Daily Chat Thread

Replies

• Pudding1980
    Pudding1980 Posts: 1,264 Member
    Can I ask what DOM stands for?
  • bepeejaye
    bepeejaye Posts: 775 Member
    I think it stands for Delayed Onset of Muscle Soreness - soreness often felt after "heavy" lfting.....
    Can I ask what DOM stands for?

I have been down for two days now and looking forward to cardio today and lifting tomorrow!!
  • redlipsticklyfe
    redlipsticklyfe Posts: 164 Member
    Hey ladies, thought you'd enjoy this article, from Bret C's newsletter, re: "Strength trumps conditioning" --->>>

http://bretcontreras.com/strength-trumps-conditioning-for-body-improvements/?utm_source=getresponse&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=bretcontreras&utm_content=Guess+Who+Finally+Deadlifted+600+lbs,+Overhead+Exercises,+Strength+Trumps+Conditioning+for+Body+Improvements,+and+Do+You+Really+Need+a+Post-Workout+Protein+Shake

While this was a "good (Bret C.) read", today, here are some data-points that I wish the author had touched on: a) how old she is; b) how tall she is; c) how she tracked calories before "get glutes", during "get glutes", and now; and d) what she chose to "manage stress" now that she wasn't cardio-bunny-ing all the time.

Beeps, I agree with your questions. And while I love Bret C's lower body stuff, it seems most of his "success" stories (in his book) don't have great looking arms/shoulders. The girl in the article is no exception. She has very little definition in her arms for what appears to be a good BF%. Or maybe I'm just looking at it wrong.

Alwyn wrote this article on t-nation and it echos the same basic things that the Bret C article hits on:
    http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/the_hierarchy_of_fat_loss .

It's a long article with lots of research referenced, so for those of you short on time, to summarize:

For fat loss, prioritize in the following order:
    1) nutrition
    2) strength training
    3) HIIT
    4) intense steady state cardio
    5) lighter steady state cardio

Oh and this one by Rachel Cosgrove from 2008 is good too- some of you have probably already seen it:
    http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/the_final_nail_in_the_cardio_coffin
    This one has pics of Rachel as she was training for an Ironman and the crazy things it did for her BF%. In spite of training 20+ hours a week, her body changed in a very negative way while doing so much cardio. She was still eating the same amount that she ate while doing 5 hours of strength training. It's a very interesting read.

BarbellCowgirl this was EXACTLY what I needed! I went on a 2 mile run and hated every single second of it and couldn't imagine doing that run 3-4 days a week. This article really helped me get my priorities in order. The link didn't take me straight to the article and I ended up finding a great body weight tabata workout I can do during the week and just save my runs for the weekend when I go to the trail with my boyfriend. Thanks so much for posting!
    1B4 tonight and I'm excited to get to work. Getting a 3/3 for the challenge this week is doing a lot to spur me forward and keep me focused on my goals. My hair is a mess and my nails look like trash but I'm working out and meeting my macros so everything is okay with me! Have a great day ladies
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    I haven't been reading this thread faithfully (like before). Life has been busy. So I can't comment to anyone. Sorry.

BUT welcome to all the new people! I see a LOT of new names.

Still trucking along. I am at a point where I am only maintaining. I am not motivated nor have the desire. It is so hard to get that drive back!
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Well, I still don't know if I'm proud of myself or if I dug a deeper grave, but I did it. I lifted! Sat and stretched in the sauna for about 10 min before and after the session, and today, I'm feeling...sore, but not as much as I thought I'd be. I just hope it doesn't get worse as the day goes on, like it sometimes does.

Runz, I agree that maybe you're just still recouping from the illness? I would LOVE to run out some tension, but the last few times i have, I get this terrible pain on the outside of my right knee, with all google searches leading to Iliotibial Band Syndrome. I'm begrudgingly taking more time off from running :(

Dnamouse, terribly jealous of your pool :)

Redlipstickly, sounds like you're killing it!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,099 Member
    manic - I'm too tired to keep up with all the threads....lame excuse, i know, but that's what I'm stickin' to.

