Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    I lift because I like the challenge. And I enjoy the results. My body has had such a transformation and I am proud of it. I would love to lift heavy but my 'genetics' don't really appreciate it too much. I injure quickly and my body seems to need a lot of persuasion to increase weights
  • DouMc
    DouMc Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    I initially started lifting for a few reasons, one of which was aesthetics. The others were health related, my body fat percentage was really high and I was freaked out about the health implications of that. Also, I am on long term steroids which increase my risk of osteoporosis so I wanted to protect my bone density. Since then I have kept those reasons but I also lift because I love how it makes me feel. I love feeling strong and I have so much more energy since I started lifting. I also enjoy lifting far more than other forms of exercise so it is something which I can stick to and do regularly.

Beeps, I like the idea of posting goals for the year, I will just need a little time to think of mine...
  • Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Thanks girls! <3 Great stuff! I love hearing how each of you thinks of lifting!

Yea, goals....I need to think on that too. I'll be mulling...

Have a great day! Counting my blessings and you inspiring strong ladies are one of them!
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    That's it too Dou - lifting makes me feeling awesome. And capable.

I can lift things, and move things, and carry things for people (so long as I can get my short arms and little fingers around them lol).

A 14+kg tray of mangoes this morning was nothing. I even carried it one-armed while I held a door open for someone else... no issues at all.

It's the little things :wink:

Meanwhile, I now have mangoes.... I love mangoes.

I really like Summer lol
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    jo_marnes wrote: »
    I lift because I like the challenge. And I enjoy the results. My body has had such a transformation and I am proud of it. I would love to lift heavy but my 'genetics' don't really appreciate it too much. I injure quickly and my body seems to need a lot of persuasion to increase weights

Ughhhh.... my reply was much longer than this - stupid phone.
  • rocky503
    rocky503 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    This is the first day in a long Time I ate at a deficit so yeah! Getting ready for T day today although I'm not hosting still have a lot of cooking to do. One thing I'm doing this year is making a Carmel apple crisp instead of a caramel apple pie which will save some fat and calories and my family likes it better and it's easier to make so there you go. I,m making a nice variety of roasted vegetables that'll be a good thing to fill up on but will still make the green being casserole too for the crowd. I had planned to take a walk today with my dogs but I had to go order my glasses instead so that didn't get done no exercise. Not hosting Thanksgiving at my house is one way I save a whole Lotta calories and eat better.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Alright. Pecan pies are in the oven so I can update things while I wait. Though hope they turn out as head a slight egg issue when getting the filling together, but we'll wait and see. Went to the gym after work. Tomorrow the gym closes early afternoon and it's my rest day anyways, so not going to lift or anything. I work 2-close then go back in at 8 am for friday. Plenty for me to do coming up. We all bring food too so I'll get to eat some but won't have stuff at home really, except the smoked turkey that my roommate got from his work, plus the veggies I bought and need to cook.

32 - lower hypertrophy

front squat 3x8 @ 85 and 1x8 @ 100 - 85 wasn't too bad on wrists but they did ache some. The 100 was first time on front squat, did the crossed arms option again for the heavier set.
    bar lunge 3x8 @ 70 - same as last time
    good morning 3x10 @ 70 - also same
    leg extension 3x8 @ 80 - more of a challenge
    leg curl 3x8 @ 80 - also challenging but more so on my calves than hamstrings
    seated calf 3x10 @ 100 - eh
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Julie, I lift for all reasons. I want to be strong and lean. Plus, I hate cardio. Ha! I haven't lifted in months although, I plan to get back once I talk with Dr about labrum tear. I am excited to get back. I felt AWESOME!

Yesterday, was a bad bad day of eating. Today I did have a slice of pumpkin pie for breakfast but I have eaten well the rest of the day. Even walked for 45 minutes on treadmill while I watched tv.

• Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I definitely indulged yesterday. Totally planned and thoroughly enjoyed!! :smile:

Back on track today, plan to lift tomorrow. Shopped and cleaned, un-decorated the house from Fall, started Christmas decorating...and am now watching sappy Christmas movies and eating the healthiest of the leftovers ;).

Hope you're all doing well :)
  • kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Ahh, what's life about if you can't overindulge from time to time!!

A day with my daughter beckons, lunch and a bit of pampering. She is off to Switzerland for the winter ski season in a couple of weeks so we are having some time before she leaves. My son leaves for his season in France next week so all if a sudden the house will be quiet!

Although my daughter did the same last year, this is the first year that both of them will be gone all winter. Christmas will be strange!!

