Slower Weight loss at 50?

Options

Replies

• eku0
    eku0 Posts: 10,110 Member
    Options
    Good morning. Sunny and 31 this a.m., forecast high of 46. We had some hail yesterday...it was in the 50s. I did some housework, worked on some painting stuff. (Supposed to warm up to the 50s tomorrow and 60s on Tuesday.) A good day to wear my fake Uggs. Not much planned for today. Have to take a book back to the library, maybe make some soup.
    Happy Sunday! :)

• Joanne3366
    Joanne3366 Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    Good morning;
    It is 40 degrees this morning and it is windy.
    I am a bad mother. I accidentally shut Vinny in a storage cabinet that we have in the basement.
    I went down around 8pm last night to get my NS snack. He must of followed me down and got in the cabinet. I shut the door and went up stairs. My hubby was looking for him this morning to feed him and couldn't find him. I was at work. He eventually heard faint meows and followed the sound.
    Tomorrow is my daughter's birthday, so we are taking her out to dinner tonight. We are going to a new restaurant called Olive and Mint. I think it is Mediterranean.
    Roger- I wonder if the town put in speed bumps if that would help?
    Irene-I am glad you like your new carpet and that they did a good job.
    Vix-What kind of soup are you making?
    Enjoy your day!
  • eku0
    Options
    Jo, poor Vinny! Glad your husband found him. :) Have fun at dinner tonight, Mediterranean food is yummy.
    I'm going to make some split pea soup.
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I was out walking today and hit 9319 steps. The temperature was 39 degrees and along the walk I saw it had dropped to 37 degrees vs 51 degrees yesterday and was not that great for walking due wind gusts :(

I stopped at the Local grocery store and Picked up Gala Apples for $0.79 cents a pound and Bartlett Pears for $1.29. I did not pick up Bananas as my brother will be picking them up at the ShopRite on a coupon for 2 free pounds with a $10 purchase and it is hard to beat that price :)

Have a Great Sunday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I'm playing with the size tag here :)

Still more Humor today
  • RogerToo
    Options
    hi all, well we got our new carpet I love it ,it came out really nice so we are very happy.Our weather here for the last 2 days have been in the 70s but I hear it is going to get colder. These IRS calls have been around for a long time I remember last year getting a call I just hung up.

Hi Irene
    I don't answer anything where I do not recognize the number. I did name the ones I know and if the others are important they will leave a message or it was not important.

The ones I really hate are the Text messages. The Cell phones in the house are on a Zero (0) text message basis so that any text message costs $$$
    I also get those electric calls like 2 times a day on my cell

We have not answered the phone on the Landline phone number in years and they still call every day :(

Stay warm, it not only got colder it got breezy
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options
    eku0 wrote: »
    Good morning. Sunny and 31 this a.m., forecast high of 46. We had some hail yesterday...it was in the 50s. I did some housework, worked on some painting stuff. (Supposed to warm up to the 50s tomorrow and 60s on Tuesday.) A good day to wear my fake Uggs. Not much planned for today. Have to take a book back to the library, maybe make some soup.
    Happy Sunday! :)
    Hi
    We did have a Thunderstorm roll through around 6 and some areas of NJ had pea sized hail too.

If I said a do little day sounds good to me.
    eku0 wrote: »
    Jo, poor Vinny! Glad your husband found him. :) Have fun at dinner tonight, Mediterranean food is yummy.
    I'm going to make some split pea soup.

I just vacuum sealed some Thick sliced Bacon from Dietrichs in Pennsylvania and a some Ham Shanks portions. The Bone from that is earmarked for Either Split pea or Bean soup knowing my brother. For now it is all in the freezer. The Bacon when fried crispy on the outside is so soft and creamy inside and is also chopped up to go into Home Made baked Beans.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Joanne3366 wrote: »
    Good morning;
    It is 40 degrees this morning and it is windy.
    I am a bad mother. I accidentally shut Vinny in a storage cabinet that we have in the basement.
    I went down around 8pm last night to get my NS snack. He must of followed me down and got in the cabinet. I shut the door and went up stairs. My hubby was looking for him this morning to feed him and couldn't find him. I was at work. He eventually heard faint meows and followed the sound.
    Tomorrow is my daughter's birthday, so we are taking her out to dinner tonight. We are going to a new restaurant called Olive and Mint. I think it is Mediterranean.
    Roger- I wonder if the town put in speed bumps if that would help?
    Irene-I am glad you like your new carpet and that they did a good job.
    Vix-What kind of soup are you making?
    Enjoy your day!

