Daily Chat Thread

Replies

• jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    AigreDoux wrote: »
    Shoulders/Arms day today

All in all a really humbling workout. My upper body strength is nonexistent, even after lifting for a year. My forearms in particular will be really sore. I have so far to go.

Upper body is always hard for us girls. Honestly though, it comes along whilst doing all the other lifts too. There is literally no day where my shoulders and arms don't get a workout - and that's with me not even programming it. Think about it - squats = shoulders, deadlifts = shoulders and arms, bench = arms, rows = shoulders and arms, hanging leg raises = shoulders and arms, weighted lunges = shoulders and arms..... and so on and so on. Plus I do combat as my cardio - lots of shoulders and arms! I get a lot of compliments about my arms too which is great :D My point is, that they will build up with you doing many other moves. I have never had an arm or shoulder specific "day" and if I do too many isolation exercises I get elbow pain.

And if it makes you feel better, my OHP has only increased from 45lbs to 66lbs in 3 years :(

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    I had last night off from work but had the early morning shift today, at 7 am, so New Years was tame for me. But made it to the gym after work. Going to be more consistent then figure out what I'm doing.

squat - 2x10 @ 45, 1x8 @ 95 and 4x8 @ 135
    good morning - 4x10 @ 95
    pause squats - 2x5 @ 95
    speed squats - 2x5 @ 95 - not very good at these, I'm rather slow
    then just did a 15 minute walk on treadmill

Not much going on. It's rather chilly and we haven't figured out how to get our heater working. Rather sleepy so I'll probably go to bed early as I have work again at 7 am tomorrow.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    That's a lot of squats Dawn.
    Jo I don't isolate either, but then I've pretty much been a devotee of New Rules for a lot of years now. I had some major DOMS from my workout Friday. My shoulders were crying from those Single Arm Push Presses.
    I was supposed to go to the gym yesterday. I think they were open part day, butI decided not to bother even get out of my PJs. Last lazy day before getting back to the grind. Today is wet and miserable. Finishing packing up Christmas (the tree is down and all decorations are down inside and out). I'm also in laundry hell and just getting the house clean before returning to work tomorrow. If I have a mind to, I'll get in a quick TRX workout.

IT's going to be a rough week. Hubby Leaves Thursday for a week in Idaho out by Yellowstone for Fat Pursuit, a multi-day fat bike endurance race. He says it's harder than the Iditarod. So I'm spending today getting all of my ducks in a row in preparation for being a solo for a week.

I hope everyone had a great New Years and that the New Year brings you joy...at least on a personal level ;)
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,922 Member
    It feels good to be getting back into some of the family routine! Sixteen days with company is just shyte....ugh....anyway, I worked out with hubby and middle son, today....their workout was squats, deadlifts, seated rows and bench press. I threw in some shoulder presses, but otherwise worked in with them. BOOM!
  • DawnEmbers
    Sam - It was a few and my quads were feeling it today. Eesh to Idaho. It's so cold there. Nice land but biking through it would be a challenge. It'd be fun to see in spring maybe though I haven't ridden a bike in so many years.

Beeps - It does feel good to get back into routine. I need to find a routine again.

Went to the gym after work today, the old gym. I had to turn in the key fob and make sure things were finished at that place. Now I'm set.

overhead press - 2x8 @ 45, 3x5 @ 65 (Did a couple at the ends of the last two sets as push press) and on the last set, I tried using wrist straps but need to work on setting them up since they were awkward.
    front squat - 2x10 @ 45, 1x8 @ 65, and 3x8 @ 75
    sumo deadlift - 1x8 @ 135 and 3x5 @ 165
    treadmill - 15 minute walk
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Happy New Year, everyone!

Dawn, nice workout! How do wrist straps help with OHP? Awesome front squats.

Beeps - yeay for a good workout, and fun to have partners!

Sam - single parent for a week is no joke. Good luck to your hubby on the race though, that sounds intense. How does he train for that?

Jo - Haha, is it bad that it does make me feel better? The isolation work is interesting and kind of fun for a change for now.

Anyway, went out on New Year's Day for my long run, all suited up and ready with a good playlist, only to find that all the roads were covered in black ice. DH was working so couldn't really wait for it to melt. So scrapped it and took a rest day instead.

Luckily I had yesterday off so I got it together to go out for 7 miles, working on keeping pace slow and steady, about 10:15 min/mile.

This morning I did a bench day.
    Incline bench - 1x5@33 lbs, 1x5@53 lbs, 1x5@55 lbs, 3x3@60 lbs
    Decline bench - 5x6@33 lbs
    Narrow grip DB bench - 5x6@15 lbs DBs
    DB chest fly - 4x8@12 lbs DBs
    Overhead tricep extension - 4x12@10 lbs DBs
    Then got out for a quick 2 mile run. Trying to see if I can manage to keep up with 3 days of running and 4 days of lifting by adding a short run to this relatively short upper body day. Got it all done in about 1:15 including getting dressed and changing for an outdoor run, so I'd say it was successful.
  • Beeps2011
    that does sound successful, Aigre!

