2 week challenge

Options

Replies

• abigail1977
    abigail1977 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I am a little behind with the introduction thing, but here it is. My name is Abigail, I am 36, married with two kids both girls. I have an accounting job and I love to dance. I take pretty much any adult class I can get into, it is always changing. I have done tap, jazz, modern, hip hop & ballet. I am 5' 8.5" and my goal weight is 135, but my body likes to be 140, so that is a constant struggle. For exercise I do a mix of strength and cardio, some yoga & of course my dance classes.

My 2 week challenge goals got postponed until today so I am just getting started, but I did manage a cardio workout at home & I have not had any wheat or sugar today so the week is off to a good start! The kids were supposed to go back to school from Christmas break on Thursday, but we got hit with a major snowstorm and school was closed for two more days. I ended up being a total couch potato & watched the whole 3rd season of Fringe. I didn't even work out, I was totally lazy & ended up eating tons of junk then we went to Texas Roadhouse last night with some gift certificates we got for Christmas, so I have some major work to do.

Have a great week everyone & I will try to check in more frequently to see how everyone is doing as they start the new year.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    Abigail --->>> "The kids were supposed to go back to school from Christmas break on Thursday, but we got hit with a major snowstorm and school was closed for two more days. I ended up being a total couch potato & watched the whole 3rd season of Fringe. I didn't even work out, I was totally lazy & ended up eating tons of junk then we went to Texas Roadhouse last night with some gift certificates we got for Christmas, so I have some major work to do."

THAT SOUNDS LIKE TONS O' FUN!!!

My "NO EXCUSES" challenge is going well....25 more days to go!!

My "habits" are forming well, too....been brushing my teeth. Going to bed at 10 pm. Drinking water (but not like before where "desert-dehydration-style" seemed to be my motis operandi!)

On the "planning" front:

1. calories are 1,350 per day.
    2. trying to do more protein shakes/bars to keep my calories lower and my protein higher
    3. Wednesday nights are the 'new' 2014 date-night for me and hubby....I'll probably be choosing chicken + salads for the next while, but that's okay - some time with my beloved is good enough for me!

BOOM!
  • Better_Balance_2011
    Better_Balance_2011 Posts: 3,711 Member
    Options
    I had a really good first weekend in 2014. I moderated my drinking really well, which is probably my biggest challenge. I ate reasonably; was over calories but not terribly. I got a short run in Saturday; would have done more but my belly was a little icky and I wore out fast. My husband had his first session with his trainer and he liked it, so that makes me happy. I'm hoping working out is something we can do together in 2014. Yesterday I lifted and I am sore today. I also had the trainer help with my deadlift form and I think I can finally go up in weight now. So I am feeling great today! Although super busy so I better run. Let's have a great week!
  • tayloryay
    tayloryay Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    So far I'm on track with my goals as well, although that isn't translating to the scale for some reason! I've tracked accurately all week and stayed under my calorie goal, and exercised a few days. Didn't do any exercise over the weekend, but I also didn't go over my calories, and considering Saturday was my birthday I"d say that's a success! I have a new goal for this week, which is to not weigh myself every day. Failed on that today, but we'll see how it goes for the rest of the week. I'll likely be hiding my scale when I get home today!

Had dinner with my sister-in-law and (what appears to be) her new boyfriend, and it was really nice. We spent a lot of the evening discussing fitness, which was quite fun! I think they may have inspired my husband to really start exercising again, though we don't have access to weights and are low on funds at the moment so he'll have to settle for body-weight exercises like me!
  • ramalem
    ramalem Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday!

Welcome to all the new comers :)

Beeps - My goal is also not to see 150 again in 2014. I am currently right at 152 (fluctuates) so I'm working to get rid of at least 3 and then I don't want to see that number pop back up. Wednesday date nights are the best, my hubby and I have them weekly.

Abigail - Hope you survived the snow. I've been feeling real bad for everyone stuck in the extreme cold... I've been meaning to start watching Fringe. Is it good?

Better - Thanks for starting that new mileage challenge btw! I couldn't make 50, but 30 is definitely doable!

Tmr - I hadn't weighed myself in over 3 weeks until this AM :)

Goals:

1. Water
    2. Eat smaller meals every few hours - I've started to get nauseous if I don't.
    3. Finish my last NROL4W Stage 1 workout this week, and then it's a week (3-4 days) of cardio only before I start stage 2
    4. Get 7-8 hours of sleep a night
    5. Not overdo it on food or booze in Texas this weekend
  • teresand77
    teresand77 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. Hope you don't mind if I join your challenge. My name is Teresa and I am 36, married 8 years with a 2.5 year old son. We live in southern Arizona. I have been on MFP for a few years and pretty consistent for the past six months. It helps me a lot. I do great with the exercise part (I am a fitness instructor and an environmental engineer) but not so good with the healthy eating and drinking water.

