Daily Chat Thread

Replies

• rocky503
    rocky503 Posts: 430 Member
    Pmagnanifit I just got done with my session and noted that it took about 11.5 minutes to complete the RAMP as described in the life edition. I don't have to check the book anymore for how to perform the moves so that cuts out some time. :wink:

I feel like I am stuck in regards to increasing weight. So this is something I need to work on.
    Today:
    DL at 95#
    Bench press 65#
    reverse lunge with 25# DB pair
    standing cable rows 110#

I get stuck at 25 or 30# DBs, mostly cause there isn't a way to add a fraction up to the next 5 pound increment.
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    what are the ******** masking?!?!?

can you write out the letters in t-h-i-s f-o-r-m-a-t so that I understand??

This totally made me laugh :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I was trying to say "p u s s y footing"

I did my first AMRAP and I think I totally suck :laugh: Oh, well. I ended up bypassing the wine and making protein ice cream. I still have room in my macros for wine, but I'm stuffed :frown:

DNA, post the pics!
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Capri are cool. They are very spring.
    I am having a hard weekend work wise - lots of tough situations and stress. It was my birthday but not fun. My kids tried hard - they made lots of colorful paper animals and a zebra striped cake. I ate cake and chocolate chocolate chip muffins this weekend. So I'm not meeting my protein goals this week.

I lifted last night at ten pm because I couldn't sleep. The gym is fairly empty..
    Not my best workout but another one is in the can.

Does Ramp take twenty minutes for anyone else? I still have to look at the book. And I add in some of hip flexor strengthening pt moves.
    Tomorrow I am off but working anyway.
    Sorry about the stress :( and happy belated birthday fellow aries.
    I cut my ramp down to 10. I skip all the jumping and just focus on the stretching.
  • samntha14
    ha ha ha p u s s y footing. Really MFP?!. I can't believe I haven't checked in since Saturday. I got suckered into working test prep Saturday Morning. Which I DESPISE!!! However, at least by doing it on Saturday, we don't sacrifice instructional time, and I really do feel like I taught them something of value. I had a lot of seventh graders nodding. My kids had to come with me, and to reward them for such awesome behavior we spent the afternoon in the sun at the park. Enter NSV: my newly minted 10yo banged his knee and couldn't walk to the car. This lifter mama picked up his 90+lb tush and cradle carried him about 100 feet to the car.

Got back to the gym tonight (It would be SO EASY to just be lazy, but lifting does LIFT my mood) Ran into Stan the man whose profuse compliments always make my day and are my small reward for working hard. Did my last 6A
    2x10@30 reverse lunge with DB on shoulder
    2x10@30 two point row
    2x10@25dbs squat push press
    2x10 reverse inclined crunches (steepest setting)
    2x10 @ 45 back extension
    The last 2 of each set damn near killed me and I was wiped out at the finish and absolutely dripping in sweat, ROAR!!!
    CAme home to a sleeping house. Now I am enjoying a nice cupa green tea and the peace and quiet. ahhhhhhhh
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Okay, hoping this works. It's very low-res though and I'm having issues with Photobucket at the moment lol

ugh!! stupid photobucket. gimme a minute

ejj7f5.jpg

Yay! That worked :laugh:
    Not quite as impressive as some, but it's a start :happy:
  • Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Wow dnamouse your back looks great!

Thanks all for telling me how long your ramp takes-- I cut it back a little this evening. My workout was decent- but I probably should switch out the goblet squats for something else. My arms get a workout but not my legs.

Sam sounds like you had a good day after work. Lifting and carrying you ten year old is impressive.

Runzalot nice job working out. I was glad you posted the ***** meaning because I had no clue.

Hope all are well.
  • bepeejaye
    bepeejaye Posts: 775 Member
    Dnamouse..looking good!!!
  • redlipsticklyfe
    redlipsticklyfe Posts: 164 Member
    willift4tat-thanks! I'm really trying to stick to my goals and this challenge is really helping
    dnamouse- your back looks AMAZING!

