Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Replies

• upsaluki
    upsaluki Posts: 553 Member
    Ceci_O_K wrote: »
    Ah, I <3 reading these updates, although all the sickness needs to go away!

I had a great 5 mile run on Saturday at my National Park. Finished in 51:08 according to RunDouble, so 10:13 pace.

Today's run was 5k around my neighborhood, finished in 30:24, so 9:46 pace.

That marks the end of week 4 of the 20 week plan. Time is flying! I am so excited that today marks the Winter Solstice and the days will start to get longer now!
    I'm looking forward to more daylight too. Even if we just get a few extra minutes at a time. Twenty weeks is quite the commitment. Mine is only 12. Which plan are you following?
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    My Jantastic commitment for the first month is to run 4 times a week. I've only run twice in the past 3 weeks so maybe I am being optimistic! I'm away to get on my running gear and get in a quick run before I have to pick my daughter up from her friend's (and have a glass or 2 of mulled wine and some Christmas cake with friend's mum!)
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    upsaluki wrote: »

I had a great 5 mile run on Saturday at my National Park. Finished in 51:08 according to RunDouble, so 10:13 pace.

That marks the end of week 4 of the 20 week plan. Time is flying! I am so excited that today marks the Winter Solstice and the days will start to get longer now!
    I'm looking forward to more daylight too. Even if we just get a few extra minutes at a time. Twenty weeks is quite the commitment. Mine is only 12. Which plan are you following?

I decided to go with a 20 week plan basically because there were 20 weeks after my last official 10k run until my 1/2. I'm using this half plan.

I had only been running 2 or 3 times a week before, so jumping to 4 times a week has been a challenge, especially since I'm not getting any bicycle time in! In 2 more weeks, I will be running 5 days a week.
    vaxzacmr4bes.gif

• AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Just did a short run, inspired by the updates here.

Tweaking stuff still, had a side stitch which I ran through, and more ponderings, but nothing takes away from the fact that it was my first run in the snow. Love the sound of squeaking whiteness under the running shoes. Now I'm drinking tea to heat up the chest region again to avoid getting the beginnings of a cold.
    AglaeaC wrote: »
    Ask Ceci how many parties she has/will attend(ed)... :) Busy woman.

Ah, 40degC! Ugh that is hot. Australia? New Zealand? Enjoy the runs! And do drink coffee, no point in having a headache if you can prevent it. And fight the flu, no more sickies needed here.

To hear about my awesome parties, etc., send me a friend request. If you are not my friend already, why not?

LOL :wink: Friends are good.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    So after my HM training was rudely interrupted by a nasty cold I've rescheduled onto a 10Km performance improvement plan until February, then I'll move onto a Marathon plan with the intent to make a decision about progress in late April. The event I'm aiming for has a half, marathon and 50Km Ultra on the same day so I may go for either the half or the marathon.

Three days into the 10Km plan and I'm suffering from a lack of training; 8 weeks with ITB Syndrome and then 3 weeks with the cold. The 10Km plan is intended to get my weekly mileage up to a reasonable start point for the marathon plan.

Nine Ks yesterday and four Ks tonight have been hard work already. I'm sure it'll come back, particularly as I've decided to add some turbo sessions to the mix to mitigate the risk of a recurrence of the ITB. Nice hard 30Km VO2Max session on Saturday evening.
  • Just_Ceci
    I don't mind running in the rain. I don't mind running in the cold. I really don't like being cold and wet, so I ran at the gym today. 5 miles, yes 70 laps, in 50:35. I got some strange looks from people, but had nice conversations with a few people too. (Did I mention that my gym is specifically for people over 50 and I'm one of the youngest members?)
  • upsaluki
    upsaluki wrote: »

I decided to go with a 20 week plan basically because there were 20 weeks after my last official 10k run until my 1/2. I'm using this half plan.

I had only been running 2 or 3 times a week before, so jumping to 4 times a week has been a challenge, especially since I'm not getting any bicycle time in! In 2 more weeks, I will be running 5 days a week.
    vaxzacmr4bes.gif

That's a cool site. I might use one of their plans if I make the leap to HM. Thanks!

• romyhorse
    edited December 2014
    Two short runs in 2 days, it is amazing what a Fitbit Challenge can motivate you to do! Not that I am competitive or anything, I just don't like losing ;)
  • AglaeaC
    MM, of course it will come back. I hope you stay ITB free in the future, sounds like nasty business.

