Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• upsaluki
    upsaluki Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I also stick to my plan and then see where I'm at on the challenges, but it's one little extra bit of motivation and something fun to track. I pulled out some lined jogging pants I had, so I don't think I'll suffer from the same issues as yesterday. I just have to be smarter about gear. Once we get snow on the ground I'm not sure what I will do. Probably dreadmill it, although I do have something similar to yaktrax that I might test out. I like to cross country ski, but our snow isn't all that reliable here. I also have a 12 week 10k event training plan I want to use for an event in March. I'm not sure how to do fartleks intervals or hills on a dreadmill. Keep up the good work!
  • TowsonChuck
    TowsonChuck Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the advice.

FtRobbie, Thanks for the kind words, side note even though the pic says "July 2013" It's just the most representative pic I have. I didn't start getting healthy until January 2014, so all of my gains have been done in about 10 months (10 months of hard work, with some highs and lows).

Daily Check In
    Finished Week 3 Day 2 last night. Put in 4.94 Miles. Slightly increasing with each run.

Same as everyone else the cold is coming here now in the Mid Atlantic. I don't have it as bad as Upsaluki. Looking at a 38 degree run on Friday.

But very much need to get some better jogging pants, gloves and headgear. I have a waterproof softshell jacket that should fair nicely though.

Not looking forward to being forced on the dreadmill. It's just too boring.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I managed 40 minutes on the dreadmill yesterday, with some walking intervals. It seemed like much longer and only totaled 3 miles! My gym also has an indoor track, but it is usually packed with walkers and I have trouble keeping up with the number of laps. It takes 14 laps to make a mile!
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I started on the dreadmill and moved outdoors due to aircon issues never looked back, well until now.

Ceci re counting laps, keep 14 small coins in your pocket and move one from one pocket to the other every lap. When there are no more left move the whole lot back and start again. You then only need to count the miles or just look at the time.

Upsaluki, re hills and fartleks. This came from Kelly Holmes, 2004 double gold Olympic medal winner who I was lucky enough to have a single training session with. Set the dreadmill to the sprint speed you want. Support your weight on the siderails, start running in the air and lower yourself on. To get off do a sidesplit jump off of the belt onto the stationary deck. It does work you just need to start at lower speeds to perfect the technique before going flat out. It's not as good as outside but it is fairly effective. Same goes for setting an incline for hills. You can injure yourself so if in any doubts don't do it. Normally people cannot change the speed while running at those intensities, so the jumping on and off works.

TowsonChuck, you have done even better, well done.

My heart does go out to you guys with the cold conditions you get and the fact that you will have to workout indoors. Here, snow not too much, ice some but we just get driving cold rain. However I have just got a delivery of compression tops, thermal gloves and beanies. Looking forward to being warm on the inside and wet on the outside.

Whilst we were in California, there was some drizzle, the locals were thankful for the rain, I don't put a coat on for that at home. We were walking around in t shirts, the locals gave us some strange looks. It all depends on your terms of reference.

Have fun everyone.
  • upsaluki
    Options
    My old hometown on Lake Superior had 22 inches of snow in the last two days, so I'm just thankful I have some clear ground for a little while longer. As long as I can gear up correctly the cold won't be so bad; I just don't want to have a bad slip and fall once we get a lot of snow and ice here.

Robbie, I prefer cold over rain any time. Especially now that I use a lot of electronics while I'm running.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    Robbie- good idea. I'm thinking about making a beaded bracelet that will allow me to move the beads. Will have to figure out how to keep them from moving on their own.

It's supposed to be back in the 40's or 50's here next week- that should be perfect for running outside. I can't handle the 20's though!

My girls bike group is doing spin classes through the winter since we can't ride outside as much. I did my first one last night. Tough, but fun!

