Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Manic, hugs for you xx Growing up sucks for everyone I think. My daughter is only 10, but it's starting from what I can see. Some of her friends - woah.
    And awesomeness on the step-ups! :happy:

Samantha, I know what you mean about the way your pants fit being a good indicator. I've been lighter than what I am, but I've never been this small iykwim. I am perfectly happy to weigh a nice healthy weight for my height and just look like I am at least 5kg less :wink: Walking is pretty much my cardio apart from when I decide to put the intervals etc onto the end of the weights sessions.

Pudding, brilliant job on Stage 2! Wait til you do the split squat in B for the first time. Jelly legs :wink: :glasses: :laugh:

Finished a 3A workout this morning. BWM = smashed. 2.29 first time and 2.18 second time round. I may have then spent a short time in the child's pose while my legs stopped shaking :laugh: I remember the first time I did it, I was veeeeerrryyyyy sloooowwww..... Oh! and handstand practice is now up to a 50sec wall supported handstand :bigsmile: (not NROL related, just a personal goal).

I just devoured my lunch in about 2 minutes flat. I think I need some more....
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Manic, I hate them too! But I've found crossover step ups hit my glutes, so I do them. I'll keep praying for your daughter!

Sunshine, you're welcome! I periodically go back a re-read that article and this one:http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html
    When I start getting impatient, I have to reevaluate what I'm doing and why.

Pudding, I loved Stage 2! I've always had trouble keeping my elbows in on push-ups. FSPP is very awkward to start out. You'll get it figured out. If you can hold a plank for 60 secs easily, make it harder by elevating your feet or putting one hand up so you're only using one arm and your legs to support yourself. In Supercharged, they revised the planks- if you can hold it for 45-60 secs, make it harder, not longer. It makes planks interesting for me.

Sam, sometimes I envy some of the tiny cardio queens at the gym- but then I watch them struggle with the 10lb DBs. So while I'd love to be smaller and "skinny", I love being strong and the empowerment that comes with it even more. My dead lifting booty may never be a size two, but I don't need help unloading 50lb sacks of feed either!
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I am 5'5 and don't have a clue what is my weight loss calorie sweet spot . I 've been here for over 2 years and have been yo yo ing. I know cardio and 1000 cals or less will make the scales go down. The weight always comes back on.

I've had 92 g protein today :drinker: my goal is 75 maybe I need to push it up to 90 g. Whatcha think? That will definitely be hard for me to do every day.

Sunshine, yes , we were very close and just alike. We had a special and unique relationship. We argued, we laughed, we fussed, we giggled. We were sarcastic but loved each other deeply. It HURTS. I can only pray she will come back to me soon.
  • jamaicanlady
    jamaicanlady Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat- my BF% is very similar and my "goal" is 22%. However, the bewbs are really shrinking and my ribs barely have any fat on them (to the point that the hubs keeps commenting on it). Thighs and lower belly are still there. I know I won't have the muscle to look like I want to at 22%, but I'm too impatient for a recomp. My plan is to continue cutting until I get to 22% (probably Fall) and then do a slow bulk over the Winter. Then cut again in the Spring.
    However, I also think that if I lose these last 10lbs slowly, I may be surprised at what muscle is left when I get to 22%. So I'm just going to have to see what happens when I get there.
    If you do it right, you might have time to be bulking and putting some muscle and fat back on by the time your wedding gets here?
    This sounds like me! My lower belly is just not budging and I'm definitely too impatient to do a recomp. And my fiance commented on Saturday that I'm losing my butt. I'm so happy that I found someone who is ALMOST in the same boat as me. Makes it a tad bit less scary to cut so low. But I'm still worried nonetheless.

manic, so sorry about your daughter. I totally feel your pain. I hope things work themselves out very soon.
  • marieann82
    marieann82 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Three chiropractor appointments and a massage later and I am 95% recovered from whatever I did to my back. Giving it one more day and getting back into the gym. Going to cut back my weights and go slow.

NancyRose--Awesome work! Thank you for sharing the photographs. Keep it up. Can't wait to see what the next year brings for you.

Manic-My heart goes out to you. I hope she realizes what a gift you are to her soon.
  • bepeejaye
    bepeejaye Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Nancy...congrats and happy birthday!!!

