Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,983 Member
    Options
    Totally go lift....one day of rest should really be sufficient!

It's okay to go lift, and lower the weights if you really can't hack it....that HAS to be better then "skipping it altogether".

I find, even after a de-load week, the DREAD that creeps in KNOWING the soreness is gonna come is sometimes WAY WORSE than just working right through a de-load week, with less weight, or just trying some TRX or something like that!

No lifting today....I just decided that I'll take a normal lunch hour, eat a normal salad, enjoy my SUPER-casual day (at the office) and head into the long weekend with a REFRESHED approach!
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Beeps, I'm the same and I will say that since menopause I am so much more "fluffy" than I used to be. Honestly, at least some of it is acceptance. I don't mean it as an excuse, I mean seriously, after menopause my bod is totally different. I certainly know that much of it is that I don't/can't do as much physical stuff due mostly to my heavy work/commute schedule but that's not the whole thing despite what others might say. I remember a friend's trainer fussing at her fluffiness after menopause and poo poo-ing her explanation. Then his wife "changed" and he was all apologetic to my friend. Mind you, both woman had perhaps an 18-20% fat comp and had been lifting for years. Totally fit. Mine is not the case, which is why I began lifting in the first place. I just have to remember that I'm 62 and that it's not as easy as it used to be nor do I recover as quickly as I used to.

And speaking of recover, my freaking shoulder is SORE! I'm not lifting much on off days at least not until my shoulders, lats, rotators etc get back into better shape. PT kicked my butt!

kiki, definitely go lift. As Beeps said, lower weights if you have to, but lift. And don't give yourself an out to go too light - or too heavy for that matter, but lift!
  • Ali_momof2
    Ali_momof2 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday everyone, I've been trying to respond to you guys all week, but everytime I sit down to I get interrupted.
    Beeps, I totally get where you're coming from, but keep in mind that you are beautiful & your arms are bad *kitten*, look how you rocked that white dress, I'm totally jealous.
    kiki, I have to agree with the ladies, push through it & lift, whenever I fel sore from a workout I feel better once I get warmed up. It feels better to get the muscles loose & moving again. Keep in mind to know the difference between soreness from a workout & injury.

I am happy to say I am done with Stage 1, I just finish up the AMRAP tonight & then on to figure out all these news exercises for Stage 2.

I'm taking the boys for ice cream tomorrow to celebrate the end of summer vacation, they are middle schooler on Monday. We had open how to meet the teacher on Wednesday, I was surprised to find out the they put my son & my nephew you in the same class. Their last school wouldn't put them in together. I going to assume they didn't realize they were cousins & that they live together (or they don't care). I hope they won't be a distraction to eachother. Their teacher's name cracked me up too, it was hard to keep a straight face when this little old lady introduced herself as DR. Tingle. :laugh: But I'm sure she has heard it all before.

Happy lifting everyone & have a good weekend :happy:
  • sheilaq14
    sheilaq14 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I forced myself to get through stage 2 A today, despite having very sore glutes from B. I am really glad I did, felt like a had a good and productive session. I actually really like the move I thought I would dread when looking ahead from Stage 1, the front squat/push press. Imagine, me doing a power move--makes me feel tough and strong! Still can't get parallel on static lunge move but doing my best. All my front and back squats are *kitten* to grass, but these one-legged moves are very difficult for me!

Lift on ladies, we got this!
  • kikiboniki
    kikiboniki Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the encouragement! I'm gonna go! Will update you later regarding how it went.
  • kikiboniki
    kikiboniki Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    ok, I did it! and it wasn't too bad, because the muscles groups I worked today are different from the sore ones.

I am still playing with things to figure out how much weight I can handle. On day one of workout a (stage one), I used a 20 lb barbell for squats set one, and 30 for the second set. Yesterday I had dear fiancee help me figure out how to use the squat rack, and today, I'm happy to say I did set one with the bar (so 45 pounds), and set 2 at 55 pounds (including bar)... I think I can do more, so next time I'll be adding more weights.
  • sheilaq14
    Options
    Nice job, and good for you for going!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,983 Member
    Options
    ok, I did it! and it wasn't too bad, because the muscles groups I worked today are different from the sore ones.

WOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
  • Ali_momof2
    Options

I am still playing with things to figure out how much weight I can handle. On day one of workout a (stage one), I used a 20 lb barbell for squats set one, and 30 for the second set. Yesterday I had dear fiancee help me figure out how to use the squat rack, and today, I'm happy to say I did set one with the bar (so 45 pounds), and set 2 at 55 pounds (including bar)... I think I can do more, so next time I'll be adding more weights.

I love finding out I can lift more than I thought I could, doesn't that feel good. Keep it up, you are doing great.
  • Ali_momof2
    Options
    I actually really like the move I thought I would dread when looking ahead from Stage 1, the front squat/push press. Imagine, me doing a power move--makes me feel tough and strong!