Did A3 last night. For whatever reason I can't get out of those 60 degree pushups. Oh well. I'm going for a run tonight. Hopefully incorporating runs back into my routine will help me get more results in my tummy and lower back. I'm seeing positive changes everywhere else and it's really frustrating that this one stubborn place is hanging on. I'm going to do a week of runs and lifting and then do some measurements to see where I'm at. Happy lifting today everyone!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,099 Member
    dnamouse - I think that is VERY impressive!! Not sure *who* counts as having a "more impressive", but who the h*ll cares?!?!??! Comparison is the thief of joy.

YOU LOOK AWESOME!

BOOM!
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Hey ladies, thought you'd enjoy this article, from Bret C's newsletter, re: "Strength trumps conditioning" --->>>

http://bretcontreras.com/strength-trumps-conditioning-for-body-improvements/?utm_source=getresponse&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=bretcontreras&utm_content=Guess+Who+Finally+Deadlifted+600+lbs,+Overhead+Exercises,+Strength+Trumps+Conditioning+for+Body+Improvements,+and+Do+You+Really+Need+a+Post-Workout+Protein+Shake

While this was a "good (Bret C.) read", today, here are some data-points that I wish the author had touched on: a) how old she is; b) how tall she is; c) how she tracked calories before "get glutes", during "get glutes", and now; and d) what she chose to "manage stress" now that she wasn't cardio-bunny-ing all the time.

Beeps, I agree with your questions. And while I love Bret C's lower body stuff, it seems most of his "success" stories (in his book) don't have great looking arms/shoulders. The girl in the article is no exception. She has very little definition in her arms for what appears to be a good BF%. Or maybe I'm just looking at it wrong.

Alwyn wrote this article on t-nation and it echos the same basic things that the Bret C article hits on:
    http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/the_hierarchy_of_fat_loss .

It's a long article with lots of research referenced, so for those of you short on time, to summarize:

For fat loss, prioritize in the following order:
    1) nutrition
    2) strength training
    3) HIIT
    4) intense steady state cardio
    5) lighter steady state cardio

Oh and this one by Rachel Cosgrove from 2008 is good too- some of you have probably already seen it:
    http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/the_final_nail_in_the_cardio_coffin
    This one has pics of Rachel as she was training for an Ironman and the crazy things it did for her BF%. In spite of training 20+ hours a week, her body changed in a very negative way while doing so much cardio. She was still eating the same amount that she ate while doing 5 hours of strength training. It's a very interesting read.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    dna, that is one very lean, strong back! Way to go- your hard work shows!

redlipstickly, it took me many months to do proper pushups on the floor. Just keep at it!

runz, that's impressive you were able to do so well despite being so sick, good for you!

pmag, I have the same issue with goblet squats. Zercher squats are a good step-up from the goblet squats.

I'm baking cookies today for a "thank you" basket for a friend. It's killing me. M&M, Chocolate Chip, Rocky Road, and Cherry & White Chocolate....they're all soft and chewy and my house smells so good.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    8 Week Challenge ladies:

Samntha14, if you reported your challenge results for the week, I missed them- or are you planning to report monthly?
    dodiem29, I still don't have yours yet either.

Looks like most of us have some room for improvement! Keep up the great work!
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Rocky, I had no idea what marionberry was, so I had to look it up. I don't think I'd be able to keep my hands off either, yum!

Runz, bahaha I'm glad you clarified, I was also wondering what the secret was!

Dnamouse....I have no words but :love: WOWZA! I can't wait til I have a pic-worthy back. Nice!

Redlipstickly, it will come with time, patience :)

Barbell, those cookies sound delish. What a nice gesture!

Okay, it's *supposed* to be another lifting day, however, my DOMS is even worse than it was yesterday and I'm wondering how effective any workout might be lol. I feel like I'd have to sit in the sauna for an hour just to get into a half squat. It's seriously like my legs are just one ginormous bruise! This, my friends, is what happens when you take WAY too much time off and then go gung-ho your first day back. But...I regret nothing :devil:

How do you all deal with extreme DOMS and do you take an extra day (REALLY REALLY don't want to do this), or do you just do your best with what you can? I've been drinking tons of water, even popped some ibuprofen with no relief. I don't want to sit it out or do another w/o, because I could be done with this stage on Friday if I go on ahead. On the other hand, I'm waddling and have no idea how I can pull off squats, raised leg lunges, etc in this state...help :frown:
  • runzalot81
    DNA, your back is super hot!

