LCD Chat...

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Right, Monday... Like Garfield, I'm not a fan of Mondays.

So last week, I traveled for work leaving home around 6:30am on Sun. morning and got home sometime around 9pm on Fri. night. While traveling, I had difficulty finding exact MFP database entries, so I did my best to guess. I also bought some sausage snacks and some nuts for snacks, even after telling myself I wasn't going to buy any nuts until I reached my goal weight. I can easily eat several lbs. of nuts and that is a lot of calories... though I was able to choose mostly low carb nuts. One of the nuts had a glaze on it. The nutrition facts showed 2g net carbs per ounce (5g total carb - 3g fiber), but the resulting BG spike (13 oz. / supposedly 26g net carbs put my BG at almost 500 mg/dl within a few hours) says their nutrition facts are wrong. At places without nutrition facts, I chose dishes that I knew should be low carb... at an Indian place, for example, Murgh Tikka Masala with no rice and no naan.

Since I was so far over on calories, I decided I'm going to capitalize on that and continue over calorie this week in a "refeed / reset" attempt, but will be working on lower carbs and filling in extra calories from fat instead. I made a chili on Sun. big enough to feed me most of the rest of this week.

The other trouble with my traveling is that I'm exhausted. I got home around 9pm on Fri. night, left at about 7:30am Sat. morning (personal travel that day - a meeting for an organization I volunteer with on the steering committee, then an errand for my car, then my brother's birthday celebration before returning home - total driving of around 550 miles) and I returned home around 3am again on Sun. morning. So from about 6:30 am Sun. morning to 6:30am on the next Sun. morning, I was home a cumulative total of 13.5 hrs. and spent much of that time sleeping. I'm so glad to be home (at work now, but you know what I mean), but kinda tired.
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Question about personal carb limit and kicking yourself out of ketosis (didn't feel like it was significant enough to make a new thread)...I stop eating for the day around 7:30 pm, I take a urine ketone test at 7:30 am. So if my meals the previous day are high enough carb to kick me out of ketosis, would 12 hours between eating and measuring ketones be enough time to see the results on the stick or does it take longer for your body to use up or flush out all of the ketones in my urine? I'm sure water intake would also be a factor.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    You want to be fat adapted, in ketosis, not so much. And the hydration level effects the sticks. Most low carbers know the sticks are not a great way to determine ketosis and you are probably not going to get out of it with one meal or one component of a meal. The Launchpad threads have a lot of info about the sticks etc. and FA vs. Ketosis.
  • ProCoffeenator
    ProCoffeenator Posts: 523 Member
    Hello Tuesday!!
    It's another day!! We can dig our heels into the week and tell it that we will make it through!

Last I remember @RowdysLady was having a rough spot... man! I hope she's lurking somewhere! Or comes back soon!

@midwesterner85 You've certainly been a busy bee!! Glad you made it home after a crazy busy week!

@bowlerae how long have you been Keto? After a month or two those strips will likely stop working for you. They measure ketones that are not being used by your system and in turn are spilled into your urine. Once you hit actual ketosis your body will be using them and you may only get trace readings. A blood meter or breath analyzer would be more accurate. As a general most people stay below 20g of carbs a day. The more athletic people may be able to do more (people who a exercising 5x a week).

@andrederosier Wow! Awesome NSV! Sounds to me like you are making some great progress!!

I'm still working on my n=1. I got that scale to move a bit but now it seems to still be a stubborn spot. I'm getting frustrated for sure! I cannot take my dairy out, if I do I'll be for sure falling off the wagon. I'm going to finish off this week and see where it puts me. I have it in the back of my head that with the weather being so nice I've been overly active and feeding my head the excuse that I'm seeing muscle gains on the scale. Wishful thinking!!

Anyways, hope you all have a wonderful day!
  • perfekta
    perfekta Posts: 331 Member
    Hey everyone. Thought I would introduce myself. I'm trying Keto and Intermittent Fasting after reading the book The Obesity Code.

I'm a lifelong yo-yo dieter. I got up to 308 about 8 years ago, and I have gained and lost over 100 lbs repeatedly. Right now I am 93 lbs down, and still working on getting off some of my regain from a couple years ago. But since starting Keto, this is the first time in my life I haven't felt like I'm going to die of cravings while I've lost weight! I used to feel like I was white knuckling it the whole time.

I think we're supposed to write an about me paragraph, and then ask a question, oh the pressure.

I'm 40, married, one sassy (I think that's the polite way to say jerky lol) 12 year old daughter, a house full of pets, (I am a total animal nut), I work at a bookstore (but thank god off the floor, customers make me want to die) so I'm a huge reader too, Netflix binger, I love to do Fitbit challenges with people from all over the world (anyone on here can add me too), god, I never realize how boring I am til I write these things.

Okay, my question: Favorite go to Keto snack?

Mine (full disclosure, I am the world's pickiest eater, and I have the palate of a 3 year old) is salami rolled up with a piece of sharp cheddar. Leave me to die, I'm in heaven! I can get full and it's super yummy.
  • bowlerae
    @bowlerae how long have you been Keto? After a month or two those strips will likely stop working for you. They measure ketones that are not being used by your system and in turn are spilled into your urine. Once you hit actual ketosis your body will be using them and you may only get trace readings. A blood meter or breath analyzer would be more accurate. As a general most people stay below 20g of carbs a day. The more athletic people may be able to do more (people who a exercising 5x a week).