Beeps...welcome back!!

Manic....hang in there....

Checking in at 2/3....I met my caloric goals, albeit low protein...I am repeating last week's lifting because I missed last Friday's workout (due to TOM and food poisoning)....I plan to adjust my numbers on the Scooby calculator, as my body has changed.

Today I am going for Zumba class (every other week, I cut out the TRX Suspension Training Class and the Core class - trying to cut cardio lol), and cannot wait for the high!! Wohoo!!

Lift on ladies!!
  • girlcalledryan
    girlcalledryan Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Manic- I just wanted to chime in and say that I was that child. I was the oldest and I tried moving out a 18, did move out as soon as I graduated, and I wanted nothing to do with my dad. I even considered moving to the pacific NW, I live in Ohio. I moved back home, and had to repair those bridges. My advice, as the prodigal daughter, is to welcome her back (with cautious stipulations re: how to live in your home and repect the rest of your family) and love her despite herself. When she is older (even maybe just 1 year older) she will love you right back. So sorry you are going through this.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,986 Member
    Options
    Europe was a game-changer for me! (Even though I have been there 3 time before....my priorities have changed, over time, as maybe all of ours do!)

All the women (and men) are skinny. They all dress very well and look GREAT! I can do ALL of that, right now....I *am* tall and skinny and when i dress well, i LOOK GREAT! (I didn't dress well even one time in Europe....i was definitely exhausted, dressed in layers, tourist with a backpack! which I knew going in....)

So, while i will continue to lift, because it is the right thing to do, and i will continue to watch my calories,because it is the right thing to do, it CAN'T "define" me, anymore....

Ever.

I am SO freaking amazing, just as i am! I lead an incredible life, just as it is! I have taken great care of my body, whether cardio or weights, for 30+ YEARs, now.....and my body is, in fact, a temple.....a temple to the libertarian, of course, but a temple nonetheless!

Enjoy your life, my lovely mfp ladies.....it is the ONLY earthly, delightful life that YOU get!

BOOM!
  • swoldiergirl
    swoldiergirl Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I lift and I lift heavy. I've been approached about competing. Something I've considered, then quickly decided it wasn't for me. I've noticed that women tend to be scared to lift in the gym which is sad. I see more and more women squatting, which is great, but working on your body as a whole is better.
    I want to transform my body to see how muscular I can get and how much muscle mass I have left. Although I'm in my early 40's, I'm determined to give this one last shot!
    We should focus more on being healthy, not skinny. Being strong, Being Fit & Learning to Love ourselves and our bodies.
  • redlipsticklyfe
    redlipsticklyfe Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Manic- when i was 18 all my mother and i was fight. I knew everything and she was just trying to hold me back. Six months on my own and was calling and apologizing for the fights and thanking her for everything she did for me. She's now one of my best friends. All that to say: give her time. If you guys were close before you will be again.
    Sunshine: I'm tinkering around with my calories too. I dropped by 50 and I'm just going to monitor my weight daily (i know conventional wisdom says this is a horrible idea but it actually dies more to keep me accountable than anything else) for a few weeks see what the scale does. If at 1610 the scale moves great. If not I'll drop another 50 and see what happens.
    Jamaica: congratulations on the wedding! I think you can reach your goal with weight lifting.
    Beeps:love your outlook. It makes tons of sense. I'm glad you had a great time in Europe.
    Nancy: your progress is beautiful and so are you.

So I'm frustrated today. Two years ago i managed to get myself to my ultimate goal weight of 125 without counting calories and barely working out and i did it pretty quickly. Now I'm 141 which is the heaviest I've ever been. My was 2.5 inches smaller before i started new rules. On the flip side my legs look better and so do my arms. For the first time in my life i have a visible tricep. I'm cutting my calories back like I said earlier but continuing new rules in the hope that that will help move the scale and my measurements.
    I've pushed bikinigeddon back a month because while i want this body I'm not going to stress myself out with a self imposed deadline. Now if the end of June rolls around and I'm happy and ready to buy a bikini so be it. If i have to push back to December so be it. At this point i may be frustrated with my progress but by God I'm going to figure this out and get it right one and for all.
  • redlipsticklyfe
    Options
    Oh and Sunday i went see a man about putting a hole in my lip because body perforation is fun and i got a new cell phone and my new shoes should be here tomorrow. I thought after that long and serious rant i just we should end on a light note.
  • Beeps2011
    Options

I've pushed bikinigeddon back a month because while i want this body I'm not going to stress myself out with a self imposed deadline. Now if the end of June rolls around and I'm happy and ready to buy a bikini so be it. If i have to push back to December so be it.

