Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• upsaluki
    upsaluki Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Hi new here. I ran week 3 day 1 of rundouble 5k210k. Covered 5.49 miles. I'm this guy on Strava if anyone would like to add me. http://www.strava.com/athletes/6882504
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    This is me on Strava: strava.com/athletes/5374384
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Ceci_O_K wrote: »
    No running or riding for me lately- my head cold developed into a chest cold and my sinuses are plugged. :disappointed: Hoping I'll be better by Saturday!

Hope you are feeling better and manage to get out on your bike this weekend.
    upsaluki wrote: »
    Hi new here. I ran week 3 day 1 of rundouble 5k210k. Covered 5.49 miles. I'm this guy on Strava if anyone would like to add me. http://www.strava.com/athletes/6882504

Welcome to the group! Good luck with your running.
    I'm finally in taper mode for the marathon! Saturday I did my longest run ever: 21 miles at 9:10 avg pace. I felt great during the entire run. Not so great when I stopped running. Every muscle in my legs ached. I had to walk around for a while to get my legs to calm down. Now I feel very confident about hitting 3:50 or maybe a few minutes less for the marathon.

Great run, I hope your sore throat doesn't develop into anything worse, that's the last thing you and your wife need at the minute. Enjoy your taper, is your marathon next week?
    PaytraB wrote: »
    I ran 10K today! It took me 1:20 to complete and I ran 5K+3K+2K. The first 8K were in the 7:45-8:00/Km rate range; the last 2K were about 8:15/Km. In between the running segments, I walked for 4 minutes.

Well done! I think that was how long it took me to run my first 10k.
  • romyhorse
    Options
    No running or riding for me lately- my head cold developed into a chest cold and my sinuses are plugged. :disappointed: Hoping I'll be better by Saturday!

I'm finally in taper mode for the marathon! Saturday I did my longest run ever: 21 miles at 9:10 avg pace. I felt great during the entire run. Not so great when I stopped running. Every muscle in my legs ached. I had to walk around for a while to get my legs to calm down. Now I feel very confident about hitting 3:50 or maybe a few minutes less for the marathon.

Great run, I hope your sore throat doesn't develop into anything worse, that's the last thing you and your wife need at the minute. Enjoy your taper, is your marathon next week?
    I ran 10K today! It took me 1:20 to complete and I ran 5K+3K+2K. The first 8K were in the 7:45-8:00/Km rate range; the last 2K were about 8:15/Km. In between the running segments, I walked for 4 minutes.

• romyhorse
    Options

• ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Ceci, hope you are feeling better, do not rush your recovery, I have tried it in the past and my experience is that as I mature I need to be more careful, lest I do more damage.

Tim, hope your tapering goes well.

Terry, welcome to the group, I hope you have as much success here as you have had on the C25k journey you have had so far.

Everyone else, glad that your running is going well.

Just come back from a US roadtrip, eating out everyday added 8lbs to my waistline. Back on the wagon with more balanced eating. First run for 2 weeks, 3 mile easy run. It felt hard and slow, however, looking at the stats it was no better or worse than I was doing before the 2 week break. Feel can be so deceptive.

Hope your sessions go well and as always have fun.

Strava link http://www.strava.com/athletes/5654603
  • upsaluki
    Options
    ftrobbie wrote: »
    Ceci, hope you are feeling better, do not rush your recovery, I have tried it in the past and my experience is that as I mature I need to be more careful, lest I do more damage.

Tim, hope your tapering goes well.

Terry, welcome to the group, I hope you have as much success here as you have had on the C25k journey you have had so far.

Everyone else, glad that your running is going well.

Just come back from a US roadtrip, eating out everyday added 8lbs to my waistline. Back on the wagon with more balanced eating. First run for 2 weeks, 3 mile easy run. It felt hard and slow, however, looking at the stats it was no better or worse than I was doing before the 2 week break. Feel can be so deceptive.

Hope your sessions go well and as always have fun.

Strava link http://www.strava.com/athletes/5654603
    Good to see you're back on it. Thanks for adding me on Strava!
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    romyhorse wrote: »

Thanks! I'm feeling much better now. My wife is still sneezing & coughing a little but getting better. The marathon is this Saturday. I'm getting nervous!! I keep checking the weather forecast for Savannah. They keep lowering the morning temperature forecast, which is perfect! Now looking at 42°F at race time and clear skies. Love it!!
  • TowsonChuck
    TowsonChuck Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Just coming over from the C25k group (find these groups were great for accountability).

Finished week 1 of 10kTrainer from Zenlabs over the weekend. Clocking about 4.5miles per run. Starting up week 2 tonight. With Daylight savings it will probably be dark by the time I'm done my runs. Not looking forward to that.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Howdy upsaluki and TowsonChuck :)
    I've been struggling to keep up with my groups since MFP changed the forum's.. sorry ya'll!
    I've followed all those who put up their strava links, mine is http://www.strava.com/athletes/4010534

Sounds like things have been going well for everyone (overall)
    Good luck with your Marathon Tim!
    Robbie, feel is definitely deceptive but can be a good indicator.

