OMG ~ Discussions Starting 1-11-16 and Beyond

Options

Replies

• bertevans
    bertevans Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Good Morning, Ladies. I did well yesterday with exercise. I'm going to the gym again today and walk on the treadmill.....it's not one of my favorite activities, but I think it will be better than walking in the mall! :smile: I'm doing better with drinking water, but have to say it's still a challenge.

Cindy: I'm curious about joint therapy....can you expand on that? I'll try to drink water every half hour. That's a great suggestion.

Karla: I do need to get back in the habit of stopping by the gym while running errands, going to and from church, etc.

Patti: I definitely count my steps as exercise. We are still moving, so that's good enough for me.

Today, my brother visits his primary doctor and is supposed to call me at some point today concerning future plans. I'm not sure what he wants to do about relocation. From what I've been able to discover, the VA doesn't help with moving expenses. He has no money either. Very frustrating.

Today is our daughter's, Lindsey's, birthday. I call her my daughter, but she's actually my step-daughter. We've been married for 32 years and she's 35 today. She calls me her "other mom" too. I love that. Have a great day, everyone!

Bert
  • luzingg
    luzingg Posts: 1,678 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Hello all, having lunch with my besties, a bit of shopping and then getting my stripe removed and a trim. Letting my hair grow out and it is now to THAT stage. Hope I can hold on until it gets about shoulder length. Luckily my hair grows super fast. Working with the mother of my greatgrandbabies to get together for Christmas. She does not feel comfortable coming to our family Christmas on the eve. I think she is afraid my grandson will be there. The kids are not coping well with his current absence from their lives, but I think she is way too verbal in front of them about him. A bit of a drama queen I am thinking and the kids are caught in the crossfire.

Bert, happy birthday to your daughter. I am a step parent too but have been in this family for 31 years. My son calls me by my name but addresses all cards and gifts "to Mom" and alternately introduces me as his mom or his step mom. I think it depends on who he is introducing me to. The love is real no matter the title and that is what matters. Sorry your dilemma with your brother is ongoing and wish there was an easy answer. Continue to pray for you and for him.

Better scoot but will stop back later. Need to put out some Christmas dec, haven't really gotten into the spirit of the season for some reason. Not going full out, just enough to make it look like Scrooge doesn't live here, lol
    Patti

• xjsjaguar
    xjsjaguar Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Good morning,
    I ran across an excellent observation in a daily devotional this morning and thought it would be good to share it with you here.

"God’s infinite ways often don’t make sense in our finite minds. Sometimes you have to be willing to look ridiculous and be radical to live a remarkable life. The choices you make when you feel God’s nudge will become the hinges on which your destiny swings. Each individual decision you make, to obey or ignore God’s promptings and directives, is a thread that weaves the tapestry of your life."

What stuck in my mind was that the "choices you make will become the hinges on which your destiny swings."

What choices will I make today? My destiny depends on them.

Hugs,
    MaryLynn
  • JP_in_KY
    JP_in_KY Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    MaryLynn, that quote is so apt. Thanks! Patti, wish I could borrow some of that hair-growing karma. My thyroid mess and Hashimoto's have taken more than half my hair and it's hard to accept that it is never going to be even close to what it used to be - my best feature. Glad you are treating yourself!

Ran more errands today and need to figure out what Christmas gifts I still need to buy. Hoping to decorate tomorrow. Trying to make decent choices with mixed results, but getting better. Hugs to all.
  • xjsjaguar
    Options
    Good afternoon, ladies,
    Well, with salad prepared and beets cooking (for soup) we ventured out into our "winter wonderland". We rarely get much snow here, but this year it is sticking around somewhat. Very pretty to look at and heavy to shovel! At least the shoveling gives some strength training a chance today and getting out there and hiking around the community is always refreshing. Managed to meet my targeted minutes for exercise so far this week. I realize that I could get used to a daily hike again - even in cold weather - but that is no excuse for not addressing a need to clean up my eating on a CONSISTENT basis. It sometimes seems that I focus on one thing at a time and it is time to focus on getting enough quality protein and variety of veggies.

Have a snugly evening all!
    MaryLynn
  • luzingg
    Options
    Mary Lynn, thanks for sharing such wise and insightful advise.

Good day here, not the best with food, Steak and Shake fits my budget right now but not my diet. Oh well, tomorrow is another day. Did have a light dinner and no breakfast so hoping it balances out. Hit 2 Walmarts and Costco. Now just have two gifts for some little people under 2 years of age, a gift for my cousin and some gift cards and I think I am done. Found out my grandson (the one that has been MIA for over 3 months for his kids) has popped back in their lives and will be bringing them to the family Christmas. Amazing how he always shows up this time of year. Those poor kids are the ones that suffer the most. At least we will get to see them. Today is my GGDs 7th birthday and the 7th anniversary of my father's passing, a bittersweet day for sure. Will go see Mom tomorrow and get her groceries and whatever chores he has planned for me.

