Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• zanne54
    zanne54 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    So, I ran most of my 9.5K trail race! It was raining when I got there, but cleared up for the start, which was awesome! I learned that I need to buy trail shoes. It took me 1:07:10 to complete, but there were MANY sections that were so slippery, that I had to slow down for safety, not for tired. Including one massive slip & slide hill at the end of an out and back portion. Traffic both ways. THAT was a total ****show! Mud mud mud mud mud, splat (tho I didn't fall). It took me a long time to navigate up & down, as I went off the path onto the side of a steep hill and pulled myself up & down with the aid of any sapling I could grab on to!

I also learned that trail running = HILLS. Big, tiring hills going up and up and up again. And then down (which can be harder than going up). I took it a bit easy, overall, for a couple of reasons - I didn't know what to expect and wanted to make sure I didn't come out too hard and bonk before it was over, and most importantly - so I didn't hurt myself/bruise myself somewhere visible considering I'm getting married next Saturday. On my next trail run (and there will be one), all bets are OFF!

Now excuse me while I go look for other races I can sign up for!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    So, I ran most of my 9.5K trail race! It was raining when I got there, but cleared up for the start, which was awesome! I learned that I need to buy trail shoes. It took me 1:07:10 to complete, but there were MANY sections that were so slippery, that I had to slow down for safety, not for tired. Including one massive slip & slide hill at the end of an out and back portion. Traffic both ways. THAT was a total ****show! Mud mud mud mud mud, splat (tho I didn't fall). It took me a long time to navigate up & down, as I went off the path onto the side of a steep hill and pulled myself up & down with the aid of any sapling I could grab on to!

I also learned that trail running = HILLS. Big, tiring hills going up and up and up again. And then down (which can be harder than going up). I took it a bit easy, overall, for a couple of reasons - I didn't know what to expect and wanted to make sure I didn't come out too hard and bonk before it was over, and most importantly - so I didn't hurt myself/bruise myself somewhere visible considering I'm getting married next Saturday. On my next trail run (and there will be one), all bets are OFF!

Now excuse me while I go look for other races I can sign up for!

Sounds amazing! Running down a muddy hill sounds terrifying and exhilarating all at once. Congrats on your upcoming wedding, and not breaking your body prior to the ceremony. :)
  • madmiss
    madmiss Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Everyone's doing so great! Congrats Zane and Laura! I'm jealous of everyone's long runs I haven't been able to get up early enough to do one before the heat!
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Suzanne nice job on the trail race, sounds like fun! I love trail races and have a few more coming up this year.

Today was a nice 8-mile long run. Yesterday was a short 3-mile easy run. This coming week is pretty much a duplicate of last week except my long run will be 9 miles. Slow and steady buildup!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Suzanne, congratulations on your upcoming wedding!
    Your trail race sounds wonderful, if a bit muddy and slippery.

Today is the day of the Vancouver Sun Run, a 10K race through the city. In honor of that, I went out to cover 10K and try to run as much of it as possible. I wasn't in the race but ran around my neighbourhood.
    I took the hilliest route I'm familiar with and ran 8.6K of a total 10K distance. The hills slowed my pace a bit and, in total, I ran for 70 minutes (30+25+15); the entire distance took me 85 minutes to complete.
    I think I'm going to try to run this route more often. It's a constant up & down hilly route, with the last 1/4 being mainly flat (just the tiniest of inclines).

Question: in running terms, was this my "long run" since it's a longer distance than I normally run or was it an "interval training" run since I ran in 3 intervals & not straight through?
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! Been watching this group for a few weeks and finally decided to stop being a creeper and introduce myself! I started C25K on January 15th and finished March 23rd. I ran my first 5K outside (not a race) the 25th of March and I'm sure the folks who witnessed me whooping and high fiving myself are still talking about the crazy, sweaty, wheezing lady in the parking lot of the park. Since then I've been running 4-5 times a week and I still can't believe that I love it. The last time I ran a mile was highschool P.E. class in 1991!!
    I have my first competitive 5K next Sunday and Mudfactor in June which I am running as part of a team with my sister and two of my brothers. I am beyond excited!

