Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• KRPolo
    KRPolo Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Today was scheduled to be my first real long run in training for the ten miler in May and fall HM and... I RAN 9 MILES!!! I have never been so excited in my life and I feel like I just may be a runner! Didn't intend on going that far, but had to use the bathroom part way out, which was 4.5 miles away, so I just kept going. Short break there and then figured I'd just see if I could run all the way back. I feel like I really conquered my head games today- thanks to everyone here for the ongoing support and tips!
  • Deejalert
    Deejalert Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Did week 12 day 2 today. Then ran a few extra intervals after. Logged just over 8 miles total. End of c210k is in sight. Starting to plan what is next.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Great work everyone, I'm still broken. Tested the ankle at parkrun and although it warmed out, I'm not happy that it hurt to begin with, and I know I don't have full range of motion yet. Oh well back to the power walking :)
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    good job guys

I ran the race on saturday. it was confusing weather on what to wear. but i put together a fun outfit. It was a pi(pie) race.
    i beat my last 5k and the hills, oh the hills. I can only imagine what my time would have been on a flat course

i did 4.87 this morning
  • brant710
    brant710 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Short 3 miles in the dark this morning.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    79 degrees for my afternoon walk yesterday. I even managed to run a little. My PT said he's okay with that as long as I am careful not to fall. He changed up my homework to include more strength training and working on putting some pressure on the shoulder (think wall push-ups almost). Getting a little better each day!
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Good to see you guys out and about, have not done anything since Friday, other than some easy reffing. Been down with a viral infection and have spent 12 hours a day in bed over the weekend. Away from home at the moment so no comfort of my own bed and the vagaries of chain hotel food.

@taeliesyn had not appreciated you were still broken, I had wondered why you had not been pounding the k's. Hope it heals up soon
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    @ftrobbie Although being broken sucks, I'm not badly broken so should be back running soon hopefully (Test run tonight) I must admit, dropping the pressure of my run streak and the stupid amount of races I had planned on entering has been a pretty big relief. I think once I'm back to running properly, I should have a better mojo than I've had for the last month or two.
    Hope you're over the virus soon mate, never nice being sick, let alone when you're away from home.

@moyer566 Well done on your race :)

@brant710 Good work :)

@Just_Ceci Yay for the clearance to run and the continued healing/improvement!
  • mbaker566
    Options
    i didn't run today. kidney area in my back hurt. I'm pounding the water and hoping that takes care of it
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    Stationary bike is better than no bike, but just barely. :neutral: Almost 8 miles in 30 minutes yesterday. Planning to try a run today.
  • brant710
    Options
    Since you guys are becoming my running community and I still consider myself a newbie I'll ask a newbie question. So far both of the 9 week plans I've done have been 3 day a week running plans. How do you know when you can do more than that? What's the best way to run more often? What do you do on days you don't run? Thanks for any and all advice.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    On days I don't run, I ride my bicycle. Some days I do both- a hard bike ride followed by an easier run. (I'm really a cyclist with a running problem!) I didn't really go to running 4 or more days a week until I started a half marathon training plan. It really wasn't hard adding another day of running. I think for me it's easiest to do 3 shorter (2 - 3 miles) runs and one longer run a week. My last half plan had me doing a short (2 mile) recovery run on the day after my longer run. I think as long as you aren't increasing your overall mileage by too much each week, you should be good! (This coming from the cyclist who happens to run some too. :p )
  • CariTJR
    CariTJR Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I just graduated, I ran my first ever 5k (3.49 miles to be precise) on Monday night at Running Club. We had no idea it was coming, we'd been doing intervals up until now and our coach just sprang it on us, telling us as we grouped together to start the run that we'd be doing the 4 mile route non-stop (includes warm up/down). A few of us sort of said "what the hell?" but he just said "come on, lets do this", and we did! I was slow, very slow (13 min miles), but i'd like to improve on this. What i'd like to know is how to do this? Do I just keep running 5k until I find it easy? Or is there more strategy involved? Thanks.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    So on Sunday I ran the Larmer Tree Half Marathon, on the border of Wiltshire and Dorset. A pretty hilly trail Half running out of the Larmer Tree Gardens near Tollard Royal. I had been supposed to run the Marathon, but in January I picked up a muscle strain in my right calf that hammered my ileage and left me several weeks behind plan. So rather than a wash I downgraded and deferred my Marathon aspirations to June.

