Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Yup, squats got done. 7 sets tho - far out, depth was lacking towards the end. Followed by front squat, lunges and leg press. Thanks coach! lol

Yesterday was bench aka tricep death. So 7 sets bench, then close grip bench, DB bench and the worst.... tricep dips (on the wall bars not a bench) and tricep push ups. OMG. I suck. I had to do 25 reps of each - well the dips got done in sets of 4's hahaha

Today is combat. Tomorrow is DLs at the club which I'm excited about
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Jo - sounds like quite the work out. I don't even really know how to do tricep dips or well, any dips in general.

Aigre - nice workouts you have there too.

Decent day at work followed by squats. Decided to stick with 185 again since increasing now would lead to a struggle at the end. Going to have to adapt the end of this a little because no way I could do 237 at the "meet". I will just be happy to get 220 since 215 was my last 1 rep max.

squat - 2x10 @ 45, 1x10 @ 95, 1x8 @ 135, with belt 1x5 @ 165 and 2x5 @ 185
    overload - 20 count @ 255
    single leg curl - 2x9 @ 40
    leg extension - 2x10 @ 70
    single leg press - 3x10 @ 30
    leg press (for fun) - 1x10 @ 180
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Bench session after work.

band pull apart - 3x15 with yellow band (need to get the medium one out)
    bench - 2x10 @ 45, 1x8 @ 75, 2x5 @ 100
    closed grip bench - 1x8 @ 45, 1x8 @ 65 and 2x4 @ 85
    incline bench - 1x8 @ 45, 2x5 @ 70
    rotary calf - 2x20 @ 172
    35 minutes on treadmill at 5 incline and 3 speed and 5 minute cool down decreasing incline

The closed grip were supposed to be 5 reps but the last ones were terrible. Almost couldn't push up on them and elbows were all over the place, so counting 4 instead of 5, Probably won't increase on those and yeah, no way could I have done them paused at this weight. Glad I switched it to paused wide grip.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Long day today with work at the other store followed by gym to use up time before my sister could pick me up. Then we stopped at a grocery outlet as don't have much at home grocery wise. Lunch was delicious though as I got tacos from a food truck that always parks nearby and a cup of fruit from a fruit stand with spicy seasoning on it. mmm

Shoulders
    ohp - 2x10 @ 45 and 1x6 @ 65, push press 1x2 @ 65 and 2x6 @ 75
    side lateral raise - 2x10 @ 12.5
    front db raise - 2x10 @ 12.5
    bent over raise - 2x10 @ 10
    leg raise - 2x10 @ bw
    dry sauna for 15 minutes
    60 minutes on treadmill, almost all at 4 incline and 3 speed while reading ptce prep book

So much studying to do still but am tired. I didn't sleep well at all last night so hoping to get a decent amount tonight.
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    That does sound like a long day, Dawn. But yeay for tacos!

Came down with the plague on Tuesday. Managed to avoid getting sick all winter, despite 2 kids in preschool, then get hit with a nasty cold as soon as the weather turns nice! Not fair!

Tried to get back into things this morning, but still not feeling myself.

Candito Linear Program, Control Lower Day
    Back squat w pause - 6x4@34 kg Form awful and this felt super hard, though 33 kg last time felt very reasonable.
    Paused deadlift - feeling wrecked after squats, so just did 3x4@83 lbs. I could go much heavier but not today.
    Skipped the optional exercises and crawled back in bed for an extra 15 minutes.

Hoping to feel better tomorrow.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Aigre - yeah, it tends to be long when going to the other store with driving and such. Hope you feel better asap.

Spent an hour on the treadmill today as I don't work until 3 pm but have been over in the area since 11 am. I work until 11 pm, so another longish day but brought laptop this time. Will at least get to be online some though battery won't last the whole time. Studying some too.
  • AigreDoux
    Options
    Dawn, you have way more treadmill patience than me!