65-OHP is AMazInG, Dawn!!

I signed up for two (online) fatloss challenges....so, to really try to move the fat off, I am forced to add some dreaded cardio into my weeks. Blech. BUT, my hubby's bff turns "50" in March/17 and he and his wife want us to go beach-vacationing with them....so, I am HIghLy motivated to push the FLUFF off, by golly!

8- lbs this month and hopefully 15- in total....I ain't gonna like the next couple of months, diet-wise, but this "push" is six-months in the making. It. Is. Time.

I lifted on Monday, and today. Tomorrow is rest day. I will lift Thurs and Fri and then cardio Saturday.

For the rest of january and february, my exercise schedule will look like this:

Mon: morning lifting and afternoon yoga
    Tues: group powerlifting
    Wed: double step (cardio)
    Thurs: morning lifting and afternoon yoga
    Fri: lifting
    Saturday: cardio
    Sunday: rest day
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Loving the influx of all of the new members in ETP, not loving the influx of new members at the gym.
    Yes, ETP is still going awesome. I didn't track over winter vacation and I'm up less than a pound and that can be attributed to ovulating anyway. Change the mindset and learn to eat right, maintenance takes care of itself ;)

Got my lifting in today.
    Stage 5 B4:
    Mtn climber 30/20
    Front squat: 3x12@65
    Cable BOR: 3x12@27
    SLRDL: 3x12@25s
    push-ups: 3x12
    Moved my front squats up. I knew I didn't have a lot of energy in the tank, so I reorganized and backed off the weight.
  • DawnEmbers
    Aigre - oops, I meant that in the front squat, not the OHP. lol. My bad.
  • AigreDoux
    edited January 2017
    Beeps - what is group powerlifting? Beach vacation in March sounds awesome :)

Sam - Nice workout! I didn't track for a week and ended up up 2 lbs. Also coincided with my new training program so probably/hopefully a fair bit of water.

Dawn - got it! Makes more sense :)

Squat day today:
    Back squat - 1x5@33, 1x5@53, 1x5@80, 1x5@85, 3x3@90
    RDL - 4x8@83
    RFESS - 4x8@BW
    Farmer walks - 4x45s@30 lbs DBs
    Reverse lunge - 4x8@33 lbs
    Back extension - 4x30@BW
    Valslide push aways - 4x10
    Reverse crunch - 5x10

Can already tell that I won't be as sore from this as I was last week. Yeay for progress!
  • StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    Oh it's been a while, but new year, new job, new gym and I am back.

I have to drive to the gym at lunchtime which cuts into my routine quite significantly, picked up a 4 day routine to try it out and to see if I can fit it in. Today was lower body heavy day.

Squats: 3 x 6 @ 50kg (I forgot my logbook though and did 4 sets, oops)
    Deadlifts: 2 x 6 @ 70kg
    RFESS: 3 x 8 Each leg with bodyweight

Was supposed to do stiff legged deadlifts but was worried about time.

I think once I figure it out I'll be able to do about 35-40 minute workout at lunch. My hubs is on board with working out so we'll be doing cardio/DDP yoga in the evenings, so that will have to work as my stretching and cardio time!

Legs are already hurting.

New gym has ZERO women in the free weights area, I just kept my headphones on and got on with it. The trainers were friendly though.
  • StephieWillcox
    So I've just looked at the route to the gym and it's one mile away. If I drive, park up and get to the gym and then get changed it takes like 20 minutes. I should learn how to run, then my warm up would be done on the way to the gym, and my cool down on the way back.

Something to consider in the future. Maybe tomorrow. I could do one minute running, one walking to try to get into it.
  • Beeps2011
    AigreDoux wrote: »
    Beeps - what is group powerlifting? Beach vacation in March sounds awesome :)

...the actual title of the class is: "group strength"....so, if I have used "powerlifting" in an incorrect sense, that is my error.

Every participant has a barbell that can be loaded up with various weights. And some participants (myself included) also choose dumbbells of various weights. The instructor goes through exercises on each "part" of the body, for about 5 minutes each. So, warmup, squats (I often sub-in WHT for these...), biceps, lunges, deadlifts, triceps, chest, back, shoulders, abs, stretch/cooldown.

It is a one-hour class.

It is higher-volume/lower-weight....but mostly I will do medium-volume/medium-weight since I really don't like low-weight workouts, and, frankly, I don't like training my muscles for "endurance", when I really want muscles trained for "power".
  • AigreDoux
    Beeps - sounds fun! I have never done any sort of group class. Didn't know it was ok to modify but thinking about it why wouldn't you!

Stephie - what program are you doing? Are you back on Wendler? You should be able to do a mile at a brisk walk in about 15 minutes. Still faster than driving. I often have to go to a second work location about a mile away and there is a shuttle that runs, but I hardly ever take it. I'm way to impatient to wait for it, and by the time I have waited and it has made other stops it takes exactly the same amount of time as walking. Plus, extra cardio. Just can never wear heels to work!

