Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    What's a scorpion push-up?

We camped out in the backyard with kids - no sleep no doing either.

Today I swim
  • alexandriamarino
    alexandriamarino Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    hi everyone - i wanted to pop in and introduce myself. i just graduated from couch to 5k and would like to start incorporating weight training. i've finished my very first nrol workout today and will hopefully get over the feeling of bumbling around like an idiot at the gym! seriously, having to stop and study all the time to figure out what the hell i'm supposed to do next is so disconcerting!

planning a 6 day per week schedules with 3 days nrol and 2 easy runs plus 1 longer run before rest day (although am open to suggestions, i've done lots of cardio before but this is my 1st attempt at incorporating weight training). otherwise just looking forward to seeing all the awesome stuff you gals are doing...

EDIT: crap grammar
  • Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    What's a scorpion push-up?

We camped out in the backyard with kids - no sleep no doing either.

Today I swim
  • girlcalledryan
    girlcalledryan Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I just caught up from friday, you ladies have been posting like crazy. I spent my weekend eating like crazy :-/

Some of you may know I sprained my foot about a month ago, and I was recevering pretty well, back to running, and pretty much all the lifts in the stage 1 workouts were pain free. I was feeling good, gaining momentum. And then I got a cold last week, which kept me from running as much. And I love to smash carbs when I am sick. I ate so much all week and then on Saturday I was running a 5k trail race and turned my ankle, hurting my foot again. It's not as bad as before. I am not running a step until I see sports medicine Friday, so I guess I will cycle my warm ups.

You guys are doin great!

planning a 6 day per week schedules with 3 days nrol and 2 easy runs plus 1 longer run before rest day (although am open to suggestions, i've done lots of cardio before but this is my 1st attempt at incorporating weight training).

This is similiar to my idea schedule, but I am injured, so it's been less than ideal. My ideal plan is : Mon, rest, tues lift + yoga, Wed mid disctance run, Thurs mid distance run + lift, friday rest, Sat lift + spinning if possible, Sunday long run.
  • girlcalledryan
    girlcalledryan Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I forgot, I fall off the damn ball when I do the pikes, so I use a TRX set up at my gym and manage good form that way. Literally, I would fall off the ball.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Ok, I know I've been AWOL for an entire month - but today I lifted for the first time since the first of May. First I was tied up with our office move and getting the network set up and working correctly and then I hurt my shoulder - I have NO idea how it happened, but it's been dinging me in varying degrees since my last OHP session, and then I went to FL on vacation. I really didn't intend for it to be that long, but that's what happened.

Today I just did an easy upper body session - bench, bent over rows, DB press, skull crushers and 7s. I am going to start NROL4L one of these days, I just haven't made my way through the book yet and it's as confusing as his other NROLs are.

My understanding of the Bulgarian Split Squat and Static Lunge, rear leg elevated is as follows: The difference between the Bulgarian Split Squat and the Static Lunge IS the foot position, elevation of the riser, and consequently, stance. If you lay your foot flat on the riser, you are doing a BSS, and because your foot is flat, you'll need to use a higher riser - usually a bench, AND due to these factors, your stance will be shorter, AND you'll work your glutes and hams more. If your toes are bent on the riser, you are doing a static lunge. Your stance should be/can be and probably will be much wider than the BSS, and you will work your quads much more than the BSS.

I totally crapped out on the challenge Cowgirl, and I'm sorry for that. I've been eating poorly, and put on a couple of pounds because of it. But I'm back, and enjoyed being in the gym this morning!!

Hi to all you new folks, hope to get to know you all!
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Today I LIFT , beeps:wink: Not sure what I want to work on. arms/legs or shoulders/back. Since I had a 3 day break I can do either.

I didn't hit my protein goal yesterday. It was pathetic. 50 g of protein. Today I am aiming for 125 g protein. I know I can do it. It's just the "doing" it.

Sorry for your luck, Pmag.
  • manic4titans
    Options
    SUEBOO!!!! I've miss you ! YAY you are back.
  • marieann82
    marieann82 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I had an awesome 3 day weekend camping in the mountains with my family. Lots of hiking, climbing on rocks, and lots of EATING! Felt tired and a little wore down from packing out yesterday so decided to do a 20 min HITT video off Fitness Blender. I thought my legs were going to give out during intervals.

