Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Nice workout, Kimi! Is that from the book you mentioned above? Looked it up quickly on Amazon and it looks solid.

Jo - boo on going back home! Hopefully the baby will be here soon!

Strong Curves, week 9-12, Workout A#3 today
    Hip thrusts - 3x20@103 lbs
    One arm row - 1x8@35 lbs, 2x10@30 lbs
    Box/pause back squat - 3x10@58 lbs
    Pushups - 1x2 off floor, 2x1 off floor, 3x6 off bench
    Deadlifts - 3x10@88 lbs
    Side lying abduction - 1x30 each side
    Swiss ball crunch - 1x30@8 lbs
    Side crunch - 1x15 each side
  • kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Yes, I read the book cover to cover twice before getting stuck in - It seems to be a bit of a "bible" for some people on the IIFYM trail, so I primarily got it for that, but when I got to the bit that talked about being able to do cardio as well as lifting heavy, my eyes popped even more lol!

Definitely worth the money to have it on my kindle, but there is also a fair bit of free advice and worksheets etc on his website of the same name too if you want to look up more.
  • AigreDoux
    Options
    Nice, kimi, I may put it on my wishlist and download for the trip I have upcoming in January.

4.5 miles this morning. Could go for a nap now though!
  • kimiuzzell
    Options
    Ah, a nap.....how I could just manage one of those right now!

Spinning before work yesterday - something I've not done for a while but just quite fancied.....and it was tougher than I remembered!

Today I did TNB28 - round 1 day 2/28; Lower body strength and abs:

Squat - 4x4 @70kgs
    Split squat - 3x9 @ 12kg kettlebell
    Deadlift - 4x4 @75kgs
    Leg press 2x7 @65kgs 1x7 @75kgs (should be lying leg curl but we don't have that bit of kit in our gym, so had to compromise)
    standing calf raise - 3x17 @20kg kettlebell
    Hanging knee raise - 3x10
    Reverse crunch - 3x15
    Plank 3x60 secs

Early days yet, but quite enjoying the programme so far.....rest day tomorrow. Shame I've got to come into work!!

• jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts for me today - went reasonably well. Good to get back to my gym.
  • AigreDoux
    Options
    Jo - yeay for deadlifts!

Kimi - that looks like an interesting program. How are you integrating your marathon training into a 4 day split?

SC, Week 9-12, Workout B #3 today
    SL hip thrusts - 3x15@BW
    Chin ups - 1x7, 2x4 with 75 lb assistance band
    RFESS - 3x10@16 lbs
    OHP - 3x8@40 lbs
    Good morning - 3x10@58 lbs
    Xband walk - 1x30 each side
    Plank - 60s
    DB side bend - 1x15@20 lbs

Felt tired today, think the holidays and work stress are effecting my sleep. So didn't go quite as heavy as I had planned for the workout. But got it done, and that's better than nothing.
  • kimiuzzell
    Options
    Yay for deadlifts indeed!

Because my marathon is not until beginning of October, I am not needing to do too much at the moment - the real work will start after Easter.

So for now I am lifting 4 days, doing a run on one of the other days, this week I did 4.5 miles hills, but I don't generally go for longer than an hour during the week. Then on a Saturday morning I head out and do a longer run - I'm up to 7+ miles at this stage, so it doesn't interfere too much with lifting strength. I then lift again on a Sunday. I WILL have to do more milage as I progress, though, and this is bound to interfere with the lifting a bit, but if I need to do my 4 days lifting split over 8 or 9 days rather than 7, then so be it.

I am making sure I get one full and proper rest day in per week, and I have learned my lesson in the past about not listening to my body, so if I feel fatigued, or get ill, I will back off something accordingly. Hopefully, that won't happen though, because I am quite enjoying things as they are!

• StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Quick check in!!

Aigre - great work on the running and SC. you're killing it
    Kimi - that workout looks interesting, how long is that taking you? Are some of the exercises super setted?
    Jo - woo for deadlifts
    Dawn - hope you are getting used to your new gym :)

My house went on the market today! ARGH!! It was much stress trying to clear away all our crap to get nice photos done, but hopefully they look nice.

