Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• SuperJo1972
    SuperJo1972 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, hope you are having a good weekend. And belated b'day wishes bepee :-)

I Was able to get my Saturday lifting in so I'm on track for 3 strength training sessions this week. I aim to focus on eating better this week, with some post workout protein shakes planned.

I finally bought my squat rack and exercise bench yesterday, so I feel like I am all in now. :-)
    In addition I got a fitbit flex to monitor my activity. ;-)

Question re:squat. I find a deep squat much easier on my back than a parallel squat (half squat) in stage one, is it OK to substitute these? It is harder but feels more natural for me. Any thoughts?
  • amanda_gent
    amanda_gent Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Hello fellow strong-women! I am nearing the end of doing all of NROL4W the second time around. Does anyone think there is anything wrong with going through it for a third time? I really like the program, finally feel like I know what I'm doing and am getting some good results (shape-wise and strength-wise).

I was considering doing strong lifts next but I'm not excited about the idea of learning a completely new thing....

Thoughts? And thanks in advance!
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Amanda, welcome to the group! You sure can do this program a third time around. Why not? When I finish, I think I'll be ready to try something different.

Weejo, way to go getting your lifting done this week. Me, too :flowerforyou: That's a good squat question...

Bepee, glad to see you had an awesome birthday! I'm still considering a bicycle for myself.

Manic, I don't have a good way to do step ups so I do single leg squats.

Did I tell y'all that my DH volunteered me to make 100 cupcakes? :noway: Friday night, I spent 3.5 hours baking the cupcakes. Yesterday, I spent 3 hours stuffing them with ganache. Today, icing. :grumble: :grumble: :grumble:
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Cliff makes energy bars for endurance athletes and builder bars for lifters. The energy are fairly low protein and high carb, the builder bars are 21-30g protein. My Costco doesn't have them :(

ANd then, I woke up with DOMS

Weejo,as "low you can go" deeper the better with good form.

Go for it Amanda, but take a look at Supercharged, you just may like it ;)

Runz that's a whole lot o cupcakes, and so fancy. My kids are lucky if they get 2 dozen with crap icing.

I might the kids and my mom bowling today. we shall see.
  • sunshinelively
    sunshinelively Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Not lifting today....spoilt rotten I am lol - enjoying my birthday...

Had breakfast in bed (inlcuding home made cranberry-macadamia pistacchio biscotti - I love it instead of cake, clotted cream and a crumpet, etc...), after a guitar serenade....then came gift time....then off I was whisked to a half day spa.....now getting ready to go out for dinner, a movie then dancing...aaahhhhh....

Lift on ladies, and have a great weekend!

That soundS absolutely heavenly!! Happy Birthday! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Ari112233
    Ari112233 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Has anyone had a bad lifting day? By that I mean, in went to do 1b8 today and my body just was too tired and it did not go well. I ended up leaving. I lifted really well and increased all my weights on Friday evening for 1a8 and then I think my mistake was I went to a zumba class on saturday morning. I was exhausted allday yesterday and when I showed up and the gym this morning I just didn't seem to be recovered UGH
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Has anyone had a bad lifting day? By that I mean, in went to do 1b8 today and my body just was too tired and it did not go well. I ended up leaving. I lifted really well and increased all my weights on Friday evening for 1a8 and then I think my mistake was I went to a zumba class on saturday morning. I was exhausted allday yesterday and when I showed up and the gym this morning I just didn't seem to be recovered UGH

several times. I ended up repeating the failed lifting day. Made me feel like I improved myself instead of just going through the motions and moving on (if that makes sense)

Who are you making cupcakes for , runz? I think I would be making basic cakes instead of filled ones :wink: Are you a cake baker? do that for a hobby? I have a friend who received absolutely ZERO training but makes the most amazing cakes. If yall are interested in looking check her out on facebook. Cakes by Jen . She's from Huntington , WV.

Amanda, I don't see why you can't do it a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or 5th time around. Keep good form and increase your weights. I like the program. I got bored though.

