Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Wow indeed. Very awesome Jo! *has arm envy* Great flex shot. :wink:

I'm tired. After yesterday's lower hypertrophy workout I had an 8 hour close shift at work and it was freight day. Then I ended up having a schedule change so I worked an open shift today. I didn't want to get up super early to do long jog so I did it after work, then a few errands. Finally got 30,000 steps in one day but my legs and bum were sore before I jogged so going to be feeling it tomorrow.

Cardio day = 5.5 mile jog
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I want Jo's arms.

Seriously.

:sunglasses:

Saturday afternoon, long weekend, we have five extra people in the house. They, my husband and my boy have gone to Monster Jam so it's just me and the girl.

So I'm working LOL

I promised her a swim in about half an hour.

It's so beautiful and warm today - the weather has really turned it on for the weekend :smile:
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Awww thanks everyone.... it's been a long journey but finally starting to see what I want :-)

Dawn - that's a heck of a lot of steps! Good work
    Dna - weather is awesome here too :-)

Did combat (new release) today. Was good. Having a celiac flare up though and otherwise feeling bloody awful. This afternoon my total step count is probably about 20. To bed and back. My whole body is complaining. So annoyed with myself, but hoping it will pass quickly. Really want to feel better already!
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Jo - hope you're feeling better.

Got up later than planned but still made myself jog. Tad warm after 10 am but nice breeze made it bearable. Jogged around 40 minutes so little over 5k distance. Will do upper power lifting after work.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    13 - Upper Power

bench 4x3 @ 100 - barely got it up on the last reps on most of the sets but pushed through
    db incline bench 2x10, 1x9 @ 30 - same weight, didn't get the very last rep on last set
    bent row 3x4 @ 100 - tried 100, eh. Not sure if I'm pulling close enough to body on these heavy ones
    lat pulldown 3x9 @ 70 - managed fine
    OHP 3x4 @ 75 - struggled but pushed through
    bar curl 3x8 @ 40 - eh, curls
    skullcrusher 3x8 @ bar+5 - tough near the end, will stick to this weight for a bit

Now to get to work with online stuff and going to enjoy my day off tomorrow.
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    Upper body today - shoulders mainly, some chest and arm isolation. Got all my reps finally on OHP.... now I have to go up again :/

Feeling fatter lately.... reckon it's time to check in with a DEXA again. It has been about 4 months of increased cals and a solid program. Time to weigh in and make a plan. Will book an appointment tomorrow.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,940 Member
    Options
    You look AWESOME, jo_marnes....keep the muscles, let all the other "looks" go.

:)

Nicely done! Very motivational!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I have caught a cold. I only got 4 hours of sleep last night....so, am feeling too weak to lift. And I don't want to injure myself now that i have been given the "all clear" to lift, again!

One more day won't kill me. I will practice calorie-restraint, today, instead.

Lifting tomorrow will feel really, really good.

BOOM!
  • Pudding1980
    Pudding1980 Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    For those of you wondering about Strong (which I have preordered: release date is Nov. 10 I believe), this was posted on the NR FB page recently when someone asked about the new book:

Kristen, that's a complicated question. Alwyn Cosgrove's program starts at the beginning, which means it's appropriate for someone brand-new to lifting. But those same workouts will be very different for an experienced lifter. They may look simple on paper, but they're as challenging as you want to make them.

Here's why: The more advanced you are, the better you are at coordinating muscles and recruiting motor units. That means you can generate more force per rep, and accumulate more fatigue per set.

At the same time, there's going to be some inefficiency in your movements, since you're returning to exercises and techniques you probably haven't used in a while. You'll have more energy leaks than a rusted-out Chevy. That's also a source of fatigue, and it's entirely intentional.

Alwyn and I have talked a few times about one of the tenets of his training philosophy: If an aspect of muscular fitness is important to develop, then it must also be important to maintain.

And yet, every one of us abandons some of the most basic fitness qualities so we can focus on something else that seems more important. It's always a wake-up call to go back to workouts that focus more on muscular endurance and joint stability and realize how challenging simple exercises can be.

