Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• rocky503
    rocky503 Posts: 430 Member
    Options

I was watching Mark Ripptoe Starting strength for squat critques: Are you squatting below 90 degrees? Sticking your chest out with with elbows back? He has the lifter hold thier breath pressing up which braces your spine, maybe try that? Try not squatting down too far.

Nope, nope and nope! I don't have a big range of movement with my squats so I am not even able to get parallel. It's not weight related - doesn't matter, as soon as a bar is on my back I can't go low.

Definitely not holding my breath - a big exhale is the only thing that gets me back up, lol. I will check my chest next time but I don't think I do that. I may have to watch that video - is it on youtube?

Jo I don't see the video Clips on Youtube that are on a CD he has out. I checked in out from the library, "Starting Strength" Mark Rippetoe...
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Runz, those photos are AWESOME!!
    a. do you need a bunch of equipment?
    b. did you already own that equipment?
    c. if you didn't, what would you buy, and where?

a. To get started, nope. Because I was a weakling, I started with dumbbells (goblet squats etc), a mat and a gym ball. Substituted a few bodyweight things in for some stuff, but it was perfectly doable - Nerd Fitness and YouTube was my go-to place of trying to work out form and substitutions. I just didn't want to wait, and I knew that just starting was the best thing to do. I researched a lot.

I now have a squat rack, but before that, I had saved up for a bar & weights and used two dining chairs as my rack - if you're determined, you learn to make do.

b. I already had a mat, the gym ball was like $10? and I had a few dumbbells floating around that were good to start with.

c. eBay or similar is good for second hand equipment. I got my squat rack + bench + lat bar + 60kg weights for $250AU, which is very cheap. It had been well looked after, they were just upgrading and needed the space in their garage gym, so score for me!

I bought extra basic dumbbells from like Kmart etc, mats are cheap there as well. I got my door frame pullup bar from a similar department store for $15AU. I got my starter weights (8kg bar, about 17lb?) set from a sports store after I was given a gift card at Christmas.

I'm giving myself a rest day today as I think I slept crooked and my neck is a bit sore. I can foresee extra coffee happening here today. And in that frame of mind, I'm going to shift my schedule (again) because I'm not getting enough work done, so it's back to 5am wake ups 6x a week just so I can get workouts in. Seriously, if anyone wakes me up before 7am on Sundays they will be lucky to survive...

New goals are:

1. Lift 3x a week (this should be easy done)
    2. CARDIO minimum 2x week for at least 30mins
    3. Back to proper meal planning and keep healthy snacks on hand

Okay, I've procrastinated enough, time for work! Be beautiful and badass!
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Jo I don't see the video Clips on Youtube that are on a CD he has out. I checked in out from the library, "Starting Strength" Mark Rippetoe...

I just checked my library..... only one book (not CD) in the whole of South Australia, hahaha. I have put a hold on it!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,957 Member
    Options
    Thanks for letting me know about home-work-outs and NROL4W, ladies....I really appreciate it and I have passed your information onto my friend.

I don't know what the difference is between a high-bar and a low-bar squat, myself....I've worked with enough personal trainers, etc., to simply recognize that, for me, the squat does not work my glutes and it is my glutes that I care to work. So, enough said about that - I don't think I'm going to waste my time on backsquats or frontsquats again....however, I maintain they are STILL the MOST BADA$$ move that exists and because of THAT, I am full of malaise...
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,957 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you all squat!

I'm totally jealous!!

KEEP DOING IT if it WORKS FOR YOU!!!
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Beeps, I don't think the squats are doing anything for my glutes either. Based on your pictures, I think our bodies are about the same.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Low bar squat sits lower on your back than the traditional back squat. Many people who have problems with flexibility find the low bar squat more effective.

Jo, yesterday I took extra time working on form and flexibility. But who has time like that on a regular basis? Not most of us busy moms.

Runz, you are too cute! My body type is similar to yours. I have more fat on me right now than you do!

Sam, I forgot about using plates under the heels- that always helps!

I should've lowered my goals for this week. My in-laws are here, so food is very iffy. But I think cals will be ok and I can get my workouts in.
  • Ali_momof2
    Ali_momof2 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Barbell I knew you would come through with the answer on the squats you are awesome like that.

