Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Stephie - Interesting with the deadlifts. Great job!

Airgre - Nice workout. Do your ab workout cause I skipped mine. :wink:

Had class today then work. Got in a short lifting session after work since had to wait for sister and the program is 5 days a week cause it has a whole day for shoulders...

military press 2x10 @ 40 and 2x10 @ 50 with the fixed bars
    side lateral db raises 2x10 @ 10
    "hammer grip" db raises 2x10 @ 10 - I don't quite know hammer grip yet so it was more like front raises
    bent over db raises 1x10 @ 10, 1x10 @ 5 - 10 was tough and my shoulder mobility isn't the best so tried to get better range of motion

Not sure how I feel on the shoulder day. Will ponder some things.
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Are you sore yet, Stephie?

Dawn - that's some nice military presses! I'm lucky to get 50 lbs up 2-3 times in a row, nevermind 10! And bent over raises are always so humbling for me, feel like I ought to be able to lift a lot more weight.

4.2 mile run for me this morning. My *kitten* is sore from yesterday. I'm trying to envision the little protein molecules flowing through my bloodstream and growing my muscles...;)
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Aigre - nice run and funny visual with the protein molecules. Thanks for the compliment. I'm going to do more push press once the weight gets heavy but since starting off things are lighter, plus didn't have the squat rack for safety. My max is 85 push press and think I've done 75 or 80 on military but it was a while ago. I try to keep some type of overhead press in even if my program doesn't have one. Any raises humble me. The side lateral that I've done in the past is one I barely moved up. Think most I've ever done on a raise is 15 lbs.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,941 Member
    Options
    ...I should post more BOOMs.

Today, to all of you: BOOM!
  • StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    AigreDoux wrote: »
    Are you sore yet, Stephie?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I can't walk

It's been two days

Plus point - hamstrings are killing me which means at least I did use them!
  • AigreDoux
    Options
    Beeps - Boom back at ya!

Stephie - Haha! Good use of hamstrings though!

Dawn - Still good numbers!

OHP day today:
    OHP - 1x5@33 lbs, 1x5@44 lbs, 5x2@50 lbs. Notice that's 10 total, not a set of 10 like Dawn!
    Lateral raises - 4x10@8 lbs dbs
    Scrape the rack press - 4x8@35.5 lbs
    Reverse curl - 5x10@20 lbs
    Rear lateral raise - 4x12@8 lbs dbs
    Incline hammer curls - 4x10@10 lbs dbs
    Front raise - 4x10@8 lbs dbs

Have a good weekend, everyone!
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Boom!

hehe

Stephie- ow, but good point. It is almost comforting when the quads show up in the soreness cause it's hard to tell at times if they are getting their share of work done.

Aigre - hehe. Woot for the 10 total on the OHP. :wink: Great workout overall. I might have to look up the rack press one, never heard of scrape the rack press.

Today was supposed to be deadlift but worked at the other location and the gym nearby has the hex plates and well, just one squat rack (but 4 benches). Going to have to workout the schedule once I official start the 10 week program so that I'm on upper body days there. I switched for today and did the upper body accessories, ish.

band pull aparts, 2x12 for warm up
    wide grip bench press 4x10 @ 45
    preach curls 1x10 with the ez bar, 2x10 with 10 added
    tricep pushdown with rope 3x10 @ 60
    face pull 3x12 @ 60
    dip attempt with assisted machine, 2x6 @ 60 assistance
    30 minute walk treadmill at a 3 with an incline of 2

So, it was a little out of order first off as the cable portion was taken so did the curls earlier in the rotation. The program also suggested weighted dips but umm, I can't do regular dips. Considering the dip machine if there is one or just doing the assisted attempts. I added face pulls cause I wanted to do so. Also supposed to do calf raises but haven't even used a hack squat thing before let alone for calves. And no idea what to do for abs.

Now to study or write. Tomorrow is no work so study, write, and maybe film for youtube.
  • aubreyjordan
    aubreyjordan Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I just finished Stage 1!!

