Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Long day. Had a morning work shift, came home to spend time online while also studying and didn't go to the gym until after 9pm. Made it through chapter 2 in the tech book, which was a little easier to get through compared to chapter 1. Wanted to see what this gym was like later in the evening instead of mid-day or the after work type hours. It wasn't bad but still had to wait for the squat racks. I also tried to film some lifts just for fun using the very tiny vivitar camera I have to see how it would turn out and I might put some of the clips in a video soon.

The workout:

push press - 2x10 @ 45, 1x8 @ 65, 3x5 @ 75
    front squat - 2x10 @ 45, 1x8 @ 65, 3x8 @ 95
    deadlift - 1x8 @ 135, 1x5 @ 175, 3x5 @ 195
    cleans - 1x8 @ 45, 2x6 @ 65

And after a bunch of computer struggles and such, I have managed to get a video up for my youtube channel. It's just me trying a protein powder and rambling about novel genres but still, it's something.
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Dawn - that's cool how you are getting into more varied movements with the push presses and cleans. Cool about pharmacy technician certification!

Saturday was OHP day, last of my deload week:
    OHP - 1x5@33 lbs, 1x5@38 lbs, 3x5@40 lbs
    Lateral raise - 4x10@8 lbs dbs
    Scrape the rack press - 4x8@35 lbs
    Reverse curl - 5x10@20 lbs
    Rear lateral raise - 4x12@7.5 lbs dbs
    Incline hammer curls - 4x10@10 lbs dbs
    Front raise - 4x10@7.5 lbs dbs

Yesterday it snowed again, and so I didn't want to go out on the roads for my run. Downloaded a treadmill workout app and used that for a 1 hour run at varying speeds on the treadmill while I watched TV. Was ok, did about 5 miles, but my treadmill is awfully inaccurate and my watch said 6 miles, so who knows. Considering the amount of snow we have, I don't know when I'm next going to be able to run outside.

Looking forward to spring.
  • StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    So after I was off with Kaitlyn the lurgy then came to me and Nick!!

Started feeling better last Tuesday, but still struggled to get anything done, so decided to give myself some time off to get better.

Today I did lower heavy and I should have deloaded much more.

Squats: 3x6 @ 70kg - this was bad. My form was very bad :(
    Deadlifts: 2 x 6 @ 80kg - these were fine
    Sumo deads: 1 x 6 @ 60kg - never done sumo deads before, thought I would give it a go to see what they were like. I felt much more unsteady than when doing conventionals - on lockout I felt like I was wobbling about.

I suspect I would be stronger pulling sumo so we will see, I'll keep having a go and see what happens.

Should be back at the gym tomorrow for upper heavy - my back is sore from squats but I'm hoping to do some yoga tonight to loosen up a bit.

Will catch up on posts now
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    I suspect I would be stronger pulling sumo so we will see, I'll keep having a go and see what happens.

Most people would be but there is a lot more that can go technically wrong with a sumo and lead to either the bar not getting up or an injury. A lot of people who sumo actually are just doing a wide leg DL so get someone to check your form. I like the sumo - and can do it - but I can also do conventional. My trainer has swapped me back to conventional because long term - and to meet my goals - I will probably be able to lift more (even if it doesn't look beautiful).

Yesterday was squat day and it sucked...... big time. Nothing to do with my legs or the actual squat motion - all to do with my bar positioning and shoulder mobility. I have ordered myself some wrist wraps which I'm hoping will help (long story). Life is stress at the moment - could really do with lifting going well for once!!
  • AigreDoux
    Options
    Stephie - glad you are feeling better! I tried sumo I think once but my shoes were slipping and it was not good. I do have short arms so I wonder if it would be better for me, though.

Jo - sorry to hear about the stress and hope the wrist wraps help!

Bench day today:
    Incline bench - 1x5@38 lbs, 2x5@55 lbs, 3x3@60 lbs. Felt pretty strong through these.
    Decline bench - 5x6@40 lbs
    Narrow grip DB bench - 5x6@17.5 lbs dbs
    DB flys - 4x8@8 lbs dbs
    Overhead tricep extension - 4x12@10 lbs
    Then on the treadmill for a 30 minute run.

