Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    ANNE, my only knowledge comes from being the forum eldest!!! I knocked dear MARIE out of her position when I joined the group, but she agreed to be my new kid sister if I behaved! Actually, I'm heading toward my 88th birthday in June, and I think if I sound worldly, it's sheer length of life and experience! I graduated as a silversmith and jeweler, though I preferred hammering away at rounds of sterling silver on the anvil heads I learned to make. I wonder if my progeny will enjoy using the coffee sets, water pitchers, sugar bowls and creamers I made, or will they be stuck away in some closet because stainless steel objects are easier to clean??? I have tried my hand at many things, including a poodle grooming business at home while steering my high school age kids through the dangers of the drug culture by remaining home to keep an eye on them. I ran the office of my religious institution for a number of years, receiving no benefits for retirement, as was typical in those years for non-profit groups. I guess I liked to try new things throughout my life to prevent boredom, and it certainly has kept me involved in a number of areas. My suspicion is each and every person in this group has had an interesting and instructive life and I have been learning much from every one of us! And that includes you!
    I'm now off to sleep, having spent several hours wiping out a severe piece of malware that tried to infect my computer. Busy day tomorrow, with more leg treatments for my lymphedema and lab tests and MRI for Mike. I think we keep the medical field afloat here in South Florida!
    <3 Buzz
  • Blueharebell1
    Options
    BUZZ, just a quick reply because I've just got up at 6:39 and I'm wandering about in my usual woozy self feeding Tabitha Daisy and me our breakfasts. It's to say thank you from my nosey self for your reply. That's a very interesting life you've led! I've never MET a silversmith before. You'll always find certain people who will treasure your creations. I for one don't relish cleaning all the heavy brass objects I inherited, but I love the look when they sparkle in the (what's that word) ah yes, SUN. I'm in my 80th year and I can honestly say I've, on the whole, thoroughly enjoyed my life (even the bad moments created a certain sense of humour) and I think people who manage to work at and do the things they love are the least discontented and happiest of all. You are right, all the good folk in this group are very interesting. Well I've prattled on enough, so all the best for you and Mike today and many thanks again for taking the time.......ANNE.
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    it certainly nice to have company around in our old age. And all of these young folks here treat us so nicely. I certainly enjoy them all. especially my big sis, buzz and my kid sister Anne. we three are the oldest of the Sneakers.
    Gotta run and get dressed for going for amust do haircut

marie
  • Blueharebell1
    Options
    MARIE !!! - when you put it like that, we 3 have about 252 years between us! Heavens!!!
    - I've never had a sister! Thanks for the honour! ANNE
  • Blueharebell1
    Options
    Thought you folks might be interested in what happened to me, yesterday, early evening. Just skip if not of course. Earlier I mentioned I had moved all my furniture. My youngest son & DIL arrived and I knew I'd get a lecture, so I shot into the bathroom whilst they discovered the new look. "Your moms moved the furniture again" I heard DIL say. I came out and to take their minds off me and furniture moving I mentioned that the blind at the long plain glass bathroom window was so old (it was here when I arrived 26 years ago) and so gappy that I darent get a bath with the light on in case the folks next door had an unsavoury glimpse of Anne's wrinkly body! I just use the dim light through the open doorway. You wouldn't BELIEVE the haste the window was measured, I was bundled in the car, driven to the hardware store to choose a nice plantation type blind, and it's now waiting to be installed by youngest son next Saturday. So, if you want something done!! You learn new tricks even at our age!!
    ANNE
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Hi gals,

I had a long post and just lost it on my tablet. I guess I must hit something and the whole thing disappears. Live and Learn.

We left on Friday and it wasn't a great drive up with the snow and roads. We picked Kristina up at the train station and we all went to their local pub for a fish fry. It was nice to have the 4 of us together again, it has been a long time. Fraser was out West (B.C.) with his buddies for a few days so we kept Kathy company in the new house.

Our weekend was good with the girls and Dave. Kathy and Fraser's house is lovely and big and I can see them there for many years to come. Kathy has popped again since I last saw her but she looks good but is tired all the time, expected.

Dave and I gave them some extra money to buy a new dishwasher, theirs is very loud and they can use only one cycle. So they can use the money for that or something else they need.