Start (1-23-17) - Finish (3-4-17)

Workout A

Squats: BW to 40lbs plus bar (Smith Machine)
    Push Ups: 60 degrees to regular!
    Seated Rows: 20 lbs to 75lbs
    Step-Ups: Short Step with 10lb dumbbells to Higher Step with 20lb barbell
    Prone Jackknives: Couldn't complete 8 to 15

Workout B

Deadlift: 20lb barbell to 35 lbs (plus Olympic bar)
    Dumbbell Shoulder Press: 10 lbs to 20 lbs
    Wide-Grip Lat Pulldown: 40 lbs to 70 lbs
    Lunge: BW and could only do 5 out of 15 to 30lb barbell! (HATE lunges, btw haha)
    Swiss Ball Crunch*: BW doing 15 instead of 8 to switching to decline bench with BW and 3 sets of 12
    *The Swiss Ball wasn't giving me a challenge, so I switched them out for the decline bench :D

I will weigh in and do measurements Monday or Tuesday. Would like the water weight and muscle swelling to go down first :D

At 1 month, my stats hadn't changed much, so I'm not sure they'll have changed much in another 2 weeks time. Part of that was my diet. But I feel strong. I've never felt strong before! I can do a real push up. I'm not afraid of the weight section. I'm very excited to see how I progress through the next several stages!
  • AigreDoux
    Options
    Aubrey - congrats on finishing Stage 1! Great progress!

Dawn - I had never heard of scrape the rack press either. Basically, if I am doing it right, you lift the bar from the pegs and keep it in contact with the rack as you push it up. As you can imagine, it has the potential to make a terrible racket and also damage the bar/rack. So I wrap my bar in lifting straps at that point of contact. It's not my favorite, though.

Saturday I did deadlifts:
    Deadlift - 1x5@103 lbs, 1x5@123 lbs, 5x2@135 lbs
    Inverted row - 5x8
    Chin ups - 10x4 with assistance band
    Meadow rows - 5x12 with bar
    Cable rows - 4x12 with resistance band
    Bent over rows - 4x12@17.5 lbs

Then yesterday I ran 7.8 miles, 10:10 pace

Today is a rest day. This week is a deload week in preparation for testing 1RMs next week. If I add 5 lbs to my maxes from this cycle, I'll be happy.
  • SuperMelinator
    SuperMelinator Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Aubrey - Nice Job!! Keep it up and you will see some changes. :)

Dawn and Aigre - Thanks for weighing in on spotters.

Stephie - That's awesome and totally worth the soreness!!!
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Aigre - Interesting. I still am not sure if I do rack pulls right, rarely ever do them, so not sure I'll be trying that any time soon but never know. Nice session as usual with both the lifting and the run.

Super - No problem. :smile:

Aubrey - Congrats on finishing stage 1. That is awesome! And oo for 1rm testing, that's always fun.

For me, today was a bit of an off day. I did go to the gym today even though today was a super lazy one overall. Slept a fair amount as I went to bed a little early yesterday, yet was cold and tired so spent most of the morning on the couch. My period started yesterday, so that hasn't helped with the food factor for this first week in the cut. Lunch today was a container of Ben & Jerry's (not the best diet or dairy wise) though it has been in the freezer for about a month, so guess I do have okay self control for the most part. It was brownie batter core and my verdict is that the original brownie batter ice cream was better. I don't like cold chunks of brownies in my ice cream though they were okay. Anyways, I then napped as had headache and was using heating pad, which brings me to the other nuisance.

Not sure what I did but have pain in my left shoulder. It as a bit of a dull ache last night and I sleep on my stomach with one arm/hand under the pillow switching between left and right throughout the night. That didn't really help. I used my heating pad this morning but all day it has ached. There was pain while lifting, on elliptical, treadmill, while standing... And mobility is limited. Got an ice pack so going to try doing some cold/heat alternating and hope it improves soon though may have a rough night sleep on the couch tonight to limit myself to the right side.