Ceci, sounds like a cool place. 70 laps is beyond words to me, though!

upsaluki, when was it that you graduated C25K again? I've been away from running for a while, even though I did that in June, so in that sense I'm behind you right now, but if you feel like talking running from more of a newbie perspective, you have at least one person in the group to do that with yours truly.

romyhorse, it's funny how we can get these ideas and then keep going because of a streak of some kind. I'm not overly competitive, but the "don't like losing" part is very familiar. Do you run with your firefighter husband or by yourself mostly?

An update of my own is that towards the end of my walk of normal speed I got the same side stitch. I'm wondering whether I don't breathe deep enough, in other words don't oxygenate the blood sufficiently, because I catch myself with fairly shallow breaths from time to time.

How do you breathe when running? I mean where does the breath end (yes it sounds ridiculous, but a deep breath ends in the lower belly so to speak).
  • Just_Ceci
    romyhorse wrote: »
    Two short runs in 2 days, it is amazing what a Fitbit Challenge can motivate you to do! Not that I am competitive or anything, I just don't like losing ;)

We do whatever it takes to get us moving, right?!
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse, it's funny how we can get these ideas and then keep going because of a streak of some kind. I'm not overly competitive, but the "don't like losing" part is very familiar. Do you run with your firefighter husband or by yourself mostly?

An update of my own is that towards the end of my walk of normal speed I got the same side stitch. I'm wondering whether I don't breathe deep enough, in other words don't oxygenate the blood sufficiently, because I catch myself with fairly shallow breaths from time to time.

How do you breathe when running? I mean where does the breath end (yes it sounds ridiculous, but a deep breath ends in the lower belly so to speak).

I run by myself, my husband is way too competitive! He always has to run faster/further/lift more weights/do more workouts! The funny thing is he has been doing it wrong all these years, I had to show him proper squat technique (and the rest), he has been doing it wrong for 25 years, and when I started running he decided he was going to do ultras (rolls eyes)!

When I run I am not conscious of how I am breathing, I am usually too busy gasping for breath, lol! But when I do get a stitch I do do deep belly breaths, it is supposed to stretch out the muscles and help. Does it work? Not sure, I don't get a stitch that often, but I always do it just in case it does help.
  • AglaeaC
    romyhorse wrote: »

I run by myself, my husband is way too competitive! He always has to run faster/further/lift more weights/do more workouts! The funny thing is he has been doing it wrong all these years, I had to show him proper squat technique (and the rest), he has been doing it wrong for 25 years, and when I started running he decided he was going to do ultras (rolls eyes)!

When I run I am not conscious of how I am breathing, I am usually too busy gasping for breath, lol! But when I do get a stitch I do do deep belly breaths, it is supposed to stretch out the muscles and help. Does it work? Not sure, I don't get a stitch that often, but I always do it just in case it does help.

Heh, great guy. No pressure either, ultra huh... At least you were allowed to correct his form, some men are too proud to handle that.

I try the deep breaths too and also pushing all finger tips of the right hands almost in under the ribs. By then it's already too far gone and it will take a while when/if the pain goes away during running. Usually I'm too impatient and keep running albeit slower. I will make my breathing the next project of awareness during running, this can't go on.
  • upsaluki
    edited December 2014
    MM, of course it will come back. I hope you stay ITB free in the future, sounds like nasty business.

Ceci, sounds like a cool place. 70 laps is beyond words to me, though!

upsaluki, when was it that you graduated C25K again? I've been away from running for a while, even though I did that in June, so in that sense I'm behind you right now, but if you feel like talking running from more of a newbie perspective, you have at least one person in the group to do that with yours truly.

10/14/14 for the C25k Took me until 12/13/14 to finish the six week 5 to 10K program. Now I'm on a 12 week 10K event training program. Definitely just beginning.

Oh Yeah, I did a four mile fartlek run today. Definitely had me breathing harder than usual.

• ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    I echo Ceci's comments, whatever it takes to get you motivated. Sometimes it is about getting things to fit, see later.

upsaluki, the following is also pretty good if you are looking for challenging plans http://runkeeper.com/search/fitness-classes/running

I am so glad that my body can largely take the abuse I give it, no stitches, no knee pain and the weather no deep snow or truly sub freezing temperatures. Being here makes me realise how lucky I am. Some of you guys (girls) have it tough but I am glad everyone appears to be settling into their own routine.