Patti
  • bertevans
    Options
    Good Morning, Ladies. I'm up early AGAIN...,...I'm sure wanting to break the habit. My mind starts thinking of things to "get done" after I take care of Molly, and then I can't get back to sleep. Geez

Patti: Family get togethers can be stressful at times. It looks like we aren't having our Christmas get together this year, and it breaks my heart. School and work schedules won't allow Dan and Annie to travel this year. We are traveling this weekend to deliver our gifts as it will be cheaper than mailing them. It just won't be the same, though. I know Greg isn't happy Dan, Annie, and the kids aren't coming, but he's not traveling up there either. It puts me in the middle. Oh well, we will get through it. I definitely understand family drama! I've let my hair grow out a little. I did find another stylist to finally cut/style my hair that listened to what I really wanted. The days of long hair is out for me, but I do want a little length in the back. I decorated our house a few weeks ago.....I got rid of my knick knacks so I only do the tree and mantle inside as well as the Nativity Scene. I do lights outside as it makes me happy to see the house lit up. Happy Birthday to your GGD. My mother passed away on Dec. 27, 1995. It seems like yesterday.

Mary Lynn: I love that quote.

Janet: So sorry about your hair. Have you ever used Wen products? I've been using WEN for several years as well as AVEDA. They are pricey, but worth it, in my opinion.

Today is my final visit for the semester. I'll head to campus after my visit and hand in some paperwork. Then I'll run some errands as well as head to the gym. I'm proud of myself for going to the gym this week. I walked the mall (always dangerous for me) yesterday rather than walking on the treadmill which I don't like to do. It's so boring to me. I did find a couple of hats for Mike for Christmas, so it was a win-win for me.

Have a great day, everyone!

Bert

• JP_in_KY
    Options
    Another member of the dawn patrol checking in! Hoping to finish my shopping today. Then I can start working on decorating.

Had a late hungry spell last night but not hungry at all this morning. Today is The Day to start getting consistent about saying NO. Have cooked shrimp thawing and am getting back into soup mode. MaeyLynn, I'm with you on veggies/salads, fruit and quality protein becoming my life again.

Bert, sorry you won't all be together this Christmas. Glad you will see the little ones in person but it will be odd for everyone. I use Aveda color-protecting shampoo - love it. My hair used to be wavy but is now both thin & fine, so there's not a lot of styling options as I won't handle much layering. Sigh. We all do what we can!

Patti, are your feet getting used to the job? Hope the new Saucinys help. I need to get a good but inexpensive pair for the right-shoe-only period.

Cindy, are you able to take time off at Christmas? Karla, are you having your party this year? Suzi, so nice to see Ellis & Dinky becoming buddies. Paula, how are you doing?

Wishing everyone a wonderful day and at least one moment of food-choice triumph!
  • cindyr619
    cindyr619 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone-
    Work has been busy as I'm on the 4 day plan for the rest of the year. Using up vacation time and LR days. I do have the week off between Christmas and the new year.
    I love the 4 day weeks but it sure does make for hectic days.
    I just read an article about eating soup daily- not heave cheese and cream kinds. Says it can decrease your cals by 1/5 which is enough to shed 50 pounds per year for average person. Maybe its time to get some WW veggie soup cooking. Also I've been reading that strength training is better than cardio for weight loss. Things to ponder.
    Patti- sorry the boy is so darn ignorant where the children come in-
    Bert- being caught in the middle is tough.
    Janet- glad you're feeling better and getting your mojo back
    Karla- I'm sure you and Glenn are so excited for 2017
    MaryLynn- shoveling does burn those cals- enjoy the beet soup
    Need to run but I'll be back again.
    Cindy
  • luzingg
    Options
    I think you could call me the opposite of the dawn patrol most days. Holy guacamole it is only 27 degrees out there!

Bert, sorry about not having your family Christmas this year. We seem to have fewer and fewer showing up to ours but I know that is how it goes. The KY family use do come every year but have missed the past 3 or 4 for one reason or another. We just have to make the best of it and celebrate when and where we can. You asked Cindy about joint therapy, were you thinking it was for her joints? It is therapy for her and Rick together. Cindy, hope you don't mind me answering this one.

Janet, I have found some really good Sauconys at DSW in the past, usually around $60. They are my faves. I am struggling with the thought of decorating this year. But have decided that tomorrow is the day....unless they call me in to work....any excuse.