My other issue this week is that my smart phone died and I'm using an older phone until the new one gets here, so no apps. :-(
  • upsaluki
    Options
    Did week 5 day 1 of 5k210k today. Started out with a little snow on the side of the road. By the time I got home everything was white. Ran 5.8 miles. Week 5 is two 30 minute run intervals with a three minute walk in the middle. Next week is 60 straight minutes.
  • upsaluki
    Options
    Ceci_O_K wrote: »
    Robbie- good idea. I'm thinking about making a beaded bracelet that will allow me to move the beads. Will have to figure out how to keep them from moving on their own.

It's supposed to be back in the 40's or 50's here next week- that should be perfect for running outside. I can't handle the 20's though!

My girls bike group is doing spin classes through the winter since we can't ride outside as much. I did my first one last night. Tough, but fun!

My other issue this week is that my smart phone died and I'm using an older phone until the new one gets here, so no apps. :-(

I'm not quite up to running untethered yet. I have to have my tunes and run double app.

• Just_Ceci
    Options
    I got my new phone yesterday, so was able to use Strava/Rundouble, but didn't have any music yet. I ran 3.25 miles in 33:21, 10:15 pace.

Working on getting everything the way I want it with all the apps and music. No time for anything today and the weather is looking bad for tomorrow. We will see!
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Saturday I headed off to parkrun and I was actually awarded parkrunner of the month for my local parkrun (For October). Seeing as I had missed my Friday run, and hadn't got there early enough to try and make up km's I just went out hard. Came home dead on 22 minutes for the 5k WHOO HOOO!
    This morning I went out on my local trails to test out some loops and get a few extra km's in. It was a crap run, legs hurt, felt like throwing up a few times, so there was probably more walking/hiking than running. Original hope was for between 10 & 16km's, that got canned and I was home after a little over 6. Still runs like that will happen. Means I've fallen short of my target for the week, but it's still my second biggest mileage week ever.
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    I started going untethered a while back, it is not as hard as you think. ;) . In the UK many organized runs ban the use of headphones (health and safety (nanny state)), so I toughed it out, it's just different, I find solutions to problems in and outside work when running untethered. Try it you might enjoy it.

Ceci these might work for you https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NA3sYLOhx5A or search for ranger paracord beads on youtube. Designed to count off paces.

taeliesyn - from your posts it sounds as though it is something you thoroughly deserve. Sometimes the best decision is just to stop and take stock. Well done on getting your second biggest mileage for the week.

Day6 of week 2 never happened for me. Big hangover from a Friday night of excess food and alcohol. I know it was bad because I resorted to drugs on Saturday morning. However went and run the 10k course for next weekend this afternoon, feel tired but put in a decent time for me given the ups and downs and the fact I still feel slightly off. I also reffed 3 U8 rugby matches this morning. I managed to cover 4 miles on a 40m by 22m pitch in 60 minutes. How, I do not know.

Have fun, having a decent rest before hitting the roads midweek again next week and then taking it easy before the 10k on Sunday. I am going along to a friends 40th on Saturday, dreading that just because of Sunday.

• taeliesyn
    Options
    Upsaluki, like Robbie i've learnt to go untethered (to music at least) for me it does change the running experience. Some runs I do with music now, some I don't. Obviously if running with people I go without the tunes.

Ceci, it's both fun and annoying setting up a new phone isn't it? I think that's partly why I'm still on an older iPhone 4. Nice run you had :)

Bad Robbie! bad bad Robbie! Only joking, you gotta live life. I'm actually surprised I didn't have a hangover Sunday. Good runs though, and getting to know your course before your race is invaluable... A 40th the night before the race.... that is gonna be hard dude. Good luck :D
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    Headed out for my LSR, ticked along at a comfortable pace and by about 10k I was feeling strong, so I decided to make it a little longer than last week. I ended up with 23km of running at around an average pace of 6:08, and then a 1k cooldown walk which was still at decent pace.Happy with how I felt during the run and I wasn't trashed at the end. Tired yes, trashed not even close. :)
  • upsaluki
    Options
    Uggh..My kids did not want to get out the door today. Pretty much ate up all of my running time. It's 7 F and 1 degree with wind chill. I finally have my gear sorted now I'm a little worried about footing. Now that we have snow on the ground I need to dig out the Yaktrax. I'm going to take another crack at getting a run in at lunch.
  • TowsonChuck
    TowsonChuck Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Wow. You guys cover some serious miles.