Hope you all have a great Valentine's Day!
  • StephieWillcox
    Options
    Aigre - I figure I will pull sumo as an accessory, I will likely continue to pull conventional for the main training

Jo - I hope you can get the bar position stuff figured out :(

Upper heavy today
    Bench press: 3 x 6 @ 40kg nearly bailed on the final rep but I thought screw it. The gym was busy and someone would have helped if I got stuck
    DB row: 3 x 6 @ 15kg
    OHP: 1 x 6 @ 30kg (WOOHOOO, think this is the most reps I've done at 30!)
    Lat pull down: 1 x 6 @ ~55kg (I can't remeber this one off the top of my head)
    Tricep push down: 3 x 10 @ 15kg
    Lateral raises: 3 x 6 @ 7.5kg DB's

I really like the "bro" ness of this day. Makes me feel badass haha

• DawnEmbers
    Options
    Aigre - Thanks. I've done them before, more so the push press than cleans. Plus push press isn't that far off from the usual military press or overhead press, whatever term the program uses. I just like them now cause using the legs for a little momentum means can lift just a little more weight. You've got some nice lifts there and a little variety too.

Jo - hope the wrist wraps help.

Stephie - Nice work. I do sumo as more of an accessory. First tried it just out of curiosity and it was interesting enough that I like to do it on my squat focused days. Still lift more conventional than sumo but I have done it far longer and focus more on increasing the 1rm with conventional.

Today I went to work a little earlier than usual at the other store instead of the mid-shift that I would have had at my main location. Needed to get an order in so I can put it all away on Thursday when we get the shipment. This should help with all of the empty spots on the sales floor. Since I was over there, went to the gym after work for upper body and a little cardio. I ended up trying the decline bench there but I'm too short for that particular one and trying to un-rack when it was that far from a comfortable starting position just didn't work out well. Also, had an older lady trainer correct my form on tricep pushdowns. It was short and to the point, not trying to push anything, so I didn't mind as on occasion my elbows do flair out with that one and sometimes need to work on keeping them more at my sides.

band pulls - 3x12
    bench - 2x10 @ 45,1x8 @ 65, 3x5 @ 95
    pause bench - 2x6 @ 65 at a 5 count
    decline bench - 1x8 @ 45, 1x8 @ 65
    tricep pushdown - 4x10 @ 60
    overhead tricep ext - 3x8 @ 30

Treadmill at a 2 incline, 3.2 speed for 30 minutes

Not bad and I have tomorrow off from work. I may have ice cream for dinner because I can (even though it could lead to regret but eh, occasionally I ignore my little allergies).
  • AigreDoux
    Options
    Dawn - nice benching! haha on ice cream for dinner!

Stephie - such a bro, you are! ;-)

Squat day for me today:
    Back squat - 1x5@33 lbs, 1x5@53 lbs, 1x3@75 lbs, 1x5@80 lbs, 1x5@85 lbs, 3x3@90 lbs Felt pretty good, maybe RPE 7 even on the last sets
    RDL - 4x8@90 lbs
    RFESS - 4x8@16 lbs
    Reverse lunge - 4x8@33 lbs
    Back extensions - 4x30@BW
    Valslide push aways - 4x10
    Reverse crunches - 4x10

So didn't want to do the ab stuff but I have skipped it for 3 weeks now. Hate ab work.

Took a few videos, hope will get a chance to get them up today. Stephie check out my leggings! :)
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Unfortunately, I didn't eat the ice cream for dinner. Have a slight cold and just wasn't feeling up for it plus had planned to do it for part of a video and filming wasn't working out either. So, I had a lenny & larry cookie and a reese's heart for dinner instead.