No lifting today.
  • Beeps2011
    I enjoyed this read, today! (....and I don't own a dog....)

http://summertomato.com/5-lessons-about-exercise-you-can-learn-from-your-dog/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed:+blogspot/summertomato+(Summer+Tomato)

5 Lessons About Exercise You Can Learn From Your Dog

Posted: 09 Apr 2014 06:00 AM PDT

The same thing happens every day. Whether it’s raining or the sun is shining. Whether we had a late night encounter with raccoons or we’re well-rested. Shortly after lunch every afternoon my dog Toaster wanders into my office and puts his little head on my lap.

It’s time to go to the park.

While it’s clear that Mother Nature plays a roll in his timing (potty time is a an excellent trigger), it doesn’t take more than a glance to realize that there is a deeper motivation under all that fluffy fur.

Our daily park trip is the best part of Toaster’s day. Nothing makes him happier than running full speed after his frisbee and hurling himself into the air to catch it, then triumphantly prancing back to me and dropping it at my feet.

He’s so adorable. And to be honest, going to the park has become one of the best parts of my day too.

A few weeks ago when Toaster and I were playing our familiar game of fetch I couldn’t help but notice not only the pure joy he was experiencing, but also how hard he was working.

We played until his tongue was hanging out the side of his mouth and he was panting so hard he just flopped over. I realized that I rarely feel so contented, or so exhausted after my own workouts at the gym.

It struck me then and there that Toaster has something figured out that the rest of us still struggle with.

For Toaster, exercise isn’t a chore. It’s play.

Dogs have a fundamentally different outlook on physical activity than us hominids, and it got me thinking about all the lessons we can learn from their ability to find motivation where we can’t.
    5 Lessons About Exercise You Can Learn From Your Dog

1. It’s play, not punishment

I’ve been taking Toaster out to exercise for over three years now, and not once has he just jogged boring laps around the park. Instead he chases things, runs through puddles, makes new friends, and generally causes a ruckus. Basically, he uses it as an opportunity to do all the things he enjoys, but can’t do at home.

We humans can harness similar powers by incorporating fun activities into our workouts. You can rock out to your favorite 90s bands you’re embarrassed about (no one judges me for liking No Doubt on the elliptical machine), listen to podcasts and audiobooks (I read over 15 books last year, how about you?), or just having a friendly fitness competition with a friend via social apps like Fitbit.

2. It’s social

Toaster might be the friendliest dog in the world, and few things make him happier than meeting new people and stealing their attention and affection.

He especially loves children, and whenever a new kid comes out onto the grass he wiggles over to it, puts his ears down so he isn’t threatening, and licks it’s hand. The child invariably squeals in delight, and if Toaster can get away with it he’ll go in for a cheek lick at that point.

Though I generally don’t lick people I’m happy to see, I know firsthand how motivating it can be to have a workout partner. I’ve been working out with the same friend for over five years, and I always get a better workout when we’re together than when I’m alone. Making it social makes it more fun.

3. They aren’t self-conscious

Even though he is adorable, Toaster isn’t the most coordinated dog on the planet. It took him years to be able to catch a frisbee mid-air, and even now he can be seen making enthusiastic bounds into the air that are completely off target. I laugh at him every time, and he just picks up the dropped toy and runs it back to me to try again.

I know that many people feel intimidated by the gym, because they feel they look fat or stupid, or are too self-conscious to try anything new. This is a huge tragedy, and it exists entirely in your own head.

Almost no one is born with an innate ability to use fitness equipment or do proper pushups. Even the most avid gym rat had to learn somewhere at sometime. If you can put your ego aside you’ll see there is far more shame in not trying, then trying and not getting it right the first time.

If you really feel like you need help, don’t be afraid to hire a trainer for a few sessions to get you comfortable using the equipment.

