OMG ~ Discussions Starting 1-11-16 and Beyond

Options

Replies

• luzingg
    luzingg Posts: 1,678 Member
    Options
    Good evening to those of you reading. Dinner with mom yesterday was so lovely. Sh mad homemad chocolate eclairs, my cousin requested them and mom loves her so. Home in time to watch some dreadful football (for me any way, lol). Dinner was Chex mix and Chic filet chicken chunks! Cousins stayed till this morning. We spend all day moving son and DIL into their new home, plus some painting for me. Just now sitting down to left overs. I logged nearly 11K steps and 36 flights of stairs today. Moving from a trilevel to a bilevel,lol.

Have enjoyed all your posts and pic here and on FB. I do dearly live and cherish each and every one of you. Thank you all for the cards you sent to Mom, your have no idea how much they mean to her and to me. I am amazed at how much love and generosity flows through each of you to enrich my life.

This will be a busy week for me. I work Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday. Plus mom has eye appointment on Thursday. We will be heading to the cabin Saturday when I get off work, to celebrate our 25th New Years at the cabin. Have I told you lately how blessed I am?

Patti
  • JP_in_KY
    JP_in_KY Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Home. Have driven almost 2,000 miles in last ten days so pretty tired. Had a GREAT trip - saw many friends, spent time with family and today saw cousins before heading back.

Caleb was total joy. Not up to anything but cat spoiling, a shower and sleep. And the only thing that's getting set tonight is the timer on my coffeemaker - hoping I can sleep LATE! Hugs to all.
  • xjsjaguar
    xjsjaguar Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Hugs to you all, dear friends!77hrp1964i32.jpg

MaryLynn
  • smack59
    smack59 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Hi gang! Just got through reading and catching up with all of you and your Christmas celebrations. We've had a very nice one here and the girls and I shopped all day today! I'm just looking forward to getting everything back to normal - normal eating, normal tracking, and normal exercise - this week. Next week we head to Galveston for a week traveling in Tulip with Ellis. It will be his first big trip and I can't wait! He's quite the comic and keeps us entertained! Dinky and he have really formed a bond and spend a lot of time wrestling and playing chase. Dinky is more serious about his naps though and Ellis is a bit of an interloping antelope when Dinky decides he's done playing and ready to nap!

Ok enough about the dogs! My pledge to you is to track everything I eat tomorrow and to post here to tell you I've done so.

Nighty night,
    Suzi

PS MaryLynn, I LOVE the pics of your paradise!
  • bertevans
    bertevans Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Good Morning, Ladies. I'm taking down the tree today. I'll also take down the balcony decorations but will leave the porch lights on as it's so dark around our house with neighbors gone to visit their families. Depending on the temperatures, I'll decide whether or not to walk in the neighborhood or at the gym. Dan and family are in CA to visit Annie's family. It was fun to watch the app to see where the plane was at certain part of their flight. Have a great day, everyone!

Bert
  • smack59
    Options
    Mornin' y'all! Now that Christmas is behind us, how are you doing with your WL plan? On a scale from 1-10, how terrific can you say your overall holidays went regarding:
    1-food/eating
    2-planning and sticking to it
    3-activity
    4-finding time for yourself
    5-fun with friends/family

Let's see how I did.

1-food/eating - I'll give myself a 7. Had a few unplanned sweets. I'd intended to allow myself some sweets at actual parties and holiday meals and I didn't go overboard with them, but listened to the sugar monster and he bit me a few unplanned times between those occasions. Note to self: driving past my favorite bakery is not an "occasion". Still didn't go whole hog on those either though.
    2-planning and sticking to it - 5 too much unplanned sweets and not enough tracking.
    3-activity - 7 not enough but I'm giving myself a bit of a pass. My ankle has flared up again. Walked nearly 10,000 steps yesterday wearing my ankle brace while shopping, so I'll work myself back into more walking by wearing the brace. Won't that look sexy on the beach!?!
    4-finding time for yourself - 8 didn't feel overwhelmed and made it to my WW meeting on Saturday. If I'd made it here to think more about my behaviors and chat with you maybe I would have done better with my plan.
    5-fun with friends/family - 10!!! All parties and events were fantastic successes! I even had a good time at Dave's fancy dress-up bank party. I worked there too for 24 years before switching 11 years ago and my BFF still works there, so there was no feeling out of place or out of the loop. In fact, several of the other board members came up to me and expressed how much they miss my work! Another huge, unexpected success was Christmas Day dinner here at home with my girls and my SIL. Normally any gathering that includes my SIL is unbearable, but this one was actually very pleasant!