Runz, how you look so good after a workout is beyond me, I'm a red sweaty mess. And you're arms & back look fantastic.

I've had one of those discouraging weeks. I've been working out & dieting since March with no real changes. I've eaten at a deficit, then told that I was eating too little so I upped a little. I was told I should lift so here I am lifting. I do cardio or cardio kickboxing 4-5 days a week. I'm always busy on weekends running around even jumping on the trampoline with & with kids ( that workout can be no joke). I can see a difference in my arms but I want to slim my hips & thighs ( I know some of you can relate). I've cut out fast food, and most junk food ( still a cookie or bit of candy here & there, but not whole servings). My BF says I'm over training, but I don't feel like I am, I'm not overly tired or sore or anything like that. Just frustrated.

I have decided on Stage 2 I'm going to back off the weights a bit to work on form. (I know this sounds logical to you all & I should have been doing it fromthe beginning) I've gotten my DBs up to 30lbs (almost 40) when I do the step ups, but if I get a little unbalanced I feel like I'm going to fall over. I should realize that is 60lbs & its more than half my weight so I need to work on my core. I still find things confusing with TDDEs & eating at a deficit but not if youre lifting. I'm going to work on trying to accept me as me & I'll lose the inches eventually. I tend to focus too much on what the scale says & its hasn't been moving (neither are the inches). I will be paitent but I'm still open to anything you guys can suggest. I know better than to open any of these feeling on a different thread bc some ppl on here are just down right mean for no reason.

Any way thanks for letting me vent I hope everyone has a good weekend, seems like there has been a lot of family birthdays & visits lately :drinker:
  • jamaicanlady
    jamaicanlady Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your advice all. Funny I have never had any issues with my knees with squats at all so I don't think that is the issue. It is flexibility without a doubt. I probably should do something about that.... if only there were an extra day or so in my week! Gah

My glutes are definitely the area I feel it most - sure my quads hurt at the time, but my glutes is where I get DOMS (i.e. like right now!!). I only get DOMS in my quads if I've done Body Pump and that's a reasonable weight for serious reps. I do tend to have more of a wide leg stance for that though, I think so I can go lower. Now that I'm thinking about it, maybe I should try that with my heavy squats - I don't consciously choose a set stance - I go with what's comfy. But I'm wondering if I'm subconsciously narrowed by the presence of the squat rack bars etc. I will definitely look at this next time.

As for the breathing, I breath in on the way down and out on the way up. That's it. I'm not going to overthink it. It works for me. If I start thinking about breathing too much I'll start making it more complicated than it needs to be and get worse at it, lol. Gotta keep it simple ladies, this brain can't take much more :laugh:

Also, what is high bar and low bar?

Anyways.... today is a 'rest' day for me. I use inverted commas as I am helping at the school and studying for the most part, but no gym. Did P90X plyo yesterday - forgot how many squats THAT had too.... ouchy!
    Sorry jo, I'm the typical type A/detail-oriented/left brained type of person. I analyze EVERYTHING (sometimes too much) before I do anything and sometimes forget that not everyone is like me. Don't overthink your breathing, just do what you've always done, SQUAT. However, it would be remiss of me to not try to convince you again that parallel is the way to go. Your knees may not hurt now, but you're young, you never know what may happen later on. To work on your flexibility, you only need like 5 minutes or so a day. If you youtube "flexibility for squats", you'll find videos that are as short as 2 mins. I've done quite a few of them and I find that they really work.

High bar vs low bar squatting is not something anyone NEEDS to know about to squat (unless your like me), but here is a pic of how the front, high bar and low bar squats look at the bottom position. It's taken from the bible of strength training that was mentioned before: Starting Strength by Mark Ripptoe.

high_bar_squat.jpg
  • jamaicanlady
    jamaicanlady Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I've had one of those discouraging weeks. I've been working out & dieting since March with no real changes. I've eaten at a deficit, then told that I was eating too little so I upped a little. I was told I should lift so here I am lifting. I do cardio or cardio kickboxing 4-5 days a week. I'm always busy on weekends running around even jumping on the trampoline with & with kids ( that workout can be no joke). I can see a difference in my arms but I want to slim my hips & thighs ( I know some of you can relate). I've cut out fast food, and most junk food ( still a cookie or bit of candy here & there, but not whole servings). My BF says I'm over training, but I don't feel like I am, I'm not overly tired or sore or anything like that. Just frustrated.

