Exercise and Weight Loss Challenges

Replies

• MapDancer
    MapDancer Posts: 246 Member
    DH had an evening hockey game so he was falling asleep by 10:30. I went out alone to a clear sky at 11:30 and saw a dozen meteors. Composed a limerick (DH is much better at this than I am):
    When asked how I lost this much weight,
    It's due to a much smaller plate.
    Watching k-dramas still
    While on the treadmill
    Has made it easy and I'm feeling so great!

92 days now with a morning weight between 129-132.0

Charlie: I just remembered that you asked about pajeon calories. Trader Joe's approx 5" (100 grams) is 160 calories. I haven't worked on my own recipe much since I like their version - especially with kimchi on the side.

Yes, we finished Fated to Love You and really enjoyed it- great twists and turns. Jang Hyuk looked so much better with short hair - like a different person!
    We're watching The Scholar Who Walks in the Night live. Will need something to fill in the gaps while waiting.

Gayle: Interesting statement about ice. I've always been fascinated by food taboos and the economic influences. It would be interesting to be a nutritional anthropologist - but where would I find a job??
  • Cclill
    Cclill Posts: 191 Member
    Quick post before out the door
    Gayle - YAY for 173.5!!!!!
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    @dasher602014 @Cclill Kudos to you both! Atkins is not an easy plan to follow, but effective and healthy for many reasons and for many people.

I have not had a better week, but I have not gained per se so that is a plus. I am once again at 148. (still 5 pounds over my low of 143 although I have been as low as 145 this week). I don't know what more I can do! :/ I have the following stats for the past 6 days. My week is Sat-Fri so I don't have today's yet.

In 6 days:
    I have walked 99,427 steps with an average of 14,696 per day.
    I had a total deficit over 6 days of 6,434 calories.
    I averaged 130 min. per day of active minutes and a total of 908 minutes total for 6 days. (recommended 150 per wk.) Active minutes are minutes with a MET of over 3 sustained for at least 10 continuous minutes.

Given all that, I should have lost at least 1 1/2 pounds if going by the 3500 calorie deficit theory, but I believe that article that was posted that the longer you diet, the slower and slower your metabolism is so that at the average for one year is more like 7000 calories for a pound and after a year, who knows? 10,000? 15,000?. Let's face it, I can't up it anymore to make up for it the slowdown. Just not enough hours in a day for more exercise and I don't want my body to get used to more exercise or it will be too difficult to maintain if I ever get to my goal and I get older. And I can't eat less than 1200 a day.

Now the only saving grace is that I tend to whoosh. But I'm due. I first saw 143 on 7/13 and frankly 148 was my low way back in February.

Given all that, I'm not really complaining. I'm just stumped on what I can do to lose this final 13-18 pounds. I know this is a lifestyle change and even when I hit my goal, I will never be able to go back to eating whatever or whenever I want without gaining weight. I won't be able to sit on my butt and read all day instead of going to the gym.

Hope you all have something better to report this week than I have!

You cannot do more! Hopefully you will whoosh soon. I will have my fingers crossed this week for you.

I have been watching youtube videos from Dr Jason Fung here in Toronto. He gives lunch hour lectures at hospitals. Here is a link to the first of a 6 part series on obesity. He has interesting lectures on the vilification of salt and about calcium too. A particular point of view but convincing because of all the meta data presented. If you think worthwhile, I will post to our other thread too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpllomiDMX0

Marney

• drags59
    drags59 Posts: 85 Member
    Challenge Goal: 245

July 3 - 260.4
    July 10 - 259.2
    July 17 - 258.4
    July 24 - 253.4
    July 31 - 255.2
    Aug 7 - 255.2
    Aug 14 - 258.....sigh
  • dasher602014
    edited August 2015
    Good for you Gayle, down again!

gmabeth, great news that things are smaller on you. It is such a good feeling. Keep it going!

I am down 3 old pounds and 1 new pound. Not near my low of before my trip south so many months ago but I am losing!

So 172.5 at the moment.

Peter is down 7 lbs and his BS is better than it has been since he was diagnosed 2 years ago. It does p@@###ss me off that we were on an Atkins/South Beach track after he was diagnosed but we were convinced not to pursue it by dietitians who consul diabetics. Two years and may drugs later, we are back to what we thought was right, but now at a doctors suggestion.

Monday will mark the first week.

We survived the golf tournament dinner without going off plan. Hurray!!!!
  • maryschwartzroby
    maryschwartzroby Posts: 161 Member

Challenge Goal: 157.6
    April 3rd-157.5
    April 10th-164.5
    April 17th-161.5
    April 24th-166
    May 2nd-164.0
    May 8th-164.0
    May 15th-165.0
    May22-165.5
    May 29th-164.0
    June 18th-170
    July3rd-171.0
    July10th-168.5
    July 17th-170.0
    Aug 15th-178
  • maryschwartzroby
    maryschwartzroby Posts: 161 Member
    No excuses,just been under a lot of stress.Starting over tomorrow.
  • dasher602014
    Ladies,

Up, down or the same. The important thing is that is on your 'project' list and you are working on it. I know I am back after a 10 lb + gain and it is frustrating. But, by logging on and sharing, change is possible. So give yourself points for being here and telling us.

Next week is a new week. Results will be better.
  • gmabethof3
    gmabethof3 Posts: 267 Member
    I think all of us Ladies are doing such a great job. If we are up, the same or even down, I know that we are all working hard for the same result and we should all be proud of ourselves. Three weeks left in this challenge, looking forward to another..