Doing a little better today. Did candito linear program, control upper day.
    Spoto press - 6x4@28 kg
    Paused db row - 6x4@30 lbs
    OHP 1x10@18 kg
    Chin ups - 2x5@1.5 inch band assist
    Overhead tricep push - 3x8@12 lbs
    Hammer curls - 3x8@12 lbs dbs

Now need to go outside and dig some holes for some bushes we are planting. Happy weekend everyone!
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Aigre - Eh, the treadmill never bothered me. Not a fan of stairs or bikes but I'd like to have a treadmill some day. Still, outside in a big park is way better. ooo planting. Have fun!

Yesterday was a bit of a meh day. Going to Panera for writing group was fine but didn't stay too long as didn't feel like getting out power chord for my laptop, so only got a little writing done. Didn't go to gym as sister had the car most of the afternoon and all evening plus I was being lazy at home. Had a bit of a headache most of the day and tried to sleep but couldn't really. Wasn't hungry but control went out window anyways so ate too many candies, mostly Reese's and ended up with a bit of indigestion from it. Did have a nice two hours of lying on the couch cuddling with Chloe, the cat, while watching Family Guy.

Woke up today and tried to stay in bed super long but got bored so was up at 9:30 (late but still was trying for closer to 10) and ended up going to the gym. Figured would put those extra calories from yesterday to good use and get deadlifts done. Plus, I like deadlifts.

deadlift - 1x10 @ 115, 1x10 @ 135, 1x6 @ 185, belt 1x5 @ 205, belt+chalk 1x5 @ 235
    sdl on 35 plate - 2x8 @ 155
    yates rows on 35 plate - 2x8 @ 95
    clean - 1x8 @ 45, 1x8 @ 65, 1x1 then failed attempts at 75 and 1x8 @ 65
    one arm db row - 1x10 @ 40

The deadlifts were okay. Wasn't sure as last time did 8 reps at 185 and it didn't feel quite there this time, but still managed the 235 instead of 225 for 5 reps. Next week get to move to 3 reps instead of 5, woot. The rows were a bit challenging this week and obviously cleans didn't go so well but eh, that's okay. db row was fine.

Now I'm all done and ready for work since I have the 3-11pm shift. Will go early so sister can do an audience work thing, which means I'll spend over an hour in Starbucks with my laptop and need to study since didn't do any yesterday. 2 weeks until I take the test.

• DawnEmbers
    Options
    An okay day off today. May have had a couple too many candies, again, but not quite at bad as yesterday. Still a little closer to maintenance than want on this cut. Still, going to have to control a little more with the easter candy. It also has given me a little indigestion so might be able to cut back for a few days, at least. ;-)

Went to gym mid-day for upper body accessories. It was okay. Not too busy or anything. Did have some guy try to compliment me on the weights lifted for the cable tricep pushdown but ended up sticking his foot in his mouth by going too far into the whole, you should try higher weight and more reps to get rid of the unwanted stuff (meaning fluff... yeah). I know he meant well at least.

wide grip pause bench - 2x10 @ 45, 1x8 @ 65 and 2x5 @ 75
    tricep push down with bar - 3x10 @ 80
    overhead tricep extension - 2x10 @ 40
    seated preacher curl - 1x10 @ bar, 2x10 @ bar+10 (tried 10's instead of the 5's but no go)
    walk on treadmill for 40 minutes at 5 incline and 3 speed and 5 minute cool down
  • StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Hiiiii - Sorry I have been MIA over the past couple of weeks - we moved house last Wednesday so it's been rather chaotic. I love our new house so so much so it was worth it. Even if we are now in an eye watering amount of mortgage debt :)

Hoping to make it back to the gym this lunchtime so I'll update you when I'm back.

Glad you see you are all working hard still, have a great Tuesday!
  • AigreDoux
    Options
    Stephie - Moving is so stressful! Glad it all worked out though!

Dawn - ugh, what a silly thing for that guy to say!

Today was Candito Linear Program, Heavy Lower Day
    Back squats - 3x6@90 lbs after warm up
    Deadlifts - 2x6@125 lbs
    Hip thrusts - 3x12@83 lbs
    Back extensions - 3x12@BW

Short but sweet, weights moving up.
  • StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Back from the gym - trying out ANOTHER new program (no one shout) which is more focused on conditioning.