I have decided on Stage 2 I'm going to back off the weights a bit to work on form. (I know this sounds logical to you all & I should have been doing it fromthe beginning) I've gotten my DBs up to 30lbs (almost 40) when I do the step ups, but if I get a little unbalanced I feel like I'm going to fall over. I should realize that is 60lbs & its more than half my weight so I need to work on my core. I still find things confusing with TDDEs & eating at a deficit but not if youre lifting. I'm going to work on trying to accept me as me & I'll lose the inches eventually. I tend to focus too much on what the scale says & its hasn't been moving (neither are the inches). I will be paitent but I'm still open to anything you guys can suggest. I know better than to open any of these feeling on a different thread bc some ppl on here are just down right mean for no reason.
    Ali, I'm sorry you're feeling this way. Many of us have been there ourselves. I know I have. I think you should know:

1. Hips and thighs are one of the hardest places for a woman to get rid of fat. (For men it's the tummy). Especially when you get down to low levels of body fat. I don't know how low your bf is, but you mention 60lbs being more than half your weight so that sounds like you're pretty slim. There is a book called The Stubborn Fat Solution by Lyle McDonald. I bought it but then realized its for persons who are at a pretty low body fat and need to get rid of that last bit from their hips/thighs so I haven't read it fully yet because my body fat is still pretty high. But if yours is low, you should look into getting that book.

2. You do sound like you're overtraining. 4-5 days of cardio/kickboxing PLUS lifting PLUS all the other stuff sounds like a lot.

3. For most people, fat loss IS as simple as maintaining a calorie deficit, lifting to maintain/increase muscle mass, eating enough protein for muscle repair.

4. Sometimes after being in a deficit too long, hormone levels drop and you need to eat at maintenance for about two weeks to start the fat loss going again.

Hope this helps, any questions please feel free to ask.
  • Ali_momof2
    Ali_momof2 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Thank you Jamaican, maybe I will try to eat at maintenance for 2 weeks, I've tried everything else. I'm not sure what my body fat is, but I know I've got plenty of jiggly in the back. I'll try to dial back on the workouts, maybe not do the cardio on the days I lift. I just like the kickboxing, it feels good to throw some punches & get the frustration out.
  • DouMc
    DouMc Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options

Ali, I'm sorry you're feeling this way. Many of us have been there ourselves. I know I have. I think you should know:

1. Hips and thighs are one of the hardest places for a woman to get rid of fat. (For men it's the tummy). Especially when you get down to low levels of body fat. I don't know how low your bf is, but you mention 60lbs being more than half your weight so that sounds like you're pretty slim. There is a book called The Stubborn Fat Solution by Lyle McDonald. I bought it but then realized its for persons who are at a pretty low body fat and need to get rid of that last bit from their hips/thighs so I haven't read it fully yet because my body fat is still pretty high. But if yours is low, you should look into getting that book.

2. You do sound like you're overtraining. 4-5 days of cardio/kickboxing PLUS lifting PLUS all the other stuff sounds like a lot.

3. For most people, fat loss IS as simple as maintaining a calorie deficit, lifting to maintain/increase muscle mass, eating enough protein for muscle repair.

4. Sometimes after being in a deficit too long, hormone levels drop and you need to eat at maintenance for about two weeks to start the fat loss going again.

i agree with this. And will also add - don't get discouraged. I have heard lots of people feeling down about not seeing any progress in their body during stage 1 and even later in NROLFW. I know I did. If you are consistent though the weight and inches will eventually come off. Just make sure that you are eating enough to fuel your workouts while still staying in a deficit. (although taking a week or two off as JL suggested is a good idea too)
  • DouMc
    DouMc Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the squat info JL, I looked up information early on flexibility for squats and I am planning on adding in exercises to improve my shoulder, hip, and ankle flexibility. I am also going to work on wrist strength because today my wrists hurt just doing push ups!

