Exercise and Weight Loss Challenges

Options

Replies

• MapDancer
    MapDancer Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Soleil was truly a sunny spirit. Even people afraid of dogs could feel comfortable around her.
    Because I lost my previous male golden Tate at 8.5 yo I was very glad to get my current 3 yo male golden Hachi in the Morris Animal Foundation Golden Retriever Lifetime Study. They've enrolled 3,000 dogs and each one gets an annual exam, collection (pee, poo, nails, hair, 7 vials blood), and detailed vet and owner questionnaires. This is the largest dog health study ever done.

and a bit more about Hachi see Article, Blogs and Study discussion

Today 132.4. Maintaining is, well, just the same.
    I would like to add 'Doing my Korean homework 5x/week'. I tell myself that hours of kdrama are like homework.

Our Korean school has end of year assembly on May 28th. The adult class: my DH, Russian guy and myself have a skit to prepare. We will start out with the Bear Song. Here is a sample from the drama Full House https://youtube.com/watch?v=XWzJ8yrWmp8
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Pam: Does the Russian guy look like Rain?

Marney: You are right about the exercises. I had a few years ago in my other foot and exercises are the key. I was good for a long time and did them every day, but just not getting to the gym the last few months, I found myself not doing them and bam! my other foot now hurts! Between the exercises, the inserts, and frozen water bottles, it is getting better.

Beth: You get a pass. Hope you have good news from the Doc.

Gayle: This will be YOUR challenge to rock!
  • gaylebodine
    gaylebodine Posts: 1,678 Member
    Options
    3/04/16: 179.7 Lean into Spring Challenge beginning weight.
    3/12/16: 179.6
    3/19/16: 180.3
    3/26/16: 182.2
    4/02/16: 181.8
    4/16/16: 181.3
    4/23/16: 181.6
    5/01/16: 181.6
    5/07/16: 183.8 (yikes)

I've added a new part-time job: rating (grading) SAT exams online. I've been compulsively eating throughout my 4 hour shifts. So my first commitment to the new challenge is to have healthier snacks than just giant bowls of popcorn and apples with peanut butter. Thinking celery sticks and maybe just apple slices. Two things I've been eating and must stop: peanut butter and tortilla chips with restaurant guacamole.

My son loves Mexican food and that's what I eat (not the peanut butter) when he has his giant burritos. Need to stick to salad with dressing on the side. Maybe a few baked tortilla chips on occasion, but the standard ones are OUT. Also I have dropped out my walking. My excuse has been that it has been snowing or raining most days, plus working a lot more.

Need to up my water, stop kidding myself about peanut butter and guacamole being health foods, and MOVE! Goal for this next challenge: do the right things with food, record my food faithfully, move, drink more water and get back into the 170's.

Know that we all have been struggling a bit for various reasons. Hang in there all and let;s keep on doing the best we can. Thanks for your continued commitment and support!
  • gaylebodine
    gaylebodine Posts: 1,678 Member
    Options
    Oh, love that they've added the like and awesome buttons!
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Ok ladies, I need some encouragement.

Just got home from my followup ultrasound and mammography appointment because they found something odd in one breast on the first appointment. So, after some sleepless nights, the lump they saw no longer shows, and the doctor has no concerns. YEAH!

One hour after I get home, I get a call from my doctor's office saying they would like to set up a colonoscopy because of an odd result in my FOBT test. I KNOW it is just hemorrhoids because I was getting so plugged up on the carb reduced diet. But after the relief at 9:30am, I now have the same worry, different area, imposed at 10:30am on the same day!

Then, I am sure, they are going to after me about my blood pressure, I just know it! If they would only leave me alone, I would be fine and my BP would drop to normal when I see them. (END OF CHILDISH RANT)

Grateful that I have medical care. I KNOW I am OK. However, I KNOW I will worry. And I really do not want to go for this procedure. I haven't been in hospital since I was 5 years old. DON'T want to do this! (I guess the childish rant isn't yet finished).

