Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    LOL Sam - yup, I had my 13 year old rescue me from under the bar the other day - sucks!!!!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,928 Member
    Options
    I am also,planning to be in washington for the women's march.

I worked today, have a MAJOR headache, and still too sad. The anger will come....I am a bit weirded out at how long it is taking for my sadness to turn into anger....

Tomorrow, I lift!
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I can't even read the news these days. It's just so upsetting.

Anyway, I ran my 6.1 miles yesterday, resting today. I still feel off from the weekend. I have another busy week at work coming up. And I've already eaten both my breakfast and my lunch, and it's only 9:45 am here.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I did lift, today.

I did weight, today.

I have a 12-week fat-loss plan that I am in week 1 of.

I am following that, immediately, with a 12-week-inches-loss plan.

So, that is 24-weeks of "self-care" and I really need to pay attention to these things, in myself, to be at MY optimum health!

BOOM!
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a plan Beeps.

I had a productive Monday at work and hit over 6k steps before leaving the building.

Tonight: Redbox and chill.
  • AigreDoux
    Options
    Beeps, what's the difference between a fat loss plan and an inches loss plan? Good job on lifting!

Sam - sounds luxurious! :)

I did Strong Curves, week 5-8, Workout A #3 today
    Hip thrust - 3x20@30 lbs with 3s pause
    One arm row - 3x8@30lbs
    Goblet squat - 3x20@27.5 lbs
    Bench press - 3x12@55 lbs
    Romanian deadlift - 3x15@55 lbs
    Side lying abduction - 1x30 each side
    Front plank - 60s
    Side plank - 30s each side
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Aigre....no "real life" difference.

My fat-loss plan is "scale-focused". My inches-loss plan is not. That's about it!
  • samntha14
    Options
    Busy day and I got to the gym.
    Strong Stage 4 WO A5
    Back Squat 3x10@ 80, 85, 95
    Asst. Chin up: 3x10
    Step ups: (5 risers) 3x10@25dbs
    DB BP: 3x10@25dbs
    I can 30 on DB BP, but they weren't available tonight. It was good to back up the lbs a little.
  • StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Ok, so after my minor breakdown I have my new attack plan!!

I'm going back to Strong - yes I know the flip flopping I do on programming is ridiculous. Although I like Stronglifts and Wendler, my aim is to lose fat. Stronglifts and Wendler make me stronger, sure, but they don't actually do anything to get me towards goals.

I also need to get my PCOS/diet in check. This is going to be something towards lower carb, definitely without sugar, something to control the insulin resistance, maybe paleo, maybe low GI, need some definites on that one, but I have a general aim.

I'm going to make the changes slowly - set up a weekly challenge for myself (like, drink only 2 cups of tea a day, all other drinks must be water), and then concentrate on it for 7 days. The next week add in another challenge too.

The challenges might not be diet/fitness related either, just general challenges that would make my life better!

Anywho, I've rambled on enough - today is meal plan day!! Have a great Wednesday
  • AigreDoux
    Options
    Stephie - good plan! Are you going to pick up where you left off, or start over? I really like Strong. I think I'll do it again someday. Have fun meal planning!

Samntha - nice workout! It feels good to deload at points to really work on form, doesn't it?

Beeps - got it! Go for it!

Ran my usual 3.2 miles this morning. Stepped in a huge puddle, thankfully almost at the end though!

I've also been thinking about where I am going to go from here.

One of my friends posted on Facebook about a half marathon that he ran, and it got me thinking. I ran a half marathon in 2003, after less than 6 months of any running. I think I would like to do it again, but being older and wiser, plan a little bit better. So maybe aiming for Fall 2017.

But. I basically got told by the ETP coach to "get out of my own way" referring to my tendency to want to try to cut more at this point. His view is I should pretty much maintain for a while since I've lost a fairly significant amount and try to improve performance/strength/recomp. I'm currently maintaining and eating what seems like pretty good amounts of food, so maybe this is best.

So I have also been toying around with moving to a 4 day/week strength program. Maybe just doing the advanced template of Strong Curves 4x/week. Or maybe a split. ETP sells a program that is a 4 day/week split that a lot of users give good reviews. It's only $30 so not a huge investment, but not a lot of unbiased info out there and hard to see what is actually in the programs before buying it. (Samntha, do you know any more about this program? You always seem to be up on this stuff :) )

To move to a 4x/week strength though, I would have to either cut back to 2x/week running, or do both on the same day (upper body workout then run). Not sure if this would be feasible. I don't want to lose too much from my running because of possible half marathon goal.

But the plan for now is to just continue with the status quo (eating maintenance, 3x/week Strong Curves, 3x/week running) until the end of the year. But it's fun to think about what comes next!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Nice lifting, samntha!

Stephie - I might go back to Strong, too...pick up where I left off. I was SO excited about that program one year ago....perhaps I can tap into that "excitement".

Aigre - I like it that we are figuring out "the future" before 2016 turns into 2017....lots of people wait for that "New Year's" shot-in-the-arm and I feel GREAT that we are tackling some of the decision-making NOW.

BOOM!
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    Girls, ya'll making me crazy with the switching around! :D You know goals are the most important - focus on those and the rest will come.

Stephie - make sure the 'diet' is sustainable. That means YOU have to ENJOY it. I have a reasonably strict diet but I don't go without any of the things I love. You don't need to follow someone else's plan - make up your own because it's about YOU.

Aigre - yes it's hard to balance cardio and lifting. You probably need to decide whether your aim is to get leaner first (and likely lose strength) or get stronger (hard to do when marathon training!).

