Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    A personal best today: I ran 5K in under 38 minutes (37:48)!! Sometimes I feel as if I'm spinning my wheels but days like today show me that I am making progress.
    I don't expect to do this every run but, from experience, once it happens it will occasionally happen again and....eventually....it becomes more the norm and finally it is the norm. :happy:

Great job!! Those kind of runs are awesome, aren't they? You are making great progress!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Great job!! Those kind of runs are awesome, aren't they? You are making great progress!

Thank you! This group is a great inspiration to keep at it. I see you all as "where I'll be one day". Runs like yesterday are special and keep me fuelled to keep on going.
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    10k run in 1:01:43

felt rotten since. I have felt nauseous all day since, and had cramps earlier too. Pretty sure i didnt rehydrate soon enough/enough and have been drinking water constantly since

I was the same after my last 5k, it was a warm day and I think I was dehydrated too. Took me a couple of days to get over it.

Yesterday I ran 6k for the first time in ages, after 2k I really wanted to head home but I'm stubborn and was determined to run the full 6k. I kept telling myself to relax and slow down and I actually enjoyed the last 4km. And even though I kept telling myself to slow down my splits were faster than usual, I'm obviously trying too hard! Was sore when I got home but my husband had a bath run for me and I had a couple of ibuprofen and felt fine today.
  • madmiss
    madmiss Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Just then usual 3 Monday and 3 yesterday. Of course I'm now ravenously hungry and could pretty much eat everything in site, like I did yesterday! Argh. I'm never hungry until the day after a run then I'm like an insatiable beast! ;(

Great job plex! Everyone's getting back out there!
  • AlbionOakley
    AlbionOakley Posts: 169 Member
    Options

felt rotten since. I have felt nauseous all day since, and had cramps earlier too. Pretty sure i didnt rehydrate soon enough/enough and have been drinking water constantly since

I was the same after my last 5k, it was a warm day and I think I was dehydrated too. Took me a couple of days to get over it.

Yesterday I ran 6k for the first time in ages, after 2k I really wanted to head home but I'm stubborn and was determined to run the full 6k. I kept telling myself to relax and slow down and I actually enjoyed the last 4km. And even though I kept telling myself to slow down my splits were faster than usual, I'm obviously trying too hard! Was sore when I got home but my husband had a bath run for me and I had a couple of ibuprofen and felt fine today.

Still feel crap! Nausea is slightly better though
  • romyhorse
    Options
    [rant]
    A couple of weeks ago I had been out for a run and was walking the last km home to cool down. A cyclist went past and shouted at me to keep on running, I just smiled and kept on walking. We were going up a hill and he started shouting encouragement at himself, it was quite funny, and I took his comment in the manner it was intended. Tonight I was out for a run. I did a detour to drop my daughter off at Guides and then ran for 1km to warm up, then walked to my usual starting point. A fellow runner ran past as I was walking and I didn't catch exactly what he said but it was along the lines of, can you not run any further? I was a bit taken aback!
    [/rant]
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Got home late from work (and grocery shopping) but I went for a run anyway:

4-23-14_zps51fdf1dd.jpg
  • aliciadalicia
    aliciadalicia Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Great times to everyone!

I am that way too, madmiss!!!

Romyhorse, I am sorry those people were rude! That happened to me when I was trying to start to run on my own a long time ago. I actually needed the push though. Nowadays, no one says that when I walk after a run so I either must look so sweaty or have my headphones in and could care less ;)

I cross-trained in the pool today. 1km under 32 min. I haven't been to the pool for 2 months! It felt good! Hopefully I'll shave the time down this month.

Any cross-training workouts planned?
  • aliciadalicia
    aliciadalicia Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    AlbionOakley,

Take my words with a grain of salt (pun intended! ha) since this may not be your issue, but I heard some miserable feeling like headaches can be caused by not replacing enough sodium and potassium.

I'm a heavy sweater and tend to lose sodium and potassium easily (to the point of going to the hospital one time), so now I take care to consume some salt and dried fruit (potassium). I'm starting to make myself an electrolyte drink too. Since doing these things I don't have anymore horrible headaches, dizziness, and nausea from running.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    [rant]
    A couple of weeks ago I had been out for a run and was walking the last km home to cool down. A cyclist went past and shouted at me to keep on running, I just smiled and kept on walking. We were going up a hill and he started shouting encouragement at himself, it was quite funny, and I took his comment in the manner it was intended. Tonight I was out for a run. I did a detour to drop my daughter off at Guides and then ran for 1km to warm up, then walked to my usual starting point. A fellow runner ran past as I was walking and I didn't catch exactly what he said but it was along the lines of, can you not run any further? I was a bit taken aback!
    [/rant]

I'm hoping he was actually directing the comment at himself. Totally inappropriate toward you. Though, to this day, I'm pretty sure theRe was a group of people laughing at one of my get ups during my long runs last year.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    AlbionOakley,

Take my words with a grain of salt (pun intended! ha) since this may not be your issue, but I heard some miserable feeling like headaches can be caused by not replacing enough sodium and potassium.