I'm assuming you mean once I hit actual "fat adaption". Hmm let's see. I've been keto I guess since about January first after returning from a 3 week vacation where I went all out on carbs (after previously doing keto). I think I've had 2 days since January first where I've had a lot of carbs and fell out of ketosis. It's been about 4 weeks since my last high carb day. Ketone strips are still working for me. I have been looking at a blood ketone meter but the strips seem kind of expensive and also I'm not to keen on pricking my finger. I've heard about the breath analyzer but I haven't researched how accurate or expensive it is. Also, I already know I can stay in ketosis at about 30-35g net carbs.
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    JohnnyLowCarb Posts: 418 Member
    edited February 2017
    Thank YOU to the person who started this PRIVATE community. I am new to the community section of MFP. When I love that we can discuss our success and positive experience with the LCHF diets.
  • bowlerae
    johnnylew wrote: »
    Thank YOU to the person who started this PRIVATE community. I am new to the community section of MFP. When I posted in the regular community about my success and positive experience with the LCHF diets I had some negative and not so motivating responses.

Omg I know it's horrible!! But also, please keep in mind we generally do not talk about the main forums here as we could get in trouble about it. Glad you are a part of the community!
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    JohnnyLowCarb Posts: 418 Member
    bowlerae wrote: »
    johnnylew wrote: »
    Thank YOU to the person who started this PRIVATE community. I am new to the community section of MFP. When I posted in the regular community about my success and positive experience with the LCHF diets I had some negative and not so motivating responses.

Omg I know it's horrible!! But also, please keep in mind we generally do not talk about the main forums here as we could get in trouble about it. Glad you are a part of the community!

Oh yeah - sorry first offensive and will never happen again! Go Low Carbers!
  • Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    Good Tuesday morning, everyone! I made some pigs-in-the-blanket with fathead dough yesterday. OMG. So easy and delicious. I think my next fathead dough adventures will involve empanadas - I live in the area where every gas station and convenience store has hot empanadas and pastelitos on display as soon as you walk in. Hope everyone has a fantastic week!
  • ProCoffeenator
    bowlerae wrote: »
    Question about personal carb limit and kicking yourself out of ketosis (didn't feel like it was significant enough to make a new thread)...I stop eating for the day around 7:30 pm, I take a urine ketone test at 7:30 am. So if my meals the previous day are high enough carb to kick me out of ketosis, would 12 hours between eating and measuring ketones be enough time to see the results on the stick or does it take longer for your body to use up or flush out all of the ketones in my urine? I'm sure water intake would also be a factor.

Nope. I meant actual Keto adapted this and fat adaptation are two different things. You can be fat adapted and not be in ketosis.
    Eating carb heavy can have an effect on your ketone levels anywhere from 12 to 48 hours later depending on all kinds of different things.

I'm not using urine strips, because I've been at this so long. I believe that I am in ketosis due to the number of positive effects I've had for my personal system. BUT I cannot for sure say I'm in ketosis 100%. I'm not worried about a finger prick since I already test my glucose. I'm ordering a ketone meter as from what I've read and heard is more reliable than a ketonix.
  • retirehappy
    This is interesting, WHO changing their guidelines:
    http://www.ditchthecarbs.com/2017/02/17/diet-and-cardiovascular-disease/
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Lillith32 wrote: »
    Good Tuesday morning, everyone! I made some pigs-in-the-blanket with fathead dough yesterday. OMG. So easy and delicious. I think my next fathead dough adventures will involve empanadas - I live in the area where every gas station and convenience store has hot empanadas and pastelitos on display as soon as you walk in. Hope everyone has a fantastic week!

Oooh....good idea.....the family loves those.....My husband is getting ready to go low carb as he has seen my success the last few months....This will be a great quick weeknight dinner idea!
  • ProCoffeenator
    Wednesday is here!
    It's the halfway point! This week is going pretty quick. Tonight will be rough since I've got to stay for a meeting. My time between finishing my scheduled day and the meeting will hopefully be going for a walk! I managed to get one in yesterday on my lunch which was awesome for me. I can't believe this weather has been so nice for so long! I'm enjoying it while it's here. Once this next cold snap rolls in I'm going to be a super sad panda. Spring is coming though.

I'm staying positive but my n=1 isn't showing me the results I was hoping for. It did at first but now it's just the same as before. I broke down and put Splenda in my coffee this morning. Yeah I know. My idea here is to add the Splenda back in for the next few days. If I gain it's gone forever. If there's no change or losses showing then I'm going to let it stay. We will see!

Enjoy the weather today! The "Midwest" area is looking at record temps today.. I just saw my area is forecast to be mid 60's!!
  • retirehappy
    Marillian, You had a good time and followed your WOE in the face of a large temptation, well done. You.

Procoffenatore, good luck on the experiment with splenda. And enjoy this high temps, we are getting them as well but the wind keeps my walking to short ones. Up to 50 miles an hr. gusts are not my idea of a good time. Beats snow though and that is in the forecast for the next couple of days, so will get out and walk while I can. And I too am happy that Spring is on the way.

purplesevens, I love how I am not hangry all the time on this WOE. Enjoy this great benefit.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Hi and welcome newbies! @perfekta my fave snack is Freybe Double Smoked or Damn Hot Habanero pepperoni...... Orrrrr old cheese smothered in cheese and wrapped in cheese lol.
  • ProCoffeenator
    Happy Thursday!!
    My meeting was cancelled last night due to lack of staff. Lots of call ins and people getting sent home due to illness. It's bad. I got my lunchtime walk in which was lovely!
    My experiment is still going on. My scale did show a loss but not anything dramatic so I've still got to wait and see what happens.
    Honestly in my head I'm on a track of beating myself up about being lazy. I think it's because I've been getting my walks in these last few days. The extra bit of moving has been really nice. The days that I get some exercise in I feel great. The other days it's one excuse or another. Maybe I need to spend some time really thinking about it. I don't feel like I've got any spare time to exercise. I need motivation.