On Saturday Dave painted the nursery and the girls and myself went through all the baby clothes. She has clothes from age newborn to age 5. These clothes were given to her by Fraser's sister. So by the time we got done she had 3 bins of clothes labelled and ready to go. We took the rest to Goodwill after taking Kristina back to the bus station so she could get home. She had some things scheduled she had to get back to.

On Sunday, Kathy and I went to Aqua Fit class which she joined. It was a good workout for 45 min and 15min stretching. After that we went back to her house and got packed and started home. The roads were not the best. Dave ended up shoveling Kathy's driveway 4 times while we were there. We saw a few accidents along the way but made it home safe and sound.

Nothing but liquids today, all day, getting ready for my procedure tomorrow. I am missing my coffee and of course food. :\

Shirley - Jamaica is looking really good right now!
    Ontario, Canada

• pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    Bob ~ I'll see you on Pluto although if I understand the physics we will be floating more than standing with feet on the ground! The moon doesn't look too bad either and is closer to home so that might be a better option. LOL

Anne ~ Your post regarding my roast beef meal yesterday had me thinking.... oh yes, I do have a bag of emergency roast potatoes in the freezer!! When it came to the crunch I popped a couple in the oven and thoroughly enjoyed them although felt stuffed afterwards because I rarely eat spuds these days. Your lack of blind in the bathroom reminded me of an experience a couple of years ago when I stepped out of the downstairs shower to discover a telephone engineer just the other side of my frosted window looking for me!! He made a hasty retreat when he realised my state of undress, poor man!

Buzz ~ Your busy day will hopefully be a good one in improving your legs and learning more about what's happening to Mike. You're so right about the smell of laundry dried outside as I'm currently sitting next to today's washing that came in from the garden late today and is hanging on an airer before being transferred to a cupboard. Thanks for letting us know the latest on possible changes to MFP because these things can sometimes happen so quickly groups don't have time to plan a new location together. It seems we don't have to worry.

Shirley ~ These procedures are never pleasant but so worth a bit of discomfort for peace of mind and I hope you can get through the day without to many grumbles in the tummy! Will be thinking of you tomorrow.

Marie ~ Today the temperature rose to a balmy 8c or approximately 47f and my walk on the moors had me feeling so warm I undid my coat and removed my fleece hat! A long way to go to reach your dizzy heights but we're getting there AND the days are getting longer.... hooray!

On my morning walk I recorded a short video of the area I cover and will try to upload on to You Tube if I can remember how. It's been another glorious day but I spent the afternoon visiting an 85 year old neighbour recovering from a stroke. We had a cup of tea and chat while she fed George a variety of biscuits when she thought I wasn't looking! I don't mind because he seems to be great therapy and I see her blossom as he gives her all his attention.... I wonder why?? My weekly swim with friends has been postponed until Thursday so I'll have a chance to begin tidying the garden while the good weather continues. The honey extractor I borrowed from the local apiary is still sitting looking at me too and because we didn't get much honey this year it's a job I can do in an hour or so.... maybe tomorrow evening.

Time to do some washing up and settle down for the evening.
    Jackie

• NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your kind words and support. This is a wonderful and “unique” group of communicative, compassionate and inspiring people.

Anne – Such nice compliments…you sound like my wife with regards to putting things together into a book. But I might put things into a journal form just to share with others.

Buzz – You say “neat personality” and it reminds me of last week when I tried to explain this group to my wife and the fact that everyone has a different personality that has molded itself into a comforting singular bond. As for your son, I can only relay my perspective.

I’m relatively easily handled when not pushed. My wife knows how to “handle” me – in other words she knows how I think. She has NEVER indicated that she thought I was morbidly obese. When I would express disgust with myself, she would say – “I don’t care if you weighed 500 lbs., I just want you around for many years.” I don’t think she knows how close she came to getting her wish (about the 500 lbs)...LOL. When she saw my before/after photos she was stunned and said she never saw me like that…of course, I wasn’t that blind.

When I was first told about Lose It & MFP – it was within the context of a general discussion. My friend was telling me how cool these applications were. It was information I stored for later reference not something I jumped on. If you were to show your son my photos etc., I would not do it in a way where it was clear you were trying to motivate “him”. It shouldn’t be about him. IMHO. You might simply be telling a story about group members and throw me into the mix. You might not even want to do it in one step. Smart people have a way of accessing all available information when the time is right. This is just my quick input, without really knowing all the dynamics.

Jacki – “Stunning” now that is a word I don’t often hear. Thank you so much. I had held off on buying a “quality tailored” suit for the longest time. As for the denims…I had not owned a pair in 15 years until recently. I had the size 60” shorts (my summer uniform) and that’s about it. You’re right about the initial goals. That is why I had to reset several times. My focus was just on getting under 300 at first.

Marie – Liked the food/photography compliment...but the “And you know you are not bad looking either” was hilarious. My kind of humor. I think God knew what he was doing when he inspired you to start all of this. And yes, I might do a journal outlining my journey. It continues to be a pleasure to know you and everyone else.

Lin – Thanks for all your cheerleading and those quotes you have posted. As for feeling better I assume you are referencing the fact that I no longer have to stop every two seconds to breathe and can walk up a single flight of stairs without gasping. LOL

Sandy – I hear ya on the “short on time.” The weather has been bad here and it was hard getting to the gym. Schools closed. Unplowed streets. I spent the balance of the morning working on a church flier for a Fish Fry during lent. I agree that everyone can use inspiration no matter how much they have to lose. I pity smaller individuals that struggle with weight.

Guess I’ll close by saying again – THANK YOU!

I’ll close with two of my favorite quotes carrying a similar message. They were both in my head back in 2013.

"“It is not death that a man should fear, but he should fear never beginning to live.” - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations"

“I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living or get busy dying.” - Andy Dufresne (Shawshank Redemption)

73641431.png
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    Options
    Hi all. Back to work. No news on Honey's test results. Have a safe week!
    Phoebe
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    I posted a share picture of Grayson 3 weeks birthday with his pretty dimples on Facebook for those on facebook. on my time line
    Marie
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,093 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday!! :D Robby has been picked up, laundry is done and I am exhausted. Robby only slept 1/2 hour this morning and 45 minutes this afternoon. I didn't get any nap today so really sleepy. I am going to go and ride my bike now before I get too comfy. Bryanna and I might go to a meeting tonight, I am waiting to hear from her but if she says she is tired that would be okay with me but if she wants to go, I will certainly take her.

I think Bob hit the nail on the head when describing our group. This is a wonderful and “unique” group of communicative, compassionate and inspiring people. I love that no one judges anyone here and that we are here for each other no matter what.

I better get on that bike in case I do go to that meeting tonight.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • Blueharebell1
    Options
    BOB, BOB, BOB, listen to your wife! Consider writing a book! And don't forget to add the humorous things that have happened along the way. Remember the girl at the gym with the humongous jug of water? That was so funny! I have another saying for you that I like and you have obviously drawn upon. WHERE THERE'S A WILL THERE'S A WAY. Just think, you could end up on PBS during one of their campaigns! The skies the limit now after achieving what you have!
    ANNE.
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Bob ~ Each time you tell us more about your achievements I'm left in awe not only at your single minded approach to losing weight but your sense of humour and realism. Although I only had a goal to lose 26 lbs gained after retirement and relaxing into not having to leave home before 7 am and often not getting home until after 10 pm, therefore becoming a couch potato, I had a similar conversation with a friend telling me about the virtues of MFP. I remember my words "I'm not interested if I have to weigh and log everything" but blow me, not only was I soon doing just that I felt empowered and in total control of my weight. We're all saying it individually.... you're an inspiration and so is your wife for not nagging or pushing you to lose weight but instead letting you make the decision when the time was right.

In an earlier post I promised a link to the video I shot during this morning's stroll with George. Hopefully this will work. It's noisy due to the blowing wind but then there's not much else to hear other than a few singing birds! It's a little shakey because I didn't have a tripod and was ready to fall over once I'd turned full circle whilst looking through the viewfinder!!

http://youtu.be/R8Yq_WIEaHs

Jackie
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Jackie I saw the video and it reminded me of the land up North where we have our cottage in Northern Ontario. Lots of hills and rocks.

George is such a cutie and enjoyed his pee on the rocks. LOL

Shirley
  • Blueharebell1
    Options
    JACKIE, thank you for a taste of "home". Your video is not of the Yorkshire dales and moors but similar, and I remember Bodmin moor so well. George is one lucky doggy.
    Anne
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Anne & Jackie –

You guys are too funny. I shared your posts & video with the Mrs. Now I’ll never hear the end of the “book” conversation. Can’t believe you remember the water jug…as for PBS – Masterpiece Theater – not so much; maybe Sesame Street.

Loved the video. It really gave me a feel for the area. I’ve never been to the UK…but who knows? My wife’s BFF is headed there this summer to visit family or it’s a wedding or – hey – I’m a guy & only pay attention half the time. LOL – but they are going. That’s my kind of dog...looks very loveable.
    Bob :)
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,093 Member
    Options
    Jackie how beautiful and the scenery is just as beautiful as George!!
  • fancyladyJeri
    fancyladyJeri Posts: 1,315 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Hello All,

Buzz - Wow - is there any thing you can't do? Clap, clap, cheers to you b

Sandy - busy tiring day for you. Hugs for a great grandma.

Bob - you are so inspiring. Way to go.

Jackie - love your picture. Very very nice.

Shirley - good luck Jamaica must indeed be looking good.

Anne - love your comments - so glad you joined us.

Marie - thank you for starting this great group.

Some of you are older than me but you'd never know it. You are all so much fun and are forever young despite the darn calendar. I say I am never going to get old -- that is a state of mind. I will age but that is different than getting old.

I am pooped, walking all over Vegas today. I am up 24,269 steps today. That's nothing to Barbie but a huge accomplishment to me.

See you tomorrow.

Jeri
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,141 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Hello friends – such wonderful posts again today. It was a long day; my week’s schedule has already been changed. Gotta laugh right? Treading along going through some details this morning including getting out a few valentines to some of my local friends who still prefer a real card rather than something electronic and after I got the mail I had two large envelopes stuffed full of legal papers from the estate attorney. Guess what I did for the remainder of the afternoon? I have signed the two documents as indicated and those are ready to put back in the mail. I need to read over the duties and timeline once again. I’ll get to it!

I received two envelopes from the nursing home where my dad resided. One was as anticipated, final accounting of this bill and a refund. The other envelope contained handwritten notes and signatures from many, many, many people and departments at the nursing home and even a check as a memorial gift. So I got somewhat teary once again which stopped my forward progress. I didn’t expect that.

Once again I have tried to keep in touch with a friend and have called her repeatedly for months on end. She is polite enough to speak to me most of the time and once in a while she sends an email. We’re down to seeing one another perhaps one or two times a year. I have no idea what’s up. I’ve tried but I am tired of trying. I called her last night and talked to her husband for a while as I was told she had just left the house. Okay. So today I get an IM on Facebook---you wanted to talk? She was at home for the day. I said nope, that’s fine, enjoy your day off. She sent back a cartoon cat sitting in a basket. Okay, this stings a little bit and I am disappointed but onward. Mark her as a casual friend rather than a close friend and move on. We use to be close and go on fun excursions.

Looking for the next chapter in my life and for now, I have very good and caring friends here. Thank you all…………

I adored the video Jackie!

Marie, I cannot find a new picture on Facebook…..on your timeline?

Bob, you are an incredible addition to our group and I want you to know I appreciate you. Thank you sir!!

Buzz, I hope the day went well and you have promising information about DH.

Shirley, oh my friend, I had to do that last year, and the upper scope, and the capsule endoscopy so I do appreciate the nasty prep work. Hope all goes well for you tomorrow. I’ll be thinking of you.

iSandi, for gosh sakes, people are so changeable but I’m glad a more reasonable solution came into play before there was property destruction!

Jeri – how’s Vegas?

Patsy – I am sorry you do not receive thank-you’s for the gifts you provide. You are a treasure to keep giving gifts when you’re not acknowledged but I guess that’s love……….

Anne – oh my gosh, way to distract the family AND get something you need. You’re quite the surprising lady indeed.

Phoebe – I am sorry you didn’t get any test results on Honey. Stay safe out there.

Time to move along. I’ve been sitting too long! Hugs. Good evening. Anyone watch Castle? I hope to stay awake long enough to see that this evening.

Lin

• delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Adore George, but where's Heathcliff?
    Indeed this is a special group, and we are so lucky to find (or be found by) our newest additions! Thanks, BOB, for your sage suggestions!
    My cursor is traveling for a change, so I'll sign off!
    <3 Buzz