As of now, still on Phase 1 of Nrol4W, going to add HITT on two days and on Saturdays adding Tracy Anderson's Cardio. Sunday is rest day. I hope it is not too much cardio with my lifts, but I really need to shed the winter pounds for my emotional and mental health. :) Hopefully with the morning and nightly walks with kids and dogs and doing more yard work/gardening, it will come off quickly this way.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Mary Mary my friend and hugest supporter, I am so glad to BE BACK!!
  • manic4titans
    Options
    Sue, I AM glad you are back. You keep me on my toes.

I did arms and legs today. Since yall have been talking about static lunges and BSS I did those today along with those dreaded step ups. I asked Alwyn what would be comparable to the back squats and he suggested step ups and box squats. SOOOOOO, :grumble: I've been doing them.

I feel so fluffy like a marshmallow. It's not TOM or even near TOM. My butt just looks plumper, arms jiggle,, and my tummy looks poofed out.

AND I don't think I will hit my goal of 125 g protein today. I've only had 49g so far today.
  • rocky503
    rocky503 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Did a 5k ON sUNDAY and happy with my performance, not the fastest I've ever been but a good place to start with the summer season. I just checked the results again and my pace was a 9:51 min/mile which is a PR! I'm not a natural runner but I ran the whole time and paced myseft pretty well. I went as support for a friend as this was her first ever event as she is starting at ground zero and walking.

I want to sign up for a package of trainer visits which I would use over the next five months or so but I've spent money on summer camp and want to fly somewhere this summer so I feel Iike I should hold off, as my work out habits in summer are all over the place due to vacations and travel. I don't know if I should just do it and make the commitment or wait til fall to start.. Of couse I will still work out over the summer but be self guided.

What to do? the idea is to check every six weeks and have program tweeked. Besides general lifting and fitness I am also working on strength balance which I need an outside pair of eyes for.

Made BBQ on Monday and killer lower fat/caloires potato salad using lowfat 1/3 mayo and 2/3 lowfat sourcream.

I will lift on Thursday and Sunday this week.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options

My understanding of the Bulgarian Split Squat and Static Lunge, rear leg elevated is as follows: The difference between the Bulgarian Split Squat and the Static Lunge IS the foot position, elevation of the riser, and consequently, stance. If you lay your foot flat on the riser, you are doing a BSS, and because your foot is flat, you'll need to use a higher riser - usually a bench, AND due to these factors, your stance will be shorter, AND you'll work your glutes and hams more. If your toes are bent on the riser, you are doing a static lunge. Your stance should be/can be and probably will be much wider than the BSS, and you will work your quads much more than the BSS.

Welcome back :-)

I thought the difference was the height of the bench?

Scorpion push up - push ups with one leg lifted up so that your heel curls over towards your butt - see here http://hilifefitness.co.uk/chest-exercises-scorpion-push-ups/
  • rocky503
    rocky503 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I just caught up from friday, you ladies have been posting like crazy. I spent my weekend eating like crazy :-/

Some of you may know I sprained my foot about a month ago, and I was recevering pretty well, back to running, and pretty much all the lifts in the stage 1 workouts were pain free. I was feeling good, gaining momentum. And then I got a cold last week, which kept me from running as much. And I love to smash carbs when I am sick. I ate so much all week and then on Saturday I was running a 5k trail race and turned my ankle, hurting my foot again. It's not as bad as before. I am not running a step until I see sports medicine Friday, so I guess I will cycle my warm ups.

You guys are doin great!

planning a 6 day per week schedules with 3 days nrol and 2 easy runs plus 1 longer run before rest day (although am open to suggestions, i've done lots of cardio before but this is my 1st attempt at incorporating weight training).

This is similiar to my idea schedule, but I am injured, so it's been less than ideal. My ideal plan is : Mon, rest, tues lift + yoga, Wed mid disctance run, Thurs mid distance run + lift, friday rest, Sat lift + spinning if possible, Sunday long run.

When you gals lift three days a week do you feel like you have enough recovery time? I am really good at 2 days a week lifting usually as I feel I need 48 hours to recover properly. I don't know if it's an age thing, level of conditioning or just genetics....
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,987 Member
    Options
    I like it, Sue! Top part of foot resting on bench - BSS. Toes resting on bench - static lunge.

