Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    My run times haven't really changed but my race times are dropping. I know you arent a racer and I have mad respect for your commitment in the face of that. But if you ever need to see an improvement, commit to getting up early on a Saturday.

Varda, I'm thinking more and more of entering a race. Haven't done it yet but am eyeing the races around me. I may surprise you (and myself) one day by actually entering one. :laugh: I think the day may be getting closer.
  • PaytraB
    Options
    Yesterday I combined my run with a errand I need to do, so I ran to the local CVS and back. I really need to find my fanny pack and my small backpack to help with my errands when I do this, as carrying the plastic bag in one hand or the other, on the way back, made me feel unbalanced.

I think this is great! I've thought about combining a small errand with a run but the plastic bag/unbalanced & "backpack is cumbersome/heavy...can I run with one" ideas stopped me. You may have given me the push to try this one day soon.
  • PaytraB
    Options
    to the OP. if you see little white flecks or feel grit on your skin (usually your face) you are a salty sweater :) I am, but only after a long run...

This is interesting. I often notice a gritty face after my run but thought it was dust from the gravel trails. I even commented to my husband, more than once, that I'm surprised at how much dust settles on my face when running.
    I'll keep this information in mind. Thank you!
  • PaytraB
    Options
    Yesterday's run was planned to be along my hilly route. I got about 3/4 of the way up the hill when I realized that if I wanted to run a complete 5K without walking, I'd better go a more level route. My legs didn't want to co-operate & complained the whole time. So, I turned around, ran through a park to the river, then along the river front and completed the 5K without too much complaining from my legs. I felt more tired afterwards, though, than I normally do. Oh well, a good run but not a great one.

I'm slowly adding more miles to my week. So far, I can run longer on the weekends but haven't during the week.
    I'm following the 10K Runner program for these longer runs & adding an additional Run Session to the planned workout to get those extra miles in. If I follow the program, I run approx 5K as normal, only the run is broken up with a walk session. I'm currently in Week 12 of the program.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    [rant]
    A couple of weeks ago I had been out for a run and was walking the last km home to cool down. A cyclist went past and shouted at me to keep on running, I just smiled and kept on walking. We were going up a hill and he started shouting encouragement at himself, it was quite funny, and I took his comment in the manner it was intended. Tonight I was out for a run. I did a detour to drop my daughter off at Guides and then ran for 1km to warm up, then walked to my usual starting point. A fellow runner ran past as I was walking and I didn't catch exactly what he said but it was along the lines of, can you not run any further? I was a bit taken aback!
    [/rant]

I'm hoping he was actually directing the comment at himself. Totally inappropriate toward you. Though, to this day, I'm pretty sure theRe was a group of people laughing at one of my get ups during my long runs last year.

Gotta just do your own thing and don't worry about what other people think.

If people weren't laughing at my get up during my last 5k, they should have been!

b08d3a21-a708-4714-9ebf-62482d796ac5_zpsafd405b1.jpg

My husband bought me the tights kind of as a joke. He never expected me to actually wear them in public! The look on his face was priceless! (It's still hard for me to believe I'm wearing small tights and the medium t-shirt swallows me!)
    :bigsmile:
  • zanne54
    zanne54 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Hi all you runners!

Sorry I've been AWOL - I'm getting married on May 3rd so have been busier than usual. (Understatement)

I'm still working my way through the 10K app in the hopes that I'll eventually be able to run without the walking segments. I completed W13D1 last Saturday. And I haven't run since! I didn't want to run 2 days in a row (it's still really hard on my body), so I went swimming last Sunday, for the first time in months. As I'll be triathloning this summer, I need to get that training started. So, I thought I'd do an "easy" swim to set a baseline. So then I went and swam 58:30 (I was a minute late for the hour long lane swim time) and a distance of 2,450 metres. Ya, so much for "easy". Though most of the swim I did breaststroke as I'm not in good enough shape for freestyle all the way (yet).

And then Monday & Tuesday? SO TIRED. Coincidence from the run & swim? Possibly. Or it could be that allergy season has started - it usually knocks me on my butt as my body is fighting off the allergens. I felt like such a slug going home to bed at 5:30 pm. I hate missing workout days! Because of that, I missed my planned run for Tuesday night - I have signed up for my first ever trail run tomorrow (9K), and I wanted to make sure I was fresh for it. I hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    [rant]
    A couple of weeks ago I had been out for a run and was walking the last km home to cool down. A cyclist went past and shouted at me to keep on running, I just smiled and kept on walking. We were going up a hill and he started shouting encouragement at himself, it was quite funny, and I took his comment in the manner it was intended. Tonight I was out for a run. I did a detour to drop my daughter off at Guides and then ran for 1km to warm up, then walked to my usual starting point. A fellow runner ran past as I was walking and I didn't catch exactly what he said but it was along the lines of, can you not run any further? I was a bit taken aback!
    [/rant]

I'm hoping he was actually directing the comment at himself. Totally inappropriate toward you. Though, to this day, I'm pretty sure theRe was a group of people laughing at one of my get ups during my long runs last year.

Gotta just do your own thing and don't worry about what other people think.

If people weren't laughing at my get up during my last 5k, they should have been!

b08d3a21-a708-4714-9ebf-62482d796ac5_zpsafd405b1.jpg

My husband bought me the tights kind of as a joke. He never expected me to actually wear them in public! The look on his face was priceless! (It's still hard for me to believe I'm wearing small tights and the medium t-shirt swallows me!)
    :bigsmile:

Wicked healthy is the right word for it.
  • PaytraB
    Options
    Ceci, you look great! That's a wonderful, healthy looking photo!
  • AlbionOakley
    AlbionOakley Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Fun run course 7k 42:54

My record is 42:08, but today I ate a banana and went straight out, remembering to take a drink. The run felt great, didn't push myself too hard. There is a steep hill which normally kills me but not today!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Fun run course 7k 42:54

My record is 42:08, but today I ate a banana and went straight out, remembering to take a drink. The run felt great, didn't push myself too hard. There is a steep hill which normally kills me but not today!

