Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    Nancy - I do a mixed grip on my deadlifts. I don't think it has affected my grip strength (which is still improving with various other exercises I do that might be DB only, for e.g.)

I am sure StrongLift 5 x 5 is a great program....so many people have done it! I haven't, but I know many who have done it and really liked it!

I think if you want to continue improving your strength, mobility, flexibility, then lifting 3 x per week is pretty necessary. 2 times is kinda "maintenance" and 1 x is barely gonna result in much improvement (although it would certainly result in some).

Re: squats from bench-press set-up. DON'T - NOPE. If your gym doesn't have a squat rack or a power rack, then I think you should choose a squat-alternative that doesn't require a BB at all....goblet squats, bowler squats, DB squats, etc.

Thanks ladies. I have been squeezing in at least two lifting session a week, but I also do Cage fitness class that has a lot of Strength Training elements. The class is 45 min. of throwing around a 40 lb. Dummy bag, Bent over rows, Sit ups holding bag above you, and flipping it, and so much more. So I do get strength training in 3 x week, but one session at a fast pace (not quite the same as lifting). I will try mixed grip. I want to avoid having my grip so fatigued that I struggle holding on to other weights for my other exercises.

This is Currently my Schedule:

Monday - Kickboxing

Tuesday- Lifting

Wednesday- Cage Fitness

Thursday- Rest

Friday- Run

Saturday- Lifting

Sunday- Run

(I will some times switch Friday, and Saturday around a little depending on my kiddo...if I do I lift on Friday, and Kickbox on Saturday. I'll either nicks the run completely or throw in a small run on a Tuesday morning, and lift @ night)

I'll checkout other versions of the Squat. Right now I use Smith machine for my Squats.

If you think I need to switch something around I will give it a try. I really have been seeing huge difference in my body by adding the kickboxing, and the cage fitness in the past 2 mos. I don't want to give it up, but I love lifting too so I am open to suggestions.

Thank You ladies!
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    WillLift, I've experienced no change in measurements :grumble:

Are we starting a new challenge?

Beeps, you look incredible in that dress! :love:

I seem to be averaging about 80 g of protein these days. I've been lazy about it and would like to get back to 100+ grams.
  • Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Wow this thread is rocking.
    Runzalot you have a bigger bicep in the last picture, and no sag under your arm!!
    Welcome Emma
    marieann- I am only sometimes able to ask to work in at the rack- sometimes I am just too shy. I do rearrange my workout to do squats when the rack is available.
    I am slowly realizing that the rack is available when I first get to the gym and after 6am it is always full. Since I am getting up at 0 darkhundred to walk my children's mutt, I may as well go the gym early enough to get the squat rack.
    Nancy- I wish I had your calves
    As for workouts, it depends on your goals- unfortunately I like cardio. I didn't see as much progress on 2 lifting days a week- I think I make more progress with 3x a week - both in lifting heavier and liking the changes in my body.

Beeps- you look awesome

Here's my nsv- I now love front squats. I use a step as a seat and push up from sitting and then slowly sit down.It may be cheating but it was on the Internet- so it must be legitimate! ( just kidding- it seems significantly easier)

I eat protein -- there are tasty protein bars- my favorite is Oh Yeah.
    Anybody else have a fave?
  • Pudding1980
    Pudding1980 Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    No workout for me today. It's supposed to be a rest day but I had planned to get in an extra cardio session, and then I had a horrible sleep last night (hacking cough, boy #1 woke me up...) and I had a busy morning (groceries, Costco, Mother's Day tea party at boy #2's nursery school) so I am laying in bed. I had some Doritos for lunch :( Hoping to feel much better tomorrow so I can lift and enjoy the weekend which involves Mother's Day and boy #2's 3rd birthday.