Deadlift day

10 minutes on elliptical for warm up
    deadlift 2x8 @ 135, 1x8 @ 165 and with belt 1x10 @ 185 - Was going to go below 135 but had a plate count fail then couldn't find 2.5's in order to get the 190. The program says 189 but yeah, not going to get that exact.
    sldl off block 2x8 @ 135 - had to reset on the first set and did second with under/over grip
    yates row off block 2x8 @ 65 - Tried 95 but was a struggle. In pain on this one but tried to keep elbows in for it.
    wide grip lat pulldown - nope, too much pain
    one arm db row - 2x10 @ 25 - painful but managed to make it through with the light weight
    glute cable kickback 3x10 @ 20 - added this just cause
    30 minutes walking on treadmill with slight incline

So yeah, now I'm hope and studying or trying to make myself study. Calories will be around 1700 with low protein and high fat thanks to the ice cream. Oh well. Really must study. Fingers crossed shoulder doesn't hurt as much tomorrow as I'll be in pharmacy and don't need pain distraction.
  • StephieWillcox
    Options
    Had my daughter's 2 year check this morning so had the morning off work which meant I could fit in an extra long gym session before coming in :)

Squats: 3 x 6 @ 70kg
    Deadlifts: 4, 3 @ 85kg not sure what happened, they felt horrendous, was supposed to be 2 sets of 6

Back extensions: 4 x 10 with 8kg kettlebell
    Hamstring curls: 3 x 10 @ 15kg
    Plyo box jumps: 5x5 on the 60cm box (24"). It was about my knee height but felt so much higher! I did video this but I look like bambi so I am not posting it. Haha

Aigre - I apologise I may have missed it, but did you decide on your new program? Is that what you're following right now?
  • AigreDoux
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Happy Tuesday, everyone!

Dawn - sorry your shoulder is bothering you! But yum on the ice cream.

Stephie - nice session! Have never tried box jumps. 24" seems high!

You're going to wish you hadn't asked about programs! :)
    Right now I am doing a program published by Brad Dieter at Eat to Perform...it's one day of each 'big' lift plus accessories. The main lift has an assigned %1RM. It is a lot of accessories. I feel like I have been making some recomp progress on it though, currently on week 10. It goes 30 weeks. It switches to a new phase after retesting 1RMs in week 11, so I was contemplating switching. This program takes a long time, and I am wondering if it would be more efficient to be on a more "powerlifting" style program doing the main lifts more than once per week each.

I'm still worried about recovery on the 5x5 style programs, given my running.

So I looked into Wendler and bought both the books and read them but still came out sort of confused. The whole "you can do A, or maybe B. C would be ok, I guess. D is fine. E, F, G, H, I, and J are also options!" Plus, I kind of hate AMRAP :p. But still considering this with the BBB template with an upper/lower split.

Also found a program put out by Bryce Lewis at The Strength Athlete. He's assigned %1RM and RPE values to everything. It has a lot of exercises I like. It's bench heavy which I thought would be good considering my bench is awful and recovery/running issues. Some feedback from the Eat, Train, Progress forum and from the Gaining forum made it seem like this was a pretty aggressive program though, and I may have issues with recovery especially if I keep up the running.

So I still don't really know what I'm going to do after next week!

Today was bench day:
    Incline bench - 1x5@33 lbs, 3x5@55 lbs. Felt heavy at first probably because I skimped on warm up.
    Decline bench - 5x6@46.5 lbs
    DB narrow grip BP - 5x6@20 lbs DBs
    DB fly - 4x8@10lbs DBs
    Overhead tricep press - 4x8@10 lbs

Then onto the treadmill for 30 minutes of intervals, about 2.75 miles.
  • StephieWillcox
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Aigre - I did put them on Instagram in the end, they felt very high but do not look impressive. My old boss used to do MASSIVE box jump - must have been above his waist. He used to do it in a complex - so he'd sit on a bench, then stand and jump (I'm guessing to stop the pre-jump you can see me doing). He had a weighted vest on too :open_mouth:

Thanks for your thought process :) you know I'm always on the lookout for programs haha.

You can always look at candito here: http://www.canditotraininghq.com/free-programs/

He has the linear progression that I am loosely following, as well as a 6 week program.

The place I always go to find programs is powerliftingtowin, but that site appears to have a few problems at the moment! I may message the guys IG to see what's going on. He has massive reviews of each lifting program and it's application to powerlifing specifically.

• AigreDoux
    Options
    Wow, Stephie, that site is awesome! I need to spend some time reading through that, definitely. How do you like the Candito program? About how long does it take?