I got 2 runs done tonight, running to and from the UK blood transfusion service, there faster than the way back. All then ruined by beer and pizza, too tired and/or lazy to do anything else. Expect BW to increase tomorrow, well it is the week of Christmas.

If I don't get a chance to post again, I wish you all a very happy christmas and hope the big fat fella brings you what you want and desire. Have fun
  • romyhorse
    Robbie, as I posted on my feed, I am looking at the next 2 weeks as a mini bulk ;) I'm doing some weight lifting to make use of those extra calories, lol. Have a good Christmas everyone.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Merry Christmas everyone
    I'm hoping I'll be up for a run tomorrow, I think I've nearly gotten over my damn cold.

Good to see everyone keeping up with their runs. :)
  • Just_Ceci
    Hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas!

I really need to run today, but it's 32 degrees with a feels like temp of 27 and doesn't look like it will get any warmer. There's also a good chance of snow today! (BTW- my gym is closed today :disappointed: ) We will see if I can talk myself into a run today. If not, I'll head out after breakfast and gifts in the morning. My much younger sister in law says she will run with me tomorrow. She is faster than me, but I can run farther.
  • AglaeaC
    edited December 2014
    Merry Christmas to you!

taeliesyn, glad to hear you're almost over the cold!

Ceci, here it's -2°C or 28.4°F, wind chill included -9°C or 15.8°F. Perhaps you can talk yourself into a shorter run?

Short version: I dealt with the side stitch and ran much further than the previous couple of runs. Yay!

I headed out and while I normally try to compare me to myself only (not the "Even if you're slow you're winning everyone on the couch" thing, seems a tad arrogant to me), today I truly was the fastest runner - and walker. Nobody went past me. I was slow like a turtle stampeding through peanut butter (quote courtesy of Pinterest), but still The Fastest, which amused me greatly.

It started with a side stitch again, so I told myself to go slower without resorting to walking. It helped and my breathing stabilised, until a realisation hit me like a freight train. I have tried to run with ego, simple as that. I've set expectations of running faster than I can deliver under all the circumstances, and without exception have ended up with the side stitch.

So, mentally I went back to C25K week 3 where I had hit a wall and where likitisplit recommended I slow down. My head was shaking at myself when I proceeded to voice what I keep writing all over the place to couchers right now. And it became a nice experience (considering I've never run through snow this fluffy before nor in snow-filled wind).
  • upsaluki
    I'm taking today off since I started coming down with a head cold. Now that I have two boys in daycare they are hard to avoid. Hoping to get back out tomorrow.

MERRY CHRISTMAS ALL!
  • ftrobbie
    Aglaea - glad you have stumbled into a solution for you. I understand the ego thing, totally. I frequently have people zoom past me and I have the dilemma, should I just stop because I am so slow. It passes because I convince myself they are doing an interval session and I am doing an easy pace one. But why is everyone else always doing interval sessions? :D C25k the 2nd time was a revelation to me, the whole slow down thing became like a mantra. Hopefully you can build up some stamina/ resistance to side stitches and then get faster again.

Was planning to be out today but in reality can't be bothered after being in work today. My nose is the closest I am getting to running today, now waiting until Boxing Day for my next run. Ho Ho Ho.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Have a merry Christmas everyone!

Today makes 5 weeks without running. Last week I took a short hike (2.8 miles) and was sore, but in a different area. No deep hip pain any more, the pain is more in the main hip flexor - the psoas muscle. I'm still riding the stationary bike and doing upper body strength training. A week from today I go back to my doctor and we'll see if I'm ready for some short walk/run intervals.
  • Just_Ceci
    Hope you are back at it soon, Tim!

I got in a good 5 mile run today in 49:

Unfortunately, I ate a bunch of Christmas goodies the rest of the day!

I am travelling tomorrow to visit my side of the family. Plan to take the bike and running gear with me!
  • ftrobbie
    edited December 2014
    Tim, I echo Ceci's thoughts, it's not fun being laid up with injury. Hope it sorts itself out soon.

Ceci, looks like you had a good little session there. You are serious taking bike and running gear away. Enjoy yourself.

Got out for an even easy paced session. It was remarkably consistent pace wise and HR was well controlled too. I took some new flocked compression gear out for a spin. Temperature just above freezing, still too cold at the start, but worked out ok. The only big issue was that I got very cold at the end on the cool down. So I expect it was wicking really well as well as insulating during the run.