Sam, AH, so I can find the Cliff bars at other places. My Sam's didn't have the "lifter's" type. I haven't tried the kind we bought yet. Hopefully, they are tasty. I ate a pure protein bar last night that disintegrated into saw dust in mouth. It was Pure Nasty.
  • samntha14
    Options
    yes, and yes. Sometimes our bodies just need more time to recover. Sometimes it's a more tired day of the month, sometimes we just don't get enough protein and our muscles aren't ready to work. it's better to put the weights down when you are too tired to work than keep pushing and make it worse or injure yourself.
  • samntha14
    Options
    The regular cliff bars are quite tasty. We use them on long hikes, but for my day to day use they don't suit my needs. Hubby uses them though. Now the pure protein ones, not my favorite tasting either, but like you noticed, more protein at 21. I'm not fussy about those things. Stop & Shop has a store brand with 21g but again they taste like chalk. I force them down anyway because I can usually get them for .75 each. The zone bars are my favorite and there are some flavors that are 21g, but I can't buy them in bulk.
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Options

Yep. It generally means I've done too much or haven't slept enough. Or I've tried getting my lifting in while the kids are at home - a really, really bad idea I have learned.

Monday morning here! Slowly getting moving. I think the cold is finally starting to arrive (although I'll say that and it'll be warm again tomorrow). Was woken up by the fire alarm beeping this morning - the batteries are apparently going flat. Why they always seem to do that at 5am is anyone's guess.

Today I lift and then work and then walk this afternoon. It's my busiest day of the week :bigsmile:
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Manic, DH volunteered me to make the cupcakes for his high school staff :noway: He thinks he owes them for being so helpful with an upcoming trip and decided that my sweets are a great way to show appreciation. He didn't ask me :noway: AND he promised (his favorite) strawberry cake with a ganache filling, topped with strawberry cream icing.

I like the Pure Protein bars but they make me constipated. I love the Oh Yeah! bars but Kroger doesn't sell them.
  • manic4titans
    Options
    Manic, DH volunteered me to make the cupcakes for his high school staff :noway: He thinks he owes them for being so helpful with an upcoming trip and decided that my sweets are a great way to show appreciation. He didn't ask me :noway: AND he promised (his favorite) strawberry cake with a ganache filling, topped with strawberry cream icing.

I like the Pure Protein bars but they make me constipated. I love the Oh Yeah! bars but Kroger doesn't sell them.

well , since he volunteered you , I think he should treat you to a nice home cooked meal that he cooks and cleans up. :bigsmile:

Pure Protein must have some better tasting bars then. I had the chocolate deluxe. YUCK.

All this protein is constipating me . :noway:
  • manic4titans
    Options
    The regular cliff bars are quite tasty. We use them on long hikes, but for my day to day use they don't suit my needs. Hubby uses them though. Now the pure protein ones, not my favorite tasting either, but like you noticed, more protein at 21. I'm not fussy about those things. Stop & Shop has a store brand with 21g but again they taste like chalk. I force them down anyway because I can usually get them for .75 each. The zone bars are my favorite and there are some flavors that are 21g, but I can't buy them in bulk.

Yes, that's why I picked up the Pure Protein because of the 21 g protein.

I am confused. Regular Cliff bars opposed to which ones?

I need to double check Sam's club again for the bars. Trying to shop with hubs and the little one........
  • Pudding1980
    Pudding1980 Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Happy belated, Bepeejay!

I will definitely give the BSS one last try this week but I only have one workout left that calls for them, and then Friday we are on to stage 3 :)

I am starving today. Yesterday was a cheat day that included tortilla chips, fries and cheesecake :P so I've been on track today but have pretty much eaten all my calories including my workout ones. Ravenous!
  • Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Hello all.
    I can deal with bad taste and constipation( I take mag citrate supplements- to help with chronic muscle pain), but some bars. Like builders give me atrocious gas. Some bars and shakes are ok - cytosport powder and muscle milk are ok and at Costco.

Runza I can't imagine that many cupcakes!

Belated happy bday- it sounds like a tasty one.