Cindy, see above note to Bert. Hope you are ok with me answering. I hope you are taking full advantage of your LR days, especially when you have to work extra hard during the week to earn them. Have you controlled your sugar monster? Maybe you need a booster from your hypnotherapy to get you through the holiday season if it continues to plague.

Karla, are you better yet? Sure hope so. I know you always have so many events this time of year so you need to be well rested and healthy to be able to enjoy them all.

We will be having Christmas in my son's new house. They moved all the family room furniture there yesterday and the tree is already up and decorated. They gutted the kitchen as it was the original from when the house was built in the 60s. Since everything was in good working order he moved it all to the basement and basically built a kitchen in the family room. Besides Christmas, they host lots of parties so this is going to be great for them. Need to get to the bank and then to Mom's.
    Hope your day is filled with the spirit of the season
    Patti

• luzingg
    Options
    Good evening,

Mom and I watched 4 episodes of Good Behavior. It is so good, twists on twists and stars Michelle Dockery, Mary from Downton Abbey. The only chores were to change her sheets and run to Krogers for about 6 items. We had a great day together with lots of chatting and laughing. We decided that I will make a lasagne dinner for Christmas Day and take to her house. It will just be my sis/hubby, the cousins and me/Edd that day. She was so happy that I suggested it. Means she doesn't have to go out or cook, lol. Tomorrow will be grocery shopping, laundry, decorating and addressing my Christmas cards.

Patti
  • bertevans
    Options
    Good Morning, Ladies. Another busy day is in store running errands. Heading to Chicago in the morning to deliver Christmas gifts and watching Dylan and Penny open their surprises from Grandma and Grandpa. We are watching them tomorrow night while Dan and Annie attend a party. It will be fun!

Janet: I love the title of Dawn Patrol! I think I'm the CEO of the organization these past couple of weeks.

Patti: Yes, I was thinking it was for arthritis! :D Thanks for the clarification. I'm glad you are having Christmas at your son's house. We have hosted Christmas Dinner the past few years with a couple whose adult children don't come home. Greg and Carrie want to stay home which I understand. Dan and Annie are never here on Christmas Eve/Day either, so I think it's a nice time with our friends. We will go to Greg and Carrie's for Christmas Brunch and then watch the kids open their gifts.

I got on the scale yesterday, and am not happy with what I saw. I'm trying harder to focus on my goal, but some days it's just frustrating. Have a great day, everyone!

Bert
  • xjsjaguar
    Options
    Good morning dear friends,

I hope you had a restful night and woke up refreshed and ready to meet the adventures and challenges of this day ahead. With some snow falling and the ground covered with more of the "white stuff", perhaps today presents an opportunity to balance some indoor/outdoor activities and focus on strength training.

It looks as though everyone has busy schedules recently and it can be tough to stay "on plan". Let's remember that we are progressing towards a healthier lifestyle and forgive ourselves when we make unwise choices. We are learning every day what works - and what doesn't - and it can certainly try our patience at times. Note to self: Don't bake cheesecake! Well, I did create just that temptation ... along with a few others that are already chilled or frozen. Yikes!

Along with the seasonal creations, the fridge is full of veggies and fruits and salad/soup combinations are a regular in our home, so I will forgive myself for the indulgent tendencies at times. I'm committed to reaching for veggies first, lean protein second and fresh fruit third. While the habit of measuring portions is now a regular part of meal preparation and plating, it's that "mouth hunger monster" that still plagues me too often! I'm NOT hungry if a veggie snack or a few nuts doesn't sound appealing. TV watching is the worst for us... so that is an "easy fix". At every commercial, get up and lift some weights, stretch, do planks or walk away.

I have learned that creating new habits does take time and being rebellious about it is just self-defeating. When I realize that I am my own worst enemy, I can choose to ignore that "mouth hunger" nudge, because the perceived "reward" of an indulgence is a lie that I tell myself. There is a mental shift that is required for me to accept the truth that choices matter; that these health, fitness and weight loss goals are TRULY deeply held. If there is some part of me that is not "buying in" to my plan, I will likely sabotage it pretty regularly. So, I really need to ask myself what is my honest desire. If I truly want to change my lifestyle behavior forever, I must convince myself in the deepest part of my being that I am worth the effort. It matters.

Phew! What about you? Are you convinced yet? I must admit, I'm still a "work in progress",

Hugs to all,
    MaryLynn
  • luzingg
    Options
    Mary Lynn, so we'll put, as always.,yes, I am a work in progress and so many times I am too complacent with where my body is at the present moment. Need to really feel the desire to change it and that seems to be my current problem. Thanks for the push to think this one through and find the reason to want a change.