^^^THIS!!!

Deadlines can sometimes LEAD to "goal hi-jack"....so, I am glad to read you have taken the time to figure out WHAT is important to you (a particular body-shape....moreso than a bodyweight....) and then recognize you ARE closer to THAT then you were 6 months ago....and you WILL be closer STILL 6 months from now.

Keep focusing on the "inputs" and leave the outputs to themselves....you are doing GREAT and why not POST some great pictures of your legs, here, of your arms, here, and BELIEVE ME, you will get REAL mfp-posters telling YOU how GREAT YOU LOOK!

BOOM!
  • jamaicanlady
    jamaicanlady Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    manic, I agree with all the other ladies. When I was 18 I knew it all and did it all. My mother was wrong about everything, she just didn't understand me. Yea, right. I eventually figured out that I didn't know *kitten* and we mended our differences. We've never been really close, but we're a lot closer now, now that I'm older and wiser. She will come around, I promise.

redlipstick, thanks. Yea, I KNOW weight lifting will get me there, I'm just impatient sometimes. And I totally feel you regarding how losing weight didn't even require much thought before but is much much harder now. I wish I knew then what I know now, I would have started lifting weights/eating well sooner. I dropped my calories by 50 this past week too, and cut out all cardio. Surprise surprise, dropped 1.6 lbs. You can do this, just be patient and experiment to see what works. And I weigh daily, but I can do this because I'm not obsessed so I don't see a big number and get down about. I know sodium and TOM bloats me up.

I haven't been to the beach for years because of hating the way I look. But this year I made myself a promise that I was going to work out very hard to get the look I want, but even if I didn't get to it by summer (and I WILL get to it eventually) I was going to the beach regardless. So what I did was to find to swimsuits I like, 1 was a bikini and the other a 1-piece. I WILL be wearing one of them this year, and I WILL feel like a million bucks. So there!
  • redlipsticklyfe
    Options
    Jamaican: the number on the scale used to drive me crazy but now I'm pretty removed from it. I like your idea of buying a one piece abbr a bikini. I do my eye on this really cute one piece. I might have to borrow your idea.
    So I've gotten committed to these workouts but if my weight isn't moving its not Lou's fault. I figure I'm missing somethinghere and there are four areas I can work on.
    1) I eat a A LOT on the weekends. No point in making all this progress during the week if I'm just going to jack up over the weekend.
    2) this ties into number one but I drink too much over the weekend. The idea of one cocktail is ridiculous to me. I probably need to take another hiatus from the fire water.
    3) I used to drink a lot more water than i have been in the past few weeks. Gotta fix that.
    4) I'm not getting enough sleep. And I stay up late doing dumb tHings like watching ratchet tv I mean ch1.
    I know the challenge ends this week but i think I'm going to keep going and do my best to hit these four goals every week.

3A2 tonight. I wish I could be excited but I'm too tired.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    manic, I just WENT on my European holiday with my childhood bestie and her two oldest daughters (aged 21 and coming 20)....believe me, it was EYE-opening!

I really wasn't traveling with my "best friend", because she was in FULL-ON "mama-mode"....and her 20-something daughters weren't really traveling as "youths" because they were FULL-ON in "daughter mode"....that mom-daughter dynamic was its OWN FORCE OF NATURE, lol!!!

Here's where I think the rubber hits the road....you RAISED your daughter and you KNOW you did the best job that you could, with the information that you had, at the time you made ALL the decisions that you did. So TRUST in the fact that YOU DID A GREAT JOB, and whatever "momentary" position she is taking, in her life, she still holds ALL THE TOOLS you (and her father) taught her all these years. She IS going to be fine and she WILL come back to seek a relationship with you when it is the right time.

