race gels. I have heard that after 1 hour you need a little something, but I have been trying to not use anything other than a little water until I absolutely have to...Apparently 1 hour and 15 minutes is about when I need a boost.

Umm, whats GU territory? I'm reading Giant Unicorns, but i may still be a bit weirdish...everyone seems to be doing great...plan called for an easy 2 miles this morning (which is irritating to get all bundled up for, but I am a stickler when it comes to following a plan. 5 mile tempo planned for wednesday, 3 miles on thursday, and another 8 miler set for saturday.

december 7th is my second 5k, and it's in my hometown, so i'm hoping to do well...no other races planned until the 25k on february 15th and so far I have covered half that distance, so it's looking pretty good so far.

BTW...last week i broke 20 miles for a week :)

Energy gels, silly. https://guenergy.com/

Awesome on the 20 miles in a week.
  • likitisplit
    Options

I've heard that your body learns to burn fat on those long runs if you don't use energy but, at our level, learning to fuel during a race is paramount. At least in my opinion.

During the race, I ate one chew every other mile (http://www.gatorade.com/products/endurance/carb-energy-chews). During the runs, I started drinking gatorade at 8 miles and then using chews during my last two long runs (11 and 12 miles). I could really tell the difference when I started using the chews.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Tim and Varda- So do you run out, then break for the coffee and danish, then run back?

That's what I did.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Apparently I took 1 second off my time and finished in the bottom 10% again!

A 31:45 5k is under a 10:30 mile, which is just slightly below average. So you're right, they are fast. Good for you getting out there and rocking it.

Also, if I'm reading this correctly, "Bottom 10%" is not the same as "last" And that's awesome too!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Well I did my 1.5hr run and it went ok all things considered (that is, considering I've been a right slacker the past week or so!).

Managed 7.75miles. I was tempted to push on the last quarter of a mile to make it up to 8miles but if I'm being honest, I was pretty done in by then plus my return journey was at a faster pace so I was already having to walk up and down my street several times like some sort of dayglo cat burglar in order to cool down before going indoors.

Ceci that was a great time for your 10k - even better that you still had some in the tank at the end :)

Running clothes do not make good apparel for thieves. "Officer, she was wearing neon pink running shoes, pants with a reflective orange stripe and a bright yellow hat with a light attached to it"
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Hospital on Wednesday so I'll look like a B movie pirate for a few days so tomorrow will probably be my only run this week but the good news is I'm back to normal with days off etc from the week after so I'm going to get back on track before I turn into a sloth!

I'll have you in my thoughts and pray for an easy recovery.
  • joedfro
    joedfro Posts: 270
    Options

I've heard that your body learns to burn fat on those long runs if you don't use energy but, at our level, learning to fuel during a race is paramount. At least in my opinion.

During the race, I ate one chew every other mile (http://www.gatorade.com/products/endurance/carb-energy-chews). During the runs, I started drinking gatorade at 8 miles and then using chews during my last two long runs (11 and 12 miles). I could really tell the difference when I started using the chews.

I wonder if that fat burning thing is true...i still have about 6 pounds to lose, but I have increased my food intake to compensate for running 4 days a week now...I'm so flippping minimalist about what i carry with me when i run...I can't imagine carrying a water bottle yet and can only imagine how sticky chews would be tucked inside my pockets. I suppose I could carry a water. bottle and drop it off at mile 2 since i do an out and back.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I wonder if that fat burning thing is true...i still have about 6 pounds to lose, but I have increased my food intake to compensate for running 4 days a week now...I'm so flippping minimalist about what i carry with me when i run...I can't imagine carrying a water bottle yet and can only imagine how sticky chews would be tucked inside my pockets. I suppose I could carry a water. bottle and drop it off at mile 2 since i do an out and back.

I started carrying hydration at 8? 9? 10? miles? The trail I ran had water fountains that I'd use but at a certain point it wasn't enough. My pee was getting darker and I smelled like ammonia in the shower after a long run (which is from burning protein not dehydration, but still).

With the chews, you can open the wrapper just enough to get one chew out and wrap it so the others are encased.
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Very proud of my kids, completed week 6 of c25k which is a 25 minute run. They managed it easily (much easier than I did first time round!) and still managed to sprint the last minute. Finding it harder to fit in the runs now that the weather is becoming more unpredictable but we'll be finished before Christmas.