I'm ready for the return to normality and make sure my holiday indulgences remain in their place and that place is with the holiday, not a part of my normal, healthy lifestyle.

Happy Normal Tuesday,
    Suzi
  • luzingg
    Options
    Good morning and welcome to the after party!

Janet, so glad to have you back and it certainly sounds like you had a wonderful Christmas with your friends and family. Just sorry you have to drive so much. Now rest up, you have surgery soon and need to be emotionally and physically ready.

Bert, hope you get to walk outside today. So much better than the gym. Glad you got to follow along with the kid's trip.

Karla, enjoy your time with family and friends in FL.

Mary Lynn oh the splendor of your world, so much like you... Beautiful!

Suzi, good job and thanks for the thoughtful questions. Ellis seems to be making himself an integral part of your love very quickly.

Here is how I rate my holiday choices

1. Food/eating: about a 6. Indulged in some treats a bit too often but exercised portion control on everything. Still need to get back to tracking. I know I will never lose if I don't. It is the cornerstone of what works for me.

2. Planning: I have to say 5. I left too many days unplanned because I was working off hours, so we had too many take out meals. The meals I did plan, I stuck to and they were on plan for me.

3. Activity: nothing formal but got over 10K steps at least 4 times a week. Really looking forward to getting my work schedule under control so I can get back to my classes.

4. Finding time for myself: I think I did a great job, so about an 8. I let go of some things that stress me during the holidays and found the joy in just relaxing in my craft room and watching holiday movies without feeling like I should be doing something else.

5. Fun with family/friends: a definite 10. I have the best of both and spent as much time with them as I could. I am truly blessed to have so many people I love near me!

Patti
  • JP_in_KY
    Options
    Suzi, I did horribly on all but #5. Oh well. That's the success that means the most. Got and gave many hugs, was thrown up on by the most adorable four-month-old and seemed to do OK with my gift-giving. Grateful to be safely home to two cats who are glad I'm here.

ONWARD!
  • bertevans
    Options
    Good Morning, Ladies.....today marks 21 years of my mom's passing. She is with me every day, and I can feel her presence. My dad passed 32 years ago. I have great memories of both of my parents, and they are definitely with me in spirit.

Suzi: To answer your challenge questions, here goes.
    1-10, how terrific can you say your overall holidays went regarding:
    1-food/eating It wasn't the best, especially with my first year with making and decorating Christmas cookies. I also indulged in my homemade Monkey Bread. So I would have to give it a 5.

2-planning and sticking to it: I was good about planning breakfast and lunch. Dinner, however........ I would give it a 7

3-activity: I was good on the activity, a 10

4-finding time for yourself: I definitely found time for myself, a 10

5-fun with friends/family: A 10 on that one.

Today is a sunny day and is supposed to get to 45 degrees. A walk is calling my name today after I run some errands. Have a great day, everyone! Molly gets a pedicure this morning!

Bert
  • JP_in_KY
    Options
    Good morning. Cleaner will come Friday because she's going to welcome her fourth grandchild today. Works better for me anyway. Errands commence shortly - I have almost no fresh veggies in the house - oooofff!

Bert, big smile when I saw your Christmas tablescape because I have Oneida Coronation flatware too!

Cool and sunny here too, so I must be off. Trying to do better in terms of food but drawing a VERY firm, bold line on January 1. Have a great day, everyone - LOTS to do here in the next few days!
  • luzingg
    Options
    Hello one and all,

Last two days at work have been challenging. I accused the manager of putting a sign out front asking all non sewers to come in and ask for lessons at the cutting counter. Very few simple cut and go customers. Everyone needed lots of help and instructions for whatever project they were doing. I don't mind, but when my answer is I don't know, because it is something I have never done, they get attitudes. Luckily most people are kind and understanding.
    I messed up and didn't request any time off for New Years so I am working the Eve and the day. Will not make it to the cabin, first miss in 25 years. Edd is a bit miffed at me but it happens. Not to mention that he doesn't even like to celebrate the ringing in of the new year.
    Time to start diiner. Going to try cod augratin, wish me luck!