You can also take comfort in the knowledge that most people are far more concerned about themselves while working out, and probably aren’t paying attention to you or anyone else.

4. It makes them better citizens

To be perfectly honest, it isn’t Toaster’s desire to go to the park that gives me the discipline to take him every day. I love him to pieces, but I’m also very busy and have other things to do, just like everyone else. But I learned early on in puppy training that if Toaster doesn’t get enough exercise outside of the house, we’ll have trouble inside the house.

I lost many pairs of shoes and cleaned up more than my fair share of shredded books and toilet paper rolls before I learned that it is almost impossible for Toaster to behave at home unless he is able to get some of his energy out through exercise.

I also should have figured this out sooner, because I’m the same way. Not that I tear up shoes and books, but that I’m far more likely to get lost in meaningless minutia and dumb Facebook posts if I don’t clear my mind with a solid workout several times a week. Making time for exercise actually makes me more effective in the rest of my life.

5. It’s part of their identity

There isn’t a cell in Toaster’s body that wonders whether or not it is appropriate to go to the park every day. Of course we’re going to the park. That’s what we do. Playing at the park is part of his dog-identity.

People who already exercise regularly and have been doing it for years or decades likely already feel that their fitness routine is part of who they are.

But if you haven’t yet built an exercise habit you might tell yourself you can’t exercise because, “I run a startup,” or “I’m a working mom,” or “I’m French.” (I’ve heard all these and more). While any of these facts may pose unique challenges to building a new habit, we often rest on these identities as reasons to do nothing.

On the flip side, someone who already has a self-identity that includes being “a healthy and active person” will likely stay that way even if they start a company or a family. In other words, our actions often originate from how we see ourselves.

The important thing to remember is that your self-identity can always be changed or expanded, especially if you truly do care about your health and quality of life. If you believe you are capable of enjoying physical activity on a regular basis, then you can.
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Beeps, I've been working on my fitness for 11+ years and it is definitely part of who I am. Work and home can get pretty wild. Exercise gives me a very satisfying sense of control.

I have another AMRAP today. Maybe it won't suck?

I probably am still recovering from strep. I did have to go the ER because my temp was 105 and I didn't eat food for three days :sick: I didn't want to make excuses. So, I'll carry on and give myself a little more credit.

Will, if you think it's your IT band, you can use the foam roller on it. It hurts so good!
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Hey ladies, thought you'd enjoy this article, from Bret C's newsletter, re: "Strength trumps conditioning" --->>>

http://bretcontreras.com/strength-trumps-conditioning-for-body-improvements/?utm_source=getresponse&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=bretcontreras&utm_content=Guess+Who+Finally+Deadlifted+600+lbs,+Overhead+Exercises,+Strength+Trumps+Conditioning+for+Body+Improvements,+and+Do+You+Really+Need+a+Post-Workout+Protein+Shake

While this was a "good (Bret C.) read", today, here are some data-points that I wish the author had touched on: a) how old she is; b) how tall she is; c) how she tracked calories before "get glutes", during "get glutes", and now; and d) what she chose to "manage stress" now that she wasn't cardio-bunny-ing all the time.

Beeps, I agree with your questions. And while I love Bret C's lower body stuff, it seems most of his "success" stories (in his book) don't have great looking arms/shoulders. The girl in the article is no exception. She has very little definition in her arms for what appears to be a good BF%. Or maybe I'm just looking at it wrong.

Alwyn wrote this article on t-nation and it echos the same basic things that the Bret C article hits on:
    http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/the_hierarchy_of_fat_loss .

It's a long article with lots of research referenced, so for those of you short on time, to summarize:

For fat loss, prioritize in the following order:
    1) nutrition
    2) strength training
    3) HIIT
    4) intense steady state cardio
    5) lighter steady state cardio

Oh and this one by Rachel Cosgrove from 2008 is good too- some of you have probably already seen it:
    http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/the_final_nail_in_the_cardio_coffin
    This one has pics of Rachel as she was training for an Ironman and the crazy things it did for her BF%. In spite of training 20+ hours a week, her body changed in a very negative way while doing so much cardio. She was still eating the same amount that she ate while doing 5 hours of strength training. It's a very interesting read.

