Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    ftrobbie wrote: »
    moyer566 wrote: »
    i think i'll be running before yoga tonight. depending on what goes wrong. because things keep going wrong. still sick

I'd rest and get back to running when not sick. I find stressing the body when sick just makes me sick for longer. Hope you feel better soon.

well i have to teach yoga no matter what. I'm just itching to run. it's been too long and i want to improve my HM time significantly.
    175.jpg
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options

well i have to teach yoga no matter what. I'm just itching to run. it's been too long and i want to improve my HM time significantly.

Aahh the itch, try not to scratch it, it'll get worse. ;)

It's hard and if you are like me, watching the plan not be fulfilled is hard. You know how bad you feel, but xercising hard (running is stressful for the body) will delay your recovery. There will be a inversion point where exercising is less damaging than more rest. Here's hoping you can find that point.
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    @brant710 It looks like a standard 5k to 10k extender. You are right, you are unlikely to run a 10k in under an hour, most people don't, I certainly didn't, but 10k sits around 53mins for me now. However you will be able to run a 10k off the back of it. Most of those plans are designed for you to get confidence that you can run that sort of distance. If you complete the plan you will be able to run 10k, you might not be impressed with how long it takes though. Remember that comparison is the thief of joy. Have fun
  • brant710
    brant710 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    @brant710 It looks like a standard 5k to 10k extender. You are right, you are unlikely to run a 10k in under an hour, most people don't, I certainly didn't, but 10k sits around 53mins for me now. However you will be able to run a 10k off the back of it. Most of those plans are designed for you to get confidence that you can run that sort of distance. If you complete the plan you will be able to run 10k, you might not be impressed with how long it takes though. Remember that comparison is the thief of joy. Have fun

I really appreciate the feedback. I still feel really new to running as a hobby and I think my plan is to complete these 9 weeks then try to run 30-40 minute runs 2 to 3 week days a week and a longer run (10k) on either Saturday or Sunday.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    brant710 wrote: »

I really appreciate the feedback. I still feel really new to running as a hobby and I think my plan is to complete these 9 weeks then try to run 30-40 minute runs 2 to 3 week days a week and a longer run (10k) on either Saturday or Sunday.

That's a pretty good plan, and I think I ended up on something like that, after I finished Bridge to 10K.
  • KRPolo
    KRPolo Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    My new shoes arrived! I've been taking it easy with very achy feet, so had ordered a new pair, which is wonderful! I ran 5k tonight in 35 minutes, which is still slow but felt better than it has in a few weeks. Long run his weekend!
  • mbaker566
    Options

Aahh the itch, try not to scratch it, it'll get worse. ;)

It's hard and if you are like me, watching the plan not be fulfilled is hard. You know how bad you feel, but xercising hard (running is stressful for the body) will delay your recovery. There will be a inversion point where exercising is less damaging than more rest. Here's hoping you can find that point.

i did not scratch. it's killing me. I have a half the first weekend in may :(
    i want to improve my speed and february i barely ran
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    KRPolo wrote: »
    My new shoes arrived! I've been taking it easy with very achy feet, so had ordered a new pair, which is wonderful! I ran 5k tonight in 35 minutes, which is still slow but felt better than it has in a few weeks. Long run his weekend!

Slow is a relative term. :wink: Glad you got new shoes!

My Girls on the Run coaching started up last week for the Spring session. It is good to be back with the girls, although I can't run with them for a while. There are always girls who just want to walk anyway. Recovery is moving along. I am approaching 4 weeks post-op at which point I can start trying to lift the arm on its own. Being back in the office has taken the wind out of my sails and I've only been to the gym once this week.
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    NIce to see some old faces posting again.

So this week so far, 16 miles on the bike Monday, 7.5miles Z2 run Tuesday, 7 mile fast finish run last night and a 4.5 mile z1 run this morning. Tomorrow is a rest day, although I might go out for a bike ride before work. The fast finish run is never fast enough, I still miss the "fast" pace although it is getting closer and I can handle the pace I do get, for longer. 20 mile long run over the weekend at some point as well as 3 hours at scrum factory (coach the coaches), 2 hours reffing and a 4 mile easy run.

Should be shattered just in time to go back to work.
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    Glad the new shoes are feeling good KRPolo! :)
    Ceci, hope all goes well when you start lifting your arm, glad you can still join in with your girls!
    Robbie Sounds like everything is going pretty well! I hate fast finish runs, I think more so than intervals and thus rarely do them *Bad taeliesyn!*

Just a few short runs for me this week, though I did end up with about 13k on Tuesday, partly by accident.

Live tracking link for my 100K is below. We will be kicking off at umm 7pm Saturday night perth time, so a little over 35 hours from now.

http://my2.raceresult.com/45304/results?lang=en#0_7B6BAD
  • KRPolo
    Options
    4.25 miles on the treadmill this am felt pretty good! Snow today in PA but it's supposed to be 70+ degrees next week, so can't wait to get back outside. I hope everyone else is having good runs!
  • mbaker566
    Options
    sicker and grumpier

horizontal-running2.jpg
  • ftrobbie
    Options

horizontal-running2.jpg

Made me titter :D
  • brant710
    brant710 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Was able to get in 4.25 miles this morning between waves of rain. I actually like running in light rain.
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    DNF for me..... pushed through to 50K for pikers bling though! I'll update later with a big recap.
    tldr: Tried to run 100K with a niggle.. failed and not smart to do!
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    Sorry to hear it, I think I looked at the results proabably just after you decided to pull out, as the timings between where 1st and you were, were not that different. Here's hoping that you have not done any serious damage. Hope the recovery is swift.
    brant710 wrote: »
    Was able to get in 4.25 miles this morning between waves of rain. I actually like running in light rain.
    Well done, it was wet and cold here and the thought of 20 miles, getting overheated, cold and wet, meant I stayed in, especially after doing scrum factory in the morning. It's Mothers day in the UK here so as well as reffing some U9 matches this morning, I am trying to sneak in a cheeky 20 miler as well as cooking. Feel as though logistical skills are going to be challenged.

• cyndi2012
    cyndi2012 Posts: 65 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I signed up for a duathlon in early May, so have backed off on B210K training for now in order to focus on speed rather than distance, and get some time in the saddle. Still too much snow and ice outside so have been going a little crazy on the treadmill and indoor bike trainer! But training is going well so far and I'm feeling super! Hope this is also the case for everyone else!
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    @cyndi2012 What length is your duathlon?
  • KRPolo
    Options
    A little over four miles outside today. It was still a little cold for my breathing, but got it done. Does anyone else have exercise induced asthma issues? For me, it usually doesn't stop me, but does add to my head games when I start feeling like I'm not breathing well. I have an inhaler, but generally don't use because of how much it dries out my lungs. Does anyone have any tips on breathing/getting into a rythm in general?

Two months until my first ten miler! Excited and nervous, but focused on raising as much as I can for American cancer Society, and keeping going toward my half marathon by the end of 2016 goal! Good running everyone!
  • mbaker566
    Options
    slept thru 4 alarms. no run this morning. hoping to get something this evening.