Hoping to have some interest before Christmas, but if not, definitely hoping for viewings in January. We already found a house we'd like to buy so just playing a waiting game now to see if everything falls into place!
  • kimiuzzell
    Options
    Fingers crossed for the house stephie!!!!

The workout takes 45 mins to an hour....perfect really. Only a couple of supersets. I can probably get it done quicker once I'm used to getting the next bit of kit set up each time. I still have to stop and think about what I need to do next!
  • AigreDoux
    Options
    Kimi - so you're doing 4 strength and 2 runs per week? I am thinking of converting to a similar 4 day split program but haven't quite figured out what to do with the running yet. I could either cut to 2 days a week from 3, or try to squeeze in a run after an upper body day. That may be pushing the limits of time I have to workout on those days, depending I guess on how long the workouts end up taking. I'm looking to maybe do a half marathon in the fall, so similar timing to you, shorter distance :) So we'll see! I'm almost done with this cycle of Strong Curves so I guess I need to figure it out!

Stephie - best of luck with the house! So stressful, I know! We moved across country in summer 2015 and so glad that's over. You have a new job starting soon, too, right?

Weather was awful this morning. 3 degrees with windchill -15 degrees. Even though I'm pretty used to cold, couldn't convince myself it would be a good idea to run outside, so did 2 miles on the treadmill. Hate my treadmill since I run so much slower than outside. But it got done.
  • kimiuzzell
    Options
    Oh I feel your frustration with the treadmill - I really don't like it, but I do confess to having one in my garage that I used for winter marathon training when it was too icy outside to be safe. However, it now houses boxes of wine and acts as a useful rack for storing skis.....

4 gym and 2 runs works for now - I will adapt when it starts to get too much. However, I have to say that my previous marathons have all been run with no strength training, and with a very VERY poor diet, and since I have started strength training and eating 3 proper meals a day, my running doesn't seem to be nearly as much effort to complete, so I think all in all, the "new" combination is probably a whole lot better than the "old" way of me doing things!

We shall see - I really really really want a marathon PB, so I may need to switch it up considerably in the summer. In the meantime, I'll keep working on my strength and on doing those damned hill runs and get myself into a good place on which to build the long milage after Easter.

I've got a half marathon in April that I have entered for.....that's my first target.
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    kimiuzzell wrote: »
    However, it now houses boxes of wine and acts as a useful rack for storing skis.....

:D:D:D
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Sorry ladies, I need to catch up.
    I have bee exhausted all week. Yes, I'm ovulating. Sometimes being a girl sucks.
    I'm tired and I can't think straight. I made so many mistakes at work because reading is fundamental. I even b*tched out somebody who didn't really deserve it (Yes, she screwed up, but she offered to fix it and I didn't see because I didn't read the email correctly.) I always hate when that happens.

Anyway, I finished shopping for my kids. Big ordeal with that. TRU didn't have something because they gave them all away as a promotion and I couldn't even buy it, and Amazon was price gouging. However, today I found what I need at Game Stop, so tragedy averted.

I got to the gym today for a good liftig session and burned off some stress.
    Trouble concentrating. S5 B2: Reverse lunges 2x12@25s, Inv. Rows, KB Swings 2x12 @25, SA Push press 2x12@25
    Happy weekend. North American friends keep warm.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Bueller?
  • StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Aigre - Thanks! My final day in this job is Thursday, my result is the same night, and then my new job starts on 3rd Jan - nothing like a bit of stress in your life right?! Haha. I feel good that the house is on the market, I just hope it sells before the one that we really like gets sold!

As you may expect, my eating and training has not recovered. I will have more time in the new year to get back on top of everything, and I'm ok with being a re-starter in January like so many others :)
  • AigreDoux
    Options
    Stephie - crazy times! Must be hard trying to keep the house all straightened up for the holidays as well!