Today was Squats day
    Back squats: 1x5@44 lbs, 1x5@53 lbs, 1x5@64 lbs, 1x5@69 lbs (not sure why I did so many warm ups), then 3x5@83 lbs. 83 lbs is my "little big girl" plate (33 lbs bar+25 bumpers), and I remember having that as a goal while I was doing Strong. Also remember trying a rep with that weight in during Phase 6 or 7 and failing miserably. So doing 83 today for 3x5 on a deload and feeling like form was pretty good is definite progress!
    RDLs = 4x8@83 lbs
    RFESS - 4x8@20 lbs
    Reverse lunge - 4x8@44 lbs
    Back extension - 4x30@BW

Was supposed to do some ab stuff, but I always wimp out on the ab stuff, plus my oblique has been tweaking at me lately, so I am not feeling too bad about it.

Happy hump day, everyone!
  • StephieWillcox
    Options
    Aigre - I like Candito a lot to be honest. I like that the optional accessories are just that. You can change them every session if you want, you can skip them, you can do whatever you want. His only suggestion is that you stick with the same choices on the "non-optional accessories" for a month before changing.

It is supposed to be linear progression on the one I run, but with all my working on form stuff I have not been great at progressing the weights. I just pick what I feel like that day.

The 6 week template is much the same but with prescribed %'s and things.

Heavy lower day takes me about 50 - 60 minutes but I am rushed with no warm up or cool down! The other 3 days are quicker - I get through those in 45 minutes without rushing at all.

Nice work on the squats :) I was doing paused squats at 60kg the other week thinking that that was my max for so long when I was doing Stronglifts
  • AigreDoux
    Options
    Stephie - thanks! I did spend some time this morning reading through the Powerliftingtowin website as well as the Candito programs. Maybe I will jump on board with one or the other. Candito seems to suggest one can kind of alternate at will depending on how training is going. I'm kind of tempted to start with the 6 week Strength program and then go to the linear one, which I know is backwards.

I have another week to figure it out!
  • StephieWillcox
    Options
    Not backwards at all. He suggests running the two programs together. Like do a couple of cycles of the 6 week cycle and then do 2-3 months on the linear progression.

Powerlifting to win is really a pretty special site. That guy has put a lot of work into reviews and programming. He comes from the mark rippetoe school of thought on programming so it's solid theory
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Thanks. My shoulder is feeling better. The ice/heat seemed to help and didn't have too many issues today plus with very little pain today.

Went to the gym after work. It wasn't too bad though had some waiting for equipment and I decided not to do pause squats or good mornings so someone else could use the rack after me. Had the fixed safety one so had to step away from the safeties in order to squat but the weight isn't heavy yet though still on the tough side since it's 10 reps. Look forward to when it drops down to less than 6 reps per sets.

squat 2x10 @ 25, 1x10 @ 95, 2x10 @ 145
    overload 230 for 20 count
    single leg curl 2x20 @ 2 (guessing 20 or something)
    leg extension 2x10 @ 4 (40 maybe)
    single leg leg press 3x10 @ 20
    seated calf raise 3x12 @ 6 (60 ish)

The machines were a little weird as the seat moves when doing the leg curl or extension. Got the lifting done and since shoulder is doing better, hope to try out bench press tomorrow.
  • AigreDoux
    Options
    Stephie - what have you been doing for the optional exercises with Candito? Looking through, I am tempted to do something posterior chain-y like hip thrusts, RDLs for the lower day and I don't know what for upper day.

The thing about the powerlifitngtowin site is that I am not and don't have a goal of being a competitive powerlifter. So I sort of struggle when he says things like "this program doesn't make sense for a powerlifter because the ratio of bench/OHP isn't high enough". But I do sort of have issues finding where I fit into this "sport" after all. I don't want to post pictures of my butt on instagram all day, but I also don't really want to be a competitive lifter. It seems like recreational lifting doesn't have much of a presence!

Dawn - nice squats! glad your shoulder is feeling better!

4.1 mile run for me this morning. The second half, I got to turn off my flashlights which hasn't happened in forever. And since it is daylight savings' time this weekend, won't happen again for a while. In retrospect, I should not have planned my 1RM testing time at 4:30 am the week after daylight savings' time starts!