Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• missyjane824
    missyjane824 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I believe this is my first time posting here!

I finally got around to joining a gym as what I have for equipment at home is really lacking and I have no room for the equipment I feel I would need. Loving the gym so far and feel like I can really make some progress now. I didn't intend for me to be a New Years resolutioner but the timing is certainly right. Although I have a fitbit and still find it motivating I'm moving more and more away from wanting to do any cardio. I got on a treadmill the other day and didn't make it 5 minutes.

Today was super productive and I will be feeling it tomorrow. Started with a short walk down to the farmers market. Only thing I got was some gluten free focaccia bread. I used the no gluten (I'm not gluten intolerant, it just looked really good) as an excuse to eat the whole thing. It wasn't terribly large but I could have stuck with just half and been fine. I had been soaking beans overnight to make baked beans which was next on the list. While the beans were cooking I snuck off to the gym to work legs and abs. I thought it went pretty well. Back home and I started back on my month (or so) long remodel project - refinish hardwood floors in bedroom and new paint for the walls. The floor has been officially done for about a week. Yesterday was painting and a bit of patchwork day. Today just needed to touch up a few spots but did manage to take several trips up and down the ladder (more leg work). Got the trim back on and started the, move everything back in, process. Hope to have that done tomorrow. In between there somewhere the beans finished baking and I pressure canned them. There's always a bit left over so I needed to give them a taste and they were tasty. The rest of the night was cleanup and relaxing. It feels like I should have way more than 11,000 steps for the day.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    So I went to combat.... did a few side kicks..... then my glute went CLUNK :s

12 hours later and it really hurts. Devastated. I can't even blame combat - I have been having trouble with all the squats in Stronglifts. They haven't felt good for weeks. I was hoping to push past it.... apparently not. Miserable :'(
  • jamaicanlady
    jamaicanlady Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies!

Welcome missy!

jo, ouch! I almost can feel it in my own glutes. Sorry that happened to you.

So I completed my week back at the gym. I'm actually doing a 3 day split now which consists of Lower-Upper-Lower in week 1 and then Upper-Lower-Upper in week 2 and so on. I'd rather a 4 day split but just can't find that extra day based on my schedule so this'll have to do. It was ok. I prefer NROL but I think I need to take a break from full body workouts in order to build the maximum amount of muscle I can right now.

My "bulk" didn't actually work this week, I ended up losing weight. I think the problem may be that I haven't correctly figured out my TDEE so I'm adding 50 calories per day this coming week and see how it goes.

On a personal note, the first few days of living with my husband were not what I expected. I would even venture to say I was miserable. Its a huge adjustment for me, I've either always lived by myself or with my parents. Also, I felt like he changed a little bit and got more stubborn. So yesterday I decided to talk him about it. Come to find out he was feeling a little bit overwhelmed too, having never really lived so far from home (I'm close to where my parents are, he is a bit far from his). I'm really glad we had the talk because since then, things have been much much better and I'm feeling quite happy right now.

Sorry about the ramble, just felt like I needed to get that off my chest. Happy Sunday you all!
  • Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Welcome missy

Dna kayaking sounds amazing

Jo get better soon

I had a good workout - probably should have upped my squats more. I went biking Friday and skiing sat so planned to go light on the legs today. But I felt good.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,960 Member
    Options
    A "clunk"?!?!? What did you do, jo?

January REfresh is here, for me! I am aiming for four-days of splits, one day of high volume weightlifting (full body) and one day of cardio.

My calories are going to be slimmer than normal, but not terribly low-low. Skip breakfast, protein shake for lunch, normal dinner (with as little starch as I can stand) and ten glasses of water per day.

More sleep.

Will take measurements at January end to see what 2015 is REALLY going to be all about.

Go lift heavy things, ladies. BOOM!
  • Ali_momof2
    Ali_momof2 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, welcome Missy

Jo, I hope its not serious.

Dna, that kayaking sounds so good and beautiful.

JL, I'm glad you guys talked it out. You'll get into a routine and you will have a new normal.

