Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Really love read this topic! Laughs, inspiration, and ideas!

Ran 6.5 miles and walked for about a half hour today. My hips, butt, and calves hurt. I am absolutely delighted about that, weird though that is. I like that it's an even kind of hurt, equal on both sides which means that it's not on the "knee gives me problems" side and it's not on the other side which would mean I'm over compensating. It's an equal hurt. Yeah!

One strange thing I've been noticing for the past month is that I'm noticing the downhills. It used to be that when I ran my regular route 5k or 4 mile, that I'd run the flat (a little longer for the 4 mile), then run up the long mile hill, then turn around and run down the hill and then the flat. I'd feel going up the hill. Boy, did I feel the hill. But then I'd be tired and just focused on the running home without really noticing anything other than breathing, posture, and getting one foot in front of the other and under the body. Then, just lately I've been feeling the hill. You know as a child the little thrill you get as you run downhill (or maybe you all get that now too), I'm feeling that, "Whee! Fun!" feeling during the steeper parts of the downhill. I'm even feeling it on the 10k when it occurs off and on mile 5, when I should be really tired again, but I'm still feeling it. I like that.

Hips butt and calves are where you should be feeling it. I know exactly what you are talking about with the hill. It's like you're on a bicycle rolling down the hill, rather than running it.
  • joedfro
    joedfro Posts: 270
    Options
    off day today...but feeling itchy...

I agree about being sore in those areas while pulling hills!!!
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Did 3.5k with my daughter this morning. I bought her some new running tights and a running jacket with thumbholes which she loves. The only downside from her point of view is that she only gets to keep them if she goes running! And I have chocolate! Bribery works! We had a nice chat as we ran, she was telling me that one of her friends thinks that it is weird that we run and laughs at us, so we talked about the importance of being healthy and exercising, and I also told her she will kick her friend's butt on sport's day!!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Chocolate and thumb holes are great motivators! And this is going to be a great lesson in doing your own thing. You are doing great!
  • romyhorse
    Options
    Chocolate and thumb holes are great motivators! And this is going to be a great lesson in doing your own thing. You are doing great!

They are running at school to raise money for Sport Relief and have to run for 35 minutes, she was the only one in her year to run the full 35 minutes. Her brother also ran the full 35 minutes without stopping. So proud of them, they wouldn't have been able to do that a year ago.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    did not like hearing i was over 40 :( i'll start some strength training, just looking fora place to start.

I think Beth is our baby.

Beth...who announced one day with some surprise that she isn't actually 40 yet because she thought she was. :smile:

I didn't have a problem turning 40 or any age since then. The birthday that I didn't like was 31. I was okay with 30, but once I turned 31 I was "in my 30's" not just 30. Didn't have the same issue with 41. So far my 40's have been WAY better than my 30's.

Romy, thumbholes and chocolate also work for me. Still trying to figure out where I can find chocolate covered cashews.
  • joedfro
    joedfro Posts: 270
    Options
    I actually hit the age wall at 28...

Today was intervals:

5:00 warm up cool down @ 10:28
    6 sets of 3:00 @ 8:00, 2:00 recovery @ 10:28

covered 4.36 miles average of 9:22...feeling great and the weather was terrific

still looking for a good strength program for cross training
  • romyhorse
    Options
    You could try weight lifting, it won't make you big, you need to eat a big surplus and lift really heavy for that to happen. There are lots of beginner's weight lifting programs out there. My husband lifts heavy but because he doesn't eat huge quantities he just looks athletic.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    My wife got 2nd place overall female today while I got 3rd place overall male today:

13176382143_91edb8460d.jpg

Picture links not working - oh well, I give up!!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    Congrats Tim!

You need [ img ] at the beginning too and I want to say your / is the wrong way in the closing one.

I just ran 9 miles, which is my second longest run ever. It took me 1:59:29. I used Endomondo & my Garmin - shut Endomondo off when it told me I was at 9 miles then ran another 0.06 miles until Garmin said I was at 9 miles. I timed it to end a mile from home so I could get in a good walk afterward. The roads were actually pretty clear (except a little spot on my warm-up walk) and that felt amazing. There were spots where the wind was awfully cold but the sun was out so that made up for it.
  • romyhorse
    Options
    Congratulations to you and your wife Tim. Looks like you got lots of goodies to take home.

