Exercise and Weight Loss Challenges

Options

Replies

• dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Hi Guys,

Beth maybe you are storing up for a whoosh. Just keep doing what you are doing. It does get discouraging: don't I know.

April 15: 168.5
    April 22: 167

Yeah! Some movement on those scales.
  • Cclill
    Cclill Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Whew Gayle! glad your eye trouble not blood pressure!
    I too having very hard time getting back on program!
    Logged only twice this week

Low 181.4
    Then 2 weeks at moms
    April 15 , 184.2
    Then back to back weekend writing retreats
    April 22, 184.6
    Yikes!
    Weight creeping up rather than bouncing
    Hope this wake up call will wake me up!
  • Cclill
    Cclill Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Good news is lab result numbers went down a bit from last year.
    Backing away from pre diabetes
    But still above where i should be
  • dasher602014
    Options
    Cclill wrote: »
    Good news is lab result numbers went down a bit from last year.
    Backing away from pre diabetes
    But still above where i should be

That is good news. We are waiting for Peter's results on Monday. You can back away. Well done. I have done a lot of reading and it does take time for blood sugar to come down.
  • gaylebodine
    gaylebodine Posts: 1,678 Member
    Options
    3/04/16: 179.7 Lean into Spring Challenge beginning weight.
    3/12/16: 179.6
    3/19/16: 180.3
    3/26/16: 182.2
    4/02/16: 181.8
    4/16/16: 181.3
    4/23/16: 181.6
    Only two more weeks in this challenge! It has gone by fast. My win this week is that I did log my food more days that not which is an improvement. More motivated than I have been so hope to at least get back to the 170's by challenge end. Lill, good news about backing away from pre-diabetic! Glad that you are all hanging in there! Looking forward to more weather conducive to walking outdoors!
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    So, I'm 25 pounds over, but still here. I'm at 167 right now. How did that happen? Lots of reasons, but I'm working on them.

It has been very difficult to exercise. My plantar faciitis will not go away. Difficult to walk cardio when I am on my feet most days lately and can barely step on my foot by the end of the day.

The rheumatologist also diagnosed me with fibromyalgia 3 weeks ago. I had been having so much general pain. The meds she has given me has made me lethargic, a little goofy, a little depressed, along with the fibro flare-up.

I have been having a lot back pain and they found "significant deterioration" so it is spinal exercises, arthritis strength Tylenol, and I set the alarm every two hours to get up and walk around at night or else I can't straighten to get out of bed.

I was in heart failure for a little while. Seems to have straightened itself out with lasix and the congestion is gone and BP down. Haven't had another echo yet since the lasix, but I can tell the difference. Problem is when that happens, my metabolism goes haywire and slows way down.

I am in the midst of several huge projects at work that keep me on my feet, but then in pain the rest of the evening. I have a two-day move this week starting in the afternoons and going until about 9 p.m.

I have two new employees and currently interviewing for a new foreman, but the one new employee was just diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. Trying to take some of the load off of him right now, so I'm trying to do some of his work for him. In fact, I was supposed to have taken last week off for a stay-cation as I really needed to get off my feel and rest, but ended up coming in 1 full day and 2 half ones. No rest for the wicked as they say.

Unfortunately through all this, poor eating has been my solace. My exercise has been limited mostly to stretching and tai chi. I'm a mess and certainly a great role model on what NOT to do! I'm taking my neurotin, Tylenol, doing the achilles exercises and stretching. I'm going to bed early 1. because it is good for me and 2. I'm just too tired to stay awake.

So, there you have it. I need to just get back on track. This has been going on too long! Glad you are all here and motivating me. (Really, you are!) Thanks!
  • dasher602014
    Options
    Oh My, Charlie! What an ordeal. When you throw in "I was in heart failure for a little while" as an aside for all the rest that you have been going through, my heart goes out to you.

Fibromyalgia. Not fun at all. My only neighbour has it; really affects her. And you eat so well that removing sugar to improve things just isn't an option since you have already done that! I hope you can get it under control somehow and soon.

Plantar faciitis is an old friend of mine, as is back pain but both together with all the rest of what you have to deal with? just ain't fair! Have to move for the back, cannot walk for the foot pain. Do I stand up or sit down, type question.