Happy weekend everyone!!
  • kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Oh, just thought of another "why I lift " reason... After a lifetime of yo yo dieting my skin tone has been shot to pieces and also carry a massive amount of cellulite. Although still very definitely work.in progress, for the first time I can see it all improving. I may have done too much damage to ever have smooth thighs but the improvement really is significant.

No matter how many cardio classes I did or marathons I ran I never saw that sort of improvement, so that alone is a reason tonlove the weights!!

• mmebouchon
    mmebouchon Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Why I lift question? Sorry about the long post.
    I started when I noticed that my arm was shaking from lfting the kettle one morning. I have arthritis in my hands and shoulders and found the less I used them for lifting anything, the less they hurt, but I was loosing all my muscle. The morning that I realized that making coffee was a struggle was very eye opening for me. It is not that I hadn't been doing anything active because I was. I cook, garden, go to waterfit, stretch and walk. No doubt the weight loss over the summer contributed to some of my muscle loss. I hadn't known how important it was to lift weights when losing weight when I started on MFP.

I did some research and found a couple of folks talking about weights helping their arthritic joints. So I started very slowly trying different range of motion exercises with light weights and even no weight at times. At first my muscles jumped and twitched and my arms were only able to to do really jerky movements but after a couple of weeks that settled down. So now I am lifting weights, yippie! It took weeks of trying different lifts out to convience myself that I really could do this. I finally picked NROLFW and started to follow that program last week. I will need to be cautiuos and progress slowly but that is okay. I am just so please that I get to walk into the weight room and lift weights.
  • manic4titans
    Options
    Hey, yall! I got on the scales this am expecting the worse. I lost 3.2 from my last weigh in! I hope the last few days do not catch up with me.

I ordered the new Strong book early this am from Amazon. You can get it 30% off using the HOLIDAY30 code at check out. I purchased it for $13.xx :p The code is good until 11/30 and excludes Kindle.

I plan to eat turkey breast, lima beans, and salad and walk on the treadmill while I watch tv. YAH!

mme, YOU GOT THIS! The best thing for you is lifting. I read the intro to "Strong" and Lou Schuler and Alwyn Cosgrove say lifting will help the arthritic joints and make us healthier in the long run. Yes, be cautious; before you know it you will be deadlifting huge. Ask SueLegal. She is awesome.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,940 Member
    Options
    manic, i want to try "Strong"....i would love to feel "enthusiastic", again. Ohhhhhh, the excitement I had when I first joined mfp! When I first joined "NROL4W". How I miss it!!!
  • manic4titans
    Options
    Beeps2011 wrote: »
    manic, i want to try "Strong"....i would love to feel "enthusiastic", again. Ohhhhhh, the excitement I had when I first joined mfp! When I first joined "NROL4W". How I miss it!!!
    I didn't get enthusiastic until I ordered it , and Amazon allowed me to read the intro. Maybe because I have been slacking is the reason for my excitement plus the scale dropped. I am still not below what I was when I first joined MFP
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Had a long shift today but got to leave a little earlier than usual, so that was kind of nice. Made it to the gym by 10 pm instead of 11 and that made it easier to get some jogging in after lifting.

33 - Upper Power

bench 3x3 @ 105 - heavy but managed, plus much better than when I could barely get 1 set before vacation when this was my "working weight". Still going to be hard to increase from here.
    db incline bench 3x8 @ 35 - so heavy. Finally tried the 35's and managed but it was a challenge.
    bent row 3x5 @ 100 - didn't use the fixed weight bar this time, tad challenge by end.
    lat pull 3x8 @ 80 - still tough
    OHP 1x3 and 2x4 @ 80 - challenging but managed a little better this time
    bar curl 1x5 @ 50 and 3x12 @ 40 - 50 was too much so back down to the 40 still
    skull crusher ez curl bar plus 10 3x10 - challenging still

22 minute jog plus warm up and cool down.

• DawnEmbers
    Options
    Just another day with a regular shift. Spent a good part of it putting up new sales tags as we had to do both weekly and monthly but also did a fair amount of photo orders, in particular christmas cards. It's that time and we'll be pretty busy until christmas with all of the picture orders that come in. Decent gym session though had a math issue on deadlift, well more of just a weird distraction fail. I was going to do 200 and after 185, I was adding the other weights and actually thought "make sure to get the 5 before adding the 2.5" as I was getting the clip thing off. And well, I ended up doing a lopsided set of three with the left weight more than the right. No idea what distracted me either but fail. Fixed it and got the sets in at least. Tuesday I meet with trainer guy for caliper body fat assessment just to get a general idea as December is back to focus more on nutrition and seeing where I can get the scale to move down to as I work towards my June goals.