So starting at stage7 after not working out for nearly 2 weeks was probably not the best idea. I am feeling it but at leat I don't feel sick.
    I just put in my 2 weeks notice today. I nervous and scared and excited. I'm ready for my next step. I am being positive that this will work out well.

Keep lifting heavy :D (*)
  • lovetowrite73
    lovetowrite73 Posts: 1,244 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Hello all! Happy New Year!

I'm back after being gone for 2 weeks. I had fully planned on going to the gym while I was at my mom's and that just didn't happen. lol

Happy belated birthday, Jo! Congrats on the new job, Ali! And congratulations, JL! You were an absolutely gorgeous bride. I'm glad you and the new hubby were able to talk out your issues.

To all who are sick, I hope you get better soon! There's a really nasty bug going around. Also, Jo, I hope your leg gets better soon as well. That doesn't sound good at all.

And welcome to all the newcomers!!

So, 2 weeks ago on 12/22, I did Stage 7 workout 1. It was horrid. I had slept maybe 4 hours the night before. I could not complete the 4th set. My head started to pound and I felt very light-headed so I stopped. Today was Stage 7W2. MUCH better! I had ample sleep last night and just hit it. I started with only the OLY bar for the incline bench press and it was way too easy. I have to admit I was a little scared of doing the press so that's why I started so low. I will up the weight to 55 on Friday. It was so odd but I was able to get lower than than the regular squats while doing the DB squats with heels raised. I don't know if it was because my heels were raised or because the weight was way lower but it was all good! And I was able to do all 4 sets with only 30-second rests in between!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Sleep is seriously serious!!

Better sleep = better life!!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Today I did my fourth split day workout...so,now I know what "the big four" are in this routine: squats (day one - of course I sub WHT for these!), chest (day 2), deadlifts (day 3) and pull-ups (day 4). With other strength moves sprinkled in throughout.

I will domthe split days on M W Th and F.

Tu is my full-body strength class.

Sat is cardio. Sun is rest.

That is my January (lifting) plan.

BOOM!
  • redlipsticklyfe
    redlipsticklyfe Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    @jamaicanlady‌ You were an absolutely beautiful bride! Your arms look amazing! And that DRESS!!!! I swoon.
    @Ali_momof2‌ hope you feel better soon and congrats on the new job!
    @Beeps2011‌ That schedule sounds challenging and fun!
    @jo_marnes‌ I hope you feel better!

Happy New Year ladies!I hope you all had a great holiday season. I started the new year right. I'm officially down 13 lbs and 3 lbs away from my goal weight. Or at least my starter goal weight. Since I'm more concerned with how I look than how much I weigh my goal weight is pretty flexible. I'm excited to get back to Supercharged. I'm taking progress photos when I hit day 365 of logging. I'm not sure if I'm going to share them or if I'm going to postpone taking photos until after the 12 week challenge is over but either way I'm taking progress pictures and I'm nervous about it. I can definitely see positive changes in my body but I'm terrified of documenting them and then being disappointed or something. I don't know it sounds pretty silly when I say it. In non lifting news my best friend and I are moving in together at the end of the month and I'm excited for that.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Post those pics! Go ahead, black out your head or whatever, but PLEaSe post them!

Sooooooooo MOTIVATIONAL (to me).

I want me some "progress pics" from redlipstick....who is with me?!?!
  • Ali_momof2
    Ali_momof2 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies!

I'm with you Beeps, post those pics Red!! Your progress sounds great and we want to see.

I'm feeling good today (except for the DOMS). There has been a positive attitude change with this new job and it has rubbed off on my BF too. I hope this positive change stays, it's good for the family. Its been a great start to the new year so far. :D
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    BOOM!

