Exercise and Weight Loss Challenges

Options

Replies

• gmabethof3
    gmabethof3 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Charlie, I have a torn retna and the start of cataracts in left eye. It's causing blurry vision. Luckily my right eye is not having any problems.
  • gmabethof3
    Options
    Charlie, I am typing from my phone, I don't know why everything is in bold....lol
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Good luck with the surgery! The torn retina doesn't sound like fun. Cataract surgery is a breeze, but yours sounds much more serious. Had you had a lot of floaters? Bright flashes? Aren't those sometimes symptoms?
  • gaylebodine
    gaylebodine Posts: 1,678 Member
    Options
    3/04/16: 179.7 Lean into Spring Challenge beginning weight.
    3/12/16: 179.6
    Hello everyone, love seeing you here! Mary, glad your surgery went well! Have a class today, will check in later.
  • gmabethof3
    Options
    Good luck with the surgery! The torn retina doesn't sound like fun. Cataract surgery is a breeze, but yours sounds much more serious. Had you had a lot of floaters? Bright flashes? Aren't those sometimes symptoms?

Charlie, Thanks, I am having the surgery sometimes next week, seeing the doc again Thursday for pre-op on the retina. Yes those are the symptoms. At first I though my glasses were dirty, and I was always taking them off and cleaning. I do get bright flashes at nights, so it has kept me from driving. Not really looking forward to the surgery, but I am looking forward to being able to see without floaters and flashes...
  • MapDancer
    MapDancer Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    3/18: 132.4 / BMI 24.1

I keep seeing articles about healthy BMI for 60+ is in the 25-27 range. That would be 137-147 lbs. I am very comfortable being 130-133 and it hasn't been a struggle to stay here, though I haven't seen 130.0 in many months. Getting to 130 was based on where I was in my 30s, but getting to a healthy BMI (136) was really the goal.

Does anyone else use the senior BMI range to set their goal?
  • gmabethof3
    edited March 2016
    Options
    March 4 - May 6 Challenge

March 4 - 178.4
    March 11 - 178.0
    March 18 - 177.8

Ill take this loss.....I went back to the eye Dr., and they have found that their is another tear in my retina, I am scheduled for surgery Next Wednesday. Not allowed to go to gym till I have my post op visit to make sure that it doesn't get worse. I am aloud to walk and continue household chores (how come I never get something that is to keep me from house hold chores...LOL). So I will walk as much as possible to get in those burns.

Hope everyone has a great weekend, and I look forward in seeing how well everyone did on the challenge this week. :)
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Pam, I've mentioned this many time, but most people feel that if they came this far, they want to get into the "healthy" range rather than the slightly overweight range that is recommended for 60+. My doctors both told me they thought I should stop at 141(slightly overweight), but I wanted 130 (within the standard healthy BMI range). You and I are about the same size and I figured that would get me into a size 6. Of course, I haven't made that yet. Right now, I'll be happy to get back to 141.

Scientifically though, it is proven that once a person hits the age of 60, the "healthy" span of BMI shifts into the slightly overweight range. People will live longer if they are slightly overweight. I think I put a link in the article section.
  • gaylebodine
    Options
    2/19/16: 180.3

Charlie, thanks for the "slightly overweight" link to longevity. Makes sense to me that a little extra could get one through a bout of flu or other ailment/fever that can cause weight loss. I would love to have 165 as my every day "slightly overweight" weight. Having trouble staying out of the 180's right now but going to keep at it. When I was younger my usual weight was around 135. Realistically I know that is not a healthy weight goal for me.
  • gmabethof3
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Morning Ladies...Happy Sunday...Can I ask you ladies for as many shoulders as I can get? I did tell you about my eye surgery Wednesday, not at all looking forward to this. To top things off, my Pulmonary Dr. called me Friday to say that my annual chest ex-ray found something in my lungs that was not there a year ago, he said that he needed to see me, but could not see me till Tuesday, since his office is closed on Monday's. Now I am a basket of nerve's till Tuesday, Why do they tell you something like this on Friday and give you the whole weekend to worry?
  • MapDancer
    MapDancer Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Charlie Re: senior BMI range. The studies are plentiful for the higher BMI but I was curious if it really changes someones goals. As you said it hasn't " My doctors both told me they thought I should stop at 141(slightly overweight), but I wanted 130". I'm concerned that while I've been hovering at 132.6 that I don't want that to be an excuse to creep up even to 135. There are many, many studies with the high failure rates of keeping weight off. This has been my first and only weight loss project and I want to keep it that way.

