Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    KRPolo wrote: »
    A little over four miles outside today. It was still a little cold for my breathing, but got it done. Does anyone else have exercise induced asthma issues? For me, it usually doesn't stop me, but does add to my head games when I start feeling like I'm not breathing well. I have an inhaler, but generally don't use because of how much it dries out my lungs. Does anyone have any tips on breathing/getting into a rythm in general?

I used to suffer it a lot, but losing 6 stone helped me with getting rid of a whole load of symptoms caused by being clinically obese. I found taking salbutomol about 20 minutes before going out really helped. I knew I was going to suffer so pre medicated. I really don't think about breathing, I let it happen, I find focussing on posture more beneficial so imagining someone lifting me by my hair as well as trying to look ahead rather than down nearer my feet. Although knowing the suface you are running on is clearly beneficial.

Hope you find a solution that works for you.
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    slept thru 4 alarms. no run this morning. hoping to get something this evening.

The truth is out there!!
  • KRPolo
    KRPolo Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your response ftrobbie! I am sure it will continue to improve as I drop more weight. I am still over 200 lbs, so technically obese myself but know it will keep getting better if I just keep going. I will definitely focus on my posture too.

I've definitely found that having a goal race on the horizon is motivational, so I'm already looking for some runs over the summer. Kind of getting excited about the challenge of the 10 miler and then the HM in the fall!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    ftrobbie wrote: »
    moyer566 wrote: »
    slept thru 4 alarms. no run this morning. hoping to get something this evening.

The truth is out there!!

i signed up for a race this weekend. really need to get out there (we get pie at the end)
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I walked my usual 5k route at the national park on Friday, 3.82 miles in just over an hour. Saturday morning I did my version of a brick workout- 1 hour on the stationary bike followed by a 30 minute walk. Sunday afternoon, I walked the entire loop at the national park, just over 7 miles in just over 2 hours. I think I am still a couple of weeks away from being able to run, although I have been cleared to start using the arm and am working on building up the muscles that I haven't been using for a month. I am typing with both hands!
  • mbaker566
    Options
    yay. glad you are doing better
  • mbaker566
    Options
    ran in the afternoon. it was only 3.77. i need to get up to more mileage. but it's a good start
  • brant710
    brant710 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Ran 2.25 miles this morning. Short run but was glad to be able to run outside after all the rain we have had.
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    @KRPolo whilst I was out the last 2 nights, I thought about what really made a difference. The other thing I missed, is that I used to try and run every session like a race, faster and harder than the last one. When I actually settled down to doing mileage runs and the odd fast/ hill session, I found that I didn't end up with EIA anywhere near as frequently. Just a thought.

@Just_Ceci good to see you being active on your Strava feed, looks like the recovery is going well. Hopefully not too long before you are back out on your bike.

@moyer566 nice to see you signed up for a race. As you are recovering from illness, just take it easy. As said before exercise is a nasty itch if you scratch too much, too early. Just get back into gentle running more and more frequently and don't overstress yourself

Weekend was completely different to the plan, weather wasn't great so got the reffing done and 2 bike rides, one with my 8 year old which in hindsight I should have run whilst he cycled, such was the speed. However got the long run done Monday night (15m) and a short recovery run last night (4m). Was hoping to do 8 miles this morning but the weather is shocking, hopefully it will improve during today and I can get out after work.

Have fun and hope you training goes well
  • mbaker566
    Options
    @ftrobbie what sort of weather is shocking?
  • ftrobbie
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Heavy rain, freezing temperatures, 15mph northerly winds. The sort of weather when you get out of a warm bed, you wish you had stayed there for another hour. Parts of the route into work this morning were flooded, which is unusual. 90 minutes in that was never going to be fun. Positive side, Just in from work and hoping when the family get back and they have been fed I can go out and get that run done in the cold only.
  • mbaker566
    Options
    no run yet, but I'm planning on one this evening
  • brant710
    Options
    I got my run in today. Today wasn't a great run but I'm glad I didn't quit on it.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    It's raining here and on my way from the car into the PT office, I jogged so I wouldn't get wet, without thinking about it. It didn't hurt! Okay, so it was only a few seconds, but still!
  • KRPolo
    KRPolo Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Ran a slow 3 miles this am outside- beautiful morning. Doing my first real long run tomorrow- hoping to do 7 miles to keep on track with my 10 miler training plan. Another silly question for you experts- at what point/ mileage did you start carrying water with you?
  • mbaker566
    Options
    yoga tonight, race tomorrow.

i started carrying water around the 10 mile mark, though as it warms up. i just might bring it with me all the time
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    I start at around an hour if it's hot, but normally if I think I am going to be out for 90 minutes or more and how hydrated I feel. I tend to take on a pint of fluid before going out though.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    I carry water if I know I'll be out for over an hour, depending on how hot it is and how hydrated I am.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Depends on so much(Temp, humidity, whether full sun or shaded etc) for the water, but generally if I think I'll be out over an hour. If I know there are water burblers along where I'll be running, then often I'll leave the water home too.
  • brant710
    Options
    Ran 5.5 miles this morning. The furthest I've ever run in my life. So stoked!