I'm excited and nervous to try this one. Are you guys starting out with the squat bar or something lighter?
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I actually really like the move I thought I would dread when looking ahead from Stage 1, the front squat/push press. Imagine, me doing a power move--makes me feel tough and strong!

I'm excited and nervous to try this one. Are you guys starting out with the squat bar or something lighter?

I used the straight "curl" bars first. I could only do 25# to start. It was easier to lift too, not so unwieldy as the big oly bar.
  • sheilaq14
    Options
    I am using a standard bb (17 lbs) and a couple plates, did 22lb today. The 45 lb bar is too much for me to press.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    sorry I haven't checked in. still sick, still miserable. Went to the dr. today. It's an honest to goodness sinus infection confirmed with exray and bloodwork. Hoping I'm up and running again in a couple of days. ALso, I was weighed there today and I call BS. There is no way I'm over 150! My clothes still fit perfectly from 140. WTH?! This is why I don't weigh myself ever. The scale lies. I much rather go by fit and feel. However, I will go to six flags this week and decimate the guess your weight/age booth lol

Will read through comments I promise.

adding: I forgot who mentioned scales, but I threw mine out a long time ago :) Best decision I ever made. YOu hear everyone with their scale drama? Simple answer, get rid of the scale. It's one thing to say "hmm this is a little tight, or gee, I have a little extra blub in this area" PLEASE DO NOT let the scale define you. We are SO past that.
  • samntha14
    Options

That's how you get it done. THere's a lot of trial and error in the beginning. I know some people get bored with stage one, but I loved it because it really taught me the fundamentals.
  • samntha14
    Options

I started with 50% of my back squat weight which was the bar by itself to start at the time.
  • enaliba
    enaliba Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I am also almost done with stage 1. Two years ago I got through stage 4 just after my first born was one year old. Now my second born is one year old and I have the goal to finish stage 7 this time. I am glad I found this group!
  • Ali_momof2
    Options
    Welcome enaliba, lets get things done together.

Thank you ladies, its good to have a idea if where to start. We have one of those curling bars, I'll give that a go.

Sam I hope you feel better soon & screw that scale at the dr, they always weigh me fully clothes with shoes they barley give me a chance to put my purse down & it normally mid day after I ate & I gotta pee. I'm a scale person ( I know I hate it :sad: ) and even I ignore the scale at the dr.
  • sunshinelively
    sunshinelively Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Hey peeps haven't checked in w this group in awhile but great to see all the progress and validation of struggles. Welcome to newcomers!

Sue legal your PT sounds brutal, but glad you got a diagnosis and recovery plan, much better than there's nothing we can do, eh?

Beeps I hear you on the muffin top- i call it my iceberg of belly fat because I keep hoping it will melt on it's own. I've re-committed for the nth time to diet and cals. You're doing great - being in your 40s is a really tough time body wise, I gained and lost a bunch of times, it's like you have to change your entire way of eating. Don't know if you have any interest in nutritarian info, but it did help ^me a lot in my late 40s, PM ^me if you want.

Cowgirl you've been kicking *kitten* congrats on getting up the momentum!

Pudding - are you jumping to 7 or forging thru 6 next?

I know I'm prolly missing a lot of updates, so I'll have to read thru the thread more later.

Started stage 5 this week and it feels quite a bit better than stage 3 did, although moving up to weights you can only lift 4x is a bit challenging logistically. At times ithink it would be great to have a lifting partner, but at the same time realize how hard would it be to find someone who is female, goes to my gym, and wants to work through this specific program. Not a great chance of that.
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Geez, where have I been? :huh:

Sam, I hope you're feeling better today! :flowerforyou:

I made a Vanilla Cream Cheese Pound Cake with Vanilla Cream Cheese Glaze last night :love: :love: :love:

Got my lifting done today. Been doing well with my new calorie deficit this week. Only AMRAPs left for Stage 5 :drinker:
  • Pudding1980
    Pudding1980 Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Runz, I am drooling just at the name of that delish dessert! I just did AMRAPs for stage 5 last night; I haven't bothered with them since stage 1 as I can already see my progress, but yesterday was the last day my gym was open and a bunch of the equipment was already moved to the new location. I will post my numbers in the stage 5 thread. I am sore today!

So this morning I hit the new gym to check things out and just did a quick half hour of cardio. I tried a lateral cross trainer and I loved it! It was almost fun ;) I may try the step mills next time, and then punish myself with the Jacob ladder. It looks really hard.

5 days binge free now...I am hoping to make it a month.

And yes, I am skipping over stage 6. Fat loss is my goal but I will likely go back to NROLFW eventually and try it.