Beth: I totally agree - but by telling you Friday it was so they could set up an appt on Tuesday I guess. You are in my thoughts. I had a friend who did professional baking and her lung x-rays showed a lot of flour...

I'm looking forward to warmer weather. I noticed that being cold made me more munchy. DH came back from England yesterday after 12 days and was 5lbs. less - he did a lot of walking and was impressed with all the public transportation and pedestrian friendly areas in Oxford and Bristol where he stayed.

• dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies,

I am here. I cannot weigh in. No scales. I have two more nights in hotels and then I am home. I have enjoyed the time away but still struggling with nagging health issues which I hope to attend to as soon as I am home. I did achieve my goal this month which was to stay with you and not wander away as I did last year. I also ate as well as possible while away. So I will attack the weight again next week.

Beth: Sympathy. Yes, prior to weekend news just doesn't help. Tuesday is almost here. Try not to worry until you really know you have something to worry about. Easy to say, I know. Thinking of you.

Higher BMI when older: I really do not find lumping all seniors of 60+ in one group helpful. It happened in the courses I took and it is rampant in the exercise courses too. There is a HUGE difference in a well and active senior of 62 :) and a frail inactive 87 year old, They do want a little more "meat on the bones" so that you have reserves if you have a major infection or illness, but, most healthy adults (seniors or not) can lose up to 10lbs with an illness and still not be considered frail. And, if general health is good, we gain back to our normal pretty quickly when we get well again, Different if we are less healthy and certainly different when we get older than all of us! I am not going to shoot for what I was when I was 20 but I would like to be what I was when I was 35 and do not feel this would make me in danger of not being able to recover from an illness. I am with Charlie. I want my goal, Normal BMI not overweight BMI. However, I am still a ways from 'slightly' overweight so I will cross that bridge when I get to it!

• dasher602014
    Options
    Came back to freezing rain and snow. Sigh. But at least the driving was clear all the way home.

And .....

after a month without scales and not logging my food in mfp and freewheeling while on vacation, I am half a lb less than when I left. I obvious have maintenance figured out! Trouble is I am maintaining at too high a weight. But I am pleased that I did not gain weight while away.

Now to knuckle down to lower the weight.
  • gmabethof3
    Options
    March 4 - May 6 Challenge

March 4 - 178.4
    March 11 - 178.0
    March 18 - 177.8
    March 25 - 178.0

I know its up, but I my clothes are still fitting better, in fact a few of them are actually starting to hang on me....YEA!!!! so I will take this little gain..Still not aloud to go to gym till checkup on the eye. but doing walking and light stuff.
  • dasher602014
    Options
    Glad to hear you are doing well, Beth. Do NOT go to the gym until cleared. We put higher pressure on the eye without knowing it particularly when we lift things. I know you will behave.

Talk soon.

M
  • gmabethof3
    Options
    Thanks Marney, I am staying away from the gym, just doing a little walking and doing things around the house. I am not a fan of pain, so I will make sure I do not have to go back and have that eye surgery again. Thanks again.. Beth
  • gaylebodine
    Options
    3/19/16: 180.3
    3/26/16: 182.2
    All I can do is keep coming back to basics whenever I am able. Struggling. Thanks for being there guys!
  • gaylebodine
    Options
    Beth, I'm thinking of you and you can use my shoulder anytime! Think they should have just said that you need a follow up appointment next week. Worry is not good for a body! Hope you can put your worry aside, for the most part and enjoy the weekend.
  • dasher602014
    Options
    Jan 8: 167.5 -1
    Jan17: 169 +1.5
    Jan 22: 166 -3
    Jan 29: 166
    Feb 4: 166
    Feb 12: 165.5 -.5
    Feb 19: 165 -.5
    March 28: 168 +3

Like Gayle, basics, basics, basics.
  • dasher602014
    Options
    Beth, I would tell your doctor about the extra stress when you are recovering from your eye surgery and over Easter too! I am pretty sure they could have done things differently. Thinking of you. Try not to worry until you know what to worry about, if anything.