And work problems too? UGGGGHHHHH! Try to find time for yourself in all this. A spa day? A massage by someone who really knows! Something.

And eating? Well understood. Inflamation also will make your weight go up. take it slow. One good eating day at a time. And head for bed. You need it.

So glad to hear from you! Keep us posted. We are thinking of you.

I am still struggling with the same 4 lbs. But I am still struggling. Not giving up yet.

M
  • gmabethof3
    gmabethof3 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies, I will be weighing in Saturday instead of my usual Friday, not at home and do not have a scale with me. So I will check in with everyone Saturday morning, and hope that the scale has moved down this week... ;)
  • gmabethof3
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Hi Again Ladies, well looks like I wont be weighing in Saturday, fell down a flight of stairs, twisted my ankle, and fractured my lower leg. Not able to put any weight on it for awhile, have this stupid boot, so guess I will only be doing upper body exercises for awhile...Hope it heals fast, already not liking having this thing on my foot and leg. :'(
  • gmabethof3
    Options
    I was not able to weigh in this week, and since this is the second to last week of the challenge, I just thought I would go ahead and stick with the weight that I have. Hopefully next week or so , I will be able to stand on the scale. I'm going to have to see how much this boot weigh (don't need to any more weight than I have to..LOL :)

March 4 - May 6 Challenge

March 4 - 178.4
    March 11 - 178.0 -.4
    March 18 - 177.8 -.4
    March 25 - 178.0 -.2
    April 1 - 180.2 -+2.2
    April 8 - 180.0 - +2.0
    April 15 - 180.0
    April 22 - 180.0
    April 30 - 180.0
    May 6 -
  • MapDancer
    MapDancer Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Wow - Charlie and Beth - what a time you have had! You have so much to cope with and yet still manage to connect up and hold your goals in mind. Charlie - you have an amazing 1,400 posts to your name in what 2 years? That represents such dedication to encouraging others on MFP.

We spent the week watching the unexpected rapid decline of Soleil our 13 yo golden retriever and had the vet make a house call yesterday to put her to rest. It's always a painful event. This is the 4th dog we've lost in 10 years. But I always tell myself that the years of joy outweigh the tears. Pogo the beagle and Hachi the golden had their own way of coping today - Pogo chewed a slipper and Hachi kept dropping his ball into the fish pond (bad boys...)

Friday: 132.4
  • grandmothercharlie
    Options
    Ouch! You have had quite a time with injuries. Hope this one heels well and you are back on both feet soon.
  • gaylebodine
    Options
    4/23/16: 181.6
    5/01/16: 181.6
    Looks like I've stuck where I am but actually has been all over the map with as high as 183.6! One more week of this challenge and looking forward to the next 9 weeks were I hope to make actual progress towards making my home in the 170's. My big weakness, lately, has been chips. Love me some chips and guacamole and my son is willing to buy on his ride home from school as long as we go to Qdoba. I have brought wasa light rye crackers along in my purse and that saves me from the chips at times. Just need a crunchy guac conveyor and have't found a vegi sub I like. Also have found myself munchie at night (no, not partaking of what Colorado's famous for). I think we've discussed this before and need to be reminded of what works for others. So far sugar-free hot cocoa seems to satisfy.

Sorry I have been not offering the support I should be. Pretty self-focused. Sorry about all the health struggles a lot of you have been dealing with. I have not been feeling well (usual tired and congested) but nothing compared to what you have been facing. So glad you are with me on this journey to strength and health is the golden years.
  • gaylebodine
    Options
    Beth! I am so sorry about your fall! Hope your healing is speedy. I fell and sprained my ankle a month ago (my trick is falling up stairs) but thankfully did not break anything, but had a sore and bruised ankle for a while. Just thankful for every day I can get up and down the stairs, even if I have to take one at a time many days. Beth, I did a search and the internet says that a walking boot weighs 3 - 4 pounds. https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120824014511AAeZNiL
  • gmabethof3
    Options
    Hi Gayle, Looks like we both have the trick of falling up the stairs, but this time I fell down them, my fault. I am hoping that I can get up and walk a little on this boot soon, I have another Dr./ex-ray Friday, and I hope things are looking better. Since I have been sitting a lot, I have looked up the weight on the boot, I am going to use 4 lbs when I weigh next week....... Trying to at least stick to the diet, so we will see, hoping to the bathroom is the most exercise I get right now...LOL....Have a good day and enjoy your week. Beth
  • grandmothercharlie
    Options
    Beth: that hopping is good exercise, but a lousy way to get it. Hope you are doing better.