Anyway, 4.5 mile run this morning. Felt slow today, but got it done.
  • StephieWillcox
    Aigre - trying out a program called Candito Linear Progression. It's a 4 day/week program, two upper days, two lower days, thought it might work better with no time and better recovery.

Great run :)

I drove to the gym today, but it was upper heavy day which was much quicker than lower heavy yesterday! Once the temperatures warm up I definitely think I will walk to the gym instead.

Bench Press 3 x 6 @ 30kg
    DB rows 3 x 6 each side @ 2x 12.5kg
    OHP 1 x 6 @ 20kg
    Lat Pulldown (underhand grip) 3 x 6 @ 40kg (this was so hard but I am determined to do a pull up this year)
    Lateral raises 8, 6, 5 @ 7.5kg x 2 (the 5kg's were taken which is what I wanted to use)
    Hammer curls 8, 8, 6 @ 7.kg x 2

Legs are so sore from yesterday, but nevermind, I'll get back into it.

And there was one woman in the free weights area today! hooray! she was doing quarter squats, but nevermind, a bit of soladarity

• kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Happy belated new year everyone!

I'm still going strong with my new 4 day split programme - Stephie, it sounds quite similar to you. I am on the third week of the first cycle and the additional 1 rep I am adding to each exercise each week may not *sound* a lot, but it is often a struggle to complete. Today was the first day that I failed on a couple of sets - OHP (3x8@25kgs) and bicep curls, although I attribute that to the fact I was using dumbells rather than the barbell (which was taken) and my thumb, which I have broken previously, did not agree with the grip :(

I'm definitely feeling a bit stronger with it so am happy to carry on for now - today was upper body(strength):

Barbell rows - 4x6 @40kgs
    Bench press - 4x6 @40kgs
    assisted dips - 3x10 @ -33kgs
    incline dumbbell shoulder presses - 3x10@ 10kgs per side
    OHP 8/7/6 @25kgs
    dumbbell lateral raises - 3x10 @ 6kgs per side
    skullcrushers - 3x10@ 10kgs
    bicep curls - 10/10/4 @ 10kgs each side

so next week will add on 1 rep for everything except those things I failed on, for which I will keep the same number of reps, I assume.

In the meantime, legs next time!

I've been reading the "recomp" thread which I know a few of you have contributed to over the years......it seems to be that this is where I am now. I've finally lost the weight I wanted to lose, and have started to notice definite changes in shape - catching sight of a muscle here and there that I've not seen before, so I am switching my mindset from exercising and trying to lose weight, to training and recomp! We shall see how it goes!!

• AigreDoux
    Kimi - yeay for recomp! It's definitely a change in mindset, but a good one!

Stephie - nice workout! I will have to look up that program.

Deadlift day today. Ugh. Deadlifts were just NOT happening this morning.
    Deadlifts - 1x5@103 lbs, 1x5@115 lbs, 1x5@125 lbs and then I just hit a wall. Was supposed to be 3x3@130 and I just couldn't get it up. Finally after 4 tries did 1x3@130 then couldn't start the next set. Lowered the weight back down and got 2x3@125.
    Inverted row - 5x8
    Chin ups - 10x3 with assistance band. Used a lower assistance than last week at least.
    Meadow rows - 5x8 with bar
    Cable row - 4x12 with resistance band
    DB row - 4x12@20 lbs each arm
    15 minute incline treadmill walk

Happy Friday everyone!
  • Beeps2011
    ...I love reading the "recomp" journals....so, please keep posting, kimi!

Aigre, when I used to do hot yoga, THAT practice was where it finally dawned on me that it is TOTALLY "okay" to modify....I took that concept into my weight-training practice and never looked back.

I think the mindset also helps me as I age....I can always "modify" if I am losing (some) flexibility, or whatever. Beats "quitting", right?!?!
  • AigreDoux
    OHP day today:
    OHP: 1x5@33, 1x5@40, 1x5@45, 3x3@45
    Lateral DB raise - 4x10@8 dbs
    Scrape the rack press - 4x8@33 lbs
    Reverse curl - 4x10@EZbar
    Rear lateral raise - 4x12@5 lbs dbs
    Incline DB hammer curls - 4x10@8 lbs dbs
    DB front raise - 4x10@5 lbs dbs

We're in the middle of a snowstorm but I have a pot of beef barley soup on the stove and we are hanging out all cozy and warm. Don't know what I'll do about tomorrow's long run, though. Hopefully the roads will get plowed!
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    So am on holidays and totally forgot to mention that I PR'd my bench this week. Historical 1RM was 40kg (88lbs) - got 3 reps at that weight this week! Didn't try to go any higher (just experimenting) - but yay!

Back is sore from DLs - will rest it this week and sub out. Squats are back to the beginning AGAIN in order to fix my form. Was going ok but old habits creep in when the weight goes up so I'm doing some drills to help me stay upright in the bottom of the squat and keep my knees from caving in. I am a little frustrated but I have 2 awesome trainers working this through with me and I'm happy to try and fix it now, rather than later down the track.

Combat today with my old instructor- should be fun