I have never heard of mixed grip for deadlifts but I am going to try that next week; I got up to 65lb yesterday and even with only 8 reps, it was hard to keep my grip.
  • Pmagnanifit
    Options
    Beeps I tried your stepups with no pressure on the bottom foot just swish att he floor and .... I pulled my right glute!
  • Pmagnanifit
    Options
    Pudding rest up and feel better soon.
  • rocky503
    rocky503 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Hi gals
    Great pictures!

I'm in the middle of a two week fitness camp now and sure feeling it the 16 hours! I took measurements before I started and will take them again and a picture or two.

This camp is called "Break thru Camp" and the goal is to take you to the next fitness level. So far just tearing up a lot of muscle and it killed me last night. It hard to explain as it is a unique approach.

Personally I've noted if I don't eat a little something at least before a morning work out I run out of steam once all the glucose is used up. I perform much better and burn more calories with some food in the tank (200 to 300 kcal). Minimally a small slice of toast with almond butter or a hemp berry shake.

I used to not eat until later in morning or mid day but now a days I make a point of eating within an hour of waking up. This works for me as my A1c if very low indicating my blood is generally low.
  • sunshinelively
    sunshinelively Posts: 249 Member
    Options

So I'm still going strong on my self challenge: No weighing, protein at least 75, and lifting heavy first then HIIT.

^^^^ This is a GREAT challenge because:

1. no weighing - this is an "input" - you CONTROL this.
    2. protein at least 75 g - this is an "input" - you CONTROL this.
    3. lifting heavy first, then HIIT - this is an "input" - you CONTROL this.

I LOVE YOUR CHALLENGE. You will ROCK THAT CHALLENGE, FOR SURE!!!!!!!!!!!!

BOOM!

it's tough in the beginning though since you don't lose weight and you don't really change your shape all that much. it takes time. getting used to a lot of protein is harder too....on the digestion.....on your eating preference style....to name a few.

i find i have to be totally committed to the idea that in the long run it will be better for me to have a more muscular body. i can do a fat shred later, after i've built up some muscle. the older you get, the more you lose muscle. if you gain and lose weight multiple times, every time you lose, you lose muscle and fat and gain back fat only. which left me with a high body fat percentage and low muscularity. a set up for a frail old age and weak bones to boot.

it's a psychological game changer. when you're used to calorie restriction and cardio and the scale, it's harder - yet totally necessary - to make the jump to a program that's a lot of work now for a benefit that seems further down the line.
  • runzalot81
    Options
    Pmag, I love Oh Yeah! But my usual grocery store doesn't carry them :grumble: Pure Protein was good and I also like Power Bar but the sugars are high.

Eating high protein has actually been really good for my digestion. I've been poopin' like clockwork :blushing: But since I've been slacking off the protein this week, I've been constipated :grumble: :grumble:
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    runz, I've noticed I've been constipated more. Maybe because it is close to TOM.

101 G protein and only 988 calories !!! I am stuffed at the moment . I roasted a turkey and ate 7 oz breast meat drizzled with some gravy. My carbs are low too so my snack later will be something high carb.

sunshine, YES! it is totally pyschological.

Rocky, I've tried working out on an empty stomach. I couldn't function. My head hurts too bad. I eat a slice pb toast or a yogurt. but today I woke up hungry. I ate oatmeal , toast, and coffee.
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    OK I am finished eating for the night! :laugh: 106 g protein and 1363 calories. I had a cookie. It wasn't as good as it could have been . but the waffle and pb with coffee was awesome. That's what I hate about logging cals. I saw I had enough cals and carbs so I ate a cookie.

take a peek at today's diary and tell me what yall think. Where I could do better or if I am ok. Thanks.
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    We ended up going to a different shelter and there we found Polly.
    She is pretty much the spitting image of Kit, my darling girl who passed away in December. That was definitely not expected! She just came up for a snuggle and a chat straight away.

10omftd.jpg

She's very snugly :heart:

Oh, and I had an NSV while lifting yesterday and today (yeah, I did two days in a row, stupid schedule mess up).