However your holiday pans out, I hope you enjoy it.
  • taeliesyn
    Hope you're up and running again soon Tim!
    Robbie, good run. I don't think you can ever fully avoid the cold at the start/finish unless you're shedding/re-applying layers as you go.
    Good run Ceci, hope you get a run/ride in on your travels :)
    Hop you get over the head cold quickly upsaluki! I'm nearly over mine.
    AglaeaC - Glad you've figured things out to beat your stitch! Onwards and upwards from here.

I did the Christmas day parkrun yesterday. Still not completely over my cold as the run was harder than it should have been, but it was much better than last Saturday. Hopefully tomorrows run will be another improvement and that means I can start working on my regular runs and start building my mileage again.
  • ftrobbie
    taeliesyn, nice to see you up and about. Your loss of conditioning will soon be recovered, so you should be back up and trailblazing again for us all.

There was a smattering of snow last night, just 2 inches. I went out for a run on it this morning. Comparing yesterday to today, it was noticeable how much harder it was to run on just 2 inches of snow, I was slower, had a shorter run but the HR was up. But for once I got the layering right, I found the Goldilocks zone. My admiration for you peeps has gone up, given that you go running in far worse conditions.

Just 7km to go to get to the Strava 160km for December, should get it nailed tomorrow.

Have fun and safe running (biking, Ceci).

• taeliesyn
    Still not 100% robbie, but I am feeling human again :)
    Good work on your run.... snow that's not something I'm going to have to deal with anytime soon, I imagine it would be similar to running on soft sand though.
    I'm sure you'll hit your 160 for the month.

Another Saturday another parkrun, again harder than it should have been, although this time it felt more like my legs just weren't used to the work. I'm both looking forward to and dreading my first 'long' run next week, as I can't seem to find a proper rhythm for an easy run at the moment.
  • AglaeaC
    I feel like cheerleading for a while so here goes.

Tim, hope you get the news you want when you see your doctor.

Ceci, hope you get a bike ride soon. Enjoy your trip.

ftrobbie, that's exactly the thing with my cooldowns, too, I can't do them for too long in cold wheather or I start freezing. Technical clothes are a miracle, though! You can do 7 km.

taeliesyn, feeling human can be pure luxury after a bad cold, glad you're on the mend. If your run is hard, my bet is it's because of the illness still. Work it back up slowly if you have to (distance-wise I mean), rather than try to go all in, too much at once.

Snow is interesting, because currently I still know what hides underneath. Once temperatures start fluctuating around freezing, it could be more snow or ice, so the conditions are great for now. Hope it sticks. I was due for a run yesterday but my body isn't up for it right now (silly hormonal cycle). Hope I'm more evened out tomorrow so I can stretch my legs for a while.
  • romyhorse
    Went out for a run with my husband, son and dog in the woods today, icy and snowy but path was only slippery in a few places. Went up a really steep hill, my husband and son ran up it but I decided to walk, and still kept pace with them as it was so steep!
  • Just_Ceci
    It seems that I brought winter South with me! At least I got to run before the storm hit. 6.23 miles in 63:44, on part of the route where I will run my 1/2 in April. Flat rural route.

This was my first time to run in my hometown since that one day in 7th grade when I decided running wasn't my thing.
  • ftrobbie
    160km for the month nailed. 10 miler this morning before the roads clogged up. Spent most of the run on the roadway, running towards traffic. The roadway had less ice and snow on it. The footpaths (pavements, sidewalks) were treacherous in places. Looking at the Strava pace chart I could see where I had been in the road way or on a footpath, the pace difference is very noticeable. Thermally judged it just right, thermal compression top plus thermal top, thermal compression tights with another compression pair on top. Probably perspired just a little too much, only noticed when I got back and the skin layers were very damp. 10 mile efforts do not scare me now as they did only 2 months ago. Week 9 of the 19 week HM programme starts tomorrow, now upto running 6 days a week.

taeliesyn, you are probably being just too hard on yourself. You might be better off going really easy on the first 2/3rds of your long run and pushing in the last 1/3rd. As a master of adapting training plans on the go, I am sure that you will figure something out. Perhaps the answer is not to have an easy run at all, and just do some fartlek and see where that takes you. Have fun but don't push yourself too hard. I expect you are too competitive.

AglaeaC, let us know how your next run goes. It is good to listen to your body, too many people plough on regardless. I have been guilty of that in the past. Living vicariously is ok.

Romy, well done on keeping up with the males in your family, especially given the issue you have with hills.

Have fun and be safe.