Great day, but very cold and windy. Got my shopping done, both grocery and Christmas. Love getting 4x fuel points for the gift cards I bought. I need to hit Dollar Tree and get towels and pot holders to make one final gift for my granddaughter. Chili is simmering, chicken breasts are cleaned, portioned and in the freezer. Cooked bacon so that I can have it for recipes and seasoning. Sorry, but I will never give up my little bit of bacon and Edd loves it. Third load of laundry in and after dinner I am going to do my Christmas cards. I have to work 10-3 tomorrow and am off Sunday. That is when I will get out some Christmas decorations. Very low key this year.

Hope everyone is busy, enjoying the season and all are well.
    Patti
  • bertevans
    Options
    Good Morning, Ladies. Have a great day! We're getting ready to head up to Chicago this morning.

Bert
  • JP_in_KY
    Options
    Bert, wishing you a safe & happy trip. Patti, bacon is tasty and sometimes you just gotta. MaryLynn, I think you've made far more progress than you let yourself believe!

Am going to get the tree decorated - am going through Christmas stuff as I do and will weed some things out. Eating was pretty good yesterday. Wishing everyone a happy weekend!
  • luzingg
    Options
    Another unexpected day off. Got called off from work again. People just don't shop the craft stores when it is miserable out I guess. Hopefully I will get my hours in the rest of the week. I did get my cards all ready for the mail last night. So I guess I'm am going to put up some decorations. Too cool to go out if I don't have to. Edd is helping our son put a roof on a garage today. My freezers are really out of control. I think I need to take stock and defrost the deep freeze. After I made a huge pot of chili I found 4 jars left from the last batch in the freezer, lol.

Bert, safe travels, hope you do not have to deal with any snow. Enjoy your day and evening with your family.

Janet, I will be thinking of you as I decorate and seeing,in my minds eye, you doing the same only in a more elegant fashion. I am vey homespun and country.

Karla, I have seen pics of the kids on FB, where are you? Are you doing ok, just too busy to stop in?

Cindy, hope you had a good LR day. Are you getting snow there?

Hi to Paula, miss your face here, and Suzi, who I know is working hard with her new puppy Ellis.
    Patti
  • KarlaLM58
    KarlaLM58 Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Good morning. I'm sorry I have not been around. Glenn and I have both continued to be sick and my son has been in the hospital this week. He is home now, resting, and his blood pressure is under control. He sees the doctor again on Monday.

Just not much for words right now. Thank you for thinking of me Patti.

Karla
  • xjsjaguar
    Options
    Happy Snowy Saturday!
    We continue to accumulate the snow here and spent the morning shoveling and sweeping the driveways here. Then, I noticed that a neighbor was having some vehicle issues in his driveway and needed a couple of extra sets of hands to get it pulled up the hill to his home. What a nice fellow! He is a senior who recently moved to the island from the province of Ontario. Seems that his goods are arriving by transport truck today and it got stranded on an icy hill coming into our community...we were getting him sorted out with the help of another neighbor who plowed his hilly, curving driveway. That way, if the truck can get up the hill somehow, at least they can get access to his property. Keeping our fingers crossed for them!

We are just not used to snow much anymore here and this is definitely unusual for Vancouver Island to get dumped this much and with temperatures below freezing too! We may have to buy a proper snow scoop or shovel, as we made do with the small shovel and brooms today.
    Great workout for the arms and core! It is gorgeous outside with the fir and cedar trees coated "marshmallow like" out there. I will try to get a photo to share here later.

Have yourself a wonderful weekend and I will check back later, I hope.

Karla, I sure hope and pray that you and Glenn are feeling better with some rest and good comfort soups or chili. Loading up on veggies again here today and noticing how much energy I have, so perhaps that will work for you both as well.

Hugs,
    MaryLynn
  • luzingg
    Options
    Happy snowy, cold Sunday to you all. I finally got this place looking like Christmas. I only put up about 1/4 of my usually decorations and Edd said "wow, I didn't know you had so much stuff!" I didn't have the heart to tell him how much is still boxed up in the basement, lol. No real plans for the day besides some football. Edd is working again, until it rains, on the garage roof with the son. Sure hope I get to work tomorrow.

Karla, so sorry to hear about all the illness going around in your family. Sending prayers for health to you all.

Mary Lynn, what wonderful neighbors you are. Bet you will be friends forever with this new gentleman. Funny when I think of Canada I think snow, knowing you has really given me a new look at your corner of the world.

Bert, pic of your grandkids was so cute. I know you had a blast with them. I bet they love their time with you and Mike.

Janet, did you get your decorating done? Did you get any snow? We just got a dusting and that is enough for me, lol.

Cindy, miss you here on the weekends but I know your time is precious and hopefully you are enjoying being LR.

Suzi, how are things with you. What plans do you have for Christmas this year?

Patti