I've been ticking along between 20 & nearly 30 miles a week. Some good runs, some not so and a lot of life interferences.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    Finally almost felt like running yesterday. Managed a mile (9:28 pace) with almost another mile walking. Raining today, but I'll try again tomorrow.

Because of the time change, my girls' bike group will now be doing a spin class on Thursday night instead of riding outside. I'll take it! Hoping to feel well enough to join this week, but not pushing it. I've had classes with this instructor, and she is tough! I won't even try if I'm still congested at all!

It's great to see everyone's progress and I'm loving the new Strava friends!
  • upsaluki
    Options
    I did week 3 day 2 of rundouble's 5210k today. I'm slowing my pace a little and just working on building up my base for a bit. had a little debacle regarding what looks good as a route in Strava's route builder and what works on the ground. Managed to work my way into a pretty good alternative though that should be good from both my office and home. Also, I voted today!

Ceci- Glad you're starting to feel better. One time I took a spin class at the Y and did not wear padded shorts for day one. Talk about a rude awakening!
    -
    taeliesyn- Looked like your last run on strava was great. Lot's of crowns and medals in the results. Is your name related to the Frank Lloyd Wright home at all? That is nearby and I want to check it out at some point.
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    First run of the 19 week plan for the HM on 15 March 2015. A nice and "easy" 4 miler. Calves are tired but everything else inside normal parameters. The plan is a modified coolrunning HM plan (12 weeks) with a gentle start given my recent 2 week break and using a marathon plan towards the end before the taper. I want my first HM to be really enjoyable. By continuing with the modified HM plan with marathon extension, if it starts going wrong, there is a lot of opportunity, 8 weeks, to just take it easier. I have an organised 10k race in 17 days time, just to experience corrals, pacing, standing around doing nothing ahead of next years HM. And 5 months ago, I couldn't do 5 minutes straight. Have fun everyone
  • TowsonChuck
    TowsonChuck Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Started Week10(3-15min runs) last night. Planned a new route. Which I never really gave thought to in C25k. It went really well, had to run in the dark thanks to Daylight savings time. Used a small flash light attached to my belt to illuminate the path in front of me. Worked well for the most part. Might need to pick up a few clip on strobes and high vis stuff.

But the new route worked pretty well, only had to stop at 2 lights for traffic. The back half of the run was mainly uphill gave me a good mental fight. Had to tell myself a few times to just shut up and do it. It took a little longer then the program to get back to the house. Ended up doing 5.1 miles in about 63 minutes. I ran a minute longer past the final 15 to make up for stopping at traffic.

Took a few minutes to reflect after the run and realized it is probably the furthest I have ran in one workout in my whole life. And this includes doing football/wrestling/track & field (shotput/discus no track events) in highschool. Feels good.

56278952.png
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    ftrobbie wrote: »
    First run of the 19 week plan for the HM on 15 March 2015. A nice and "easy" 4 miler. Calves are tired but everything else inside normal parameters. The plan is a modified coolrunning HM plan (12 weeks) with a gentle start given my recent 2 week break and using a marathon plan towards the end before the taper. I want my first HM to be really enjoyable. By continuing with the modified HM plan with marathon extension, if it starts going wrong, there is a lot of opportunity, 8 weeks, to just take it easier. I have an organised 10k race in 17 days time, just to experience corrals, pacing, standing around doing nothing ahead of next years HM. And 5 months ago, I couldn't do 5 minutes straight. Have fun everyone
    I'd be interested in seeing the details of this HM plan. I'm planning to start HM training after my 10k on November 22. My first HM won't be until April 12, 2015, so I will have plenty of time (20 weeks) to stretch out the training.

Isn't it great how 4 miles is "easy"?!
  • upsaluki
    Options
    @ftrobbie. It's awesome how fast you can progress with running isn't it? Looking forward to seeing how your 10k and HM races go. I'm just looking to do a 10k in March. I'm a little nervous arbout what the upcoming snow is going to do to my running progress.

@TowsonChuck nice work. My runs are getting longer. I'm thinking it might push me out the door early in the morning. I already get up at five, so I'm going to have to think long and hard about that.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    Started Week10(3-15min runs) last night. Planned a new route. Which I never really gave thought to in C25k. It went really well, had to run in the dark thanks to Daylight savings time. Used a small flash light attached to my belt to illuminate the path in front of me. Worked well for the most part. Might need to pick up a few clip on strobes and high vis stuff.

But the new route worked pretty well, only had to stop at 2 lights for traffic. The back half of the run was mainly uphill gave me a good mental fight. Had to tell myself a few times to just shut up and do it. It took a little longer then the program to get back to the house. Ended up doing 5.1 miles in about 63 minutes. I ran a minute longer past the final 15 to make up for stopping at traffic.

Took a few minutes to reflect after the run and realized it is probably the furthest I have ran in one workout in my whole life. And this includes doing football/wrestling/track & field (shotput/discus no track events) in highschool. Feels good.

