The New Water Cooler

Options

Replies

• angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to bother to go back and read the missed 35 posts. Has it really been that long since I was on here? I"m trying I really am, its just not working.

Today I did something I haven't done in MONTHS. When I got home from work, I changed and in the dark and in the rain I ran! I did just shy of 4k! (If I had looked at my phone I would have looped the street to round it up!) I felt so good! I felt so energized! I did NOT sit on my rear all evening and watch Youtube videos like I have been. I actually did house work. I did energize me a little to much. It's past 11pm and I"m only starting to feel tired! I'm in the process of prepping my lunch right now (I'm hard boiling an egg for my lunch) so I decided to come on here and say hi to you all. I'm hoping tonight's run and energy can continue every night. One night needs to turn into many.
  • mizpaden74
    mizpaden74 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    it appears the sickness has invaded - Z is home sick - first day sick from school in three semesters - hope it's not the influenza - it's hitting c-town hard - even though we all had our shots - it's not a guarantee....

hope your weekends go better than ours look too!
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Lots of sickness around here too so trying to stay healthy.

Isaac comes today for an overnight with grandma and grandpa, looking forward too him. <3

I went to yoga today to deliver some meditation benches that Dave made. Theresa didn't come for the session but she did leave me the money. I would have stayed home because my knee has been sore for a few days now. I did stay for the practice and did feel a bit better afterward.

Have a good weekend.

Shirley
  • jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,225 Member
    Options
    The end of the week was so welcome. Yesterday I went to the gym after work and did a circuit of lunges, steps (forward/lateral), rowing, squats, ropes, hand weights for shoulders and back. I was able to do some of the exercises twice but not the squats. I cut the workout short at 20-25 minutes because my right knee was having a bad day. Russ and I went out for dinner and I had two glasses of a wonderful red cabernet sauvignon. I was in bed and asleep by 8:30. My knee feels so much better today. I will go to the gym tomorrow morning or afternoon.

Today I need to go to Teavana to get my friend a birthday present. She loves tea! I'm hoping to find her a little teapot she can fill with hot water at work and put on her desk while she works. She likes to drink tea at work.

This morning I scrubbed the shower and toilet, cleaned the bathroom counter top and washed down the glass doors. I still have some vacuuming left to do too. I wanted to post this recipe for you in case you want a light meal you can make ahead of time or use for lunches at work. Here is the recipe for the Soup in a Jar that Russ made. I would imagine you could use any kind of meat and seasonings, change up the veggies, bouillon flavor...

Soup in a Jar (we used Mason jars):
    1 package of instant ramen noodles, flavor pack discarded
    1 vegetable bouillon cub, quartered
    1 TBSP. Soy Sauce ( I added an additional teaspoon)
    1 tsp. hot sauce (I used Franks and another time an Asian Chili Sauce)
    1 tsp. freshly grated ginger
    1 cup shredded chicken (we used rotisserie from grocery)
    1/2 carrot, thinly sliced into matchsticks (could buy them that way to save time)
    1 cup baby spinach
    2 TBSP. scallions

1) Boil ramen noodles until al dente, about 2 minutes. Drain immediately and run cold water over the noodles to stop cooking. 2) Place bouillon cube quarters in the bottom of each mason jar. Divide Soy Sauce, hot sauce and fresh ginger between the jars. Top with shredded chicken, then pack noodles down over chicken (I would break noodles into smaller pieces). Layer baby spinach, carrots and scallions on top. Seal and refrigerate the jars until ready to eat. 3) Pour boiling water over top of the noodles. Screw lid back on jar and let steep for 2-3 minutes. 4) Stir thoroughly and eat right away.

This was pretty filling and not too many calories, I would imagine.

We actually saw the sun yesterday. I forgot what it looked like.

Enjoy your weekend!

Jenny
  • Shirley61
    Options
    Jenny - woo hoo you are killing the workouts. You just have to strenghten the muscles around the knee
    and maybe your pain will start to subside. I just have a week or so to get my 2 apts. in to find out about my knee so I can get back to where I was. Thanks for the recipe, I have similar one in my detox soup.

We had a blast with Isaac, he is so much fun and talking all the time now. <3 I miss him already.

We had a blizzard this weekend but not too much snow.