Yesterday I squatted half my bodyweight and this morning I deadlifted 3/4 of my bodyweight - it's slowly going up and that's awesome :bigsmile: Although it also means I may have to buy more weights....

It's my birthday tomorrow (Saturday) :wink: :laugh:
  • sunshinelively
    sunshinelively Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Dnamouse - happy birthday!! And that kitten looks to be so sweet :)

Manic good job on all that protein. I took barbell cowgirls advice too and started strategizing all my eating around protein, ending up with 4 meals a day. Been mixing protein sources up to include vegan sources too.

How did I miss all those great pictures on page 3? Love beeps dress (shows off the guns!)

Have a great day everybody!
  • runzalot81
    Options
    Manic, I'm the same way. I'll be fully satiated, see that I have calories, and eat cookies :grumble:

If I stick to the plan, I'll have 95 grams of protein today.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    runz, I've noticed I've been constipated more. Maybe because it is close to TOM.

I notice definite changes with hormones..... bloat and constipation..... not a good combo! :embarassed:

So I've been back at it this week. Turns out my 'B' workout is HARD. I welcomed back the back squat....talk about DOMS! My butt hurts! lol

Plyometric training yesterday followed by combat today. Bloody freezing weather here so I've been doing it to warm up :ohwell:
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Btw, my protein goal is 122g.... I meet that most days. Check out my diary if you like - no protein shakes in sight! xx
  • girlcalledryan
    girlcalledryan Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I started yesterday, and it was okay. I ended up doing my squats with dumbells because I was honestly too anxious to ask for help learning to use the squat rack. The trainer was using it for someone when I got there so I started at the end of the workout. Fell off the swiss ball trying to do the jacknifes, and by the time I got back to squats, the were using it again.

I thought I was maybe not lifting enough weight, but I am a little sore today. Nothing too bad, just a little ache in my butt. I did drink a bcaa during/after, so maybe that did some good as well.

My fiance will go with me next time to help give me more courage. There is no reason I couldn't have worked my 30 squats between there plan for the day. Just my anxiety.

jo, it is nice to see that you don't use shakes, I am trying to avoid shakes as much as possible, I am for over 100g protien from real foods, so I am glad to see someone else manages. It takes alot of planning. I do have shakes though, for days I fail to plan, or fail to stay on plan.
  • girlcalledryan
    girlcalledryan Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Also, what do you guys recommend for before pics/measurements? It looks like I will be doing that tomorrow morning.
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Pudding, hope you're feeling better today!
    Dnamouse, Polly is just precious :) Happy early birthday!!
    Rzarley, your gym anxiety will wear off with time and practice. I felt awkward and a little bit "in the way" of everyone else when I first started, but trust me, it goes away :)
    Jo, your protein is amazing, especially with no shakes. I don't mind having them, as long as I spice them up with different additions to keep it interesting. Plus I eat a pescetarian diet, so that leaves out a lot of other sources.

I'm finding that I lose control of my diet if (1) I have breakfast, I really do much better if I just skip it; and (2) I have something that I don't know how to log or feel overwhelmed trying to log. I give up, don't log whatever comes after, and end up overeating. Logically, I know this makes no sense. It's something (else) I need to work on.

Didn't rise early enough this morning for the gym, but I'll hop back to it this evening. I'm determined to get my 2/3 for this week :)
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,989 Member
    Options

. i can do a fat shred later, after i've built up some muscle. the older you get, the more you lose muscle. if you gain and lose weight multiple times, every time you lose, you lose muscle and fat and gain back fat only. which left me with a high body fat percentage and low muscularity. a set up for a frail old age and weak bones to boot.

^^^ This is total bro science and you will have ZERO research to back up this position....do whatever you want, for yourself, but I am writing this response to MAKE SURE all the ladies here at NROL4W chat do NOT think there is any SCIENCE behind the 3 sentences you wrote!