BarbellCowgirl this was EXACTLY what I needed! I went on a 2 mile run and hated every single second of it and couldn't imagine doing that run 3-4 days a week. This article really helped me get my priorities in order. The link didn't take me straight to the article and I ended up finding a great body weight tabata workout I can do during the week and just save my runs for the weekend when I go to the trail with my boyfriend. Thanks so much for posting!
    1B4 tonight and I'm excited to get to work. Getting a 3/3 for the challenge this week is doing a lot to spur me forward and keep me focused on my goals. My hair is a mess and my nails look like trash but I'm working out and meeting my macros so everything is okay with me! Have a great day ladies

Well, darn, I must've posted it wrong. Yep, no need to make yourself do steady cardio if you don't enjoy it!

Pmag, you're probably at the point that fat loss isn't much of a concern. I liked Rachel Cosgroves follow-up to her "nail in the cardio coffin" article. Basically, she says if your goal isn't fat loss and you enjoy cardio, by all means do it.
    http://www.t-nation.com/training/death-of-steady-state-cardio

Beeps, that's a great article. And very true. So many people think that exercise is something we force ourselves to do.

Runz, definitely give yourself some slack!

Manic, we all go through periods like that. Maintenance is progress. Hang in there and I'm sure you will find your motivation soon. Give yourself some small goals to work towards.

I spent the day fishing with the hubs. We had some extra time and went to eat without kids. Macros are blown, but it was worth it.
  • RawTasha
    RawTasha Posts: 23
    Hi ladies, I just wanted to pop in and say hi and hopefully keep up with the chat.
    I'm surrounded by cardio friends and know no one that lifts. Sometimes it feels a bit lonely haha
    I've completed the third week, looking forward to the next.
    I also walk 3 days a week.

I look forward to getting to know you all better :o)
  • manic4titans
    I went to the gym today. If yall remember, I can't do squats with bar across my back due to the nerve damage in shoulder. I saw a video of sitting squats??? Straddle a bench ,sit, and rise making sure you press down with heels. :noway: My glutes are screaming. I held a 25 # plate. I'll progress to the 35 # bar and up which I know I can do heavier but just starting on it. I would love to hold the bar across my back but I just can't get my stinkin' arm back far enough to hold the bar. Anyway, I think this is a good alternative and really makes me focus on pushing down those heels.

I want to snack , and I'm sleepy. That must be my cue to get to bed.
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    My kids go to their grandparents tomorrow for 5 nights - woot!

Disclaimer: I love my children, really I do, but Mummy doesn't handle a messed up routine and so.much.noise very well :wink: :laugh: I need to work and I need to exercise, neither of which I can do very well while they are at home 24/7.

A little time for them at the farm learning farm stuff and I'll be ready for the onslaught of family here at Easter :smile:

It's getting better as they get older, but with a 4 year age gap, they grate on each others nerves a little.

Besides, I'm looking forward to a little bit of Mummy & Daddy alone-time :bigsmile: I may even get to go out for dinner to a real restaurant wearing fancy clothes, heels and make-up and all that strange stuff LOL
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Hi gang! So I haven't been to the gym since Monday. I'm still getting past that food poisoning. My belly has been fussy all week with the associated results and I'm just plain exhausted. The people close to me all said get more rest, and take a break from the workouts until next week. They have never steered me wrong, and quite frankly, the extra sleep has been just what I needed. I'm much better today.

I am so not a cardio bunny and never have been. I had a single period in my life when I was running - it last less than a year - when it started to get cold and I had to start that run feeling cold, yea that was it! I HATE the cold and running on a DREDmill is lethal to me. I have a tough enough time climbing out of a warm bed and getting into the cold car to go to the gym to do what I love!