Yay for squat day. I never do ab work though should probably do something or other.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options

Have a slight cold, which is a nuisance but it's just some minor congestion. Still getting some things done today though. Stopped by my main store to maybe get something or at least get an order number but it's not going to work that way and got some information on the process will have to take with the other location. Also, one manager is going to print off some papers for mileage to get reimbursed on it for some things that I have to get from one to the other. Also got the package to the post office to send to stepdad as he needs his camera back followed by going to the gym.

squats - 2x10 @ 45, 1x8 @ 95, 1x8 @ 135, belt 3x5 @ 165
    good morning - 3x10 @ 95
    pause squats - 2x5 @ 95
    sumo deadlift - 1x8 @ 135, 1x5 @ 165, belt 3x6 @ 185

Considered doing 195 but am glad I stayed at 185. Didn't have much yesterday and this morning only had a peanut butter sandwich. Not the best fueled for a heavy leg day. Had food once I got home and now to work on a youtube video.
  • AigreDoux
    Options
    Dawn - sorry about your cold. Glad it's not an awful one though and you are able to work through it! As always, impressive squats and deadlifts!

30 min run on the treadmill doing intervals today. 15s sprints followed by 3 min easy run. Different, at least, but still looking forward to all this snow melting so I can run outside again. I have some good glute/ham/ab DOMS going on, so I guess I hit them hard enough yesterday. Onwards!
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Aigre - Thanks. It's minor so just a nuisance but hopefully it vanishes quick. Nice run. I was a little tired from work and the cold, decided to walk on treadmill instead of jog.

Went to the gym after work but more because sister wouldn't be able to get me until after her internship thing ends at 7 pm but I was done with my shift at 6:15. Busy day since we got the freight I had ordered on Tuesday, trying to get most of the product that we didn't currently have. It is only me to put it away but since it's a small store the shipment wasn't that big. Got most of it done except for a few things. Felt rather tired so I didn't do much at the gym, just some dumbbell work and cardio.

one arm db row - 3x10 @ 37.5
    db fly - 3x8 @ 20
    seated db shoulder press - 3x10 @ 20
    lat pull down - 3x8 @ 75
    30 minute walk on treadmill with 2 incline and speed of 3.2
  • AigreDoux
    Options
    OHP day today for me. Technically supposed to be deadlifts but that workout takes longer and I didn't get up in time. Will do tomorrow.
    OHP - 1x5@33 lbs, 1x5@40 lbs, 1x5@45 lbs, 3x3@50 lbs. Few of the third reps of 50 lbs were a bit grindy, but I got them up.
    Lateral raise - 4x10@8 lbs dbs
    Scrape the rack press - 4x8@35 lbs
    Reverse curl - 5x10@20 lbs
    Rear lateral raise - 4x12@7.5 lbs dbs
    Incline hammer curls - 4x10@10 lbs dbs
    Front raise - 4x10@7.5 lbs dbs

Got my belt in the mail yesterday. Tried it out on the OHPs. Glad I am working out at home wearing this giant thick belt doing 50 lb presses, lol! I think I may need to get it a little tighter as it wasn't giving me much to push on. I also hope it breaks in a bit. The belt is round and I am oval, so I ended up with a big gap at my back. Is this the way it is supposed to work? How do you guys with belts decide when to use them and how tight to put them? Looking forward to seeing how it feels with deadlifts tomorrow.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Cardio

Didn't feel like bench press tonight so just did 40 minutes walking on treadmill until sister was able to get over from her internship to pick me up.
  • AigreDoux
    Options
    Saturday did my deadlifts with my new belt. Went well!
    Deadlifts - 1x5@53 lbs, 1x5@83 lbs, 1x5@103 lbs, 1x5@115 lbs, 1x5@120 lbs, 3x3@130 lbs. Definitely the smoothest that 130 has felt.
    Inverted row - 5x8
    Chin ups w assistance band - 10x4, first time I've been able to get 4 reps on all the sets with my lightest band
    Meadow row - 5x12 with bar
    cable row - 4x12 with resistance band
    Bent over row - 4x12@17.5 lbs db
    15 minute treadmill walk at max incline

Then yesterday the weather was gorgeous so we went to the zoo, then I went for a 6 mile run afterwards. Bring on spring!