I "finished" week 3 (3x17min runs) on Friday after work. It was rather cold, and I over layered. Got all hot and sweaty so I took off the beanie in the middle of the 3rd leg, that was a mistake, cold air hit my wet head. Within 2 minutes, I was feeling pretty ill. Stomach was starting to wrench a bit. Made it through the run, but it was uncomfortable, and the most miserable run I had so far.

Contemplating just hitting the treadmill today for my run. Weather is suppose a high in low 30's all week, which means by the times I can run it will be close to the mid 20's. It was a real crummy feeling on Friday. May just move indoors, and go outdoors when the weather is reasonable.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    ftrobbie wrote: »
    Ceci these might work for you https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NA3sYLOhx5A or search for ranger paracord beads on youtube. Designed to count off paces.

This is all kinds of awesome! Just what I was looking for! Thanks!!

• Just_Ceci
    Options
    I managed 30 minutes on my mother-in-law's treadmill yesterday. It wasn't exactly working right, kept slowing down at random times. So, this was more like running intervals. Also the treadmill won't go any faster than 6 mph. I covered 2 miles, if that part is registering right!

I got my music uploaded to my phone, will probably try the indoor track this afternoon, depending on how many people are walking around it. (I hate dodging traffic!) Our high today is only supposed to be about 27 with a wind chill in the teens. Too cold for this Southeast Texas girl!

Good job, guys!

• ftrobbie
    Options
    Drink, don't drink, drink, don't drink :\ . What makes it worse is that we have a child free night. :D Dilemmas! And I can be bad to the core. >:)

Calves stiff this morning although have loosened up a bit during the day.

Ceci/ upsaluki, those are scary temps especially with snow on the ground. You have my sympathy. Hope you guys, if you go out, stay safe.

taeliesyn, you seem to be dropping out HM plus runs weekly. Good on you, it's interesting to read how you change your training plan on the hoof with how you are feeling. Your LSR certainly appears to make up for your disappointment last week.

TowsonChuck, at least you found out now. When trying new kit I normally save it for my shortest runs or if in a programme even put in a special kit run. There is nothing worse than running whilst something is not behaving. You are doing great, the continuous long peices will not be too far off. Keep going outside if you can.
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    Ceci/upsaluki - I've gotta echo Robbie, those are scary temps! be careful and keep safe.

Chuck, If you want to see really serious miles head over to the Long Distance Runner group, my long run of 24k is what some of them do several times as their medium run! Give it time and you'll build up the distances too if you want to.

Robbie, hard choice there! Hope you don't end up too hungover if you drink ;)
    I'm actually surprised my LSR has made up for my horrible run on Sunday. Goes to show 1 day recovery can at times make a difference.
    As I'm not actually training for anything and thus following my own program/plan it does give a little freedom to change the run without the concern of messing up the program. Earlier this year I was running along and actually feeling extremely good, but then worked out my 4 day rolling mileage (I'd had a big weekend) and pulled the pin on my run pretty much then and there, as I was going to blow the 10% increase rule well and truly out of the water.
    Most runs I head out with a plan, but I'm not scared to change it depending on how my body is responding. Normally though I will push to hit at least 8km's. 5-8k seems to be where I manage to outrun any tightness/niggles etc. If I'm still suffering after 8k I'll either cut short or take a walk. If I'm feeling strong around the half way and it's not going to send my numbers into stupid territory then I may extend like I did last night.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    I went to the gym yesterday, determined to run on the indoor track. I made it 5 miles (70 laps). It wasn't too painful. I completed the 5 miles in 50:14. I wish I could run that fast outside with hills! Someday.

Robbie, I made a modified version of the paracord beads with 7 beads, so across and back was 1 mile. Perfect! (Enjoy a few beers with your friends, but don't go overboard!)

I just registered for a 10k that is this Saturday, even though there's an 80% chance of rain. At least the temp will be in the 40's!