With my mileage quite far behind, and not getting all my planned sessions in I had to moderate my expectations for the race, so no time in mind and the main focus was just finishing the race and feeling comfortable in the end. It's a single day event, with a Marathon, 20 Miler and Half Marathon with start times allowing for the routes to converge and the races to come together at points on the route.

It's an hour from home, so I aimed to get there in time to pick up, and buy a couple of things; Muffs, tech tee and a mug. Joining the queue for the loos before kitting up. As it was cold, 1C at the start line, I opted for tights, long sleeved top and gloves initially, wearing my race pack with water, Honey Stinger chews, a windshell, hat and my camera. No phone as there's minimal signal in the area.

Initially it was 100metres of descent, in the first mile, setting the tone for the rest of the race. Over the route there was nearly 500metres of ascent, over three major climbs and four minor. I'd raced in the area before, with the same Race Director and various other personalities. The Ox, which I'm doing again in May, so I knew what I was in for.

The weather had been dry for about a week, but still some muddy patches, with the majority being in reasonable condition. I opted for my Saucony Xodus shoes, which are pretty stiff, but grippy and nicely controlled on the trail.

Four kilometres in we hit the first steep ascent, a 13% gradient and one I was familiar with from the Ox. Brutal and persistent for one kilometre, but reaching the first aid station, where it was time to stop for a quick drink of water before moving on and into a couple of steep, fast descents. We lost most of the height in about half the distance it had taken to gain it. As ever in this type of race the same people were passing, and being passed, including a couple of CaniCrossers with their dogs, who were loving both the run, and the attention from runners. Some good chat amongst everyone.

Four kilometres of persistent climbing was hard, sapping the legs and leaving me willing myself on. The warnings of the next aid station started as we were running narrow single track through thick forestry, and it was a welcome break. The Lovestation, stocked with cider, vodka, cake, flapjacks and hugs if they're needed. At 13km a cider was welcome, and a quick breather left me ready for the next stage, losing all that height we'd just worked so hard to attain. Again nicely fast, packed trail and sure footing made for a fun part of the race.

Turning a corner towards the bottom left us faced with yet another steep climb, but by this time we'd converged with marathoners and 20 milers, so plenty company and much friendly conversation. Only another 5km to go, but knowing that it was a White Star race, so probably more than that. Trail races don't do accurate distances.

A narrow goat track descending down the slope again meant a fairly tricky stage, keeping balance when quite tired was more of the challenge until we hit the final aid station. Another quick drink along with admonishments from the team to "stop being so bloody polite and waiting by the bins, we'll pick them up". A side effect of the area is a complete absence of litter on the route.

Four hundred metres to go, and I was flagging. The last stretch was hard and I needed the support from those around the last stretch.

I was happy enough with 2:33:15. My right leg survived wthout any significant pain, and I didn't feel as beaten up as I had in previous races.

All good fun.

This is a video of the full, to give some appreciation of the area.

And me at the 3 mile point
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    @CariTJR Congrats on the 5k! Most of us moved to a 5 to 10k plan after completing the C25k. You can just keep running 3 or 4 days a week. Adding in some hill repeats and speed intervals will help increase your speed.

@MeanderingMammal Good that you got to run the half, thanks for the great run report!
  • brant710
    Options
    Knocked out 30 minute run this morning.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    brant710 wrote: »
    Knocked out 30 minute run this morning.

I'm hoping to do that tomorrow.
  • mbaker566
    Options
    slushies are falling from the sky
  • brant710
    Options
    Had to travel for a family event but was able to kick out a 30 minute 5k this morning.
  • cyndi2012
    cyndi2012 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    ftrobbie wrote: »
    @cyndi2012 What length is your duathlon?

@ftrobbie it's a 3 km run, 20 km bike, 3 km run