Today is usually a rest day, but it's a holiday so I may do my bench day today and a short run tomorrow. We will see on the timing though.
  • StephieWillcox
    Options
    Aigre - saw your deads with belt. Looked AMAZING. I immediately looked up getting a belt. Next payday it's happening. FANTASTIC job on the chinups, you're doing freaking amazingly with them.

So I discovered (following a conversation on ETP group) that my squat was highbar.

Today I decided to try out low bar - I feel like I didn't quite make it, but it was definitely better than my previous bar position as I didn't tip forward at the bottom of the squat. Will post the video to ETP for a form check in case anyone would like to help me out :)

Canditio lower heavy day
    Squats: 3 x 6 @ 60kg
    Deadlifts: 2 x 6 @ 80kg
    RFESS: 3 x 8 each side just using bodyweight

*kitten* is killing now so I think my new squat position had the desired effect (take some load off the quads and move it to my glutes/hammies)
  • StephieWillcox
    Options
    Upper heavy day

Bench press: 3 x 6 @ 40kg
    DB rows: 3 x 6 each side @ 17.5kg DB's
    OHP: 1 x 6 @ 30kg
    Lat pulldown: 1 x 6 @ 57kg
    Tricep pushdowns: 3 x 10 @ 15kg
    Lateral raises: 10, 6, 6 @ 7.5kg dumbbells

Arms are shot!!! Time for some lunch :)
  • AigreDoux
    Options
    Nice workouts, Stephie! Did you end up getting the house you wanted?
    Saw your video over on ETP forum, I have the same problem so I am following closely. I may try that warming up over small plates thing. One thing that has helped me some, I think, is concentrating on pulling the bar into my back, and thus keeping my chest up and back tighter.
    Really love the belt. I got the Inzer forever lever belt. I had to wait like 6 weeks cause I didn't want black. #vanity even in my own house. Ha!

Anyway, yesterday I did bench day
    Incline bench - 1x5@33 lbs, 1x5@53 lbs, 3x3@60 lbs, 2x2@65 lbs. When I started this program I couldn't do more than 2 reps at 60 lbs, so that's pretty good progress I think!
    Decline bench - 5x6@44 lbs
    Narrow grip DB bench - 5x6@20 lbs DBs
    DB fly - 4x8@8 lbs dbs
    Overhead tricep extension - 4x12@10 lbs

Was supposed to get up and run this morning but hip flexor is still a little painful and didn't sleep well last night, so decided to take a full rest day. Looking forward to squatting tomorrow with the belt for the first time!
  • StephieWillcox
    Options
    The standing on small plates thing looks like genius if I'm honest. Forces you to keep it mid foot. I asked on Reddit too and they suggested I need stronger abs to brace better to keep everything more together.

We had an offer accepted on the house we liked, I don't know how the house thing works in the US but it's an absolute pain in the *kitten* in the UK! There are 4 people in our "chain": our buyers, us, our sellers and the house that they are buying. We all have to sign contacts on the same day (which hasn't happened yet) and until that point anyone can pull out. Generally it can take 8 - 12 weeks until "exchange" and we're only about 5 weeks in so far.

A chain of 4 isn't even a lot - I've known people in chains of 11 which I'm sure you can imagine is a catastrophe if someone pulls out.

Enjoy your squatting with the belt - I'm sure it will feel great
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Skipped the gym for a few days as my right hand is acting up. Not sure if it's the writing notes by hand when I study or what but is being temperamental. Made it to the gym after work today and would have waited a long time but a guy let me work in with him as he was working on hang snatches. I had to do deadlifts first but that was okay. Decent session overall. Tried front squat but bar made hand ache but did manage to do the light weight cleans okay just with some aching.

First class is tomorrow for the tech program and still waiting to hear if I'll be between the two stores or go to the other one on a more permanent basis. We'll see.

deadlift - 1x12 @ 65, 1x10 @ 135, 1x8 @ 175, with belt 2x6 and 1x8 @ 195
    low bar - 1x10 @ 45, 1x10 @ 95, 3x8 @ 135
    clean - 1x8 @ 45, 3x8 @ 65