I love Bret Contrares, but I too notice that he and his minions don't seem to care about upperbody work - kinda the opposite of what I see the meatheads in the gym doing!

Mary - BOX SQUATS ROCK!! I'm glad you found them! (yours sounds like an iteration of them) - and motivation is highly under-rated. You're maintaining, that's good! Keep up the great work girl.

dnamouse - enjoy your date week! :love:

Beeps and Cowgirl, you both always give such sound advice and wellrounded info! I've learned so much here!

Off to get ready for work, I'll try to check in later but I'm guessing it's not happening. 5 cases hit discovery stage - I'm assisting a junior attorney who is "leading" his first 2 cases and is decidedly absent minded. Oh goodie, I get to do his work AND my work! :grumble: :grumble: :grumble:
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member

Disclaimer: I love my children, really I do, but Mummy doesn't handle a messed up routine and so.much.noise very well :wink: :laugh: I need to work and I need to exercise, neither of which I can do very well while they are at home 24/7.

A little time for them at the farm learning farm stuff and I'll be ready for the onslaught of family here at Easter :smile:

It's getting better as they get older, but with a 4 year age gap, they grate on each others nerves a little.

Besides, I'm looking forward to a little bit of Mummy & Daddy alone-time :bigsmile: I may even get to go out for dinner to a real restaurant wearing fancy clothes, heels and make-up and all that strange stuff LOL

I hear ya! I have a 3 year age gap between my eldest (10) and my middle one (7). Then only 17 mths between him and the youngest. The little ones get on much better together than with their older brother. Although it does always seem to be the eldest being annoying rather than the other way round! Go figure.

Fancy clothes? Heels? Not even sure I own such things any more....... LOL. Enjoy!
  • Beeps2011
    today, I lift!

BOOM!
  • rocky503
    rocky503 Posts: 430 Member
    runzalot I wouldn't call a 105 temp an excuse! Give your self a break. Get well first then hit working out again. :flowerforyou:
  • manic4titans
    Thanks, SUEboo! You are always cheering me on. ANd YES, you need to take a break. I am sure you were at least mildly dehydrated and weak. Build your strength up. You'll be back in the swing of things in no time. :flowerforyou:

Beeps, HIT IT!

I would love alone time but it won't happen any time soon. Youngest child (9 years old) is type 1 diabetic. No one close to us knows how to manage it. She can test her own blood and give injections but she doesn't know the carb:insulin ratio. 19 year old son won't learn how to take care of it. He is afraid of hurting her. It is a legitimate excuse. He was scared to death when she got sick at 4 years old. SO, we usually have bedroom dates. :bigsmile: We'll go out to eat somewhere very close to home, pick up Redbox movie and candy,, and go to our bedroom while they play video games upstairs. Son is good about doing that if we ask.

No workout today. UNless I go late this afternoon.
  • rocky503

Hey Danamouse can I send my DD to the farm too? Was just saying to DH that spending little time on a farm would be good for her on so many levels. I have an only but totally can relate to what you are saying. DH and I are never really alone.... I think mucking out some stalls and what not on a farm is great for kids.
  • rocky503
    today, I lift!

BOOM!

Me too, phase 2 WO A of the life edition today. The weather rocks today too so may also get my garden in .
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Thanks Runz, I'll have to check if my gym has foam rollers, pretty sure they do. You definitely deserve more credit, 105?? That's no joke.

Dnamouse, enjoy your week with your hubby :)

Sue, it's better to rest up now than to push too hard and be out of commission for longer than need be. Hope you feel 100% soon!

Beeps, I loved that article. One of my biggest hurdles was the self-conscious thing stepping into the weight area for the first time. I'm glad I got over that.

Welcome Tasha!

I'm down in the dumps and feeling sorry for myself today. It's a lift day so I'm hoping I'll have a better attitude afterwards.