Sounds like you had a great run!

I can't make myself run in the dark. No really good places near me for that. The one time I was out a little before daylight, I almost got hit by a car. I'm going to have to either run during my lunch break or change my schedule at work so I can get runs in before or after work. I guess there's always the dreaded treadmill or the tiny little indoor track at my gym (I think it's 14 times around to make 1 mile!)
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    I'd be interested in seeing the details of this HM plan. I'm planning to start HM training after my 10k on November 22. My first HM won't be until April 12, 2015, so I will have plenty of time (20 weeks) to stretch out the training.

Isn't it great how 4 miles is "easy"?!

Sent pm with details

I get amazed when I reflect on how far I went on my first C25k 20 minuter and how nervous I was because it was so far. C25k the 2nd time has had a transformative effect on me.

Have fun

• taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    @Ceci_O_K _ hope you get over your cold soon, it was good to see you'd had a little run. Spin class sounds like fun, not that I've ever done one.

@upsaluki - Good idea on slowing your pace a little, one motto/mantra I'm trying to put into my training is "train slower to run faster". Get through the program working on your base and speed will come naturally. I've never tried the route builder on Strava as I tend to run locally I just take streets and see how it works out when trying new routes. As for my name no relation at all. It's a mutation of a character name in SciFi/Fantasy series by Katherine Kerr. My memory failed the night I grabbed it for a character on a game and Taeliesyn is what I ended up with.

@ftrobbie You'll kick but in your HM 19 weeks is a great lead up, just make sure you've included a taper period :) Have fun with your 10k, the experience/corrals/etc is definitely something where experience can help.

@towsonChuck - Definitely get some Strobes/reflective stuff if you're going to be running in the dark. Safety first in those situations! Sounds like your run went well, it's great to hit a new milestone when running!

Monday night for me was what's become my Long Slow Run 19.5k in just under 2 hours. I'm hoping to eventually stretch this out to 2.5hrs but that won't be for a while yet. It was a good cruisy run, a few aches/niggles during the actual run but nothing lingering.

Last night was my group run stuff, everything went to plan this week and I was feeling good so had a little more push as well. 5k 'warmup' at 5k pace+1min. (This sits nicely in my McMillian easy run pace zone), then 4k at my predicted 10k (4:38 min/km) I crashed and burned in this last week, but this week hit it quite well and probably could have pushed out to 5k. I was feeling that good I did a 200m sprint after a little cooldown just to see what my speed is like... Approx 200m in 30 seconds. 2:35 pace. I'll take that!

Then it was the social group run, I decided to try and stick with the front of the pack and mostly did, the loop back nature we run (to keep everyone together) meant I did 7.3k on the 5k course. Most of the run was still in my easy run range with the end of the run dropping into Tempo zone.
  • upsaluki
    Options
    taeliesyn wrote: »
    @Ceci_O_K _ hope you get over your cold soon, it was good to see you'd had a little run. Spin class sounds like fun, not that I've ever done one.

@upsaluki - Good idea on slowing your pace a little, one motto/mantra I'm trying to put into my training is "train slower to run faster". Get through the program working on your base and speed will come naturally. I've never tried the route builder on Strava as I tend to run locally I just take streets and see how it works out when trying new routes. As for my name no relation at all. It's a mutation of a character name in SciFi/Fantasy series by Katherine Kerr. My memory failed the night I grabbed it for a character on a game and Taeliesyn is what I ended up with.

@ftrobbie You'll kick but in your HM 19 weeks is a great lead up, just make sure you've included a taper period :) Have fun with your 10k, the experience/corrals/etc is definitely something where experience can help.

@towsonChuck - Definitely get some Strobes/reflective stuff if you're going to be running in the dark. Safety first in those situations! Sounds like your run went well, it's great to hit a new milestone when running!

Monday night for me was what's become my Long Slow Run 19.5k in just under 2 hours. I'm hoping to eventually stretch this out to 2.5hrs but that won't be for a while yet. It was a good cruisy run, a few aches/niggles during the actual run but nothing lingering.

Last night was my group run stuff, everything went to plan this week and I was feeling good so had a little more push as well. 5k 'warmup' at 5k pace+1min. (This sits nicely in my McMillian easy run pace zone), then 4k at my predicted 10k (4:38 min/km) I crashed and burned in this last week, but this week hit it quite well and probably could have pushed out to 5k. I was feeling that good I did a 200m sprint after a little cooldown just to see what my speed is like... Approx 200m in 30 seconds. 2:35 pace. I'll take that!

Then it was the social group run, I decided to try and stick with the front of the pack and mostly did, the loop back nature we run (to keep everyone together) meant I did 7.3k on the 5k course. Most of the run was still in my easy run range with the end of the run dropping into Tempo zone.
    I was impressed looking at the group runstable on Strava. Is the McMillian stuff online. I'm hoping to use my heart rate monitor more, although 140-150 corresponded pretty well with an easy pace and no huffing and puffing.