I didn't lift today because my back is still a little achy but hopefully tomorrow i'll be back at it.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Sorry jo, I'm the typical type A/detail-oriented/left brained type of person. I analyze EVERYTHING (sometimes too much) before I do anything and sometimes forget that not everyone is like me. Don't overthink your breathing, just do what you've always done, SQUAT. However, it would be remiss of me to not try to convince you again that parallel is the way to go. Your knees may not hurt now, but you're young, you never know what may happen later on. To work on your flexibility, you only need like 5 minutes or so a day. If you youtube "flexibility for squats", you'll find videos that are as short as 2 mins. I've done quite a few of them and I find that they really work.

High bar vs low bar squatting is not something anyone NEEDS to know about to squat (unless your like me), but here is a pic of how the front, high bar and low bar squats look at the bottom position. It's taken from the bible of strength training that was mentioned before: Starting Strength by Mark Ripptoe.

high_bar_squat.jpg

Thanks for this. Now I'm going to sound really stupid, but what part of the leg are we looking at to be parallel? Because I have always looked at the front/ top (i.e. my quads should be parallel) - but they aren't in that picture. I think that pic looks like my upper legs. I guess my problem is that the squat rack at my gym faces the mirror - so I don't get a side on view.

I definitely do the high bar though, my shoulders have worse flexibility than the rest of me and I don't think I could hold the bar well in the low position.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    ...and....

DRUMROLL PLEASE....

I FINALLY made it to 115 lbs on my deadlifts!! THAT IS RIGHT, ladies, NO LONGER do I have to remove the 35 lb plates, after my hip thrusts, to put on 25 lb plates (plus some...) to do my deadlifts....and back again.

Finally, finally, finally, I can keep the 35 lb plates on (I'm at 155 lbs on my hip thrusts) and just move other plates on/off!

THIS IS A HUGE TIME-SAVER....and I am SUPER excited about this!

Now, all of a sudden, a 125 lb deadlift doesn't look like it is too too far off. YAHOO!!
    Go Beeps, Go beeps!
  • samntha14
    Options

What she said^. Jamaica, the student has become the teacher. You go girl. When I first saw 4-5 days f cardio kick, I was Geeze-Louise that's a LOT!!
  • samntha14
    Options

high_bar_squat.jpg

Thanks for this. Now I'm going to sound really stupid, but what part of the leg are we looking at to be parallel? Because I have always looked at the front/ top (i.e. my quads should be parallel) - but they aren't in that picture. I think that pic looks like my upper legs. I guess my problem is that the squat rack at my gym faces the mirror - so I don't get a side on view.

I definitely do the high bar though, my shoulders have worse flexibility than the rest of me and I don't think I could hold the bar well in the low position.
    Parallel means your quad is parallel with the floor. I go down until my calf meets my hamstring, *kitten* to grass. As mentioned before, it's actually better for the knees and the greater range of motion.IF you want to work those glutes in a squat then you better make sure you squeeze them on the way back up. I have short legs for my height, so I've been hitting the supports on the rack.
  • samntha14
    Options
    Still resting and resisting smacking the husband for snide comments. I had a huge lunch though I tried my best to log it all and came out not so bad for the day. I can't seem to stay under on days I don't exercise. So does it count as NSVs to have someone wolf whistle at you and o have creepy old men call you shapely. Nope, didn't think so. Why do men have to be gross?

Four weeks of vacation officially starts now!!! Though I have two more seminars this summer, summer reading projects to prepare for and curriculum updates to do, and three new online systems I have to learn by September because my district is stupid. But hooray SUMMER! (done complaining about my job for four weeks) :bigsmile:
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I love all the squat talk.

Thank y'all for checkin' out my pictures :blushing:

Yesterday, I took a photo of my my 25 lbs single arm dumbbell snatch :love: :laugh:

We went to a water park last night and lost DS for 20 minutes. First, we said :frown: and then :sad: :sad: :sad: and then we found him :explode: and then we lectured :grumble: :grumble: :grumble: and then we :flowerforyou: