Exercise and Weight Loss Challenges

Replies

• gaylebodine
    gaylebodine Posts: 1,689 Member
    Charlie, you take such good care of your body! You are an inspiration. I have foot and knee pain these days and my back has been painful the last week as well. Need to budget for a chiropractic visit. Not sure what set it off but now I'm having pain in my legs at night (during the day too). I need to get myself to senior yoga too! Know that stretching makes a big difference.
  • gaylebodine
    My body is feeling better today, most of the pain gone. I have no idea why it got so bad or why it disappeared either. Grateful though! How are you guys doing? Have a great week!
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Hi Gayle,

Glad you are feeling better. These mysteries happen. Often my mattress or my shoes make me sore.

My foot is better but it completely threw me off the wagon this weekend. And guests for dinner did not help. Didn't log, didn't watch, didn't exercise, didn't care! Ate what I wanted, carbs. Scales show it!

However, I found a pair of jeans in my closets (bought a long time ago but never worn) and they fit really well! And I know they didn't before. So back on the wagon! I am so pleased. They are the old fashioned jeans, non stretch denim, waistband at my waist, feel a bit like a girdle when you put them on. No pulling down in the back when I sit. Love them, need to hem. They probably look ridiculously old fashion being high rise, but I don't care! Makes me feel young again. And since I have a 11" difference between my waist and hips, they give me shape where the lower hip riders just don't.

If vanity gets me going again, so be it!
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,356 Member
    I think the hi-rise jeans are back, Marney! I've seen them in the stores! Kudos for the NSV!
  • grandmothercharlie
    I think the hi-rise jeans are back, Marney! I've seen them in the stores! Kudos for the NSV!
  • gaylebodine
    I bought myself a pair of 16W pants and hate the way they give me pumber's butt when I sit. Plus they are skinny/stretch kind and not really comfortable. I've been looking for the Gloria Vanderbilt jeans which fit the good old fashioned way. Just looked it up and may be able to find at Kohl's.
  • dasher602014
    Hey, for once, I kept an item long enough to come back in style! Only jeans, I think. And I really hate stretch denim.
  • grandmothercharlie
    I don't even have a pair of jeans right now. I have bought what I have to keep looking good for work. Then I have a couple of pairs of yoga pants which I wear to work out and for casual. Also have a pair of leggings for exercise, too.

I'm going to hold off on the jeans as long as I can. Hate to spend $$$ on stuff I hope to "under" grow!
  • gaylebodine
    I finally got under 181 this morning: 180.5 and it has been such a struggle. I've been feeling anxious (OK scared) lately because my X is having financial issues and suddenly I can't depend on him for help with my son. I've had a nightmare about "no security" but I am also challenging myself as an artist this year as well. I'm spending more time in the studio, putting myself out on my sites and joining a local art guild that shows work each month. I've always been an artist but I guess you could say I've been more of a hobbyist. Going pro is really challenging for me. I've been on the straight and narrow, in terms of this diet, since July, except for planned holiday deviations, but this week it has been really tough. I've wanted to repeat old patterns: eating when I'm feeling stressed. Last night it was especially hard but thought of you and did not eat calories beyond the plan. Thanks for keeping me accountable!
  • dasher602014
    I am sorry you are having such a trying time of it Gayle. Yes, we are here 'watching' but you are doing the work! So kudos for staying on track this week. And good for you about the weight loss. You are almost in the next decade.

Stress relief is so hard. I have found that if I tunnel into my fabrics and patterns and think about what I want to make, it helps a bit. Not to make anything, but just to rearrange things in my world and get into my creative space. Exercise too helps a lot but I find that hard in winter. In summer, I go for long walks.

Your artwork is so very very beautiful that I am sure that some monetary reward will come of it too. Just hard to make that leap from hobby to pro.

Hope things work out quickly for your ex so he can continue to be there financially for your son.
  • merrygrannie
    merrygrannie Posts: 220 Member
    Gayle, it is so easy to turn to food when under stress.It doesn't solve anything and makes us feel worse when we do it.You are doing so good and have been such a great inspiration to the group.
    I hope you ex wiil be able to keep finacially stable and your endeavor to go pro is a success.
  • gaylebodine
    Thanks so much Marney! My son graduates from high school in May and that is when child support stops so was planning somewhat for that but this other thing with my X was a surprise. Yikes. Thanks for the positive words about my work. Like your fabrics and patterns I get so much from making the pieces but marketing and being more visible is new. This year is definitely about many changes in my life and I know that spirit is guiding me on the right path.
  • grandmothercharlie
    Gayle: Your diary yesterday and your meal plan for today is perfect! It is good that you are planning your day in advance. That really helps stay on track when life is making you crazy! Obviously, look at the loss! You are doing so well!