Patti
  • JP_in_KY
    Options
    Patti, the cod sounds tasty - if you like it, please share!

Had several weird dreams in a weird night so using coffee to get me moving. Am going to unpack, organize & repack my big assortment of Christmas wrap - & get boxes labeled. A friend burned me a bunch of CDs for Christmas so will listen (starting with a collection of music from the '40s) while I work.

Not feeling super hungry today, for the first time in weeks so perhaps today is my day to get back on the beam.
  • smack59
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Mornin' y'all! It's sunny and cold this morning here in OK where the wind will be sweeping down the plains this afternoon! No surprise there...

I'm feeling thankful today; thankful to feel much more in control having made my multi-bean salad so I can veg-up for lunch more easily. I've meticulously tracked the last 2 days, so back in the swing there, although it was uuuuuugly! Let's just say the sugar monster has been lurking! But, I now feel equipped to shove him back in his place and proceed into 2017 without him chained to my leg. This is a big win for me - to rein it back in less than a week after Christmas, rather than 2 or 3 months later. I also now know that tracking helped me get through the holiday season - meaning Thanksgiving through New Years - with a net loss instead of a net gain. I'm very thankful for that! I will make note in my journal that taking even a one-day holiday from tracking throws me off course for several days and will make appropriate adjustments next Christmas.

I'm very thankful that Jessi, my youngest DD is ending this year in a much better place than she started it. She was suffering with out of control depression, in a horrible job and we had been unable (due to OK's mental healthcare crisis) to get her an appointment with a psychiatrist - at all for over 4 months! We were looking at buying out her apartment lease and moving her back home at the beginning of 2016. She's now changed jobs and is working for a national company consistently rated among the best companies in the country to work for, under the care of a psychiatrist, with excellent healthcare insurance that costs her only $1 per pay period. Her depression has been very well controlled with the first medication the doctor prescribed and only one dosage adjustment. She's returned to her happy, friendly, never saw a stranger self. I will still worry about her and I constantly keep in close contact, but I'm no longer frantic like I was at the beginning of this year. I'm very grateful to Cindy and Diane and all their advice as we were working through all that. The best Christmas present ever....well, until big sister and her husband give me that grand baby I want so bad - and they're working on it!

Janet - you're my favorite success story! I'm sure you can get your mojo back! Sounds like today may be the start you're looking for.

Patti - sorry to hear about your New Years scheduling snafu. It may have been tough to be granted holiday time-off though anyway with you being the new kid on the block. Are you still hoping to stay on after the holidays?

Later,
    Suzi
  • luzingg
    Options
    Glorious day today. I couldn't wait to get here and tell you all the good news. Mom's eye appointment was the best gift we got this year. The swelling is completely gone inside the eye, the hemorrhages are completely gone, the retina is lying flatly, as it should and she did not have to have an injection! We will continue monthly visits to monitor but, unless or unti, there is a change no further injections. Her vision in 20/70 (or 70/20 I always get that backward) and most likely that is as good as it will get. We are to go back immediately with any change in vision. There was a lot of cheering going on in that office, then the car and more at home. She is thrilled, even though they said she still could not drive. She can read everything that scrolls on the bottom of her tv, her TV guide and mail with her 6x readers and for that she is grateful and so am I!

Janet, so nice to have new music. Glad you are not hungry, lol.

Suzi, what wonderful news about your daughter. Total turn around for the new year! I am staying on after the holidays. Just need to get with them and change my availability from any day, any time to having planned time off so I can return to my classes at the gym. Can't tell you how much I miss them and all my workout buddies.

We are expecting snow and storms the next 2 days, just hope the streets are cleared for me to travel to and from work safely. Working 12-5pm is awesome for this very reason.

The COD augratin was really tasty.
    Made a basic white sauce with fat free milk and added a tbsp of buttermilk powder to make it a bit richer. Also a good dollop of spicy mustard and some Parmesan cheese (not needed, didn't even taste it so will leave it out next time). Placed frozen chunks of cod in a small casserole dish, covered with sauce and then topped with a bit of crushed crackers/Panko mixed with a bit of olive oil. Baked 350 for 30 minutes if I had lemons I would have added when I served, but alas I did not. Edd loved it and it will be made again

Patti
  • JP_in_KY
    Options
    Patti, GREAT news about your mom. WOW! Thanks for the cod idea too.

