Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• sleepigrl
    sleepigrl Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    W1D2 done, and I just realized that I've run 10 miles in the past week. I didn't think I'd ever hear myself say that!
  • KRPolo
    KRPolo Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Ran five miles on a local trail today in about an hour. Felt slow but the trail was hillier than my usual too, so thrilled that I kept going. Only one month until my ten miler, so feeling like I need to kick it up a notch over the next few weeks!
  • cyndi2012
    cyndi2012 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    6k done on Thursday, and added a short 3k this morning for part 1 of my brick workout. Sure wish the weather was warmer though!
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Yesterday, I manned a water station at our local 1/2 marathon with my Girls on the Run bunch- no measurable distance, but I lost my voice and my glutes are yelling at me today! I did manage a run at the national park yesterday afternoon for a whopping 3.72 miles! (5k in 35:30)
  • Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    W1D3 is done! Ready for week 2 :)
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    3 mile run at lunch today. It was hot! 34:35
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    I hit the stationary bike at the gym after work yesterday for 10 miles. That helped the sore muscles tremendously!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    So week two of my marathon plan last week, coupled with two new pairs of road shoes. I've been running in Hurricane 15s but had a pair of 16s in reserve. My older pair of 15s are starting to cause a few niggles, having done about 450 miles, so I've brought the 16s into the cycle.

They're the same drop, 8mm heel to toe, but with more forefoot cushioning and a wider heel than the 15s, just much more shoe so a very plush ride. I didn't much like them last week as it felt like I had less ground feel, but we'll see how they do.

I also took the opportunity to pick up a pair of Inov-8 Road Claw 275, a 6mm neutral shoe rather than the motion control. I've much preferred neutrals on the trail so thought I'd give them a try. Very limited forefoot protection but still some cushion in the heel, so much lower stack height. I only used them for a short run, 8km, but really liked the feel. My calves felt the impact though so I'll need to work up with them.

Again, four runs:
    • 9km easy paced in the Hurricane 16s.
    • Cooper test - 12 minutes best effort with a 5 minute warm up and cool down, again in the hurricane 16s
    • 8km easy paced in the Road Claws
    • 19m easy paced in the older Hurricane 15s with about 350 on the clock

Better weather than anticipated through the week, and it's starting to get light in the evenings, which is nice.

For the 19km run on Sunday I took the opportunity to recce a longer trail anticipating a nicely circular route when I'm getting to the 20 milers.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    got 5 in yesterday and hoping for another 5 tomorrow
  • sleepigrl
    edited April 2016
    Options
    W1D3 done last night. I'm using the RunDouble 5 to 10K plan (timed) but the increases are huge - from 30 minutes running last week to 40 this week (I'm slow, but it's still going from just over 2 miles to just under 3 miles). The sudden increase is giving me some aches and pains so I may do a couple more week 1 days before moving on to week 2.
  • KRPolo
    KRPolo Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Ran 3 miles Monday outside and 4.25 today on the treadmill due to COLD weather here. Planning to run five miles tomorrow or Friday, and then long run scheduled for outside on Saturday, but I heard we may get snow- YUCK!! Only one month until my ten miler for American Cancer Society, so thinking I will start some cross training tomorrow- either on the stationary bike or elliptical and some weights. Does anyone here have any fundraising ideas? Still well short of my goal.
  • Just_Ceci
    edited April 2016
    Options
    KRPolo wrote: »
    Ran 3 miles Monday outside and 4.25 today on the treadmill due to COLD weather here. Planning to run five miles tomorrow or Friday, and then long run scheduled for outside on Saturday, but I heard we may get snow- YUCK!! Only one month until my ten miler for American Cancer Society, so thinking I will start some cross training tomorrow- either on the stationary bike or elliptical and some weights. Does anyone here have any fundraising ideas? Still well short of my goal.

I easily raise $100 by setting up a bake sale at work with signs saying please donate to...

ETA: I usually make a couple of kinds of cookies and some brownies.

Otherwise I do all my fundraising via Facebook.
  • Aine8046
    Options
    Week 2 is difficult. Did D1 on Tuesday and D2 today. Tuesday was awfully slow, today was better, but still sower than usual and I feel bloated and gained 3 lbs since last week :( Will do D3 on Sunday - hopefully it will be better!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Marathon week three. Feeling pretty good about progress at the moment, although life is pretty busy so getting the miles in is going to be the challenge over the next three weeks.

I'm not liking the Hurricane 16s, the forefoot cushioning is far more than the previous version and it seems to be making my gait uncomfortable. I've got a mild concern as my 15s have got 350 miles in them so I'll need to retire them fairly soon.

Four runs, with back to back longs over the weekend:
    • 9km easy pace on pavement with the Hurricane 16s
    • 10km tempo on pavement with the Hurricane 16s
    • 13km easy on trail in my Inov-8 Race Ultra trail shoes
    • 19km easy on a mixed pavement and trail route in my Huirricane 15s

Back to backs are pretty hard, going out on tired legs make for a slower pace and a bit of inherent fatigue. Went well and it's the backbone of the plan with all of my longs being back to backs, and midweeks peaking at only 13km.

I did see three roe deer over the weekend, one buck yesterday that looked perhaps two years old, and two doe calves today that were about a year to eighteen months old.
  • Aine8046
    edited April 2016
    Options
    W2D3 is done! Running today was awful! My gym was closed, and the weather outside was terrible - snow and rain and sleet... I still took the dog with me and we went for a 45 min run... We both came back all soaked and cold... Still, two weeks are done, eight more to go!
    Week 3, here I come :)
  • Aine8046
    Options
    So far my training involved only 2.5-3 mile runs, but starting next week the mileage will begin increasing. I think I am ready! :)
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I'm still broken, so the odd run here and there :(
    My walking is coming along good though, 10k race yesterday which I walked (probably not racewalk legal technique) and managed to come in at 1:06:40
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    Friday, the doctor told me to absolutely stay off the bike for at least 2 more weeks. :'( I am currently battling seasonal allergies, so have been spending more time on the couch than anything else. Hoping to get back at it today, since I'm almost breathing.

@MeanderingMammal Love your recaps, great job keeping at it.
    @Aine8046 You are doing an awesome job. I love how you are encouraging others in the 5k group!
    @taeliesyn Very respectable 10k time, not much slower than I would run one!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    ran this morning. it was a rough morning. it was slow
  • sleepigrl
    Options
    3.25 mile trail run/walk yesterday to try out my new trail running shoes. It was very, very slow but still about 8 minutes faster than the last time. Back to the B210K plan tomorrow if the weather cooperates!