Hi Joanne
    Putting the snack in the basement adds exercise :)
    OTOH at least it came out OK for Vinny although it must have been scary for Vinny.

The Only place I see speed bumps is parking lots and a Private Road.

Have a Nice Day.
    Roger
  • IreneMurman
    IreneMurman Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    good afternoon, we did get a pretty big storm here we were in church when it started mass is at 5:15 by the time we got out it was pretty bad we just got lightning and thunder Annie was a little scared she crawled right up in the recliner with George in case I never said anything Annie weights 75 pounds so she isn't this tiny puppy, but she thinks she is. We went for our walk this morning and it was like 37 with wind big difference from yesterday.Not too much planed just going to go threw some stuff we brought up from trenton I will be donating more stuff it is totally amazing how much stuff we have collected in 12 years. have a great day the split pea soup sounds great.
  • Joanne3366
    Joanne3366 Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    Good morning;
    Roger-Your area seems to have some good grocery coupons.
    Irene-Poor Annie. George must have felt like he had an elephant sitting on him. :p Vinny weighs 10 lbs. but when he lays on me it feels like 50.
    Vix-I have never had homemade pea soup, but I like the NS pea soup. So homemade must tast 100% better.
    Today is an ultrasound of my kidneys to see if there was any change from last year.
    They do it right in the Dr. office now, so I don't have to go to the hospital. It is much more convenient.
    Dinner last night was good. I had a chicken Kebab and orzo salad and a very thin slice of berry tart. I was only up 2 oz. this morning, so I am happy.
    Have a great day! :)
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi
    I was out walking today and hit 6,707 steps so far. The temperature was 31 degrees vs 39 degrees yesterday and was tolerable for walking. I will be going back out later which is why the step count looks low.

Have a Great Monday
    Roger

From Here
    http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/bees-can-learn-play-soccer-score-one-insect-intelligence-180962292/
    Bees Can Learn to Play “Soccer.” Score One for Insect Intelligence
    Bees, despite their sesame seed-sized brains, are smarter than we think.
    Related Content in the article

“Often people view insects as unthinking machines,” says Clint Perry, a biologist who studies the evolution of cognition in insects at Queen Mary University of London. Science has recently challenged that human-centric assumption, by revealing that the busy buzzers can use tools, count to four, learn “foreign languages" and even experience some semblance of sugar-derived happiness—traits usually associated with larger-brained animals.

Now, Perry and his colleagues have released the results of a creative new experiment in which they essentially taught bumblebees how to play "bee soccer." The insects’ ability to grasp this novel task is a big score for insect intelligence, demonstrating that they’re even more complex thinkers than we thought. Moreover, they did it all not just in spite of their tiny brains—but because of them.

For the study, published in the February 23 issue of Science, researchers gave a group of bees a novel goal (literally): to move a ball about half their size into a designated target area. The idea was to present them with a task that they would never have encountered in nature. Not only did the bees succeed at this challenge—earning them a sugary treat—but they astonished researchers by figuring out how to meet their new goal in several different ways.

Some bees succeeded at getting their ball into the goal with no demonstration at all, or by first watching the ball move on its own. But the ones that watched other bees successfully complete the game learned to play more quickly and easily. Most impressively, the insects didn't simply copy each other—they watched their companions do it, then figured out on their own how to accomplish the task even more efficiently using their own techniques.

The results show that bees can master complex, social behaviors without any prior experience—which could be a boon in a world where they face vast ecological changes and pressures.
  • RogerToo
    Options
    good afternoon, we did get a pretty big storm here we were in church when it started mass is at 5:15 by the time we got out it was pretty bad we just got lightning and thunder Annie was a little scared she crawled right up in the recliner with George in case I never said anything Annie weights 75 pounds so she isn't this tiny puppy, but she thinks she is. We went for our walk this morning and it was like 37 with wind big difference from yesterday.Not too much planed just going to go threw some stuff we brought up from trenton I will be donating more stuff it is totally amazing how much stuff we have collected in 12 years. have a great day the split pea soup sounds great.