Anyway, that's about it. I really enjoy reading everyone's posts and have learned loads from them. It's great to see a group that is so encouraging to each other and neat to read about everyone's progress and personal goals!!

Stephanie :flowerforyou:

Welcome Stephanie!

Suzanne, great race! Congratulations about the race and about the wedding!! Exciting times!

Petra, sounds like a long run to me. :)

I didn't get my long run in, but ran 12 miles this weekend, in three runs Friday evening through Sunday morning. This brings my weekly (Mon to Sun) total up to 23 miles and 77 miles so far this month. I have never run this much! I hope that I can continue it in May despite all the traveling I have planned.
  • AlbionOakley
    AlbionOakley Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    pushed the pace on the treadmill today and did 4k in 23:06
  • PaytraB
    Options
    Thanks, Donna!
    So, a "long run" is all about distance with no worries about a walk break?
    How is "interval training" defined? Is it various speeds and/or inclines with walking breaks?

That's a great pace, AlbionOakley! Way to go!
  • timeasterday
    Options
    How is "interval training" defined? Is it various speeds and/or inclines with walking breaks?

I would not worry about a walk break during a longer run. Still a long run in my opinion.

Classic interval training is typically some sort of defined distance at a defined pace repeated "x" number of times. What you do in between is up to you. Sometimes at track workouts we jog one lap around the track in between speed intervals. Sometimes we walk 100-200m. If not at a track you can run fast intervals with 1-2 minutes walk in between, or longer (whatever it takes for you to feel ready for another interval).
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    Thanks, Donna!

That's a great pace, AlbionOakley! Way to go!

My trainer tells me I can break up my long run when I need to. Easter I broke up my 9 miles into a 5 mile run & a 4 mile run that were actually several hours apart.
  • timeasterday
    Options
    My trainer tells me I can break up my long run when I need to. Easter I broke up my 9 miles into a 5 mile run & a 4 mile run that were actually several hours apart.

With such a long time between runs you are missing the benefit of one continuous long run. But it really depends on what you are training for. There are certain physiological things that start to happen at around 90 minutes of continuous running. Those are the things you need to train your body to handle for 15K, 10-mile, half marathons, etc.

I think breaking up a long run with a 5-15 minute walk break is fine. Heck, yesterday I stopped in the middle of my 8-mile run for a few minutes after running up a huge hill. Sometime you gotta let your heart rate calm down a bit before moving on.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Wicked healthy is the right word for it.
    Ceci, you look great! That's a wonderful, healthy looking photo!

Thanks!

zanne- makes me want to go run a trail right now! Congrats on the wedding!

Welcome to the newbies and to everyone else- even though I'm not running much lately, I love keeping up with everyone!

Yesterday, my dh was cooking dinner and told me it would be ready in 20, so I ran a mile. 20:12 with wu & cd. perfect timing! My pace for the mile was 9:29!
  • joedfro
    joedfro Posts: 270
    Options
    Sorry...been terribly busy, but still try to read and catch up when I can..

Everyone seems to be picking up the pace and I do like the comments and likes in the feeds.

was going to do a half marathon on May 10th, however, I have to be out of town for the kids now..so while I try to find another one, I have signed up for my third 5k on June 28...so back to 5K training for me...

I started back to running in the mornings last week, and find it is much easier to get my runs in when I get up real early. I also have went to running 5 days a week now..training plan has me at 4 days, but on the other day, I just run for 20-40 minutes, whatever feels comfortable.

If anyone is using Gip.is for training plans, I wouldn't mind seeing other training plans for comparison... this one I started for the next 5K in june shows a target time of 23:07, which is considerably faster than the one I just completed, so I am not so sure that goal time is attainable.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options

With such a long time between runs you are missing the benefit of one continuous long run. But it really depends on what you are training for. There are certain physiological things that start to happen at around 90 minutes of continuous running. Those are the things you need to train your body to handle for 15K, 10-mile, half marathons, etc.

I think breaking up a long run with a 5-15 minute walk break is fine. Heck, yesterday I stopped in the middle of my 8-mile run for a few minutes after running up a huge hill. Sometime you gotta let your heart rate calm down a bit before moving on.