My two week goals are:

-- Drink a minimum of 64 oz of water a day (I would like to drink more but I am going to start with that)
    -- Track everything I eat right away (I think I am missing probably 5-10% of my calories due to grabbing handfuls of goldfish from my son's plate, etc)
    -- Eat 30% protein a day and stay within calories
    -- Stretch 3-5 minutes after lifting weights (I run out the door as soon as I'm done to get my little guy)

My husband got me two great fitness gadgets for our anniversary in December and Christmas. He got me a sixpack bag which is great for bringing healthy meals to work and in the car (I drive a lot) and a Fitbit Force. I agree with Beeps that I wouldn't rely on it totally for calorie burn but it is great to recognize which days you're totally inactive. Like today at work I haven't gotten up in two hours! :)
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Better - it's going to be a G-R-E-A-T week!

tmrw88 - here's hoping your hubby gets on the FITNESS-TRAIN!

ramalem - I'm 145.8 lbs today, so, yep, the scale is DEFINITELY moving in the downward direction that I want. Hmmmmm, maybe I can actually get to 135 by spring! (and stick around THAT # FOR-EVAH!)

teresand77 - goals look awesome!

Got my lifting in-and-done....I remain TOTALLY STOKED at the FOCUS I have for "NO EXCUSES" january!

BOOM!
  • ramalem
    ramalem Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    @Beeps - way to go! I did my lifting today at lunch too.
  • kelleybean1
    kelleybean1 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone. I'm Kelley and 54 which makes me the "older broad".
    I've been working on this last 10 lbs--well, since my kids were born. (They're 22 & 23 now) I've lost then regained the same 5 lbs nearly every year-but I'm determined, this will be the one that works! I'm with you on the NO EXCUSES JANUARY!!!!
    I lift weight 3x wk with hubby (P90X) and run 3mi 3x a week.
    I'm a teacher (Elementary Art) and do agility competitions with my dog. (Running an obstacle course)

My 2 wk goal:
    HONESTLY track for the whole month.
    Drink more water-min 48 oz ideally 64 oz daily. (This is REALLY hard for me, I'd be a great camel!)
  • KellyBgetsfit
    KellyBgetsfit Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Abigail- sounds like fun to me! I was way to busy over break and wish I had taken a day to veg!

Beeps- great job! I need to join a no excuses challenge!!! But I'd probably have an excuse to have no excuse!

Ashley- great job this weekend! keep it up! I thought about joking your running challenge, but it's just to cold. Maybe in March? Lol.

ram- great job lifting today! Nice goals!

Welcome, Teresa!

Kelley-I am working on honest logging too!

I had to go back to work today :sad: and sit in a training all day. I am doing good with logging but I need to do better with working out. I recorded my gain yesterday. BOO! I am going to weigh in every week though. I was looking at my weigh ins since I've been on here. I thought I weighed in weekly last time. I did a challenge, but I guess I didn't record it. I was surprised to see I was in the 120s until May! I thought it was like March. Anyway, I WILL get into the 120s again and NEVER get into the 130s again. I was 115 for years, but. I haven't been under 125 since my second baby. Hopefully this will be my year!
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies!

I am going to try and jump in too if that's ok. I was actually one of the original NTHGs but stopped hanging with the group when it got pregnant. Got back down to goal body fat and beyond about 3 months or so after my son was born but the last few months have been super challenging for me personally and I slacked off on exercise and let myself emotionally eat. Now I have at least 5 or so lbs to lose (not officially weighing in until TOM is over lol) but at least no one has noticed yet and my clothes still fit!

Goals
    Intermittent fasting 14-16 hrs/day (keeps me from eating after dinner, etc)
    Limit sweets
    Focus on protein and veggies
    Workout 3 times a week (gotta start somewhere)
    Log calories
  • tayloryay
    Options
    I was actually considering intermittent fasting but I wasn't entirely sure about it! The stuff I read said it may not be as effective for women, though I suppose it depends on the individual of course. I also worry I would struggle to eat enough during the allowed window, and end up severely undereating. If I get stuck for too long I may try it out, though!
  • shander7
    shander7 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies! Welcome to all the new comers, all of your goals look awesome!