Hi Irene
    I was in the basement when the storm went through. It sounded exactly like what a summer Thunderstorm sounds like when the go through the area :)
    There are smaller branches up to 2inch size down on lawns and sidewalks. Not as bad a Space farms however.
    More on the page, From Here:
    http://www.nj.com/sussex-county/index.ssf/2017/02/watch_space_farms_zoo_and_museum_take_big_hit_in_s.html
    on February 26, 2017 at 11:54 AM, updated February 26, 2017 at 11:55 AM

WANTAGE -- The owners of Space Farms Zoo and Museum were up at 5 a.m. Sunday, inspecting damage from a fast-moving storm on Saturday that toppled trees and damaged buildings but spared their animals.

State Assemblyman Parker Space, the zoo's owner, pointed out a blacksmith shop, dating to the late 19th Century, that was nearly flattened by the high winds that swept through the region just before sunset Saturday.
    Storm damage at Space Farms

"A lot of history was lost last night," said Space, who was joined by his wife, Jill Space.

Other buildings also were damaged and several large trees were toppled at the neighboring Beemerville Cemetery.

Space said he planned to spend Sunday gauging the damage before moving ahead with cleanup and repairs.

He said he expects the zoo to open as scheduled for the season on March 25.

That is a fair sized Dog, I do not recall if You ever mentioned what Annie is, Am I remembering wrongly ?

Have a Good Day
    Roger
  • IreneMurman
    Options
    good morning, this morning walk was nice even though it was in the 30s there was no wind which was nice .We did find a penny . Not too much planned I brought some more stuff up to browns mills it was easter stuff I put in the basement since it is so early.So I plan on doing a little stuff and heading to trenton early. Roger its pretty cool how bees can learn how to play soccer
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Joanne3366 wrote: »
    Good morning;
    Roger-Your area seems to have some good grocery coupons.
    Irene-Poor Annie. George must have felt like he had an elephant sitting on him. :p Vinny weighs 10 lbs. but when he lays on me it feels like 50.
    Vix-I have never had homemade pea soup, but I like the NS pea soup. So homemade must tast 100% better.
    Today is an ultrasound of my kidneys to see if there was any change from last year.
    They do it right in the Dr. office now, so I don't have to go to the hospital. It is much more convenient.
    Dinner last night was good. I had a chicken Kebab and orzo salad and a very thin slice of berry tart. I was only up 2 oz. this morning, so I am happy.
    Have a great day! :)

Hi Joanne
    We get them at the checkout when buying. The best are for free foods :)
    Ones I recall getting. A Dozen free Eggs and of course the Free Bananas and there have been others from the Local ShopRite.

Wow, from what I recall the NS Pea Soup was already discontinued by NS when I joined and that has been 2+ Years Ago? I did get some when I bought surplus to needs NS foods from users on the old NS forums. One of the Money saving features I miss from there as well as a large variety of NS only users :)

Peas Soup is not hard to make and should be even easier to make if You have a Crock Pot. Just buy the bag of Dried Peas and use some Ham or Bacon to taste.

I bet that 2 ounces comes off quickly too.

Good Luck
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Even more humor posted today.
  • eku0
    Options
    Hi all...went to yoga instead of swimming this a.m. It was good. I kind of missed it. :)
    Good luck with your ultrasound, Jo.
    Irene, sounds like you're really moving along getting your house set up.
    Roger, thanks for the funnies and stories. :) I hope bees are really smart...we need them. I'm kind of scared what will happen to the environment over the next couple of years.
    I keep experimenting with my soups, adding more vegetables. I added a lot of cabbage to this one and more water, so it was much thinner and somewhat lighter than normal pea soup, but still tasty enough.
    Massage this afternoon....ahhhh. :)
    Enjoy your day.
  • IreneMurman
    Options
    Roger ,Annie is a german short hair pointer she is actually a hunting dog but we never took her hunting. She does pick up her paw and point it is really neat to see.
  • IreneMurman
    Options
    Vix I never had pea soup with cabbage now I have had it with carrots which was good
  • eku0
    Options
    I put carrots in it too. :)
  • faithfornsKathie
    faithfornsKathie Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    http://losingitafter50.freeforums.net/thread/1226/gl60-spring-ahead-starts-2017

There is a new 8 week challange starting up today and you can join today through Wednesday. It is for any age group and you can be eating NS foods or any other diet plan that you may be on. Come check it out and you will have some fun while you lose weight too.