Gayle: Guacamole is a downfall for me. I love it! I just have to force myself to stay away from it. I settle for a couple of slices of avocado on a sandwich instead.

Found a new insert for my shoes that is helping the plantar faciitis and I think the neurotin is starting to help the fibro. My back is still hurting so much when I get up, but that is such a good excuse for a massage every week or so, right? ;) But, my foot felt good enough I actually went for a 20 minute walk at the gym! Yay, me!

Things at work are looking up, too. I have made an offer to a guy to fill the foreman's position. When he comes on board (remember, I'm in government so nothing happens quickly), I will finally be fully staffed. The first time in almost a year and frankly, the first time really in almost two because my other staff were so lazy!

I had a birthday last week -- 65! Felt old the day I signed up for medicare! Had a nice brunch with family to celebrate. One of my gifts was another 2 nights at a B&B. So now I have 4 nights! Don't know if I should take two 3 days or one 5 day. What would you do?
  • grandmothercharlie
    Options
    Pam: I'm sorry I missed you post last week! So sad about your dog. I know they are family and missed so much. Thinking of you.
  • grandmothercharlie
    Options
    Posted a news broadcast from NPR and an article in the NY Times regarding weight loss, metabolism, and gaining it back. It is worth the read. A little disheartening, but probably nothing we haven't figured out! :/
  • gmabethof3
    Options
    March 4 - May 6 Challenge

March 4 - 178.4
    March 11 - 178.0 -.4
    March 18 - 177.8 -.4
    March 25 - 178.0 -.2
    April 1 - 180.2 -+2.2
    April 8 - 180.0 - +2.0
    April 15 - 180.0
    April 22 - 180.0
    April 30 - 180.0
    May 6 - 182.6

May 6 Challenge

May 6 - 182.6

Good Morning Ladies, Doc day YEA!!!! Hopefully everything is healing good. As you can see from this weight gain, sitting is not for me...My daughter helped me weigh this morning, and I did take 4 lbs. off for the boot. Not sure how accurate this weight is, I had to hold on to my daughter the full time I was on the scale......Everyone have a great day and a beautiful Mothers Day! :)
  • dasher602014
    Options
    Hi Ladies,

I know I posted yesterday but it seems to have disappeared.

Pam, I really sorry to hear about your dog's death. 13 for a golden is a long life but it is awful when the decline is sudden. As in all death's, we are never really prepared. 4 dogs in 10 years is really tough but they all add their own personalities to enrich our lives. I hope the bad boys cope too. My sympathies go out to you.

Beth, falling down stairs! Broken bones! Boy, you have had your run of bad luck. I hope it is healing properly. Keep safe and well balanced. I had a friend who while protecting one broken arm, fell and broke the other! Don't overreach your abilities and get well soon.

Gayle, you have been dealing with your own health issues too. I am so glad you are here and willing to do a reset each challenge. It is so important to me.

Charlie, glad to hear you found a good arch support. My SIL passed on 4 stretches which really helped her and me with plantar problems. Toes up to more than just 90 degrees or heel dips on stairs, pointing toes too, wall stretch for your calf and ankle, and the best, with a stretch band, rotate foot inward and outward. Huge difference for me when I remember to do them! I hope you are feeling better soon.

For me, I got a call back from a mammogram. Wants another set of images for the left and an ultrasound for the right. I know, don't worry until there is something to worry about. Ha! And I don't even know which side to worry about! Appointment next Tuesday.

This new challenge I have decided to set the bar low. Get back to my lowest weight of 162 and keep it off. I have been struggling with the same 8 lbs for months. I am also going to ditch the VL carb diet, just doesn't agree with me. Hopefully, I will do more than just this goal and I will reassess when I get there but that is my goal for now.

Spring, finally!

marney