And well done on a great run Laura! Sounds like it went really well.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    It was the slash in the closing img
  • likitisplit
    Options

They are running at school to raise money for Sport Relief and have to run for 35 minutes, she was the only one in her year to run the full 35 minutes. Her brother also ran the full 35 minutes without stopping. So proud of them, they wouldn't have been able to do that a year ago.

So proud of YOU
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Congratulation Tim and your wife! Nice race!

Congratulations Laura on your 9 mile run!

Congratulations Romy on raising two great kids! Just a warning about weigh and your girl. My little sister Jenni (20 years younger than me) came back from school one day at about age 11 in tears because some of the girls were teasing her because she weighed more than they were and was "fat". Jenni had not an ounce of excess fat on her, but she was (still is) very athletic. She played elite football (soccer) from age 6 and on and eventually got a college scholarship for it. She truly was the example of "muscle weighs more than fat". She looked like the other girls, although not spindly, but was faster and stronger, and weighed more. It took a bit to get it through her head that she was not fat whatsoever, but she did finally get it.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    Great photo Tim!

Romy it's fantastic that you're raising your kids to be healthy & strong!

I synced my Garmin and one thing I'm really happy about is the fastest mile in my run was my 9th mile (12:47), and my 2nd fastest was my 8th mile (13:10). Average was 13:16.
  • timeasterday
    Options
    It was the slash in the closing img

Ooops - thanks! Wasn't thinking too clearly after yesterday's beerfest.

With the heavy rain and my hangover, I don't think I'll be doing my long run today.
  • timeasterday
    Options
    Great photo Tim!

Romy it's fantastic that you're raising your kids to be healthy & strong!

I synced my Garmin and one thing I'm really happy about is the fastest mile in my run was my 9th mile (12:47), and my 2nd fastest was my 8th mile (13:10). Average was 13:16.

Great run Laura!!
  • madmiss
    madmiss Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Have friends in town which means copious amounts of beer and food so today was a nice 5 miler yay! Longest I've gone this month as I've been building my base back up. St pattys in savannah is also off the charts - so thankfully I volunteered to drive last night and no hangover! Yay! Congrats Tim and everyone else doing so well!

Laura - make yor own cashew chocolate ness - it would be better for you anyways ;)

So proud of our little group here. Love hearing all about your triumphs and great family values and everyone's ups and downs alike - such character building we all get every day. What a wonderful way that we all live!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    Have friends in town which means copious amounts of beer and food so today was a nice 5 miler yay! Longest I've gone this month as I've been building my base back up. St pattys in savannah is also off the charts - so thankfully I volunteered to drive last night and no hangover! Yay! Congrats Tim and everyone else doing so well!

Laura - make yor own cashew chocolate ness - it would be better for you anyways ;)

So proud of our little group here. Love hearing all about your triumphs and great family values and everyone's ups and downs alike - such character building we all get every day. What a wonderful way that we all live!

Found them at Walgreens!

This is an awesome group. I really look forward to reading everybody's updates.
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I found dark chocolate covered craisins! Yum! I have instructed my husband that he must hide them, and only give them to me if I beg. I could eat the whole bag!Yum!Yum!Yum!

Romy- I am just bursting with happiness over your experience with your daughter (and your son). (And yes! Chocolate and thumbholes motivate me too!) It is so wonderful!

Congrats Tim! To you and your wife! :-)

Glad you are getting back to your base, madmiss! :-)

Nice workout, Joe! You make me really feel like a slacker!

Bts! Way to "be the hill"! LOL! That's what my running group and did on way back down during our run last week. So much fun! Endorphins are magic.

I was a slug today. I think I may even call into work tomorrow. Yesterday was fun until it ended in puke. It was the annual Troop 13 downhill ski trip. We had the best time! But two of the boys (including one of my own) started getting sick around 9pm. We had to pull over a few times during the hour long ride home in the car. Skiing was so much easier for me this year. More exhilaration down hills! But I think I over did it. Or I'm fighting the flu. Not sure which. So I took a lesson from my dog, and found a patch of sun to lie in on the rug and I actually took a nap! No joke. The dog looked worried and alarmed at my odd behavior. He nuzzled me and then sat by me on alert until finally he gave in and had a little nap too. No long run today. I feel guilty, sort of...but I just don't have it in me today. I don't' feel like the "baby" of anything! I feel old and crotchety today! LOL!