My lifting is done for the day!
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    JL, oh my gosh! You are stunning! Those arms <3 ......
    For what it's worth, my hubs and I found it somewhat difficult to adjust to being married too. I lived with my parents until we married- he had been on his own since 18. But we figured it out. And we love being together. Good luck on the bulk!
    - Ali, congrats on the job!!!!
    - Jo, oh no!!! I hope it's nothing serious.
    - Beeps, I like your plan!
    - Yes! Post pics!(Someday I will post some!)
    - dna, kayaking sounds amazing!
    - Everyone else, keep up the great work!
    - I've still got some type of upper respiratory junk, but I'm slowly getting better. Aiming for 4 lifts and one day of cardio this week!
  • Pudding1980
    Pudding1980 Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Happy new year all. I am so far behind and the only thing I remember from the previous pages of posts is how GORGEOUS Jamaica looked on her wedding day! Just stunning. Married life is a big change, often a hard one. One day at a time.

I started Hypertrophy 1 today, four sets of 6 reps, and it went really well. I am sore and I like it. My eating has been hard for me to reign in since the holidays - I didn't go too crazy or gain more than a couple of pounds but even that bit of overindulging has been hard for me to get over and done with - and last night DH and I had a fight and I totally calmed myself down by bingeing. So stupid. We made up, everything is fine, but my TOM is imminent and I'm starving and tired and just want to stuff my face :P
  • bepeejaye
    bepeejaye Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Happy new Year all!!
    Coming down my Zumba high...aahhh.....
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    I haven't posted here yet but I'm working my way in with this group too. :smile:

Last night I did my SL workout B. Went okay since I recently decreased weights except on deadlift. Managed 155 with that one, which is my max so far but will do 165 next time. I might increase OHP next time too because it wasn't difficult even with varying grip position. Squat felt heavy at 125 but was on a 9 day work week basically, so that many days of standing shifts can make me a little tired.

Today I rested. Tomorrow is cardio. I want to catch a zumba class some day. Haven't done one in years but miss it. Will have to watch the gym's schedule and see when I can make it to one.
  • Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Welcome ember

I second beeps in wanting pictures.
    If you can't post them promise at least to take them especially back and arms. You can't see your back and it has changed.

I lifted Bp with accessory lifts today but it stunk. I was in a gym lacking 2.5 lb plates so I ended up doing very light lifts. My shoulder is still weak and I am having a hard time activating my pecs. Anyone interested in bench press technique should read Lyle McDonald - just google the name and bench press.
    The second frustration was having to claw my way onto a bench. The gym had two squat racks which were empty. When I plan squats they are always full. But today the ten benches were all in use. Seriously I politely asked to work in and was told wait till I am done. I did some bodyweight exercises until the guy was done. Then did my first set. Then walked around all ten benches looking for the two lb plates. I didn't find any but came back to the bench to find my bag moved and someone using the bench. I was only gone thirty seconds!!!
    Anyway January will be over soon
    I hope you guys had good workouts
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    HI!
    Sorry for being MIA. I've just been busy and unenthused.
    Christmas was very nice, and we spent the New Year in Wisconsin. Why Wisconsin? So my husband could race the Tuscobia Ultra, a 150 mile bike race (They also so various lengths of bike, ski, and run) IN THE SNOW on a fatbike. Why? because he can. Sadly, after coming in 5th in a field of 40 with only serious professionals coming in ahead of him (I'm really proud) He was wrecked. I drove a the way home, 1200 miles and 18 driving hours. With rest stops it took me over 20 hours. I went tot work Monday, but exhaustion is cumulative, so I took today off to recover.

Haven't been to the gym in two weeks, but I'm heading in for a Zumba class tonight and cleaning the rest of today. It's how I pump myself up to get back on track. Fun and motivating. I'm even going to track my food for a while. With holidays and traveling I have eaten like complete CRAP, hence, I feel like complete crap. You are what you eat.

Welcome to any new people.
    Jamaica, you are a BEAUTIFUL bride.
    Happy lifting ladies!!
  • lovetowrite73
    lovetowrite73 Posts: 1,244 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon!

Um, pmag, I would have seriously RIPPED into the person who moved my bag - right in the middle of his or her set. You don't touch somebody else's stuff like that! That is rude as *kitten*. I haven't run into any issues with the resolutioners, yet, but I'm at the gym at 5 a.m. It's still me and the other regulars in there at that time.

I didn't go to the gym this morning. It was 17 degrees out and I just didn't want to get from under my covers. lol I still have Friday.