I'm a heavy sweater and tend to lose sodium and potassium easily (to the point of going to the hospital one time), so now I take care to consume some salt and dried fruit (potassium). I'm starting to make myself an electrolyte drink too. Since doing these things I don't have anymore horrible headaches, dizziness, and nausea from running.

Me too. Also less sluggish.
  • romyhorse
    Options
    So, I've been using Runtastic ever since I started running but I've been getting increasingly frustrated with it. Every time there is a big update it crashes constantly for weeks before they get all the bugs sorted. There was an update a few weeks ago and it has been practically unusable, it is finally starting to record my runs again but the interface has been updated and I don't like it, I find it really difficult to use. So I downloaded Endomondo to try it out. I ran along one of my regular routes to see how the distance measured up. The 1km point was about 150m shorter than with Runtastic and the 2km point about 300m shorter. I knew they wouldn't be exactly the same and didn't think too much about it till I looked at my splits, Endomondo had me running 1 minute per km faster!! I really need a Garmin, lol!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Tim, that's a wonderful tribute to your friend's father-in-law.

A personal best today: I ran 5K in under 38 minutes (37:48)!! Sometimes I feel as if I'm spinning my wheels but days like today show me that I am making progress.
    I don't expect to do this every run but, from experience, once it happens it will occasionally happen again and....eventually....it becomes more the norm and finally it is the norm. :happy:

My run times haven't really changed but my race times are dropping. I know you arent a racer and I have mad respect for your commitment in the face of that. But if you ever need to see an improvement, commit to getting up early on a Saturday.
  • likitisplit
    Options

Replace your electrolytes too. You know when they say that people don't really need sports drinks? They're not talking about us. Especially on warmer days. Especially before races.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Yep, the warmer weather is reminding me to drink more fluids. Had a headache after yesterday's run. I'm not quite used to running with temps in the 80's yet. This week has been hard after last weekend's half marathon. My legs are still a bit tired. But I managed 3 decent workouts so far:
    Tue: 5 miles moderate pace
    Wed: 3 miles easy pace
    Thu: 5 miles total (4.3 easy pace + hill repeats)

Thankfully today is a rest day and then it's 3 miles on Saturday and 8 miles on Sunday.
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Everyone is doing so well!!

Yesterday I combined my run with a errand I need to do, so I ran to the local CVS and back. I really need to find my fanny pack and my small backpack to help with my errands when I do this, as carrying the plastic bag in one hand or the other, on the way back, made me feel unbalanced.

I've got my long run today, although it will just be the same 10k for the third week in a row. The longest I've ever run at this point has been 7 miles, which I've only done a couple of times. This month though is an increase of the miles per week rather than the long run itself. So far this month it's been 19, 19, 20.5, and now 22 miles/week. Next week will be a decrease in miles, to take a break, and then I'm hoping to start increasing my long run distance.
  • AlbionOakley
    AlbionOakley Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    AlbionOakley,

Me too. Also less sluggish.

Thankyou both for your advice . I have bought some sport drinks from the supermarket today and will instigate a pre-run banana as these are high in potassium!
  • madmiss
    madmiss Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    to the OP. if you see little white flecks or feel grit on your skin (usually your face) you are a salty sweater :) I am, but only after a long run...

Yesterday I finally did 4 miles again YAY! I was happy to be doing it and was very mellow... my mind went to its happy place where all is well. I tend to run a lot differently when I forget my garmin - I base it solely on feel, makes for a better run for me I think. Tonight is a photo shoot for a fancy gala, so I will be getting my workout herding people and squatting for a few hours :) Then it's back to a long run this weekend and some more photoshoots!
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I loved reading about your updates!

I have 1 month and 1 day until my first 10K. YIKES! I am definitely a "5K girl" so I am terrified but excited.

I got a Garmin Forerunner 110 and used it for my easy 2 mile run on Tuesday and my 3 mile race pace run last night. I love it but I still carry my iPhone for music (I used to use Runkeeper too). I need to find my old Nano and just clip it to myself instead of carrying that big phone. My legs were totally shot on my 3 mile run last night. I went HARD at Spinning the night before. So hard that I had to pull over on my way home from the gym. :( I need to learn to take my crosstraining days down a few notches to keep my legs fresh and strong!

Tonight I have some weight training and tomorrow is a company softball tournament (hopefully I can just hide in the outfield! I'm awful!). Sunday is my 4 mile "long run". I haven't run 4 miles straight since last summer I think, so hopefully it will be okay. I plan on taking it slow and steady.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    [rant]
    [/rant]

That's awful! Fellow Runners are usually so much more courteous! Sorry you ran into a bad one.
    Hope the rest of your run was great.