Tmrw- I tried IF a few years ago, it was okay, but it wasn't for me, I tend to get a low blood sugar in the morning, so I at least need something small! You could always try it and just make sure you eat calorie dense foods to make sure you hit all of your nutrients!

Cutmd - welcome back! Your goals look great :) I hope you're feeling a bit better, and your son is adorable! I'm glad to see you back:drinker:

Kelly - You'll have to let us know how the weekly weigh-ins go! Do you just weigh once a week or do you weigh every day and just log one day? Just curious :)

Kelley - Welcome! your goals look great!!! I hope you follow them well!

Beeps - Nice with doing the lifting at lunch! I wish I had time, my department only gets a half hour for lunch!

I went to the gym after work yesterday and holy moly is it filled with New Years resolution-ers! I like to do a bit of cardio before weights and there was only 1 elliptical... no treadmills at all! and I was only able to do about 10-15 minutes of free weights because there were so many people I had no room to do anything! I'm seriously considering waking up super early to work out in the morning... ugh! Sorry, I had to rant!! My fiance and I are back on the healthy train for eating! I'm not going to go overboard and ban foods from our diets but I am trying to make healthy versions of meals and we have cut out (most) drinking from during the week. I'm already down the 4lbs I gained from the holidays (I drank wine like it was water over break!) So that feels good, hopefully I will continue! I hope you all have a great Tuesday :)
  • tayloryay
    Options
    I remember the New Years rush at the gym all too well! Glad I don't have to deal with it this year, though it would be nice to have access to gym equipment. I'm seriously looking into getting an elliptical for home. We don't have a lot of room, but I know they make some that are pretty compact, or that can be stored away. I definitely wouldn't need anything fancy! My husband wants to get some weights, too, but again, storage issues (and the money of course)!

Congrats on the 4 lbs!! That's really great! Alcohol calories can definitely add up. I imagine just cutting that out can make a huge difference!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I re-started my "weight" ticker to the 2014, Jan 1 start weight....I'm tired of seeing my 2011/12 numbers, which are SKY-high scale #'s that, frankly, I haven't seen in 18 months (or more).

So, my ticker starts at 149.0 lb. My 2014 (over-arching) goal is to NEVER get above that. However, I also expect to be <140 in the next 6- weeks and, then, really, my (over-arching) FOREVER goal is to NEVER get above 140 lbs., again.

Totally do-able. (I weighed in at 145.8 lbs yesterday.)

Calorie-deficits WORK. Oh, and for me, so does intermittent feeding.

BOOM!

kclynch - this is YOUR year!

cutmd - glad to see a veteran here....I figured Amy had that title covered!

shander - there was NOBODY at my gym yesterday at lunch....but, I expect my Saturday cardio class to be OVERFLOWING.
  • RisOnTheRun
    RisOnTheRun Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all the newbies and welcome back cutmd! I'm Marissa (Ris works too), and I'm 32 with a 10-week old little boy. I work a desk job, which I'm back to three days a week until my spot in daycare opens up. I've been slacking on logging and checking in here, but hopefully now that I'm back in front of a computer all day it'll be easier to stay on top of this thread.

Right now I'm in maintenance mode, but I'm trying to get back to an exercise routine and to get my diet in check so that I can lose those last few pregnancy pounds when I'm ready. I've been giving myself a free pass on sweets because of the holidays, but I've been going overboard. I know that once I cut back my cravings for sweets will also go away, but it's hard to get there. So my two week goals are:

1. To work on cutting down my consumption of desserts and not to buy any more sweets until I'm able to limit myself to 100 calories of desserts a day.
    2. To get in some sort of exercise in every day.
    3. To log every day.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    http://bradpilon.com/weight-loss/the-truth-about-calorie-deficits/

^^^ THIS is what I believe. THIS was in my in-box this morning....
  • L_in_NY
    L_in_NY Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies! Did really well yesterday, below my cals and got a workout in. Today has been ok. I've been doing really well w/ my eating and watching my cals, drinking lots of water but I have yet to work out.

I stayed home today and am sort of working from home. Mostly I've been to the store to get some produce & now I'm considering taking the tree down. HAHAHA

Happy Tuesday! Keep up the great work!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    L_in_NY - took my tree down New Year's Day.

....and, I'm just about to head out for my FIRST piano lesson in about, ohhhhhh, 30 YEARS?!?!?!?

Don't ask how THIS got into my 2014 schedule....let's just say that I'm trying (REALLY HARD!) to appreciate the "opportunity" that has been presented (thrown upon????) me....
  • tayloryay
    Options
    Ooh have fun at the piano lesson! I wish I could take lessons again, but my piano is 4 hours away in another state! I miss it.