Suzi, best possible news about Jessi too. 2017 dawns promisingly.

The not-hungry didn't last. I WILL rein it back in on or before January 1. Period, Because I MUST.
  • bertevans
    Options
    Good Morning, Ladies. I had a great day with my two best friends. We traveled to Bloomingon, IN (I always drive) to see La La Land. It was definitely a weird movie, in my opinion, but it up for many awards. We then went to eat lunch, and I parked on the square. We put money in the parking meter and thought we had 1 1/2 hours left. When we returned to my car, there was a ticket on my windshield. The meters were positioned in an odd arrangement, so maybe we put money in the wrong meter. I can pay the fine online, but also can file an appeal. Not sure about what to do about the appeal process.

Suzi: So glad about your daughter.

Janet: My non-hungry issues never last, either.

Patti: So happy about your mom! Good luck with work. We haven't celebrated the New Year in many years, we are always in bed. (must be our ages)

Have a great day, everyone! I'm taking Jillian and Cole to see Sing today. I love animated movies!

Bert
  • luzingg
    Options
    Good morning, still on cloud 9 about Mom's eyes. Working the next 3 days and since it is a skeleton crew to begin with I am sure I will not be called off. So glad I got my groceries yesterday and the laundry done. Edd is sick, something that rarely happens, and I am staying far away so I don't get it. He goes to bed and stays there until he is better. No whining or moaning and just wants to be left alone. The perfect patient, lol.

Bert, what a frustrating day for you. Hope the lunch was at least tasty. I love animated movies too, my GFs and I generally go to all of them. Have fun today.

Karla, hope you are enjoying your time off with Glenn. Are you back home yet or still in FL?

Waving hi to the rest of the crew
    Patti
  • xjsjaguar
    xjsjaguar Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Waving good morning to you all!
    Patti, it is SUCH great news to hear about the huge improvement for your Mom's sight! We're all thrilled here and grateful for the fine care and attention given by the physicians caring for her!
    When we are humbled through physical challenges and must rely on others it adds stress to our life and those around us. The restoration of sight is also a restoration of independence. This miraculous answer to so many prayers reminds me that we are in capable hands always.

May your end of year celebrations include time for reflection on the many little miracles we all experience throughout the days of our lives.

May the joyful noise we make awaken us to the new hope ahead for us all!

Hugs,
    MaryLynn
  • bertevans
    Options
    Good Morning, Ladies. Happy New Year's Eve! I'm up early again today. My aching joints were telling me to rise and shine! :smile:

Sing was great! The kids loved it, and so did I. Great music and all characters were animals. I love animated movies. Mike and I are going to Menards today to get a shower rod and shower curtains. It's my romantic Christmas gift! We are finally going to get our new shower installed. In August, I contacted another guy recommended by our friends and between my schedule and his, it kept getting postponed. He never did call back after the 5th time I contacted him, so I found someone else. I won't tell him I hired someone else as I'm hoping he will call one day, and then I'll express my disappointment. I'm hoping the shower curtain will work as we have doors on the shower now. I don't like them as they are hard to clean and maintain.

Have a great day, everyone! It's time to track breakfast.

Bert
  • luzingg
    Options
    Happy New Years Eve to all, sure miss the chatter here when the holidays hit but am confident we will all be back soon and just as talkative as ever. I work today at 11 and back tomorrow at 4pm, so we will have our pork and sauerkraut today with leftovers tomorrow. I got one of those electric pressure cookers, as seen on tv, for Christmas from the kids and am itching to try it out. They bought the 10quart size so mostly it will be used at the cabin. Almost too big for just me and Edd, I bought them the 6 quart size and they love it.

Bert, you guys are so romantic, lol. Hope you find something you love. I hate shower doors!

Karla, have been praying for good outcomes for both you and Glenn in your upcoming medical encounters. Did you read about my Mom's awesome news?

Janet, hope you are getting some rest and enjoying your new music. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers for your surgery.

Suzi, when is your next adventure in Tulip? I bet Ellis will be a hoot.

Cindy, you have been on my mind, as you always are. I hope you have had lots of LR time this holiday as a gift to yourself. Anxiously awaiting the next book.

Mary Lynn, so agree with embracing all the little miracles this year has brought me, including you.

May you all believe in miracles for the coming year.
    Patti