In either case, my quads take over and I don't end up working my lazy glutes!
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I use my couch for BSS - perfect for my short little legs, and my foot is comfortable being flat because of the cushioning. As my glutes ache like crazy afterwards I guess I'm doing it right :wink: :laugh:

I like the look of scorpion pushups! I shall add that to my 'must try' list :smile:

Very tired today. I need to work out how to get better sleep. Way too much crap floating around at the moment - husband is stressed with work and university, kids are stressed with school and friendship issues and my work is picking up (which is good, but on top of everything leaves little time to just chill). I really need my lifting time each week because punching out some of those moves is a massive stress release and I'm always on a high afterwards - achey and tired, but happy :smile:
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options

This thread is great - love hearing who everyone is doing :)
    I totally missed this! You win! :laugh:

Rocky, way to go! Awesome 5k. Last year, I was doing closer to 2 days instead of 3 days. This time, I'm doing 3 and doing great. If I need more recovery, I skip a run. I guess you have to train yourself to handle the amount the per week. It took me a long time to go from 4 days of working out a week to 5. I really had to mentally break through and accept that I would just be terribly tired for a few weeks until I got used to it. I lift 3 days and run 2 days.

DNA, I do BSS on the loveseat and the flat of my foot still complains. Maybe I should try a few without weights and see how it feels.

We've had lots of flash flooding the last couple of days. When I came home today, I immediately changed into running clothes and hoped to beat the next rain. It started thundering while I was changing :noway: I gave up and took a nap. When I woke, it was sunny and I went straight out. I really thought I might have given up for the day but I didn't. Go me. It was just a little two miler.

I think my protein bars are constipating me. I'm going to give them up. Another night with milk of magnesia :sick:
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Geeze, I go away for the weekend and see what happens. I love seeing such an active thread, but boy is it hard to catch up lol.

WELCOME BACK SUE!!

Beeps, great job lifting.

Mary, your consistency is getting so good, keep it lady, you're doing great.

Runz, I love the suit, I would totally wear that...and your posterior looks very similar to mine lol.

Welcome to all of the new ladies, just remember...just keep lifting, just keep lifting (in my best Dori voice)

I had the best weekend ever, though it started off with some aggravation. Kids both got sent home with lice. That's what I get for making them wash their hair everyday. So I missed the gym Friday night while I scrubbed my house, their heads and disinfected every surface of their room (it hasn't been this clean since we moved and what I found under their bun bed, behind the dresser portion was a crime against humanity) After doing 20 loads of laundry over two days, I was beat.

Saturday we drove from NJ to VA and the Shenandoah National Park. My husband biked Skyline Drive. We camped, we hiked, we climbed on rocks, we slept on the hard ground, we made hot dogs and s'mores over a campfire and then went exploring caverns. Awesome time had by all. (it sounded like someone else had a similar weekend. Where did you go? We had such a good time I'm looking for more places to visit.

I haven't been to the gym since Wednesday and haven't logged food since Friday. I DON'T CARE! I think the five hours of hiking in the mountains took care of any missed exercise. I had a class trip with my seventh grade to Liberty Science Center today (hands-0n science museum) and my legs are shot. Unfortunately I have another trip with my sixth grade to the Bronx Zoo tomorrow. Lots of walking. Lord help me.
  • manic4titans
    Options

This thread is great - love hearing who everyone is doing :)
    I totally missed this! You win! :laugh:

So I shouldn't be embarrassed that I caught it? It's pathetic how bored I am lately.

I don't think I can get anymore protein in. 92 or 94 today. I know that's amazing for me , and I don't need to be hard on myself

Whatever squat or lunge I performed today has my glutes burning.

SAM! Your weekend sounds awesome. I don't know if I can sleep on the hard ground ever again. When is school out for you? and thanks for the encouragement.

The BSS totally stretched my front thigh! I did not add any weight today to the BSS or static lunge. I figured my first day doing them in months I should go easy.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    I will catch up soon! Looks like you are all killing it!!!!
    Keep posting your challenge results for the week- that was the final week!

Anyone want to do another challenge or shall we just stick to keeping each other accountable here on this thread?

Runz, look at your tiny waist and flat tummy! You're looking HOT!