Bought some fabric on the way home from appt as a celebration. I guess a little premature.

Sigh. Better to know than not, I guess.

• gmabethof3
    gmabethof3 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Ok ladies, I need some encouragement.

Just got home from my followup ultrasound and mammography appointment because they found something odd in one breast on the first appointment. So, after some sleepless nights, the lump they saw no longer shows, and the doctor has no concerns. YEAH!

One hour after I get home, I get a call from my doctor's office saying they would like to set up a colonoscopy because of an odd result in my FOBT test. I KNOW it is just hemorrhoids because I was getting so plugged up on the carb reduced diet. But after the relief at 9:30am, I now have the same worry, different area, imposed at 10:30am on the same day!

Then, I am sure, they are going to after me about my blood pressure, I just know it! If they would only leave me alone, I would be fine and my BP would drop to normal when I see them. (END OF CHILDISH RANT)

Grateful that I have medical care. I KNOW I am OK. However, I KNOW I will worry. And I really do not want to go for this procedure. I haven't been in hospital since I was 5 years old. DON'T want to do this! (I guess the childish rant isn't yet finished).

Bought some fabric on the way home from appt as a celebration. I guess a little premature.

Sigh. Better to know than not, I guess.

Glad to hear that the mammogram was negative, that had to be a relief. Hope that your other medical problems go away so fast. Nothing like a medical diagnoses to make you loose sleep and worry. You hang in there, and take care. I'm sending prayers your way that everything goes in your favor. Beth

• grandmothercharlie
    Options
    Gayle: You really have a good grip on what is causing you problems and I know you can beat those demons!

Marney: Good news and then worrisome news. You can't catch a break, can you? The prep for the colonoscopy is the worst part of the whole thing and even it has gotten better. Everytime I know what someone is going for this procedure I send them this link: miamiherald.com/living/liv-columns-blogs/dave-barry/article1928847.html Maybe a good laugh will help calm your worries a little.

Oh, what's the fabric for? Something beautiful?

I have actually had two days where I have felt so much better. My back hurts really badly first thing in the morning, but seems to ease up as the day progresses. My shoulder is still sore, but the overall body pain seems to be much better! Has also improved my mood!

I'm logging and getting to the gym (found it best if I take a hot shower there when I'm done to keep the muscles loose). For now, I'm just keeping everything to myself though. Except for you guys, I don't feel like all the hassle with the newsfeed and public diary and workouts.

Oh, for those of you with fitbits have you noticed the new 250 steps/9 hours thing on the phone app dashboard (not on the computer). It logs whether you take 250 steps each hour from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Gets you off your butt to move while working. I've managed to do 8 hours, but average 7. It is not an easy thing to do. Today I set my alarm for every hour, and totally ignored the 11-noon as I worked on a report. I've always said that exercise is important, but if we only exercise and are sedentary the rest of the day, it doesn't matter much.

This is a nice little challenge. Even if you don't have a fitbit, you could easily count 250 steps. Anyone want to join me next week? The steps aren't workout steps. Just walking around (or in place) steps.

Hang in there, ladies. I need you.
  • dasher602014
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I will get my step counter out and join in, thanks @grandmothercharlie. 250 an hour, not easy since my life is sitting and then going for a walk or golf and sitting and then gardening and then sitting. And you are right; not great to exercise and sit otherwise. Glad to hear you are feeling better.

I am going to ignore my appointment until I know the date.

Thanks for the link. I did laugh and yes, it does help to know what is coming and that I will miss it all (except for the prep).

M
  • grandmothercharlie
    Options
    It was auto set from fitbit from 9 am to 6 pm. I found where I could reset it. I made mine 7 am to 5 pm. So mine is 10 hours. Are you up for that?
  • dasher602014
    Options
    Yup. Starting tomorrow.
  • grandmothercharlie
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Hourly Step Challenge:

Okay, Marney! I don't have problems with the 7-7:30 as I have to walk from the parking garage through to my office. At 8 a.m., I found it easier just to walk 250 steps in place. Beware, time gets away from you easily.