Everyone have a great weekend, and make good choices.
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,356 Member
    I know that Gayle read the article about the "fallback plan" that I linked in the articles thread. I really think this is a good idea for not "giving up" when you get off plan. It is simply to choose one thing that you know you will do when you screw up or when your heart just isn't in it. It must be something that you can easily do! Really easily and really simple! Like drink and extra glass of water! Leave the cream out of one cup of coffee! Touch your toes 10 times! Eat an extra serving of veggies. Anything that you like to do that it good for you. It is easier to understand if you read the article.

Me, I really LOVE to walk so mine is 15 minutes of walking! This is my fallback plan. No matter how badly I eat or how lazy I feel, I can easily walk 15 minutes. So when you do screw up -- and we all do -- we don't let ourselves to feel like we have totally retreated! We don't have to say, "Starting tomorrow." We can say, "I'm doing this right now as part of my healthy lifestyle!" Self-talk and these little hacks work, ladies. We really can "trick" ourselves, even when we know we are doing it!
  • grandmothercharlie
    @Marney, please post the link in the links area! This is a wonderful video. I've only spot watched and will watch in its entirety later. It sounds like this Dr. is pretty much saying what I was getting at above. I'm anxious to hear what he suggests to kickstart and re-loss.

I can't complain. I've lost 95 pounds, and I would say 90 of those were pretty easy. But, now, like he says, at times I feel really hungry and my workouts don't seem to really be as effective. Also, I don't have as much energy when I work out.

I know that some people have slowly upped their calories to try to "reset" their TDEE. And then reduce their calories more by a percentage rather than a set number of calories. I have tried upping calories, but I think I did it too quickly. All I did was gain weight. It is also so difficult for me with my water retention problems caused by my heart failure. I have huge fluctuations so it is difficult to decide what is a gain and what is water.
  • grandmothercharlie
    Being really light for breakfast and lunch today. Meeting my DD, her SO, his mom, and my two best friends for dinner after work. (Already have my dinner planned. Will end up about 1300 calories for the day, but I've been really good this week. And I did get in a good walk at lunchtime and still will do tai chi practice while waiting to go to meet them.) Then a performance of "Grease" at the Children's Theater by the "teen" company. I have seen Grease on Broadway, the Broadway traveling series, and several other productions through the years, but about 15 years ago, the teens at the Children's Theater beat all the others out! I saw it 3 times! I think it takes teens to play teens! Very excited.

Tomorrow going with friends to a movie about Jerusalem that has been much discussed. Then, if weather holds, think I will stay in town, grab a picnic, a head for a production of The Miser adapted from Moliere in the park! Summer is almost over and theater in the park is hurting because of all our rain. I still need to get this final play of the summer in!
  • gaylebodine
    gaylebodine Posts: 1,689 Member
    Great to see you back Mary! Cheryl, hang in there, know you have been mourning your doggie. Saw you were under calories recently. Thanks everyone for your hard work and support!
  • gaylebodine
    Marney, thanks for the video. Loved the history of weight loss theory. Yep, foods that produce that insulin response, sweets, refined flour products, bananas, grapes. Thanks for reminding me about bananas.
  • Cclill
    Reporting twice this week cuz first report was late, and now im thrilled to report ive dipped into 189's again!
    Goal: lose one pound a week.
    7/2/15-193
    7/11/15-192.8
    7/17/15 - 191
    7/24/15-189.2
    8/2/15-190.2
    Family reunion
    8/11/15-190.8
    8/14/15-189.6
  • gaylebodine
    Lill, whatever works for you! I have a report as well: feeling more clear headed and calm since Chinese Medicine on Thursday. Also have finally broken my months long plateau! Might just be a clease effect, but I'll take it (I'm talking about my "check in" weight).
  • Cclill
    Pilates
    Sorry i cant find who posted comment that pilates is hard, but this reply is for you and everyone.
    Perhaps you werent doing beginners pilates? The first class i took was very easy and just called pilates so i assumed there was only one kind.
    imagine my embarrassment when i went to a different class by the same name, and couldnt keep up! I was still struggling to get into the second position when the rest had moved on to the third! I eventually gave up and just lay there like a slug.
    Beginners pilates is like "slow motion yoga", all sitting or lying down, with breaks between each pose and lots of stretching. Very relaxing. If it isnt relaxing, it isnt beginners. I will try to post links. If i fail, go to www.efit30.com.au
    There you will find 34 free pilates videos. Look for one with instructor wearing hot pink leotard. She has short brown hair and english accent. I have found two different beginner routines by her so far. But Both have one pose i cannot do at all. Perhaps they are in there so i dont get complacent.
  • grandmothercharlie
    It may have been me saying Pilates is difficult for me. I have positional vertigo so that is one reason. But before that when I was young so just found it too boring to do. That's why I admire people who do it!
  • gaylebodine
    I have "resisted" pilates because it did seem hard and also expensive. Only my rich friends, when I lived in Boulder, did it. I thought you had to have some sort of fancy table and of course the most fashionable leotard as well. Hmmm, guess that was before the internet made such things available to people in sweat pants from walmart ;)
    So, I will look at the video and maybe give it a try. Thanks Lill!
  • Cclill
    To each her own of course, so here is a bit more why pilates works for me, personally. Yoga bores me, but pilates doesnt because the constant slow motion isometrics keep my brain occupied, and the teachers constant patter about what my body should be doing keeps me alert. For instance every once in awhile she'll say "relax your face" and i'll realize im grimacing. I also like that the slow motion isometrics make results quick and easy to detect. I can feel myself get more flexible and stronger. Yesterday i realized my shoulders were less rounded.