Next week back to less carbs and more protein. We had pancakes for all of us for breakast and leftover pizza. Still logging but I did give myself a break on Saturday.

Shirley

• mizpaden74
    Options
    several ball games this week - but the sickies are still hitting hard here
    your soup recipe sounds yummy Jenny - so glad you are getting your workouts in - yay!

Shirley - yay for Isaac time and Yay for losing a pound!!

I've nothing much to yay about -

• jrbanta
    Options
    HI! Busy and have to run but I will write more later or tomorrow.

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    ugh - migraine

niece has influenza a - we are holding our own mostly - Caleb still has cough, but otherwise we are sort of ok - aside from headaches

hang in there ladies

it's flumagedeon
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Busy day, busy week. I've had brain blips all day starting with my first appointment at 8:30am. I was out of the office all day and worked out of a McDonalds late morning using their free wifi to write an education plan. Three back to back visits in pm and home to change for the gym.

I went to my weekly training session today after work. I call it bootcamp since it kicks my butt. There were just two of us in the class tonight so that was nice. I guess Monday's class had 11 and it was pretty crowded. The trainer sets up a circuit of 6-7 exercises that work the whole body. We do three rounds that are timed and have brief rests in between. 11 people in that training area would be alot. I'm glad I didn't go on Monday. I think that will be a busy day after the weekend so I will do Tuesday through Friday if possible.

We went and saw A Dog's Purpose. It was more sad than I thought. The dogs were so cute but some of their home situations weren't so great. Kind of a strange movie and one could wait for it to be on DVD.

Marla- it sounds like you and your family are still fighting the crud. Strange winter isn't it? It has been really warm for winter here and today was normally cold and felt frigid. The sun has shown twice this week so I'm very grateful for that.

Well I need to log my food and then call my cousin in Indiana. We keep missing each other on the phone and leaving messages. He called while I was at bootcamp.

Have a nice evening!
    Jenny
  • Shirley61
    Options
    Yesterday I crossed the pond and had lunch with my friend who just had foot surgery. She is doing well but still at home. She just had her stitches out but is getting around with a walker. We had pizza for lunch and ice cream for dessert. Not a great calorie day. :s

This morning was my chiropractor apt. and I asked if she wouldn't do traction this time or next week,
    it feels more sore afterwards. She said she would and see how I feel. My orthopedic doctor apt. is Monday.

We will be going to see Isaac next week for a visit before we leave for Jamaica on the 19th. Always fun
    playing with my grandson.

Marla - I hope the family feels better from the flu going around.

Jenny - I guess you have to pick and chose your days for exercise. Less is more. I have to pick and
    chose because of my knee. :p

Shirley
  • Shirley61
    Options
    Here is grandpa and Isaac in the basement watching Zool on the computer.

80dwifxyzwrs.jpg
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Busy day but had one cancelled appointment after I settled in at Caribou Coffee between my two visits. Since the second visit was cancelled I stayed at Caribou to get my paperwork done instead of going to the office and dealing with interruptions. I got it all done so felt very productive. I made it back to the office for lunch and afternoon meetings. I have 4 visits tomorrow back to back starting at 7am, ugh! It will be early as usual on a Friday.

Tonight after work some of us met at the local bar/tavern and had cocktails and dinner. Nice evening to catch up with people I don't see in a typical day or have already retired.

My oldest, David, turned 29 today! Wow! He's in Mexico so I wished him happy birthday last week and sent him his gift a couple of weeks ago. Time sure went very fast!!!!

I had a very good eating day, healthy and light fare. I feel good about it. Now to keep up my logging and exercising.

Shirley-darling picture of Dave and Isaac! Where in Jamaica will you go? Have you been to the resort before? I'm curious about where is the place to go in Jamaica.

Well relaxing and off to bed.

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    great job Jenny!!Keep up the excellent work
    wonderful pic Shirley

Happy Weekend my friends.

• jrbanta
    Options
    Yay Friday! One more week and then a week off. Can't wait! I've had a few students cancel next week so that will lighten things up a bit. It is hard to keep the pace some days. Today I started at 7am at a home and went non stop until 12:15. Raced back to the office for a 1pm meeting (wolfed down my lunch in 10 minutes), and the teacher forgot the meeting so we had to hold it at 3pm (past my duty day today). I was hoping to go to the gym at 3:30 to work out before the training classes started and it got crowded. I'm going to get up and go in the morning instead.