Pudding did you try bodyweight bss first??
  • amanda_gent
    amanda_gent Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement to keep going~I really appreciate it. I am feeling a little boring, but am not BORED yet. Will take a look at Supercharged when and if that happens.

I'm taking a week break before I tackle the last phase again -it's a doozy! Why haven't I been in this thread before? There's so much information here!

(And A LOT of cupcakes. :) lol)
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Amanda, the great thing about all of the New Rules programs is that they offer periodization- they change rep ranges. Many experts feel that it is key for building and maintaining muscle. So you could keep doing New Rules for Women, Supercharged, Abs, Life, whatever, for the rest of your life and you wouldn't need to worry about "switching things up" because it is already written into the program.

I like the Cliff Builders. I also like the Quest Cravings Peanut Butter Cups. They're like a Reese's. They're not the fudgy, chewy consistency of the Quest Bars.

Runz, wow. That's a lot of baking to do. I want the recipe for the Strawberry cupcakes! I love to bake. Cookies are my specialty. When I am stressed I bake. It started when I was in nursing school and it's still a habit. Probably why I gained so much weight when my kids were young.

Pudding, I read somewhere about ankle mobility and the BSS- can't remember where though. Might be part of the issue if you have poor flexibility in your ankles.

I've been very lax about logging the past few weeks. I've realized that stress and weight loss do not coincide for me. So I eliminated two stressors this week(logging/freaking about macros and not getting enough sleep). I feel so much better, I'm ready to start logging and eating better again. Hopefully this week won't be as crazy as last week. I've been just maintaining weight, which is fine.
  • manic4titans
    Options
    Pmag, my family can NOT take the atrocious gas. :laugh: and I can not deal with the constipation. I guess I need to find something to take on a daily basis .

I can handle a bad taste. It is the consistency /texture I can not.

I bought Premier Protein bars at Sam's Club. I just tried the yogurt peanut crunch. Not too bad. Hubby and I halved the bar. 145 cals and 15 g protein for each of us.

Sam, I noticed on your diary you drank Premier protein shake. Do you like it?

Cowgirl, you got it going on :drinker:
  • Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Amanda you look awesome !! But if you want to change look at supercharged.you pick the exercises so you can focus on a weakness. I loved the last phase once I was several workouts in.

I am generally not a cook. But I made almond flour muffins with dried cranberries this am and loved them.-

Good job pudding.
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement to keep going~I really appreciate it. I am feeling a little boring, but am not BORED yet. Will take a look at Supercharged when and if that happens.

I'm taking a week break before I tackle the last phase again -it's a doozy! Why haven't I been in this thread before? There's so much information here!

(And A LOT of cupcakes. :) lol)

I LOVE cupcakes. But I only got to eat a measly little 3 cupcake from the last lot - they were devoured by my children and their friends (and my husband!! apparently studying needs cupcakes) within 24 hours :grumble: :laugh:

I need pictures of these strawberry & ganache cupcakes. For research purposes, of course :wink:

Seeing as I started in October, it's taken me 7 months to finally get to the end of Stage 3 LOL When I say I'm slow, I'm reeaaallllyyy slow :wink: :laugh: But as I did the bentover row this morning with a weight that is 60% of my bodyweight, I think I'm on the right track :bigsmile: AND I'm doing the BWM in 1min45s.

I've decided now it's June to revamp my 3 little goals.

1. Drink 2x my water bottle every day. I'd been slacking on the water thing and my headaches are back.
    2. Reduce the amount of caffeine (tea, coffee, coke) I drink each day. Again, I'd been slack and not sleeping properly. I know it's stressful around here at the moment, but let's take caffeine down a notch in the equation. Aiming for just the one cup of tea and one cup of coffee a day.
    3. Lift at least 3x a week. Easy enough to do as I've actually been lifting 3-4x a week depending on the schedule. I'm hoping to not have to adjust this one in the coming school holidays (don't start until end of June).

I'm packing away the stupid scale too until after Winter. I'm going to go with the flow for the next few months and see where I end up. Besides, layers, jackets and scarves are kinda fun :happy: Now if someone can please give that memo to the weather (I'm sitting here in a singlet top), that'd be awesome.