Super! I'm trying to convince myself that Gatorade isn't optional. Why is it so hard to take one second to prepare correctly?
  • madmiss
    madmiss Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Varda, I love your tights!!!'

Big news for me,... It's taken 9 months 4 days and approximately 419 miles of running but I finally achieved a sub 10 minute mile!!!!
    9.56!!!! I looked down wt my watch and went holy &$?& I'm doing a 9:20 at one point and decided I was going to keep it going as fast as I could. So so so proud of myself today ;)
  • tedsmama
    tedsmama Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! Been watching this group for a few weeks and finally decided to stop being a creeper and introduce myself! I started C25K on January 15th and finished March 23rd. I ran my first 5K outside (not a race) the 25th of March and I'm sure the folks who witnessed me whooping and high fiving myself are still talking about the crazy, sweaty, wheezing lady in the parking lot of the park. Since then I've been running 4-5 times a week and I still can't believe that I love it. The last time I ran a mile was highschool P.E. class in 1991!!
    I have my first competitive 5K next Sunday and Mudfactor in June which I am running as part of a team with my sister and two of my brothers. I am beyond excited!

Anyway, that's about it. I really enjoy reading everyone's posts and have learned loads from them. It's great to see a group that is so encouraging to each other and neat to read about everyone's progress and personal goals!!

Stephanie :flowerforyou:
  • PaytraB
    Options
    Big news for me,... It's taken 9 months 4 days and approximately 419 miles of running but I finally achieved a sub 10 minute mile!!!!
    9.56!!!! I looked down wt my watch and went holy &$?& I'm doing a 9:20 at one point and decided I was going to keep it going as fast as I could. So so so proud of myself today ;)

Whoot! That's great news, Madmiss! Congratulations on the terrific time! This is wonderful!
  • PaytraB
    Options
    Welcome, Stephanie! Glad you found this group. It's very supportive and encouraging.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options

Great job!! That's making progress!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Varda, I love your tights!!!'

Happy for you!

I did a random 5k today. 33:50, which included some puking around mile 2.

Eta- my magnificent pant do not have a drawstring, so I struggled with them for the first half mile.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Hello everyone! Been watching this group for a few weeks and finally decided to stop being a creeper and introduce myself! I started C25K on January 15th and finished March 23rd. I ran my first 5K outside (not a race) the 25th of March and I'm sure the folks who witnessed me whooping and high fiving myself are still talking about the crazy, sweaty, wheezing lady in the parking lot of the park. Since then I've been running 4-5 times a week and I still can't believe that I love it. The last time I ran a mile was highschool P.E. class in 1991!!
    I have my first competitive 5K next Sunday and Mudfactor in June which I am running as part of a team with my sister and two of my brothers. I am beyond excited!

Anyway, that's about it. I really enjoy reading everyone's posts and have learned loads from them. It's great to see a group that is so encouraging to each other and neat to read about everyone's progress and personal goals!!

Stephanie :flowerforyou:

Welcome in. Totally understand your joy at running a 5k. It's amazing, isn't it? I needed the reminder today, so thanks!!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Sorry I haven't been here much. Vision is still difficult at times after my surgery (I'm about halfway through the expected adjustment period) and after staring at the computer screen all day at work I try to catch up on my news feed but don't always do great catching up with my groups. Sounds like everybody is doing awesome, and welcome to Stephanie!

Since my surgery 3 weeks ago I've had 1 awesome run and a bunch of fairly awful ones. I just finished 11 brutal miles, but it's a new distance for me so I'm happy about that. I started cramping in the 3rd mile and had a small dizzy spell in the 9th so I walked a couple 10ths of a mile until I was ready to jog again. My Garmin is charging (got the "battery low" signal" at 10.2 miles) but the run took 2:26.
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Sorry I haven't been here much. Vision is still difficult at times after my surgery (I'm about halfway through the expected adjustment period) and after staring at the computer screen all day at work I try to catch up on my news feed but don't always do great catching up with my groups. Sounds like everybody is doing awesome, and welcome to Stephanie!

Since my surgery 3 weeks ago I've had 1 awesome run and a bunch of fairly awful ones. I just finished 11 brutal miles, but it's a new distance for me so I'm happy about that. I started cramping in the 3rd mile and had a small dizzy spell in the 9th so I walked a couple 10ths of a mile until I was ready to jog again. My Garmin is charging (got the "battery low" signal" at 10.2 miles) but the run took 2:26.

Really terrific hanging on and getting it done!

I didn't do my long run yesterday and won't get it done this weekend for various reasons, but I will get 11 miles in during the Friday to Sunday period. I've done 7.5 miles of it so far. So I will be up to 22 miles this week as planned.

I also just signed up for a virtual half marathon on June 1st. I probably will end up walking half of it, but I'll get it done and it will give me an idea of what I'm aiming for this Fall.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options

Really terrific hanging on and getting it done!

I didn't do my long run yesterday and won't get it done this weekend for various reasons, but I will get 11 miles in during the Friday to Sunday period. I've done 7.5 miles of it so far. So I will be up to 22 miles this week as planned.

I also just signed up for a virtual half marathon on June 1st. I probably will end up walking half of it, but I'll get it done and it will give me an idea of what I'm aiming for this Fall.

Way to get in your planned mileage however you can. Congrats on signing up for the virtual HM!

This is not only my longest run ever, it's also my first run over 5 miles in the last 4 weeks - 4 weeks ago today I ran 10 miles. So I'm going to stop feeling bad now about how much it sucked.