WillLift, I'd just go for a walk and call it good :ohwell:

I'm running at the park tonight and, apparently, I'm taking all the neighbor's kids with me :huh:
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Okay, it's *supposed* to be another lifting day, however, my DOMS is even worse than it was yesterday and I'm wondering how effective any workout might be lol. I feel like I'd have to sit in the sauna for an hour just to get into a half squat. It's seriously like my legs are just one ginormous bruise! This, my friends, is what happens when you take WAY too much time off and then go gung-ho your first day back. But...I regret nothing :devil:

How do you all deal with extreme DOMS and do you take an extra day (REALLY REALLY don't want to do this), or do you just do your best with what you can? I've been drinking tons of water, even popped some ibuprofen with no relief. I don't want to sit it out or do another w/o, because I could be done with this stage on Friday if I go on ahead. On the other hand, I'm waddling and have no idea how I can pull off squats, raised leg lunges, etc in this state...help :frown:

For me, exercise always improves DOMS. Getting those muscles warm again is key to my recovery.

I'm keen to get to the gym today. Haven't been since the weekend and have hated it! Had 3 long days at Uni and it has played havoc with my digestion - am so bloated. I really don't know why that happens when I change my routine but my belly sure is resistant to change. So dreading the scales!

Sounds like you've all been busy - well done. Can't wait to have more time!

Jo xx
  • BarbellCowgirl

I'm like Jo. I actually feel better if I go ahead and lift. Usually by the time I do some foam rolling and warm-up, the soreness abates enough that I can lift without too much discomfort.
  • runzalot81
    What did you decide, Will?

Running helps shake out my sore muscles.

Yesterday, I said my AMRAPs sucked. Today, my run sucked. Is this whole week gonna suck?
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    It's really lovely waking up and hearing such sweet words, thanks :heart:

I have a habit of talking myself down :ohwell: , and as I work out by myself and no-one else is really into exactly what I am, it's a little difficult to gauge where I am at.

So I'm loving this little chatty group :love:

With DOMS, it really depends on the day. If it's a scheduled workout day, I just get on with it, maybe a little slower and more careful and do a really good warm up.

I have about 14 kids rocking around today. There are 3 extras here already in the pool with my 2. This could be a long day LOL
  • samntha14
    Spring break and you have the pool. Good luck I remember those days. Looking forward to mine next week. Boy do we need it. I'm enjoying my glute DOMS today. Tonight I'm off to Zumba. WHen I'm in too much pain to walk upstairs, I take another day off. If the pain is not so bad, exercise is the way to beat it.

DNA, the back looks great. Keep up the good work.

Cowgirl, I don't even remember what I wrote down. I remember saying pull up by the end of month. Everything else is a blur.
  • Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Willlift-When I workout three times a week I don't get DOMs- I think I do best with going ahead and working out - sometimes swimming feels great. I also foam roll almost everyday but I might be addicted.
    Beeps I read lots of t- nation articles today- it is pretty interesting. I did a marathon way back in 1995 and had body fat tested .it was horrible like 28%( I weighed 100 lbs then - fairly demoralizing when you think you are in the best shape of your life..
    I still like cardio- runner's high( or swimmer or biker). There is a point when I feel amazing light and free and it is like nothing else. I enjoy weightlifting and love feeling strong. I even like the intense tired feeling after weight lifting. I want to be healthy and fit.

Rocky your bench press is awesome.

Dnamouse - I am jealous of your pool- but I hope you have swimsuit that shows off your back.

Runza - maybe you are still recuperating from your gi bug? I was amazed how long it took my lifts to getup to speed like 2 weeks after food poisoning--so for about six hours of vomiting I lost two weeks worth of weight increases.

Thanks for all the ramp info- I might check out limber 11

Any advice on the cable pull through? It seems challenging for my balance and my arms but not my back.

I have an early meeting tomorrow and I am trying to get in a very early workout.