I think you are gonna be fine....I think she is gonna be fine....I realize it is NOT FUN to go "through" some of this stuff, but somebody threw THIS quote at me, today, and I think it is FITTING, for you: "If you are going through HELL, keep going..." ~ Sir Winston Churchill.
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Last week was 2/3. I don't even know what my third goal was :laugh:

Manic, I'm sorry you're having a tough time with your daughter. It took a long time (and two rounds of prison time) for my brother to grow up.

DS and I are two itty bitty peas in a way far out pod. I just can't imagine it ever being different :frown:

I haven't found my sweet spot either. The only time I did really super was when I was training for a half marathon and ate EVERYTHING. That was fun :drinker: But I can't always be marathon training :sick: Also, I've been running for 11 years and my butt is squishy. I love running but I want to be a solid :bigsmile:

DNA, my PMS varies from month to month and this round I am super emotional. Lots of worrying over stuff that doesn't even exist :grumble: :explode: :explode:

I like FSPP. I miss them :heart:

Sam, when you were doing 1600 calories, was that for everyday or did you eat more on lift days?

Barbell, since I'm nailin' the planks these days, maybe I should go for harder instead of the time allotted. I don't know what has changed since last year. Last year, my planks totally sucked.

Marieann, so glad to see the chiropractor could help!

Beeps, are you trying to tell me to get the hell out of my pajamas? :grumble: Put makeup on? :noway:

Welcome, Swoldier.

I think I might just need to suck it up and do a bulk and cut cycle. Scary stuff right there. :sick:
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I dunno if I am TELLING anybody, anything! Just that, if I look in the mirror, naked, it's kind of a downer. But, when I am dressed properly, with hair done and, yes, MAKE-UP ON, I look GREAT! So, maybe it is more of a recognition that, at my age (yep, I JUST wrote that!!!!), working with what I *have* ~ i.e. a GREAT clothes on look, with a blech-clothes off look ~ is likely a BETTER path to feeling good about myself than to continuously try to PERFECT every imperfection I have!!!!!

On the plane home, I did watch the movie that has Sylvestor Stallone and Robert DeNiro in it, as aging boxers....no matter HOW you slice it, even in as GREAT a shape as they are, they HAVE FLAWS! Their skin is "thin"....happens to ALL OF US, as we age. Even as LEAN as they were (particularly Stallone...), they have wrinkles in their skin in a LOT of unfortunate places (armpits, elbows, kneecaps, etc.). For 60+-ers, they look AMAZING and are in AMAZING shape....but, they could NOT compete with the 20-something crowd. They just CAN'T.

Well, truth be told....NEITHER CAN I.

The end.

BOOM!
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    I'm not on any photo sharing site other than FB, so I don't add pics here except in my photo album.
    < ok, #1 guess the age lol. However, I'm posting this for a reason. I was 128 in this picture. No go into my pictures and find me at the beach in the black bikini and guess my weight there.

Trying to make a point, work with me here. (I didn't scan the pic properly, sorry it's so grainy.)
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Runz I wasn't really lifting but when I started I ate back my cals from workouts.

Some deep conversations going here ladies. It's "happy" week for me, so I will send you my positive vibes and wish you all well.
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    75 g of protein today. Hit my goal . Not a good day for me. I am in a funk. Started out eating high carbs this am and didn't workout until I realized I was self sabotaging. SO I went to the gym at 4:30! I had to work in areas that were super busy, but I feel like I got in a decent workout on shoulders and back.

No workout tomorrow unless I get up super early, and honestly I don't want to get up early.

Beeps, thanks. I just need to accept it. I can't though. For the past 20 years I have made my kids my life and worked at it that they would want to be with family. I didn't have it as a child. (alcoholic father and stepfather, a mother who didn't raise me, etc long story) So I worked all these years to have a family and now she doesn't want it. It HURTS.

Something funny but sad. My husband was playing with my cocker spaniel, and I started bawling.Our boy had taken the youngest out for lunch so we were home alone. He said , "what?" Me: "Is this what our lives will be? Us sitting at home playing with dogs?" Rather comical now that I think about it.