There is nothing worse than "waiting for the other shoe to drop." I hope it doesn't come to that, but you are a strong, talented woman and you will find a way if it does. In the meantime, vent all you want to us. That's what we are here for.
  • gaylebodine
    Thanks so much Charlie and All! I often plan for the day then update it as the day proceeds. Today my plan was pretty good (I'm not buying any more pot pies for awhile) but ended up eating rice cakes instead of my omelet. Not over calories but don't like to have more carbs than protein. Well, every day can't be perfect.
  • grandmothercharlie
    [img]http://www.freesmileys.org/custom/image/brown%5E_%5Everdana%5E_%5E0%5E_%5E0%5E_%5EAre you out there?%5E_%5E.gif[/img]Don't think I have seen a day with no posting since I came here! Everyone okay? No one was here yesterday at all! Even when I don't post, I like to see what you are doing!

I've been taking advantage of some of the classes our wellness program holds. Tuesday I went to a chair exercise class. I didn't go the first week because I thought it might be too easy. Wrong! It is an aerobics class that uses the chair as a prop. Like you stand up and sit down in place of squats (which I can't do), you do rows by picking up the chair. You do scissor kicks and frog kicks, etc. Or you just get up and ignore the chair in other moves. Unfortunately, I forgot about the class and wore a wool turtleneck. Only last 1/2 of the hour long class.

Then yesterday went to a guided meditation class. I liked the other meditation classes more and would prefer to make up my own visual scenarios and affirmations, but the instructor does have a very, very calming voice and is almost hypnotic! As stress relief is my big thing right now, I'll go back.

I had been having a lot of cravings and was inching up my calories lately, so I have made a real effort this week to eat less. Period. Just less. Of course, to do that, I have gotten rid of any night time coffee treat or Skinny Cow candy bars. A little popcorn, but I figure that is good fiber. If I totally ignore anything sweet, I also don't crave it. I'm not a huge sweets lover anyway so I can do it. It is funny though, the better I eat the better sweets taste. When I eat too much and poorly, sweets taste awful! Go figure!

Did I tell you I had my rheumatologist appt. last week? She was impressed and verified that I am in remission with my RA (I have always said that, but she never did). I will keep taking the Plaquenil though. I see my family dr. next week and my cardiologist and cardiac electrophysiologist along with the device check tech the following week.

The only thing I have to be concerned about is my kidneys. Creatinine test came back at high borderline normal and the GFR came back lower than normal range. I am on so many drugs that are bad for my kidneys. I will see what we can do. Don't need that problem.

I am on limited fluids, but maybe I will need to up them and maybe cut back on protein. Want to nip in the bud! Any thoughts?
  • grandmothercharlie
    edited February 2015
    I'll start:

1/2/15: 155.5 lbs.
    1/9/15: 159.5 lbs.
    1/16/15: 154.5 lbs.
    1/23/15: 154
    1/30/15: 153.5
    2/6/15: 151.5
    2/13/15: 151.5

No movement of the scale. Actually, up some Wednesday and Thursday, but back today. I don't see me being able to make that 140 goal by Easter. I'm long past the 2-pound-a-week-loss-mode. I knew it would be a stretch anyway. I will be happy with 145. Even that will be tough. Seem to average .5 a week now. (Heck, I'm really back to where I was for end of our New Years Challenge).

In the meantime, have a Happy Valentine's Day tomorrow my friends!

animated-valentines-day-image-0005.gifanimated-valentines-day-image-0005.gifanimated-valentines-day-image-0005.gifanimated-valentines-day-image-0005.gif

Charlie
  • nancystandlee
    nancystandlee Posts: 8 Member
    1/23/15: 199
    1/30/15: 197.4
    2/6/15: 196.6
    2/13/15: 195.6

Happy Valentine's Day friends . Gayle do you know about Leslie Saeta & her weekly radio show on blog talk radio..? Good tips for marketing your art. Google her & make facebook friends with her if u r not already. All your exercise stories are inspiring & I walked ONE day. Lol Plan on more. My kitchen table is covered with paperwork & that has to come first.
  • gaylebodine
    1/02/15: 187.3
    1/09/15: 186.1
    1/16/15: 184.8
    1/23/15: 183.3
    1/30/15: 182.0
    2/06/15: 181.0
    2/13/15: 180.1
  • gaylebodine
    Have to run my son to school, more later.
  • maryschwartzroby
    maryschwartzroby Posts: 161 Member

Jan2nd-165.5
    Jan9th-163.5
    Jan16th-161.5
    Jan 23rd-160.5
    Jan30th-161.0
    Feb 6th -161.0
    Feb13th-162.0