The flip side is that it feels like you're abandoning pure strength and other advanced qualities. But of course you aren't abandoning them. You're simply giving your body a tune-up before you get back to all-out strength and hypertrophy training.

For that, Alwyn has some techniques that are far more advanced than anything he used in NROL for Women, and a couple of evolutionary steps beyond Supercharged.
  • Pudding1980
    Pudding1980 Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    As for me, I've still been lifting and following the NR for Abs program. I am about to start the third and final phase but woke up this morning with a cold and aches and chills. I hate missing a workout but I can't get more sick as this weekend is Canadian Thanksgiving and we are hosting, so I took the boys to school and then went back to bed. I don't feel much better tonight, so maybe I will just do a little run tomorrow and see how I feel Wednesday.

I feel like I am busier since both boys went back to school....how can that be?!?!
  • dnamouse
    Options
    School went back today for Term 4... I know this term will be insane with all the end of year/Christmas/school fete etc etc stuff happening. There will be a swim meet in there somewhere and a couple of excursions too.

In relation to programs, I'm going around again with Supercharged. The weights I am using are at least 1.5x to double what I used when I first started it last year. And I can definitely see re-doing Basic Training as a "tune up" - a bit of a break from the toll that pure strength puts on the body and it's a bit of a shake up. I'm interested to see where I end up at again... but for now, I'm enjoying mixing it up a little and using some of the things I learned the first go through.

My goals have shifted too. I'm not interested in pure strength, I know I will get stronger, so there's no hurry. And I'm not interested in overall aesthetics (I mean, it's nice and all, but I have to acknowledge that there are some things my post-children body just can't achieve any more lol and I'm not willing to cut down to a lower body fat %... I would hazard a guess I'm about 20% now, which in the overall scheme of things is pretty darn good). My current goal is purely health related - mental and physical. Exercise is my treat, my reward - get my work done and I get to go be sweaty in the gym/go for a run/swim laps... which reminds me, I have to hang out the washing if I want to do cardio circuits this afternoon lol

I find it fascinating how things change over time. The more we learn about ourselves and our bodies and generally what we want in life.

Pudding & Jo, I hope you're feeling better soon :kissing_heart:

• Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Hi guys!
    Pudding-happy thanksgiving!! Hope you feel better soon!
    Jo-you look great! Even your before pics look pretty good to me! But love your muscles!! :* Go girl!!
    Beeps-glad you're healing and getting back to it! Go girl! Sorry for the tight jeans, I'm in the same boat. Stupid stretchy pants not holding me accountable enough! But you can do it. Keep up the good work!
    Dna-I totally agree! I look forward to the gym, feels so good afterwards. Definitely a reward in a busy day. Adjusting what we want as we go through life is good stuff. :D
    Dawn-5.5 mile run for cardio? Go girl! Kutgw!

I got to lift today, but had to go early this morning to fit it in. Such a busy season, seeing the chiropractor and getting injections 3x/week takes up way too much time, oldest dd's high school volleyball season is so demanding, more work at my mom's (seemingly endless) etc. but, fitting it in is good! I am working to maintain my strength while I reduce my volume due to time and back pain right now. Just doing what I can :) Keep lifting ladies!
  • DouMc
    DouMc Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    Hey guys. I have been really struggling to stay motivated lately. I started a new job a month ago and since then I have been staying with a friend while house hunting. I also went away on holidays last week so only got around to joining a new gym yesterday. Lifting after taking a month off is not a good idea! Today I can barely move! But it is great to be back at it.
    I feel your pain beeps on the tight jeans, I need to get more focused on my diet and drop some of the fat that i have put on lately.
    Jo, you look amazing!!Can I have your arms please?? :smile:
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Gym after work today. First of potentially more shifts where I work mid-day so was there between 10:30 and 7:00 then meandered a little to let the "after work" rush calm down at the gym. Not to bad after 8pm there. Wasn't feeling as up to par though so decided to drop on the squat instead of attempting an increase and it still was heavy/slow. Tried out liquid chalk just for fun on deadlift and a random cool down set of sumo cause I've never really done it before and it feels very awkward. Might try it on occasion but not a priority for now.