We saw the sun several days this week so that was a nice bright spot of the week.
    Nothing planned this weekend. I have some student attendance records to do in front of the TV at some point.

Have a nice weekend! Oh yeah, lost 2.8 pounds!
    Jenny
  • jrbanta
    Options
    I met my goal to make it to the gym this morning at 7:30. I did a 30 minute strength and cardio circuit similar to what we do in my boot camp class. I left out some of the exercises due to time. The boot camp class was to be held at 8am and I wanted to be done before that started so I could use the stuff and area. I only pay to attend that class one time per week and had gone on Wednesday. My goal is to go tomorrow morning for more cardio w/o the weights. I have two nights this week with activities so I need to get some workouts in before the two consecutive days of missing. I had second portions at dinner last night so maybe todays workout will counter that:( When will I learn to portion control? I love food too much!

I need to go get some new workout pants and a top or two. My stuff is old, elastic is disintegrating, and tops are all stinky. I've had them for years!

Have a nice Saturday!

Jenny

• Shirley61
    Options
    Jenny - So proud of you and how your activities are changing and seeing changes on the scale. You go!!
    Congrats on the weight loss.

Hi Marla don't forget us. I think at times we have lost Ang, I guess she is too busy these days.

Last night we went to a Junior B hockey game with friends from our sailing club. We had dinner at The Office and I had a fish dinner which was delicious. I did a lot of walking, not unusual for me, but now with my knee problem it was alot. So today I iced it but I did go to yoga class this morning.
    A lady from yoga gave me the CD The African Queen with Bogart and Hepburn. I have seen it before
    but forgot it all when we watched it.

I am doing a crockport meal of sauerkraut, brautwurst, carrots and red potatoes.

Have a great evening, now for my meditation.

Shirley
  • jrbanta
    Options
    I didn't sleep a wink last night. I woke up so tired so didn't go to the gym right away. Russ went early and I lounged drinking coffee and watching reruns of Friends. I went to the gym at noon and walked on the treadmill for 30 minutes moderate and slow pace, alternating. My knee feels it a little bit. I went to Target and bought a pair of workout pants and top, a small rug for our entry, and some Panera Butternut Squash soup for one of my lunches this week. I love that soup.

Came home and sat in the hot tub, showered and laid on my bed to read and snooze. It felt good.

Shirley, I should really give meditation a try. Do you follow a certain program? I can't remember what you have told me in the past about it. Interesting name for a restaurant, The Office. What kind of food is it?

We are going to grab a bite to eat since we are both tired and lazy tonight.

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    Jenny - keep up the amazing work!!

I am still here lurking -

Shirley - how was your crockpot dinner? I need more of those!

I (sort of) watched the Life of Pets with Caleb (been fighting a terrible headache, so mostly I laid on the couch with my eyes closed and listened)
  • Shirley61
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Jenny - My meditation is TM, transcendental meditation, its a 4 day course you take and does cost a bit but it has been worth it for me and my blood pressure.
    Marla - I get most of my crockpot meals from Pintrest.

We were invited to a Super Bowl party too and I ate my share of snacks and we also had a dinner of ribs, wings and pasta salad. All good but got on the scale and all the sodium is showing now. Not too worry a day or so and that will come down. I really wasn't hooting for any particular team but was surprised to see New England at the finish. Oh, well another year, another game. Lady Gaga did a fabulous job at half time. We don't get the commercials here in Canada so nothing to compare from last year.

I had my apt. at the orthopaedic surgeon today, he was so young, he looked 20 but I am sure he was older. Anyway, he gave me the okay to go back on my bike again but carefully. He agrees with my
    chiropractor that its probably meniscus. My MRI is on the 14th of Feb so we will know more. I have another apt. March 1st to get my results. He suggested I save my money and no more chiropractor
    apts for now. We leave on the 20th of Feb for Jamaica so thinking about that right now and what to take and pack.

Wednesday we are going to see Isaac until Thursday. I have a picture to share.

Shirley
  • Shirley61
    Options
    Time is flying, he will be 2 in April 3rd.

ftdfat1fe4mw.jpg

Shirley