Anyone else want to join us. Gayle? If you are at a computer all day now you should move around every hour to avoid back and eye strain.

Beth, you need to get healed first! :)Pam, maybe a good way to get up from bending over all those maps! Mary, if you check in? I need you here as I have been struggling.

It is 2500 calories a day of the 10,000 we need. Should I start a separate thread?
  • dasher602014
    Options
    Yes, let us start an exercise thread. It took me some hours to remember :/ and then I started taking stuff out of the kitchen cupboard and cleaning them with TSP since we started painting today. Remembered half way through and the step count wasn't a problem because of the back and forth moving stuff.

This afternoon will be harder.
  • MapDancer
    Options
    Pam: Does the Russian guy look like Rain?
    Now wouldn't that be great ;) Then I had to go watch Rain sing the Bear Song on youtube again.
  • MapDancer
    Options
    I'm due for my 10-year colonoscopy now too. I didn't want to schedule it during the winter - I imagined all that prep and then maybe being cancelled due to snow.. so now I need to get my *kitten* in gear and call.

I like the idea of an hourly step challenge. I just got out my omron pedometer and see that it needs a new battery. Oh, and I just found a battery for it. Okay - so the idea is to get in 250 steps every hour between 9am-6pm. It's been a long time since I did the 10,000 steps/day concept, and the poor little omron went through the wash at least once!
  • grandmothercharlie
    Options
    I made mine for 10 hours. Nice round 2500 steps. I chose 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. as that is when I work. (I won't make that on my weekends though). Can we change the times on weekends? I'll do 10 hours from the time I get up on weekends - my weekend is Sunday and Monday.

I'm making a new thread.
  • grandmothercharlie
    Options
    I just made reservations at a local, upscale, trendy restaurant for friends and I for Saturday night before the symphony. Italian cuisine. I was worried about what I would have so I pulled up their menu and guess what! They have "zucchini pasta" as an option in place of most of their pasta dishes. Now, if only the vino was low cal! But with the zucchini pasta, I won't have to feel as guilty!
  • gmabethof3
    gmabethof3 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    May 6 Challenge

May 6 - 182.6
    May 13 - 184.0 (UGH)

Thought I was moving around a little more, and I am eating like I should most of the time, (a few days weren't a little off). I'm going to blame the pain med's just so I feel better about the gain...LOL..I really hate putting down my gains, but I don't want to give up, and hope that I will have losses in the near future....Have a good Friday the 13th, and have a Great weekend. :)
  • Cclill
    Cclill Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Hoping today is day i finally get back on the program!!!!
    I hoped moms day was going to be it but nope
    Have been trying to figure out why im not logging and letting weight creep back up
    Why So hard to get back in the habit?!
    I dont know whats wrong with me!
    I am so behind on everyone's news!
    In desperation am going to pretend im brand new to mfp.
    Hi gang -- great to meet you! :-)
    Starting weight may 13 is 185.2
    Lill

• dasher602014
    Options
    Hi Lil,

Welcome! You can do this! And you can help me do this too. I have upped my carbs and I feel much better but i have gained weight. So this challenge is for us.

marney
  • grandmothercharlie
    Options
    5/6/16 = 167
    5/13/16 = 166.5

A half a pound! I'll take it!

Marney: I had done all those exercises that you had mentioned regularly before. When I got out of the habit of exercising I got out of the habit of doing them too. The plantar fasciitis is getting much better now that I'm doing the exercises. I agree they are the key. Isn't it funny that we know what we need to do and yet we quit doing them.

Lill: I got so tired of logging also. The weight came right back on. Of course, not being able to exercise didn't help. It does get boring but I know I have to do it and I seem to be back on track. You can do it, too. I know you can.