I don't break up most of my long runs, but it's better to get in a 4 mile & a 5 mile run separated by a few hours than just one of them when that's all I have time for. :smile:
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Hit the hills/trails behind my place yesterday arvo in the hope of finding some mud after the rain in Perth for the last two days. I wanted to give my shoes a test in mud before Stampede(Mud/Obstacle run) this weekend. Unfortunately very little mud :( Walked a bit more of the starting hill than I would have liked, but otherwise a good run. Had a few stops where I attempted to check my heart rate, but I can't count as fast as it was beating :Sigh:.
    Part way into the run I figured I should get my shoes wet and see what they feel like after a soaking as I had been avoiding the puddles. Ran straight through a puddle and had instant flashbacks to being a kid. After that I hit every puddle I came across, including taking a track more likely to have puddles at a cross roads :D
    7km (inlcuding warmup/cooldown walks) averaging out to about 8min/km.
  • AlbionOakley
    AlbionOakley Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Fun run course 43:18. Ran it very easy and relaxed, will run harder after the hill tomorrow
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I've been doing short(ish) bike rides with a co-worker who is just getting started with an exercise routine. Yesterday, she asked if I would run with her. (Of course!)

I picked an intervals run on my Rundouble app, run 1 minute, walk 2 minutes. She ran about 4 of the run intervals and walked the rest. After I went back and looked at my pace, I figured I was running too fast. I went to her this morning and apologized for that. I am encouraging her to start with C25k and to alternate biking and running days. I will probably go through the C25k with her, if I can make myself slow down. She is doing a great job so far and I don't want her to get discouraged. It has been pretty easy for me to slow down on the bike (just shift into a lower gear and spin!)

It is so weird for me to the be that fit friend who is encouraging someone else to get moving! (2 other co-workers, a sister-in-law, a niece and at least one other friend are now making an effort to move more because I move so much!)
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I've been doing short(ish) bike rides with a co-worker who is just getting started with an exercise routine. Yesterday, she asked if I would run with her. (Of course!)

I picked an intervals run on my Rundouble app, run 1 minute, walk 2 minutes. She ran about 4 of the run intervals and walked the rest. After I went back and looked at my pace, I figured I was running too fast. I went to her this morning and apologized for that. I am encouraging her to start with C25k and to alternate biking and running days. I will probably go through the C25k with her, if I can make myself slow down. She is doing a great job so far and I don't want her to get discouraged. It has been pretty easy for me to slow down on the bike (just shift into a lower gear and spin!)

It is so weird for me to the be that fit friend who is encouraging someone else to get moving! (2 other co-workers, a sister-in-law, a niece and at least one other friend are now making an effort to move more because I move so much!)

That is great that you are helping your co-worker! I did c25k with my kids and it is hard to run slow, sometimes I felt like I was jogging on the spot, lol! But they both completed the program and now my son can run faster than me.
  • PaytraB
    Options
    Ceci, that's so great! How nice that you are helping so many others start thinking about fitness.

Romy, I remember when your kids were learning to run. It's terrific that your son is still running. Kudos to him!

I burned my finger badly over the weekend and have had a few days off of work because of it. This morning I used my time to go for a mid-week morning run (a rare & wonderful event in itself). Ran 5K in 38:55 and walked along the riverfront, enjoying the view for the rest of my workout.
    Morning runs are always the best for me. I feel energized afterwards.
  • tedsmama
    tedsmama Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    5 miles on the treadmill this morning at a pretty slow pace. (My longest distance so far.) Was only planning on 3 but I felt like I could keep going so I did. Took me about 1:05 to complete. I've been trying to plan out a training schedule (based off of recommendations I saw on this thread), but I'm finding that my body isn't always diggin the runs that I have planned for the day. Is it ok to just wing it and see how you feel after the first mile or so, or is it important to have a more regimented routine? My ultimate goal at this point is 10 miles, but I really don't care how long it takes me to get there, however I do want to be able to compete in a 10K by the end of summer. Thanks and hope you all are having a great day!!