Samntha - sorry you aren't feeling well. Good for you on getting your workout in though!

Kimi - that's awesome! The only other long race I have done was a half marathon when I was about 23 years old. I think my time was around the 2:32-2:35 mark. I feel like I could beat that with some good training this time. But we'll see!

Saturday I did Strong Curves, Week 9-12, workout C#3 on Saturday
    Hip thrusts w 3 sec pause - 3x15@103 lbs
    Inverted row - 3x10
    Squats - 3x10@70 lbs
    Bench press - 3x10@53 lbs
    Reverse hyper - 3x15@BW
    Hanging knee raise - 1x10, 2x5
    cable chop - 1x10 each side
    Chin ups - 3 negatives@40 lbs assist, 1x3@60 lbs assist, 2x3@75 lbs assist. I added these in to try to make some faster progress on chin ups.

Yesterday I ran my usual 6.1 mile route. It had snowed on Saturday but then warmed up to 50 degrees, so was running in puddles and ended up with soaked feet. Slower than last week I think simply from dodging puddles! But got it done.

Today is a rest day for me. I will finish up this cycle of Strong Curves this weekend and I think I'm moving on to the ETP training template. I'm a little intimidated by the volume, so I'm glad I'm able to start it over a vacation week. If it doesn't work out, I can always do the "advanced" template of Strong Curves.
  • AigreDoux
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Strong Curves, Week 9-12, workout A #4 today
    Hip thrusts - 3x20@103 lbs
    Dumbbell bent over row - 3x8@35 lbs
    Box/pause squats - 3x10@58 lbs
    Pushups - 3x1 off floor, 3x6 off bench
    Deadlift - 3x10@88 lbs
    Side lying abduction - 1x30 each side
    Swiss ball crunch - 1x30
    Side crunch - 1x10 each side

Tired today as my daughter is sick and up a lot last night. Have a lot to do before Christmas, but committed to getting these workouts in!
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    Hey everyone, checking in. Back to normal training this week though had a crappy squat day.... in hindsight this was probably because I'd only had 4 hrs sleep, done 8 hours at work and only eaten a protein bar and an apple :D Anyway, I only had 4 hours sleep because my sister had the baby! Hurrah, I am an Aunty to a very cute little dude. Can't wait to meet him in a few weeks.

Bench yesterday was fine - even with sore shoulders (trying new bar positions for the squat).

Deadlifts tomorrow look like a big ask..... am up to 5 sets of 8 at 90kg (198lbs) and considering my max thus far is 110kg (242lbs) it seems awfully close to be getting so many reps. Working on form there too - I do sumo DL and my right knee tends to not want to track so well as my left. This is an issue for initiating the bar off of the floor so is pretty important to sort out.

I also won a month's free membership at the gym on their 12 days of Christmas prizes - woohoo. All we have to do to enter is check in :) They announced it on their FB page and called me "strongwoman", which IMO is actually better than the prize :D
  • AigreDoux
    Options
    Jo - yeay for a free month of membership! You are killing it at powerlifting! Congratulations on the new little one in your family! I'm about to be an aunt in a couple weeks as well :)

Another crappy night of sleep due to my kids not wanting to go to sleep until 10 pm which is way past my bedtime. But got out at 5 am this morning for my 4.5 mile run. A little sluggish but felt good. Started listening to podcasts instead of music for a little change of pace. Lyle McDonald is tough at 5 am though.

Ordered myself a present from Santa - an adjustable bench, so I can finally do incline BP as all these programs have called for and I've just been ignoring for a while.
  • kimiuzzell
    Options
    Congrats to all those welcoming babies to their families!

I've been out of the gym since Saturday - came down with a chest infection, so have felt rather lousy - seemed to sleep for most of yesterday which was much needed, although I have ventured back to the office today. I've got some antibiotics so hopefully they will kick in soon and I can enjoy Christmas and get back to lifting!

Until then, I'll watch you lot from the sidelines!