34 - lower power
    squat 4x3 @ 170 - It was heavy but I managed.
    deadlift 1x3 @ 195, 3x3 @ 200 - okay, though lockout felt a bit off tonight. My elbow was bugging me so I kept to the same switch grip instead of mixing up which one is under instead of over.
    sumo deadlift 2x5 @ 155 - fine though still unsure on sumo but it's getting better I think. Keeping to both overhand on the grip too, so not bad as these are after the heavy regular ones.
    leg press 1x8 and 2x10 @ 225 - decent so increased reps on the last two sets.
    leg curl 3x9 @ 70 - tried 80 but too much struggle so brought it back down to 70, these are hard to increase on.
    standing calf 3x8 @ 90 - eh, calves...

So much to do still. Have just under 30k on NaNoWriMo and one day to write so guessing I won't hit 50k but still can make progress. I get the next two days off so yay, laundry, writing and maybe some online stuff. It's almost December and still so much to do.
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    Hey all just checking in. Dawn I hear ya - December has now arrived here in Australia. It's a miracle I remembered the advent calendars what with everything else that's happening. This week is chaos - working 6 days plus all the kids activities, Christmas shopping, sorting gifts for their teachers etc. Yesterday was no workout - worked early shift, came home did grocery shopping, 2 lots of dance class with the kids, got my eyebrows done, made fudge for the boy's teachers, made dinner and took my eldest to Scouts. Now today is my only day off - I will lift, then I am helping make 300 Christmas lunches at the school, shopping for my fundraising event in January (so I can claim the money back before Christmas!), picking the kids up and going to lawn bowls - some random end of year celebration at the eldest's school. Our school hols over Christmas are 7 weeks, but my eldest is in private school and finishes Friday :o

Anyway...... workouts last week. Managed to get 5 in even though I'm on nights. This week will also be 5 rather than 6. But there is simply not enough time in the day for everything! Unless I lift after work Friday before my Christmas party.... I will see how I feel.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I love hearing why everyone lifts! So cool, such a variety of reasons. I lift because of all of your reasons. I started lifting because I have osteopenia and now some arthritis and I refuse absolutely refuse to be an hunched over old lady unable to walk or lift things up. But I lift too because I love the way I feel when I do! I love that sense of accomplishment when I pull 150 pounds off the floor or when I press that 50 pounds off my chest or over my shoulders. I know you all have that same "YEA" feeling! And I lift because it's really the only exercise that I enjoy doing and that I do consistently!

So I have been reading Strong. Beeps, read it!! READ IT! You will feel enthusiastic again! He has evolved since NROL4W and he has changed his mind about some things. Alwyn also has refocused but they both still say the same things - lift heavy stuff, lift as much as you can, and go at it with the best you have! I too haven't felt that same enthusiasm recently, kind of like I've been marking time, but I really like the focus of Strong! I'm at the point where the workouts are being described. I will start Strong after the New Year I think. My lifting buddy is starting a cut because she wants to compete in a bikini competition next year. So I won't follow her program, but we will still lift together I think. FYI if you have the book you can download the logs at werkit.com/programs/strong.

I didn't eat very well through the holidays - and now I discovery that I have to work a mock trial next week. I hope my suits still fit! :o Beeps my aggressive 10 pounds won't happen, I know based on what I did this weekend! But I did start fresh today, and partly due to reading Strong, I'm back to basics again.

Today, I did shoulders and chest. I had to laugh - I grabbed DBs that I thought were 20s and did decline press - only to discovery they were 25s a PR for me!

Dawn, I looked up PHUL and I really like the looks of that program!

Be STRONG ladies!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,940 Member
    Options
    Wow, sue, am I ever excited to hear about "Strong!" ... I started a separate thread a couple weeks back. (I should check and see if anybody responded on it....)

I want to READ what they changed?!??

I spent the entire 2015 ten lbs heavier than i did in 2012, 2013 and 2014....i am TERRIFIED i can't move it off! And it is FAT.....I look at. My leanest photos and i can (easily) see where the ten lbs is sitting. Blech.

So, 2016 has to be about some sort of "renewal". With luck, a new job.....time away from my house....dedicated time for lifting....and to STOP "overtraining" which i totally did in 2015, with crappy results (ie too much weight gain because i can't shut my piehole).