14 - Lower Power

Squat 4x5 @ 160 - less weight and an extra set but slow during the reps.
    Deadlift 3x3 @ 195 - tough, I struggle with the first rep on these. Also did 135 warm up rdl for 5 reps, 185 regular set for 3 reps and afterwards, watched youtube clip and tried sumo at 135 for 5 reps.
    Leg Press 3x8 @ 225 - getting tougher on these ones. Knee was a little questionable but managed.
    Leg Curl 3x8 @ 70 - okay
    Standing Calf 3x10 @ 45 - eh, calves

Then 5 minute walk, 25 minute jog and 5 minute walk on treadmill.
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    Thanks for all the lovely words ladies. I wasn't feeling down about feeling bigger, just needing to check I was on the right track. And I went for my DEXA today - results after 3 months;

Body fat % DOWN from 20.8% to 19.4%
    Body fat mass DOWN 800g
    Lean muscle UP 500g
    Visceral fat DOWN from 13g to 0g! YES!
    Abdominal fat DOWN 3%
    Bone density - IMPROVED (91st centile to 93rd)

Was no way expecting such good results. Especially as I am finding shorts etc not fitting. The technician today however pointed out that about 90% of my lean muscle gains was legs, LOL, hence them being bigger. I knew I wasn't imagining it. Arms are definitely leaner too.

Honestly, I don't know how I'm doing it. I eat so much and don't always feel like I've smashed it at the gym. I'm very pleased I've finally found a balance that is working though. And f**k squats lol - switched to leg press and finally get some quads, hahaha :D
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Thanks for the update on "Strong", pudding....sounds like curcular jargon, though!

I like that it is more complex than NROL4W....but will still wait until you post a photo of a workout oage so I can verify it is not "diy" style workouts.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Lifted before work. Second time trying a little pre-workout but eh, not much different than energy drinks but I've had less of those lately since none are on sale. Didn't help me get more reps though, lol. I actually failed on the barbell incline bench press, which was a slight struggle since there is no lower rack spot like the flat or decline benches. I had to settle it on my lap, then on the bench before I took a couple of plates off since I wasn't sure I'd be able to clean 70 at that moment before awkwardly getting the bar back up where it belonged. Many people at gym, no one came over and just got a few glances as I was trying to get it back to position. I could have let the weights slide off and such but eh, this was fine.

15 - upper hyper

incline bench press 1x7 @ 70 then 3x8 @ 65 - last time I'd managed 4x10 @ 65 so less stellar for sure today
    bench db fly 4x9 @ 15 - these were okay
    seated row 4x12 @ 60 - tough by the end but not bad, might increase next time
    one db row 4x10 @ 22.5 - kept same weight but might try 25 next time
    db lat raise 3x8 @ 15 - increase so was challenging
    seat db curl 3x9 @ 17.5 - increase and okay but curls so meh
    cable tri extensions 4x12 @ 50 - okay but only increases in 10, and odd cause hits my stomach sometimes when pulling the rope down

Next up is food then getting ready for work as it's freight day.
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    Got up early to lift. Was ok but I tweaked my back yesterday in combat so left the rows out today. Bench weight was good and improved but felt yukky - think the back was distracting me.

Home to get breakfast only to discover my husband put sunflower seeds in the porridge (my slow cooker GF recipe) instead of buckwheat. Ugh. How many times can one man f**k it up?? Need more caffeine.....
  • dnamouse
    Options
    I have caffeine... may have needed the double shot though :wink:

Slept in this morning, so I'll hit the gym before lunch. At least Basic Training is relatively short.

My sleeping sucks lately. The husband is using our bedroom for his study, and he has an exam next week. Which means I haven't been able to go to bed when I need to and have been staying up too late. I think I'll make up the bed in the spare room until he gets the exam out of the way. Or, you know... he could use his damn office instead.

Okedokee... slow work day (thank you Friday), so I'm going to patch the boy child's school pants... they just have to make it to the end of term...
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    My sleep has sucked too - change in weather, daylight savings and too many early shifts has meant awake at 12am, 3am and 5am all week. Ugh. I'm on days off.... just one good night is all I ask for!!

Dna - you need to work that *kitten* out - the bedroom is NOT a study.