Only one day of "strength" although it is drizzled around the program. Today was strength

Squats: 4x5 @ 70kg
    Romanian DLs: 4x5 @ 70kg

Incline DB press: 3x6 @ 15kg DB's supersetted with
    Wide grip lat pulldown: 3 x 5 @ 40kg

Pushups: 3 x 8 on bar 4 of smith supersetted with
    Inverted rows: 3 x 8 on bar 8 of smith

Hanging leg raise (bent legs): 2 x 6 supersetted with
    Planks 2 x 30 seconds

Finished off with 2 shuttle runs (10 down to 1, then rest, then repeat)

It was pretty long, but I think I can shorten it once I know what's coming next. The shuttle runs dam nearly killed me, but indicates that I should really do some cardio.
  • AigreDoux
    Options
    Haha, Stephie, another new program! Which one is this one?

Candito Linear Program, Heavy Upper Day today
    Bench press - 3x6@29 kg. Was feeling really smooth until I realized I was supposed to have increased to 30 kg today, since 29 kg was the same weight I did last week. Oops.
    DB row - 3x6@30 lbs
    OHP - 1x6@22 kg
    Chin ups - 2x3@1 1/8" band assist
    Lateral raises - 3x12@8 lbs
    Rear lateral raises - 3x12@8 lbs
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Stephie - good luck with the new program
    Aigre - nice work on the bench even if it wasn't quite the right weight ;-)

Had a morning lifting session in order to get squats done as I traded shifts with a coworker because his band has a gig tonight. Got a chance to try out the SizeSlim pre-workout. Strawberry-kiwi, which also wasn't sweet but had good flavor overall.

Squats
    2x10 @ 45, 1x10 @ 95, 1x8 @ 135
    with belt 1x5 @ 165 and 2x3 @ 195
    single leg curls 2x10 @ 40
    leg extension 2x10 @ 70

Had a guy help me check the angle on the phone camera when I was filming the first 195 squat set. He also was nearby just in case, I noticed, during the set. I am really a slow squatter and as I near my max it does look like I might fail. Had the safeties but nice of him to consider helping. I've failed on bench at other locations and not a single person made a peep, let alone came over to help with the bar and that was a busy gym too. Luckily I can get over 100 lbs off without assistance even when I fail. Feeling okay with the squats considering doing this peak cycle on a cut, though we'll see how it goes once the numbers go up above 200.

My left arm is a little sore thanks to getting a tetanus shot yesterday. Joy of helping in pharmacy. Not only do I have to ask people if they remember when they last had a shot, but the pharmacist then asked me... so yeah, I got one. Also, there was a measuring tape up on the wall so I stood near it just for fun when I was waiting and wasn't a fan. I haven't had someone else check in years but came out at 4'11" instead of having an extra half inch. Don't want to start shrinking yet.

Hopefully this preworkout gives me long day energy because I still have cardio to do. I'll be near work 4 hours before my shift so will need to use up time again. More studying while walking on the treadmill. Might also get a cold brew from dunkin donuts. It's a further walk but I have a free drink that I haven't used yet through the app. Like starbucks but gets old going to the same place every week. Still might end up there depending on how long things take since I'm working at 3 pm. Going to be a long day indeed.

• AigreDoux
    Options
    Dawn - that does sound like a long day!

Out for a nice 5k run this morning. Need to get back in running momentum. Hoping the warmer weather and getting light out earlier will help.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Aigre - it was quite long and so will tomorrow, though not going to gym before heading out near work, just the one stop this time.

Yesterday, I went to the gym near work and did the couple of accessories had left followed by an hour on the treadmill reading/studying. Then got the dunkin' donuts cold brew, which was delicious but all too easy to drink considering it's not that low in calories. Though I should have waited on that one and tried the unicorn frappe at starbucks instead but didn't know about it until later and didn't want to get two calories drinks in one day, not while on a cut that already isn't going as well as I want. Worked my shift, which was kind of slow. Then had to be at the other store in the morning today.

Even though sister switched her internship so she doesn't have it on Thursdays anymore, I still wanted to use the gym after work as I like the location of the dry sauna at this one. I forgot to check what numbers I was supposed to bench so was guessing, based off my previous notes, but got it a little wrong as I check the wrong page. Still did okay. May have had a few pastries as lunch that helped with that...