Yesterday was supposed to be cardio for me but was up at 3am for a birth so decided to scrap it. Got my body fat done and one my 'bulk' cycle I have managed to drop to 12.8% (on callipers - way underestimates). So, despite increasing my calories, my 90-120 min lifting workouts seem to be doing the trick as my weight has stayed the same. Yay for muscle mass! Also means I can still eat more and still scrap the odd cardio session lol :D Also turns out there is a DEXA scan option now an hour or so from where I live. Will definitely get that done again soon so can compare the callipers to that.

Deadlifts today - hurrah <3
  • AigreDoux
    Options
    Beeps - will be awesome to see you go through Strong!

Jo - Nice results on the BF test! For reference, my scale tells me I'm 28-29% (at 5'5", 133 lbs) so that's like more than twice the fat you have! :o

I like planning for the future and switching to something new. Keeps me interested :) My goal is really neither get lean or gain strength, honestly. I mean, both are my goals sort of but it's more about seeing what happens, enjoying the process, keeping myself healthy, and not so much that I need to be able to squat 200 or whatever.

Anyway, Strong Curves, workout B #3
    SL glute bridges - 3x20 each side
    Chin ups (band assisted) - 1x6, 1x4, 1x5
    Lunges - 3x12@15 lbs DBs
    DB military press - 1x10, 2x12@15 lbs DBs
    Reverse hyper - 3x20
    Side lying clam - 1x30 each side
    Swiss ball crunches - 1x30
    Side crunches - 1x20 each side

It's almost Friday!
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    It's a tough call with some fun options that it's hard to stick to one at times. Or maybe I'm talking about my novels cause I jump around on those very often. I'm only doing two this month but even then I couldn't just pick one and focus on that for a single month. lol

Went to gym yesterday but was home late and had work this morning early (not scheduled that early but was asked the previous shift if I could go in earlier than set) so I didn't post things afterwards. Trying to type now but it's taking me longer to type because cat thinks she needs to be in my lap.

Lifting went okay and I did upper body except minor thing. Not sure what caused the issue but for the last three days my left elbow has been causing me problems. It's not sharp but there is dull pain on a regular basis. Not lifting per se as they happen at random depending on how my arm is held and such. Quite a nuisance as the left is my good arm and not supposed to be giving pain. Had the minor aches when lifting too, push press, but hasn't been bad at all.

band pulls - 3x10
    push press - 2x8 @ 45, 3x6 @ 65 and 1x6 @ 70 with straps (trying it out)
    cable bicep curls - 3x8 @ 35
    tricep pushdown - 3x10 @ 35
    clean - 3x8 @ 50

20 minute jog on treadmill

Weight wise, even though I haven't tracked for weeks and had days where it was a little more than usual, things went decent. I came in at 132.4 two days ago, so have maintained for the few weeks of not tracking or spending much time in the gym. Not bad. Now, I need to get my goals figured out so I can align my training and fine a new gym.
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    Dawn - could be tennis or golfers elbow. I get golfers elbow and have had to modify my upper body workouts to be elbow friendly.

Bench/ OHP day for me. Got all my reps - hurrah! And the 125 pushups :s
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I did lift, yesterday. And cardio, today.

I have decided to pull out my Venus program....I really did like Phase 2. It worked well for me during my 2012 "cut". I will try to just "rinse and repeat". BOOM!
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Jo - Yay for reps and pushups. So far the elbow is more of a hassle at work since I am doing retail and stocking products, etc for a good part of my shift or bagging what people buy when I'm at the register. But I've only lifted once with it bothering me so far. Good thing tomorrow is leg day instead of upper body. ;-)

Beeps - sounds like you have a plan.

Today was just writing. Sister has car but I hope to go to gym tomorrow.
  • samntha14
    Options
    Today, I hate being a girl. I'm ovulating, so tired, cranky, and sore. Maybe I'll get to the gym tomorrow. Today started my new macros for Performance. I get to eat ALL the FOOD.
    Happy lifting ladies.
  • AigreDoux
    Options
    Ah, I'm behind in catching up here!

Samntha - hope you feel better, but yeay for higher macros!

Dawn - hope your elbow feels better!

Beeps - what is Venus program?

Jo - 125 pushups :o

Anyway, Friday I ran (3.2 miles).
    Saturday I did Strong Curves Workout C #3
    I got new 10lb bumper plates and wanted to try them out :)
    Hip thrust with pause - 3x20@53 lbs
    Inverted row - 3x10
    Back squat - got sick of goblet squats and they were hurting my wrists. 3x12@53 lbs
    Narrow grip bench press - 3x8@53 lbs
    X band walk - 1x30 each side
    Swiss ball crunches - 1x30
    Band rotary hold - 1x30s each side

And then yesterday I ran 6.1 miles.

I measured myself this weekend and I was really disappointed that I haven't lost any inches since mid-August when I last measured. I've lost 5-6 pounds since then too, so what gives? Trying to hold on to my *kitten* until after the holidays, then may ask for lower macros to get below 130. I don't think this building muscle stuff works for me :(
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    AigreDoux wrote: »

Beeps - what is Venus program?

...when I first joined Venus, it was a (small) online community, a nutrition calculator, and a workout regimen. Titled: Venus Index. Then it morphed into Venus Factor (I think....) and it now has a following in the tens-of-thousands, a nutrition calculator, and several workout regimens.

It costs $$ to join....when I joined, though, they offered a "lifetime" membership for the fee, and so I think I have been grandfathered into everything that has come since.

I printed out most of the workouts YEARS ago....and I still return to them because they actually work for me!