Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• CariTJR
    CariTJR Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    taeliesyn wrote: »
    Speed is relative @brant710 all of us here are slow compared to the WR holders. Good work on your 5k! :)

I was thinking exactly the same. Its pointless constantly comparing youself to others, there will always be those who are faster than you (and slower!), the only person you should be judging yourself against is you. As long as you're progressing and beating your own goals, then that's all that matters, no matter how fast/slow you are.

• Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Hi guys, I was here last year and it helped me a lot to run 10k. Then I stopped running for the winter and now I am back for another season! Did a 5k race yesterday - I finished in 31 min and ready to start a 10 week journey to a 10k race on June 4!
  • brant710
    brant710 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    CariTJR wrote: »
    Speed is relative @brant710 all of us here are slow compared to the WR holders. Good work on your 5k! :)

I was thinking exactly the same. Its pointless constantly comparing youself to others, there will always be those who are faster than you (and slower!), the only person you should be judging yourself against is you. As long as you're progressing and beating your own goals, then that's all that matters, no matter how fast/slow you are.

No I completely agree. I'm really excited with where I am but I want to get better. I'd like to get down to a 30 minute 5k and then I'm sure I'll want to go faster. That's the nature of challenging yourself.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    brant710 wrote: »

No I completely agree. I'm really excited with where I am but I want to get better. I'd like to get down to a 30 minute 5k and then I'm sure I'll want to go faster. That's the nature of challenging yourself.

Great you want to improve :) Next time, try slower than my target, or slow for me, slower than I would like. That way it's relative to you.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    brant710 wrote: »

totally get it. i'm still working on a sub 30. I would be able to place in my age group at some races around here. that would be unbelievable

i'm coming around to a year of running.

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    So first week of my Marathon cycle complete after a week off following the last race.

Four runs:
    • 7km easy paved on pavement in London
    • 10km tempo on pavement in London
    • 7km easy paced on hilly trails near home
    • 18km easy paced on pavement near home

All pretty good and I took the opportunity to use my new trail shoes again offroad. IT was a fairly tight circular route as I wasn't sure if they'd contributed to my calf problem in February, so I left myself the option of bailing out if I started to have difficulties. All went well.

Weather this weekend has been vile, heavy rain, hail, gusty wind.

I also took a bit of time on Saturday to do some maintenance on my turbo trainer bike as I'm using that for a bit of cross training.
  • CariTJR
    Options
    4 miles tonight, my furthest continuous distance so far. Slowly moving forward.
  • mbaker566
    Options
    4 miles tonight, my furthest continuous distance so far. Slowly moving forward.

slow is good. it will be a sturdy running base
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    3 mile run yesterday in 34:20. PT gave me the okay to try the bike this week, on the trainer first, then short greenway or national park ride.
    isbrs7kjkcqe.gif
  • Cementite
    Cementite Posts: 17 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Ran Week 11 day 1 from Zen Labs 10K app today :)
  • CariTJR
    Options
    A very short 2.19 miles tonight, trying not too push to hard too quickly. Keeping is slow and easy.
  • Aine8046
    Options
    Did Week1Day1 tonight - 3 miles in 32 min :)
  • sleepigrl
    sleepigrl Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Week 1, Day 1 last night. I'm using the RunDouble timed app, so it was 5-8 minute running segments with 1 minute walks in between. I was worried that I wouldn't be able to make such a big jump in time from week 9's 30 minute runs, but I went really slow and made it right through all the runs! I'm really, really slow (think turtles swimming in winter molasses), but I ran the better part of three miles. Not too bad considering that I couldn't even run 60 seconds when I started C25K the first time last year!

@Aine8046, maybe I'll catch up to you at some point! :)
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Great work everyone! :)

I'm still trudging through my recovery, had 2 good runs and then one so so run last night. Good thing I'm off to see the physio again today.
  • Aine8046
    Options
    sleepigrl wrote: »
    Week 1, Day 1 last night. I'm using the RunDouble timed app, so it was 5-8 minute running segments with 1 minute walks in between. I was worried that I wouldn't be able to make such a big jump in time from week 9's 30 minute runs, but I went really slow and made it right through all the runs! I'm really, really slow (think turtles swimming in winter molasses), but I ran the better part of three miles. Not too bad considering that I couldn't even run 60 seconds when I started C25K the first time last year!

@Aine8046, maybe I'll catch up to you at some point! :)

I think you'll beat me! I have a 10 weak plan :)
  • mbaker566
    Options
    irritable. no runs
    have a flare preceded by a lingering cold
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I did a 10k last night- on the elliptical :neutral:

ETA: Great job everyone! (except @moyer566 - hope you feel better soon!)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    So last night was a cooper test, to assess my forecast marathon completion time and recalibrate the paces on my training. After a long day at work I was tempted to just go and do a gentle 10K rather than thrash myself with a fitness test, but despite being a bit hungry and dehydrated I went for it. Warm up, 12 minutes of best effort and then a cooldown.

I was also wearing nearly brand new shoes, with only 8km in them, and a newer model than my usuals. They're ok, but more cushioned and bouncy than I'm used to, so a little odd although I don't think it made a material difference to my result.

2.5km in 12 minutes would forecast a 4:30 marathon, which I'm pretty comfortable with at the moment.

In military fitness test tesms, I passed the standard for a below 25 year old, which is pleasing given that I'm somewhat more than that.
  • mbaker566
    edited April 2016
    Options
    still irritable but i plan on running today or tomorrow or both. running and yoga makes it all better
    thanks @Just_Ceci slowly recovering
  • Aine8046
    Options
    W1D2 done! Felt tired and did it slower than usual, but finished! :)