Bench

2x10 @ 45, 1x8 @ 75, 1x5 @ 100 and 2x4 @ 105 (guess I was supposed to do 2x3)
    closed grip bench 1x8 @ 45, 1x8 @ 65 and 2x5 @ 80 (did even less than last time, oops)
    incline bench 1x10 @ 45 and 2x5 @ 75
    15 minutes in dry sauna
    35 minutes walking on treadmill, 30 at a 5 incline while reading
  • AigreDoux
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Dawn - love the pastry fuel!

Candito Linear Program, Control lower day
    Pause squat - 6x4@34 kg, same as last week, but felt better
    Pause deadlift - 3x4@105 lbs
    Front squat - 3x8@15 kg, not trying to load this, just get the movement down
    RDL - 3x8@25 kg

Happy Friday, everyone!
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Aigre - me too, it was tasty. ;-)

Easy day today as it was Shoulders. Was near work early so did the shoulder exercises then an hour on the treadmill reading textbook.

side lateral raise - 2x12 @ 12.5
    front singe raise - 2x12 @ 12.5
    standing db shoulder press - 2x8 @ 25
    bent over side raise - 2x12 @ 10
    face pulls - 2x8 @ 85 and 1x12 @ 70
    for fun did 2x5 @ 100 on seated row while waiting to do face pulls as half of the cable spots are currently broken at this location
    hour on treadmill most of which at a 4 incline and 3 speed while reading
  • aubreyjordan
    aubreyjordan Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! Been MIA with life, but still lifting! I finished Stage 2 last week. I had started, got halfway through, then pulled something in my quad. I ended up taking a week off to make sure it fully healed, then re-started stage 2, and dropping the weight on any leg exercises. Since I started, I've only lost 3.8 lbs BUT I've lost 6.25 inches all over!! Pretty excited about that!

I start Stage 3 tomorrow and I'm really worried about the Dumbbell Snatches. I've watched several form videos, but I'm afraid I'll throw my back out or accidentally throw the weight and break someone's face O_O. I've also never seen anyone do these in my gym. Is there an alternative, safer looking exercise? Or am I over thinking this?
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Aubrey - nice to see you and great job lifting. The dumbbell snatch really isn't that bad. Maybe do a test run with the lighter dumbbells first to see how it goes. Like with anything, work on form first then increase the weights. And people really shouldn't walk right in front of you anyways when lifting so if they get hit well they were the dumb ones not paying attention. ;-)

Off to a better start today in general for me. Yesterday, had food before going to write group cause trying to have something before drinking a bunch of coffee so don't feel as bleh after. But then at home for lunch had basically the rest of my days calories. Napped a little, which helped but so by evening was a little more productive with dishes and stuff. Sister ended up being out at her friends all afternoon/evening so I just lounged. Had a hard time going to sleep last night too so ended up being a long set of hours but no foods. Cut is sucking right now and no scale progress, which isn't helping but I'm pushing through still.

Today, I slept in since didn't fall asleep until around 3 am but still managed to get to gym. Might just go with Sunday's as deadlift day instead of trying to get it on Saturday's. I had a little coffee, the leftovers from Panera, but that's about it so far and feel fine. I work 3-11 pm but going early to study since have a week until my test. Deadlifts went pretty well too.

10 minute warmup on elliptical
    deadlift 2x10 @ 135, 1x8 @ 185, with belt 1x5 @ 205 and 1x4 @ 245
    sdl - 1x10 @ 155
    yates row - 2x8 @ 95
    clean - 1x8 @ 45, 1x8 @ 65 and 1x5 @ 75
    walked on treadmill for 30 minutes at 5 incline and 3 speed then a cool down

Deadlift was supposed to be 1x3 but felt decent so decided to do a 4th rep. Last peak cycle I had to do 2x3 for it them 3x1 at 155 followed by 1x2. Next weekend I'll tried 1x3 @ 255 and see how it goes since my current max is the 1x2 at that weight. Now to figure out lunch besides the cold brew I'll be getting at starbucks plus dinner since I'll be at work. Nicer having more calories available in the afternoon/evening for sure.